An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Carthage may be held if they can win a naval victory and hold the siege back until later troops come. In the East the Romans will have to humble themselves because unless they manage a victory like Andreas' there is nothing they can do but negotiate. Hungary should be the main focus of the war once the eastern troops are brought back.

Hm, the imperial fleet should be free to sail to Carthage and break the naval blockade (and reinforce the garrison with marines)? Magyars don't have a major fleet and Ottomans don't have coast in Med.

Loved the scene with Demetrios. I hope this three-front war finally manage to change things strategically for Rhomania. Messing in Mesopotamia doesn't pay, time to fix the border for good (like the French-Spanish one). Playing in western Mediterranean sea is useless and kick once and for all Hungary down (too powerful and too close to the capital, it doesn't work as a buffer, so that's going to be a hot border for a while).

The Hungarian front ask for Vlach intervention! :p

Hungary is too powerful right now (and to boot there's a risk for the Vlachs of Polish intervention). Rhomania is still risking a lot right know with Iskandar just to challenge their invasion, maybe, maybe if Hungary was soundily defeated, but I doubt an outcome like the battle of the Iron Gates is likely. Just stopping them and getting essentialy the pre-war status quo would be a major victory for the Romans.

Please let the Empire crack some more. Rhomania has to be humbled properly.

óchi!

If anything, this teaches the Empire that it needs to stablise the Middle Eastern border with a peace with Iskandar - let him have the black stone and his title. The Romans need to bring Hungary to kneel! With the Carpathian basin under Roman control, European invasions can be kept away from Greece. The Vlachs could benefit from gaining Transylvania as well.

Plus, the entire region benefits from the Danube as a waterway rather than a frontier.

While the overall situation is not good, it's far from bad. At the very least, no enemy armies in front of the Constantinopole and no dynastic crisis. Of the three threats Iskander is the greatest, and he's far from the Empire vital regions. Actually, I wonder how will his country do after he dies, since only his inspired leadership stopped the Imperial hammer. Hungary is the closest, but also the lightest threat - and they seem to forget that the Empire won't be at war forever with other threats, and even if they (improbably) win now, the Imperials will later make them pay for it through their nose.
As a side question, what is the situation now over the Atlantic? And what is the name of that continent?

If Demetrios was using Arab equivalent titles for the Hungarian King he would have used Malik, not Sultan. Malik is the Arab word for king while Sultan is the Turkish equivalent.

I'm guessing Timur II has gone down in history as quite a let down then?
It is clear that Demetrios is on the rise but how high can he go? He probably has the most prestigious lineage in the entire world so that'll always put a target on his back.

If Demetrios was using Arab equivalent titles for the Hungarian King he would have used Malik, not Sultan. Malik is the Arab word for king while Sultan is the Turkish equivalent.
Sultan is the Islamic equivalent.Most Arab rulers who are essentially kings have used the term Sultan in reference to themselves.Malik is the more secular version.

Sultan is the Islamic equivalent.Most Arab rulers who are essentially kings have used the term Sultan in reference to themselves.Malik is the more secular version.
Yes, yes it is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a Turkish word bore primarily by Turkish, Iranian, and other non-Arab rulers. The title only came with the Seljuk Sultanate and at least in this time period I am unaware of any Arab Sultanates. They almost always tended to be Emirates with the title Sultan used by non-Arab kings in Berber North Africa, Iran, Mamluk Egypt, or India.

Yes, yes it is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a Turkish word bore primarily by Turkish, Iranian, and other non-Arab rulers. The title only came with the Seljuk Sultanate and at least in this time period I am unaware of any Arab Sultanates. They almost always tended to be Emirates with the title Sultan used by non-Arab kings in Berber North Africa, Iran, Mamluk Egypt, or India.
That's arguably because most rulers before the Turks were pretending to be governors for the Caliph or actually claimed that they were Caliphs.As for the term Sultan,pretty sure it's an Arab word,not a Turkish word.

That's arguably because most rulers before the Turks were pretending to be governors for the Caliph or actually thought that they were Caliphs.As for the term Sultan,pretty sure it's an Arab word,not a Turkish word.

Huh, you're right. The Turkish word came from an Arab term meaning power and strength. I always thought it was a Turkish title. It doesn't change that the term Sultan started being used because of Turkish invasions of the Middle East but it does have Arab origins as a word, if not as a title. Fascinating.

I am rereading the timeline again, it has got so complicated that I lost track of everything.

I find myself to be quite fond of Nikephoros, he is actually a pretty competent emperor. And I detest Venera and Alexeia, crazy bitches.

Georgia can only blame themselves for the death of Prince Zviad for harbouring the family of Herakleios.

