Created Equal - Jefferson in 1796

OOC: This idea rose partly from a challenge about ending slavery by 1836 and getting womens’ suffrage by 1876. I can’t promise both; we’ll see how it goes. But, with my love for happier endings, good will come, such as having one besides the old Yahoo group SHWI-ISOT game where Denmark-Norway enters the war on the Coalition side and stays together (thanks to searches for showing how it could work).

I’ll let others take it if I get too busy; as it is, I waited till I felt there would be a lull. I only have Europe figured up to 1820 or so, a bit further in the U.S.. I forget the thread’s location but one suggested the United States could have bought land in exchange for money Mexico could then have used to pay off their debt, as an expansion of the Adams-Onis treaty. I might use that in a unique way toget the U.S. to the West Coast early, but that will actually prevent American from getting too big, as Manifest Destiny will be curtailed (they’re already at the coast and have wondered for a while how they’re going to swallow it all), with other issues causing problems in the 1830s and possibly ‘40s, so it’s likely the U.S. won’t be as big as in OTL. I use mostly narrative, but I have dialogue if an idea really strikes me, like I did in “Sweet Lands of Liberty.”

I use very gradual butterflies, no fast rules on people born after a POD unless it’s impossible - not mathematically but in the “his dad died before he would have been conceived” sense of impossible; like “Up With the Star” IIRC had Hitler in a different role. It’s not the most popular method on these boards, but it’s hard for me to keep up with dozens of fictional characters, though I’m fine with half a dozen or so like when I follow them in “Brotherhood and Baseball.” And, I’m fine with my own characters in books like I’ve written taking place in OTL.

Some things, like Charles Adams, are artistic license but I think possible. I don’t have a lot of resources or time, though Historynet.com has really been a help in a few areas, and I also found really helpful AH.com archive discussions. These threads were on things like the Louisiana Purchase (or lack thereof), Jefferson in ‘96, and the Napoleonic Wars. (The search engine worked well for me, thankfully, though it’s balky.) I’m very thankful for these. I also use Wikipedia, but I did on “Sweet Lands of Liberty,” too, and it went okay.

My method makes it easier to follow “Brotherhood and Baseball,” though many were born before the Chancellorsville POD there. When people who survive because of a shorter Civil War can impact things, they do. Same with “If Baseball Integrated Early,” it’s just more interesting for baseball fans with OTL players. I have other Print On Demand books which are not AH at lulu.com, too; just look in “Author spotlight” once you find the ones I’ve mentioned above..

Those are my books, though.

This is…

Created Equal – Jefferson in 1796

Part 1: Not Being Endorsed Can Be a Blessing

Part 1: Not Being Endorsed Can Be a Blessing

It’s kind of a blur now. That faraway election of 1796 has faded into the history books. One wonders at the relationship between Adams and Jefferson if their roles had been reversed.

They easily could have been. Some say if Jefferson is V.P. in ‘96 he wins in 1800; that’s quite possible. In fact, it’s almost certain, the way things went. John Adams was feisty, and capable of saying or doing the wrong thing; but so was Jefferson. They were both great men, but both human with normal human strengths and weaknesses.

Jefferson took the right advice and made a smart move leading up to the 1796 election, though. He purposely downplayed his support for the bloodiest part of the French Revolution, that mess which was evolving into the Napoleonic Era.

However, another, more important thing happened, which led to Jefferson sounding more tepid; that something was not sensing as much French support as he’d hoped..

The French consul to the U.S. planned to write letters to be published in various newspapers; stating that he hoped Jefferson won. He got very sick before he could, and didn’t recover till after the election.(1) Without public support, any supposed desire on France’s part to influence the election didn’t come to light until after Jefferson’s very narrow election. And, Jefferson felt a little slighted, too, at the lack of French support.

It was still very close, of course. A few more electors voted for Jefferson than might have. This caused just enough electoral votes to shift that Jefferson ended up with just a couple more electoral votes than John Adams in 1796; Maryland, especially, had been crucial.

John Adams – who finished 2nd - might have considered being Jefferson’s Vice President, except he’d just held that office for 8 years! “This is preposterous,” he proclaimed upon hearing the news. “After all this time verbally assaulting each other, now we are expected to serve together? Nay, I tell you, I would not dare to serve that infernal office for 12 years. It is the most useless office ever designed by mankind!” he finished arrogantly.

So, where would he go?

