Look to the West: Thread III, Volume IV (Tottenham Nil)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
I'm really intrigued. The Great Jihad was certainly great, and the ramifications extending to the point where Korean becomes a major language in India is awesome to consider.

Will the nature of this New Imperialism be more concentrated in private hands, or will Russia and China be attempting to carve out new domains in India?

Thanks. Of course, I can't give anything away at this point ;)

I have begun updating the laconic TL on the Wiki; I've currently put in the dates for the first eight posts out of fifty for this volume. Here we go again...

You may be interested to know that I have just done a full word count, and with the caveat that this includes some unicode tags which Microsoft Word counts as words, LTTW currently stands at 820,522 words. For context, War and Peace is 587,287 and The Lord of the Rings is 455,125.

And it's about what, 1860 in the story? So if you carry on to 2019 at about the same rate it will be over 1.6 million words, in 8 or 9 volumes, which would be more than the Harry Potter series.

Thande

Donor
And it's about what, 1860 in the story? So if you carry on to 2019 at about the same rate it will be over 1.6 million words, in 8 or 9 volumes, which would be more than the Harry Potter series.
I hope I'm more than halfway through by this point. But I honestly don't know. "The tale grows in the telling", to quote Prof Tolkien.

I'm really intrigued. The Great Jihad was certainly great, and the ramifications extending to the point where Korean becomes a major language in India is awesome to consider.

Will the nature of this New Imperialism be more concentrated in private hands, or will Russia and China be attempting to carve out new domains in India?

Err, what? I missed that.

So I haven't been able to find anything on the subject But I've been wondering, there's no book format of the TL is there? I'd adore some sort of paper version of the timeline, though I realise its length may make this difficult, I just find it hard to consume such behemoths as this or Decades of Darkness in the scattered, internet form that TLs on this timeline take. If not, are there any plans? I'm sure many of us would love to buy a book copy.

I'd still like to add to the pile of praise that this TL has so deservedly gathered, the quality of the writing is consistently excellent and engaging, despite the increasingly complex nature of things. Bravo!

I hope I'm more than halfway through by this point. But I honestly don't know. "The tale grows in the telling", to quote Prof Tolkien.

I like long stories (probably because I read quickly), and would like to write one myself eventually (I have about 12k words , consisting of a prologue and parts from a few lines to 90%, of 8 non-sequential chapters, of a fantasy story written, I might post the prologue at some point)

Thande

Donor
So I haven't been able to find anything on the subject But I've been wondering, there's no book format of the TL is there? I'd adore some sort of paper version of the timeline, though I realise its length may make this difficult, I just find it hard to consume such behemoths as this or Decades of Darkness in the scattered, internet form that TLs on this timeline take. If not, are there any plans? I'm sure many of us would love to buy a book copy.

I'd still like to add to the pile of praise that this TL has so deservedly gathered, the quality of the writing is consistently excellent and engaging, despite the increasingly complex nature of things. Bravo!

Thank you. I would like to publish this electronically at some point. If there was ever a paper version, I'd have to employ that same printer Brandon Sanderson uses, which literally just invented a new kind of binding in order to publish one of his books in one volume.

A few thoughts which occurred to me while considering the map(s):

Just 30 years before the UPSA was small and unassuming, but now its color seems to be appearing everywhere. In a few hundred more updates someone could make a creepy .gif of it. If this is just the beginning, I can certainly understand the origins of the Black Scare.

Russia has certainly been busy. I wonder how its budget has been faring. Not very well, I imagine. Was this a factor in its restraint towards Poland? We'll find out eventually. Hopefully the hiatus between parts IV and V will be shorter then the one between III and IV.

It seems that Russia has refrained from annexing Lithuania completely (still, the world map will also have to be updated to account for Russian dominance there). This separation should make future reforms easier, making it less likely for Lithuania to exploit any signs of liberalization to try to break away because it's still a separate entity which can be crushed underfoot without directly influencing the rest of Russia. But it was probably a fortunate accident rather then wisdom. Antagonizing Poland for purely symbollic gains must have not only antagonized it, but also increased its internal cohesion.

It seems that, in Europe at least, this is pretty much it as far as relatively easy Russian expansion is concerned. But will Moscow realize this? Judging by hints Thande has been leaving around, it would seem that the seeds for a potentially rather large anti-Russian alliance have already been sown.

