An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

UH, I got the chills reading this chapter. Basileus, you're not only master of alt history, you've become a master writer as well.

Tjakari: Indeed, although their name makes me constantly think of cheese. :D

Ain: Thank you. :)

NPC: I agree. Sometimes strong friendships begin just on the basis of a common enemy/hatred. In that respect ghazis have been a source of strength for the Romans. Their victims, in search of security and vengeance, often look towards the Romans who are quite happy to provide in exchange for loyalty and services.

Huehuecoyotl: I thought it was pretty funny that the thread grew so big it was straining the server. However I was interested in seeing how big I could get it before I was suddenly interrupted.

Stark: Thank you very much. :)

The Finished TL thread is now updated to 1599, so it is only a couple of updates behind the current update.

1) Work makes you free
2) The Grenadier and the Mosque
3) “I’m not about to get run down by an Englishman!”
4) Coal, cotton, and the wine-dark sea
Numbers one and two have been unveiled.
...I have no idea what the other two will be about.
Anyone want to make guesses?

How important were these losses for the Ottoman army? Were they relatively disposable raiders made up of ghazis? Or were they less replaceable Ottoman regulars? Either it's great to see the Romans start to make progress in this war.

Hmmmm if the Romans are starting to go to "active" war with the Ottomans, what about sending some ships to raid the coast of the Persian Gulf? Do the Ottomans have any fleet that can match the Romans Eastern ships?

Good to see the romans do well, even if the circumstances were optimal (but they made so), next time we'll see.

What I don't understand it's why they insist about not keeping Raqqa or Nisibis (if they manage to take them). I understand Costantinople doesn't want more muslim subjects, but it's not like the area is so populated and that region is a good buffer, the current war has shown quite clearly that the Ottomans without even trying really hard broke through the defences along the Euphrates and the ghazis got near Aleppo and Antioch

(EDIT: before the war the point about the muslim pop was understandable, but now...)

It's not like proposing to hold Mosul and nothern Mesopotamia. Doesn't seem a good idea to give up a good buffer for another (Tabriz and Urmia).

Last edited:
Hmmmm if the Romans are starting to go to "active" war with the Ottomans, what about sending some ships to raid the coast of the Persian Gulf? Do the Ottomans have any fleet that can match the Romans Eastern ships?

Aren't the Roman ships in the east busy with the other Muslims that have gone to war with them in India and Indonesia?

Aren't the Roman ships in the east busy with the other Muslims that have gone to war with them in India and Indonesia?

Yeah, No help from Rhomania-in-the-East is coming (or not in any useful quantity). If anything the romans there need help and fast from the motherland to keep up with the mounting threats (with the portuguese increased presence).

About a naval side of the war I'd say the Ethiopians are surely gone (not that they were anything remarkable) and they're gonna suffer along the swahili coast (again the portuguese). The Omani I think they are still "spent", it's a miracle if the hold Hormuz, let alone go on the offensive. Although I did hope they would unify Arabia as a friendly power to Rhomania I don't think it will happen.

Basically the "soft underbelly" thing about the Ottomans is becoming a myth. And there is no reason to believe Hamadan won't manage to exploit this moment of respite to build a decent defensive navy(probably not a blue-water one, but still).

3 looks like a new war between Arles and the Triunes...

I think it's more likely be said by a Dutch (given the fact that the king of the UKs is more interested in the Flanders that anything arletian).

Could be said by a roman merchant in the Indian ocean (the ship lords are starting to suffer there, especially theatened by the portuguese, to feel that way also by the triunes would be unacceptable).

Both my options are way too predictable, won't happen.

I'm completely in the "dark" (pun intended) on 4.

Yeah, No help from Rhomania-in-the-East is coming (or not in any useful quantity). If anything the romans there need help and fast from the motherland to keep up with the mounting threats (with the portuguese increased presence).

Romans can create Larger canal. Earlier Suez. Regardless, The Romans should have more ships than the Portuguese. The Portuguese have to go a longer route. I read something that during the Islamic rebellion in Egypt the Romans had more merchants ships going than the Portuguese.

The only one being threatened is Pyrgos colony in Heraclean Islands/Philippines. Otherwise, the base of operations are safe - New Constantinople/Spice Islands and Roman Ceylon.

However, Pyrgos has no value for the Romans. Not unless I am missing something from the story.

New Constantinople is the end port due to the spice production. Thus, most important route is the malacca straits going to Roman Ceylon towards the Red Sea. Strategic wise, better make sure everyone is friendly in Malacca and Sumatra or pacify them through conquest.

In any case, I dont know what B444 did to that area if Islam dominance proceeded like OTL or if the Hindu kingdoms like Majapahit survive like the Romans since the POD is within the timeframe when things can change in South East Asia.

Just realized that with Egypt having gone through war, Rhomania's grain merchants will have taken their money to Russia again.
Hopefully this will help Russia start growing again after the savage beating it took.

Every time a new update comes I get the desire to continue my Roman playthrough in EU 3.

Anyone here got any experience about Roman gameplay in EU 4?

Last edited:
Every time a new update comes I get the desire to continue my Roman playthrough in EU 3.

Anyone here got any experience about Roman gameplay in EU 4?

I also have that with my latest ERE game in EU3 (with MEIOU mod), it's awesome :p. I managed to completely chang the culture of the levant to greek except gaza and tadmur, Greek-ified a large part of serbia and coastal croatia and have some greek culture provinces in orthodoxified Yemen (I wonder if cultural shift are still a thing in EU4?).

Anyway, I'll start with EU4 after finals in june, and I'm very seriously considering making a mod for this timeline (based on the Meiou and Taxes mod). And also a mod for the "House of palaiologos" timeline...

From what I hear starting as Byzantium makes the game impossible or almost, but with Serbia or Venice you can manage to recreate the ERE

From what I hear starting as Byzantium makes the game impossible or almost, but with Serbia or Venice you can manage to recreate the ERE

People make the Byzantine start out to be harder than it is. Ally Poland, invade Ragusa, Urbino, Serbia and Bosnia, wait for the Ottomans to declare war, crush them. After your first war with the Ottomans, ally Austria and cruise to more victories.

Culture converting Anatolia is a requirement.:p

In the older versions it was possible to blockade the crossings between the Balkans and Anatolia and go to town on Ottoman Europe with the Byzantines.
Recent versions however patched the Ottomans so that they produce huge fleets of galleys to maintain naval superiority.
You need powerful allies to counter them, and if you're not fortunate enough to get good allies you're toast.