---------------------------------------

Adams journeyed home after the Inauguration, trying hard to hide his displeasure. Jefferson had been right in his Inaugural Address about the peaceful transfer of government, at least – he was always so good at theories. In practice, well, Adams had his doubts.

He travelled with Massachusetts’ Senators. Thomas Goodhue had just been elected to the U.S. Senate by the state legislature. He had other business ventures, though, and wasn’t interested in making a career of it. Adams also spoke with Theodore Sedgwick, who had been appointed to fill a vacancy and whose term ended in 1799. If Goodhue wouldn’t step aside right away, Adams considered asking Sedgwick to step aside in favor of him when that term was up; indeed, Sedgwick was likely to return to the House of Representatives, anyway.

However, Adams also felt burdened with failure, having failed to live up his own high expectations. It hadn’t been as bad as it might have been,(2) but he still mulled retirement.

One thing that prevented him from doing it right away was his horror at Alexander Hamilton being the undisputed leader of the Federalists if he left. A letter and subsequent visit by Rev. Timothy Dwight, Yale College President, settled things for good in favor of remaining active.

After exchanging pleasantries, Dwight mentioned the letter he’d addressed to Adams after the latter’s defeat. A leading Federalist in Connecticut, he remarked, “I am greatly concerned about the rise of Republicanism in my college; it would have come anyway, but it is growing faster now that Jefferson has won the election.”

Adams agreed. As they spoke, it became clear to Adams that the nation would be best served were he in the Senate. And, indeed, he could probably make inroads with enough of the legislature to ensure that he would replace Sedgwick if nothing else.

However, failure gnawed at him – it still wouldn’t be the Presidency, and he didn’t know if he could stand another defeat. “Not only that,” Adams noted, “but as I have mentioned, there is the problem with my son Charles. Abigail, too, has fretted over the situation and hopes I may be able to do something. I understand why you believe women to be equally educable, as I have known Abigail for so long.” He spoke fondly of her that, “While we men went forth and created a nation, she and I have corresponded often, and she sometimes joyfully followed in the footsteps of women like Anne Bradstreet, turning a phrase with the skill of a master.”

“It sounds like it is the skill of a diplomat which is required for such a young man as Charles,” Dwight reasoned.

As they spoke more, the college president reached a conclusion. Though he had come merely to discuss Adams’ re-entry into politics and continued involvement in the Federalist cause, Dwight recognized a problem with the family that seemed quite similar to that of his college.

“When I arrived as Yale’s president, there was much tension between the faculty and students, and between lower classmen and upper classmen. It still requires work, but it needs reformed through goodness and grace toward each other; after all, though we should maintain hierarchy, we are all equal before the cross, and should not be puffed up by position.”

Adams mulled over the notion as the man who would become one of the leaders of the Second Great Awakening recommended that Adams take a different view of the situation. That notion – that all men are created equal – was clearly expressed in the Declaration of Independence. However, that didn’t mean they had to act like scoundrels toward others, as those in France had.

“It is dangerous to throw away all tenets of religion as the French Revolutionaries do,” Dwight said, seemingly reading Adams’ thoughts. “However, we are called to forgive, and to be humble in our conversation. If we fail at that, we fail at one of the chief benefits of our religion, the fact we can rely on God’s forgiveness. There is none of us righteous; and yet, God laid on himself, Jesus Christ, the iniquity of us all, so that if we but call upon Him sto save us from our sins, by faith alone, and repent of them in our hearts, He shall do so, and forgive us totally, making of that persojn a new creature inside who - with His help - can resist that carnal nature.

"And, Mr. Adams, that includes forgiving yourself for not living up to the standards you set.” To lighten the mood, Dwight added, “In fact, unless each of your children goes out and founds a nation based on principles of liberty while freeing it from tyranny, it is hard to imagine how they can live up to what you have already done; you should not need the Presidency to feel good about your accomplishments.”

“That may be true,” Adams said evenly, “such an era may not arise again for a long time, unless Spain should somehow lose her colonies in a similar manner. I only insist that they succeed." The former Vice President admitted, however, that he could stand to be a little more forgiving – of himself, especially, as he did wish to re-enter politics. Dwight promised to write to Charles and try to help in smoothing things over if Adams needed.