Last edited:
I wish we got more insight in the Great Indian Jihad war and William FitzGeorge's story in Bengal.

Denmark gets it back,* largely as a face-saving gesture--note that under the 'Arandite' model of the new Norden/Scandinavia, though the separate kingdoms of Denmark and Sweden are restored on paper, they function more like viceroyalties with a full customs union retained and thus the border isn't that meaningful anyway. The separation is effectively only so (a) the two pre-war Nordic kings can both keep a crown each and (b) to help bring in the support of some Swedish nobles who were lukewarm supporters of Congress Sweden for ideological reasons.

How does the limited restoration of Denmark and Sweden affect the unified Scandinavian parliament?

At this point the Bohemian Wettin king is successfully playing off the Czechs and Sudeten Germans against each other in the Diet. Czech nationalism is going to be an issue eventually, but it hasn't really blown up yet (in the short run it was satiated by breaking away from the Hapsburgs after grievances over what happened there during the potato famine).

The clash between Czech and German nationalism was inevitable once (moderate) Schmidtist ideas were widely accepted by the German public and Bohemia's neighbours started to prosper and offer the Czechs more attractive alternatives to German dominance (independent, neutral kingdom or the multicultural Danubian model).
It would not surprise me if many Czechs end up reconciling with the Habsburgs and ask for their support against the Wettins.

Speaking of Habsburgs, I noticed that Archking Rudolf's foreign policy was recently retconed to be more active.

One consequence of the Rudolfine constitution, and in particular the concurrent reforms to the military, was that Austria was in a somewhat hampered position when it came to foreign policy. The army was being practically torn down and rebuilt from the groundwork up; Rudolf was careful to maintain a minimum level of ready troops in case Austria was attacked, but ruled out intervention in almost any of the crises that impacted on Austria’s borders in this era, in particular remaining splendidly aloof from the Patrimonial War to the south and the Unification War to the north. This reputation for peace and domestic development helped endear Austria to public opinion and mend its image, meaning that there were soon a fair few more ‘Other’ subjects to slot into Rudolf’s system. The only foreign intervention Austria made at this time was when the Janissary Sultanate collapsed in 1848, making some relatively minor ‘border adjustment’ gains while the empire reunited—and avoiding getting dragged into the more major bloodletting that Joseph of Greece risked.

In the end it would not be High Saxony that helped Casimir quell the noble-backed rat-revolt, but Krakau’s former colonial possessors, for Rudolf III and his advisors finally allowed a minor foreign policy adventure to the north and the deployment of the new Danubian army—which rapidly revealed a lot of kinks in the new military system that needed ironing out, but without many of the negative consequences if such discoveries had been made in an existential war. Commentators generally conclude that Rudolf’s court made a wise decision by avoiding the Unification War: one can only imagine the chaos that would have ensued if such problems had emerged at a time when Saxon troops once more sought to invade Hapsburg soil. As it was, despite the problems the new Danubian army faced, in the end the Polish revolt was quelled, Casimir successfully played off the nobles against the commoners and created a new constitution that reformed the Sejm, and ended up weakening his economic ties with High Saxony and the Bundesliga in favour of strengthening them with the Hapsburg dominions.

The military intervention in former Habsburg Poland is new and not mentioned previously.
The 1860-map shows that the "minor border adjustment" in the western Balkan was not that "minor" either.

Love the hint into the future that Russian will be spoken in India. Certainly seems as though the RLPC's adventures have barely even begun.

The RLPC may end up absorbing much of the Indian Board.
It has already established strategically well-placed colonies (Pavlovsk-na-Baravakhul, Erythrea) on the current and future sea routes to India.

All right, you lot, you wanted a map, you're getting a map! Of 1860 so I can show a united Germany. A couple of minor spoilers for things I couldn't fit into Volume IV, but nothing too significant...

I am conflicted about Italy.
North Italy-Tuscany look more pleasant than North Italy alone, but the shape of territory of the Roman Republic in the Italian part of the KottS is so hideous. Like a small worm. :(

Thande

Donor
I wish we got more insight in the Great Indian Jihad war and William FitzGeorge's story in Bengal.
I will probably write more about it in Volume V, I just wanted to end this volume with a brief summary of it to act as a bookend to part #151 at the beginning.

