A world without the Roman Empire

Hi All:

I have a A-H series scenario on an Earth where the Carthaginians won the Punic Wars.

Some minor changes are that Scholar's Greek replaces Latin as the language of religion and science, and the centre of European society resides on both sides of the Med.

Some speculations for you --
without a Roman Empire, would Christianity have got off the ground?
How much would the Greeks have influenced if they were not absorbed by Rome?
Would the Jewish religion have become less confrontational in a Semitic empire?

I have more posts in mind, but am interested to see yours.

Kester.

Keenir

Banned
Kester said:
Hi All:

Some speculations for you --

These are questions.

Butterflied away.

they'd be razed to the ground ("steal our alphabet, will ya?"), though not neccessarily by the people of Carthage.

Ba'al was a Semitic deity, remember...and Judaism had problems with Ba'al -- repeatedly.

I have more posts in mind, but am interested to see yours.

Kester.

Christianity could have existed, I think the Romans were instrumental in the end of the Maccabee Kingdom, but the Maccabees still wouldn't have liked Jesus. Though he'd have a very different topics in his speeches in a Jew-ruled Judea. However, it could be closer to OTL if the Phoenicians take over somehow.

I don't think the Jews would be less confrontational. According to the Old Testament, they didn't seem to like anyone much.

In fact, they weren't that keen on their own people. Look at the fate of the Judean Peoples Liberation Front (he was stoned to death.)

Of course, if crucifiction were no longer the death penalty, it would mean that Christians would now be praying to a rock, or possibly a large cliff, or even an enormous lion.

Kester said:
In the century before Christ there was a great deal of religious turmoil in Egypt and the near East (admittedly after the Romans were in European Greece). The messiah idea was already established. Quite likely similar ideas would have developed.

Kester said:
The golden age of Greece preceeded Rome, so the most important ideas were already out there. As long as there was no barbarian (i.e. celtic tribes) invasion and destruction then Greek ideas would probably persist.

Kester said:
Semitic as in Carthaginian? Depends how they are used. It was Babylon that really shaped the Jews, as far as I can tell, so the Jewish culture was already formed. Carthaginians used mercenary troops - so Jews of the period would have found employment (as they did under the Hellenistic monarchs).
Kester.[/QUOTE]

Though I would call the Jewish religion in the 1st century 'exclusive' or 'isolationist', rather than confrontational.

hexicus said:
The golden age of Greece preceeded Rome, so the most important ideas were already out there. As long as there was no barbarian (i.e. celtic tribes) invasion and destruction then Greek ideas would probably persist.

True, and they had already hellenised the middle east. Their colonies in south France and Italy would have survived if Romans hadn´t been around I think, so there´d be influence there as well.

As for christianity, I don´t know. There were many types similar to Jesus before him, the messiah idea was out there. The only that you need to trigger it is a st.Paul. Someone that decides to introduce it to the pagans.

But without an emperor to enforce christianity on everyone and make it statebelief, I think there´d be more religious diversity, both inside and outside christianity. Plus no papacy.

Alternative political structure

I liked Fabilius' reply, but it opens the question -- what would the political (and religious) structure of the Mediterranean region have become without a Roman Empire?

It's hard to find any definite info about the Carthaginians (the Romans destroyed most traces of them) but they were basically a commercial and trading society. Likely a merchant class would have become the rulers, perhaps even a legislature of the Commons 1800 years early. I can't help feeling that the Greeks, the most sophisticated people of the time would have had a great influence in the final structure.

As for religions, I accept there would have been a continued impulse toward a unified belief system. However, unified belief systems already existed in India and it would have been likely that increased contact between the Hellenes and Indians would have allowed Eastern ideas more sway in this alternative Mediterranean world.

Kester

Faeelin

Banned
Kester said:
As for religions, I accept there would have been a continued impulse toward a unified belief system. However, unified belief systems already existed in India and it would have been likely that increased contact between the Hellenes and Indians would have allowed Eastern ideas more sway in this alternative Mediterranean world.

Why would there be more contact than in otl?

I was going to make a snide comment about how the Hellenistic states are all monarchies at this point, but if Roman falls, you still have the Aetolian and Achaean Leagues; perhaps they could join together, at some point.

Faeelin

Banned
hexicus said:
Though I would call the Jewish religion in the 1st century 'exclusive' or 'isolationist', rather than confrontational.

Would this even be the case? A stronger Seleucid Empire might retain control of the Middle East, and the Jews would assimilate to the mainstream.

What would this have done to our concept of representative government? Wasn't it Rome that really gave us this concept? Ancient Rome wasn't representative democracy as we think of it today, but wasn't Rome where the concept in some sence that we would recognize was really tried, where the ideal began? Had there been no Roman empire that had been as large as it was, and lasted as long as it did, wouldn't that have effected our concept of representative democracy and popular government of the people?

The first thing that jumps out at me, is the lack of Roads and Aquaducts that the Romans built. Some of them are still in use. With Carthage being a we power, it may take another millenium for this kind of infrastructure to be built.

Especially in the case of the roads, this might also greatly slow down the exchange of ideas and technology. Carthages trade network would porbably mitigate this affect somewhat though.

Faeelin said:
Why would there be more contact than in otl?
-
-
-
Because the Greeks had a long history of eastern conquest and interaction through Alexander and the Seleucids, while the Romans eyes were west and northward. Their eastern moves were made to secure the borders.

Smaug's comment about roads and aqueducts -- I don't think the Romans had built many at the time of the Punic Wars. Still time for the engineering to develop. As you mention, the Carthaginian trading culture could make up for it -- sea transport was far more useful than roads -- they were intended for marching legions.

Mists of Time is forgetting that the first democracies were Greek. I'd suggest the political culture would advance more rapidly.