Adams would be quite glad to be getting back into the political discussion when a major storm began brewing over France.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) The POD, more fixed than just “Jefferson isn’t as vocal.” Yes, Jefferson not being as vocal about his support for the Revolution is very helpful, but lack of clear French support is a clearer POD as there will be a bit less reason to worry about French influence, and the lack of such letters might dampen Jefferson’s enthusiasm. Then again, this is written from the ATL perspective, so it could also be that the history writer just thinks Jefferson toned down his rhetoric because the French consul was too sick. It’s your call on which to believe.

(2) The strain of family troubles with Charles and especially Charles’ death in 1800 contributed at least some to Adams’ retirement from public life and also to his bitterness at the loss; hence he didn’t attend Jefferson’s inauguration in 1801 in OTL, but does in 1797 here. Here, while the defeat is bitter, he’ll remain in public life; and may have without the visit, but such a visit makes sense and is good at making some rapprochement between the men more possible.

I decided to post some more now and maybe some Saturday, too; but the time will come when updates will ome more slowly; as with "Sweet Lands of Liberty" I like to write like a book and have a lot ready, but especially with EUrope after the ideas I have till the late 1810s I'm kind of stumped, though I know what I want to do with America into the 1820s.

---------------------------------

Part 2 – As Difficult As XYZ

Thomas Jefferson welcomed Secretary of State Madison into his Philadelphia office; Washington wouldn’t be completed till 1800. “The Federalists are all up in arms about supposed French provocation,” Jefferson remarked as the Virginians discussed foreign affairs.

“Refusing to accept an ambassador is quite grievous,” Madison noted.

Jefferson acknowledged this. “I am sure the situation can be smoothed over. Despite French antipathy toward Jay’s Treaty, though, and my own distaste for it, I am loath to refuse to abide by it. A sovereign nation should not be revoking treaties whenever a new government takes office. It would be a stain upon our reputation. In addition, as you noted so well in our last Cabinet meeting, it would make it appear that the French control us, instead of being mere allies, and also make the French suspicious of any treaty we conclude with them.”(1) He thought a moment. “I shall send Mr. Pinckney back, along with two of our party’s representatives, to demonstrate that President Washington’s desire to make peace with all still exists, though a different man is in office. I hope it will also please the Federalists to have one of their own, so they will put aside this nonsense about raising an army.” Jefferson had already decided to scale back what little government expenditures there were.

Madison agreed. “When Congress convenes again, they will be quite busy. However, it does demonstrate the virtue and strength of our system of checks and balances. It is up to us to ensure that Congress not become too strong, but also to ensure that a president not be too strong.”

“As I fear Mr. Adams wished,” Jefferson responded. “I told him I would not be concerned were he in the Senate. A body of elites representing states rather than the needs of average citizens has no appeal to me, but it suits his temperament. I doubt I would have been happy as Vice President. With the position now vacant, perhaps we could do away with the office.”

“It is a good position to have in our government,” Madison contended. “It’s another check on Congress by the Executive branch.” Jefferson admitted this was true; he’d only been thinking of his desire for a weak executive, not about the ways that a president could influence Congress. Madison went on, “Perhaps distinct votes should be cast for President and Vice President, rather than simply submitting two names. Had some Federalists not attempted to ensure that Pinckney got fewer electoral votes than Adams, there might have been even more confusion. There may be some tinkering needed. But, we declared it to be a more perfect union, not a perfect one, and allowed for the amending of the document when the need arises,” he finished.

Jefferson nodded in agreement. “I believe Mr. Monroe would be good to go along with Mr. Pinckney and one other man to France. His work there under Washington was exemplary.”

-----------------------------------------------

What Jefferson thought would be a mere formality turned into a debacle. Despite Monroe’s best efforts, they couldn’t get through to the French; instead, three French ministers, seeking personal gain, hinted at the need for bribes. They expected such bribes even more considering that Jefferson was a Francophile; why shouldn’t he support them?

To say Jefferson never expected this would be an understatement. A coded message was sent concerning what had happened, but the president passed it off as a misunderstanding. Then, the messages worsened. He refused to inform Congress, fearing what the Federalists would do.

However, when the three men were deported back to the United States, he could wait no longer.

Jefferson appeared before Congress and outlined what had happened. He explained that France would not accept their representatives, and they further insisted that the U.S. repudiate Jay’s Treaty. “As much as Mr. Jay’s treaty was to my dissatisfaction,” the president said, “after conferring with Mr. Madison and other diplomats, I could not in good conscience repudiate it. That a sovereign would declare that we cannot be peaceable with another is against all Reason, and interferes with our own sovereignty. I could not reveal this until these three men returned, feeling it to be simple confusion. Now, I can say that these men returned having done all they could. However, let us not resort to violence because of the folly of some. We must show we are more civil than that…” Jefferson went on to emphasize his desire for a small, agrarian nation which had little to do with anyone in Europe.