How does the limited restoration of Denmark and Sweden affect the unified Scandinavian parliament?
The kingdoms are restored on paper but treated more like subnational viceroyalties (Arandism) so the unified Diet is still there and the one with the real power.

Speaking of Habsburgs, I noticed that Archking Rudolf's foreign policy was recently retconed to be more active.

The military intervention in former Habsburg Poland is new and not mentioned previously.
The 1860-map shows that the "minor border adjustment" in the western Balkan was not that "minor" either.
Well, the good thing about the format of TTL is that you can chalk this up to the quotes being from different history books by authors with different axes to grind ;) I'm sure one could come up with similar "inconsistencies" in OTL based on history books--in fact I know I can, I could "prove" that William Pitt was both pro- and anti- something based on books I own.

I'm not entirely happy with the borders of Poland and Lithuania (and I never have been) - I'd much have preferred to base them on the old voivodeships of Poland-Lithuania, but I've never been able to overlay a map satisfactorily to draw a border. This Europe map is ultimately derived from a Centennia one, which allows me to overlay the borders of the pre-1789 (OTL) German states, but it doesn't include internal divisions like the Polish voivodeships.

I am conflicted about Italy.
North Italy-Tuscany look more pleasant than North Italy alone, but the shape of territory of the Roman Republic in the Italian part of the KottS is so hideous. Like a small worm. :(
Well, Italy is one of the areas where...interesting things are going to happen in Volume V...

Inspired by the citizenship discussion in the PMQs thread, what are the Societist and Diversitarian positions on citizenship?
In theory, I think the Diversitarians would encourage a variety of rules, whilst the Societist would officially consider such things nonsensical and have citizenship tests for everyone to show they were truly Societist and no other rules. But in practice the Diversitarians seem to lean to jus sanguinis, and I can see the Societists ending up leaning to jus soli by default.
Well, the good thing about the format of TTL is that you can chalk this up to the quotes being from different history books by authors with different axes to grind ;) I'm sure one could come up with similar "inconsistencies" in OTL based on history books--in fact I know I can, I could "prove" that William Pitt was both pro- and anti- something based on books I own.
I have some that claim Napoleon's victory over Cavaignac was to nobody's surprise and others that (I think correctly) claim it was a major shock, just off the top of my head.

Thande

Donor
Inspired by the citizenship discussion in the PMQs thread, what are the Societist and Diversitarian positions on citizenship?
In theory, I think the Diversitarians would encourage a variety of rules, whilst the Societist would officially consider such things nonsensical and have citizenship tests for everyone to show they were truly Societist and no other rules. But in practice the Diversitarians seem to lean to jus sanguinis, and I can see the Societists ending up leaning to jus soli by default.
It's been previously established that the Diversitarians mainly incline towards jus sanguinis (in Wostyn's intro to this volume) while the Societists, as you say, are a bit hard to define because they would reject the idea of being anything other than 'a citizen of the world' to quote that Greek fellow.

There's got to be a "Siblinghood of the Pelican" or "Solar Temple" anarchist group, new age cult, or whatever later on.
Heh, nice idea.

Nice one Thande. And we finally find out what happened in Australia. :)

That suggestion of either Societist Danubia (or otherwise a Societist group in Danubia) is interesting. I guess the Diversitarians(sic) are going to have a token "evil" team-mate. :D

EDIT: Also, from what I've been able to glean, the Combine's government is a cross between Plato's Republic and a Corporatist system.

Last edited:
Soviets?

Part #200: Indian Winter

"[11] According to the version of events promoted by the Soviet Ministry of Information between 1960 and the implementation of the Iverson Protocol in 1978 (and unofficially circulated by conspiracy theorists since then). Most scholars consider this to be nothing more than crude propaganda and clearly born of the popular climate of vitriolic rage in Russia following the Sunrise War, albeit not exclusively directed at the Combine of course."

Soviet you say? Does this mean that there'll be a Revolution in Russia in this timeline, perhaps between Societist and Diversitarian factions? Would certainly explain the earlier quote (I forget where) about Russia producing both hardline diversitarians and societists?

Soviet you say? Does this mean that there'll be a Revolution in Russia in this timeline, perhaps between Societist and Diversitarian factions? Would certainly explain the earlier quote (I forget where) about Russia producing both hardline diversitarians and societists?
It's the Imperial Soviet.

Status
Not open for further replies.