And Faeelin's comment about the Jews assimilating more into the mainstream in a Carthaginian empire was exactly my thought. They wouldn't have a Christian Empire to work progroms on them.

Kester.

The Cathaginians would be just as repugnant to 1st Century AD Jews as the Romans were- maybe moreso, with Baal and all.

Kester said:
-Mists of Time is forgetting that the first democracies were Greek. I'd suggest the political culture would advance more rapidly. Kester.

I knew the Greeks first came up with the idea of democracy and democratic government. But I thought it was more a direct democracy similar to the town meetings in New England than a representative democracy with elected representatives.

The Roman Empire gave us a lot of things. The Roman roads and aquaducts were mentioned. What about concrete? Didn't The Romans come up with concrete and its use in building?

The Ancient Romans and The Ancient Roman Empire gave us a lot of things. They were a huge empire that lasted for a long time and we're still feeling their influence on and contribution to history today. I think an alternate timeline with no Roman Empire would have a lot of things butterflyed big time.

Concrete had been in use for centuries before the Romans, but with different materials.

The Romans came up with very big and world changing ideas, but who's to say that the Carthaginians wouldn't have come up with bigger and more world changing ideas?

Archangel Michael said:
The Romans came up with very big and world changing ideas, but who's to say that the Carthaginians wouldn't have come up with bigger and more world changing ideas?

I doubt they´d be as great builders as the romans. You´d see more effort in ships and less effort in roads, since Carthage was a more seafaring culture.

I don´t think we´d get an empire out of Carthage, I doubt they´d even remain united if they conquered the romans, but I can easily picture them settling around a lot of coasts in Europe and Africa forming large tradenetworks that might reach just as far or even further than the roman empire.

The idea of Carthaginians in America has been suggested before. I don´t think that would happen immediatly or even 500 years later, but... if there is more focus on shipping technology, the old world discovers the new sooner.

To bad a world without Rome is just so darn unpredictable. The Romans stopped so many potential nations from forming and empires from being built there is no way saying...

Keenir

Banned
Kester said:
I liked Fabilius' reply, but it opens the question -- what would the political (and religious) structure of the Mediterranean region have become without a Roman Empire?

It's hard to find any definite info about the Carthaginians (the Romans destroyed most traces of them) but they were basically a commercial and trading society. Likely a merchant class would have become the rulers, perhaps even a legislature of the Commons 1800 years early. I can't help feeling that the Greeks, the most sophisticated people of the time would have had a great influence in the final structure.

okay, but....which Greeks?
(they weren't unified)

Keenir

Banned
The Mists Of Time said:
What would this have done to our concept of representative government? Wasn't it Rome that really gave us this concept? Ancient Rome wasn't representative democracy as we think of it today, but wasn't Rome where the concept in some sence that we would recognize was really tried, where the ideal began? Had there been no Roman empire that had been as large as it was, and lasted as long as it did, wouldn't that have effected our concept of representative democracy and popular government of the people?

Rome was a representative Republic manner of democracy.....the Senate was comprised of the heads of families and the heads of clans, all of whom represented their families.

Carthaginian ability

Some good points posted.

Perhaps the success of victorious Carthaginians would depend upon what they did with Rome and how they administered Italy.

My visualization would be a victory over Rome in the second Punic war. Hannibal was already in Italy and the master of the countryside from 216 BC (after Cannae) to about 213. The name of the faction in Carthage that opposed Hannibal and denied him the support and reinforcements he needed to lay effective siege to the Italian cities isn’t known to us, but if instead they had put their energies into building a new fleet capable of, at least countering the Roman superiority at sea, the Romans could have been defeated.

The form of government in Carthage and Rome was not too different. A Senate that held the power of the wealthy families, a popular assembly of lesser citizens with sufficient property qualification, and two Suffetes who administered as Consuls did in Rome. There was also a Commission of Ten, which later grew to one hundred and which controlled the Suffetes, but my old set of Britannicas (1950 – good for accounts of earlier times) doesn’t account for interactions between these organs. Very likely the system changed under the stress of the wars.

My point in bringing up that bit of history is to suggest that Carthage could have controlled Rome and its possessions in a similar way to Rome’s control over Carthage after the second Punic war – by allowing local government but having a veto power over the enactments of its Senate, and a limit on its military power. In OTL, that system lasted 60 years before Rome found a pretext to destroy Carthage. My suggestion would be that Rome and Italy continued to blossom, even under Carthage and the resulting empire satisfied the ambitions of the best men of both. Ergo, they have the commercial savvy of Carthage and the organizing drive of Rome.

Which Greeks? A good question, but in 213 BC the Seluecids, the Ptolemies, and the successors of Macedonia in Greece and Anatolia were all still significant powers. Between them, the Carthaginians and their Roman clients could have played off one against the other and gradually conquered them all (or made them clients, or protectorates, as was Roman policy.) Syracuse could have flowered again without Roman domination, surely the home of much Greek genius and A-H what-ifs.

The genius of a society depends upon its ability to nurture and satisfy its most able sons (isn’t that what neo-liberal economics is all about?) Carthage had a good run for about 650 years, so it must have had the flexibility to adapt to new ideas and advantages as much as Rome did. I agree that its eyes would have been more on seaborne trade than on dominating the land with roads and marching legions, but their conquest of southern Iberia was a land campaign.

Would they have ventured across the Atlantic? Since my belief is that Columbus would have never ventured out without the stories and experience of the Portuguese who fished the Grand Banks for cod in the fifteenth century it could have depended upon the appetites of Europe more than the vision.

Kester.

Faeelin

Banned
The Mists Of Time said:

What about the Achaean and Aetolian Leagues? They had representative democracy.