I find the Oxthodox War to be quite unbelievable

Usurpation has happened in the Empire for many times and it is quite seldom for another country to intervene. Why would Russia fight the Romans for money? They are big trading partner!

I have no idea why Alexeia who ask the Russians, Georgian and Vlach to attack the Empire can ever be a Empress, it is just the worst treason any Roman could have done.

Sorry for making comments about story that's so long ago. Enjoying the TL a lot though I think some part stretch a little bit.

Donald Reaver: Ambitious is a nice way to put it. I’d use something in the ‘dumb’ category myself.

Luis3007: Carthage itself has a good chance if morale holds. The Barbary corsairs are quite formidable but can’t take the Imperial navy head-on, and both they and the Romans know it. Mouley Ismail is hoping for perhaps a lucky break in his favor, or at the very least that a major show of force will enable him to exact significant concessions.

Stark: One advantage the Romans have is naval supremacy. Carthage itself is well defended and Sicilian tourmai are available to reinforce the garrison (anything that distracts al-Izmirli away is a good thing in Messina’s eyes).

Neptune: No map. I don’t like making maps.

Arrix85: Yeah, the whole North Africa tangent was a stupid waste in my opinion. Rhomania should focus its efforts securing absolute dominance of everything east of Malta/Messina and let the Latins and corsairs kill each other. Demetrios II is way too ‘intervention-happy’. Mecca was going too far. Occupying Jedda would’ve been enough of a ‘bug off’ motion. If that had been it, the Eternal War might have been avoided.

Aegis03florin: The Vlachs are absolutely ecstatic at this turn of events. The glow of a joint war against the Hungarians has been the dream of the Vlach Kings for over a hundred years.

Jkarr: The Empire has overextended itself and does need to consolidate. I am setting up the groundwork for the First World War.

RogueTraderEnthusiast: Yeah, the Romans have gotten a little too entrenched in ‘Iskandar can’t have the Black Stone’ mindset. Perhaps if he offered all of the trans-Aras Georgian lands back for it but he’s not that generous.

Sir Omega: Iskandar is the Andreas Niketas of the Ottoman Empire, a brilliant leader and a beloved sovereign. The problem is what comes after they are gone.

The New World is known as Numenor or the Sunset Lands. Caribbean is a mix of various colonies with sugar and tobacco plantations already well established and producing for the European market. Al-Andalus and Portugal have growing colonies in OTL Brazil. The Empire of Mexico is doing well exporting silver. Further north New England is also growing rapidly with a sizeable trade sending naval goods back to the Triple Monarchy. Even further north Vinland has a thriving fur export sector going but pretty much nothing else.

Evilprodigy: Disregarding linguistics, Demetrios was going for insults and Sultan is a much better known title than Malik in the Latin sphere. The Romans know the difference (the Idwaits are explicitly ruled by a Malik and not a Sultan) but don’t care in this context.

ImperatorAlexander: In Roman eyes Timur II is an ‘exciting beginning, lame end’. In Ottoman eyes he’s one of the demons of the steppe, albeit not quite in the same category as Timur himself or Shah Rukh.

Gianna Rivera: I grew to like Nikephoros the more I wrote about him. He was one of those people who are ruthless scumbags but sometimes that is good in a sovereign. Venera of course absolutely detested him as she blamed him for the murder of her husband and firstborn son.

As for the Orthodox War, Venera really thought that the vast bulk of the Empire and army would rally to her and her children and thought that no more than a show of force would be needed. She managed to convince the Vlachs, Georgians, and Russians of that so they expected a lot of gain for very little work. They were all roundly shocked by the vehement Roman reaction; a native Roman would’ve known better but Venera was both from Georgia and also obsessed with deposing Nikephoros.

How has Western Christendom reacted to the Hungarian Invasion? IIRC even the two Popes were heaping praise on the Romans for taking Mecca, I would imagine they won't be too happy that Hungary is taking resources away from the fight against Islam, returning the Black Stone back to Mecca would be a huge loss of prestige for all of Christendom.

How has Western Christendom reacted to the Hungarian Invasion? IIRC even the two Popes were heaping praise on the Romans for taking Mecca, I would imagine they won't be too happy that Hungary is taking resources away from the fight against Islam, returning the Black Stone back to Mecca would be a huge loss of prestige for all of Christendom.
My guess is that it would be rather complicated. Avignon, traditionally the most Pro-Roman Papacy, has Hungary as one of its premier supporters. Meanwhile, Mainz-Rome is traditionally hostile (the 10th Crusade and all that), but The Romans are fighting the infidel, and the HRE and Rome are getting along well, at least for now, in addition to the Hungarian war.