Jefferson was discouraged. War fervor was beginning, but Jefferson didn’t want anything to do with a standing army, much less the mobilization some demanded. Federalist reaction was a very sharp and loud, “We told you so!” He was willing to consider an Embargo Act against France, however – even though Treasury Secretary Gallatin feared what it would do to the economy.

Then, he received an unexpected letter from John Adams.

Adams had written, among other things, “…I cannot help but express my appreciation to you under these circumstances…Though we disagree on many issues, when I read of what our diplomats had suffered, and your honorable keeping of Jay’s Treaty, I was quite joyful. I sincerely hope that you both understand the grave injury done to us and avoid a major confrontation, a fight which I do not believe our young nation can afford….

“…This type of incident, however, also demonstrates why I feel strongly that a standing army and strong navy are needed….I am hopeful that, had our roles been reversed in 1796, and were you Vice President, you would be as able to deal civilly with this as I am at present….”

Jefferson smiled. Alexander Hamilton in particular was being merciless in his attacks, gearing up for a possible Presidential run in 1800. To Jefferson, while Adams’ views were maddening, they didn’t seem as dangerous as Hamilton; at least there was something on which he and Adams agreed. Jefferson had been openly attacking Hamilton, but he wrote a somewhat cordial response to Adams, noting their shared disdain for Hamilton, while also defending his own points.

John Adams had just finished reading President Jefferson’s reply – and wondering if Jefferson couldn’t recognize, or was just unwilling to admit, how grave of an insult it was. After all, it was Jefferson’s beloved France doing it. At that moment, Charles entered, having come up to visit. They were talking, at least, though it was strained.

Adams told him of the reply. “I have tried to get through to him that his great intellectual theories are wonderful. However, he often fails to be practical.”

Charles showed little interest, which frustrated the former Vice President. However, while the man was now attempting to stay sober and reunite with his father, he was still far from the success John Adams had expected of him. Coming to grips with his own defeat had helped, but it was still very hard for him to avoid breaking out in a lecture about Charles’ lifestyle.

“At any rate,” John continued, “France is a danger. I shall go to Philadelphia and support peace, as well as preparedness.” He would also befriend people so he could more easily influence things once he got to the Senate in 1799, where he could hopefully lead the charge against Hamilton. He looked at Charles, unsure if he wanted the man to come with him or not. He could try to build more of a relationship with him, but on the other hand, if Charles really embarrassed him…

It didn’t matter. Charles wished him good luck, and that was it. Still, it was something. Adams told him to keep in touch with Dwight and at least stay out of trouble.

“I appreciate your wish of good luck. This country faces supporters of anarchy on one side and reactionaries on the other who wish to embroil us in a war when there may be alternatives.” He thought especially of Alexander Hamilton; Adams was much more willing to compromise than Hamilton on a number of Federalist-supported issues. Recalling something Dwight had said when he spoke of Charles, Adams said, “I know you view Baron von Steuben very highly;[2] Abigail also speaks highly of him. You are, of course, aware of my opinion of him, which is not as favorable as hers. However, should you choose to emulate the positive aspects of his character I would certainly be happy with that, as it would be a very worthwhile endeavor.”

“Reverend Dwight has also said some very poignant things about forgiveness when we have written,” Charles said.

“Indeed. He is a man of integrity, who you would do well to emulate.” After they spoke for a few more minutes, John Adams added, “If you do not wish to be in law then by all means get out of it instead of continuing to sully the profession with your presence, and find something you are good at. I know that you will find something you can do, even if it is not law.” He started to leave, and then turned around. Not sure of what to say, he said nothing.

Charles was disappointed, but not so much that he would drink himself to death like he might have. But, he wondered what he could do. Still, his father had said that following in Von Steuben’s footsteps would make him happy. And, Hamilton – now one of the Army’s leaders – was known to be one of those “reactionaries” who opposed Charles’ father. So, maybe by going to him to learn the military, as Dwight had suggested, he could be getting back at his father a little, too. After all, his father was even more aghast at Hamilton’s lowly social standing compared to his own family.

John, meanwhile, was mostly concerned with trying to straighten things out between the many interests involved in the XYZ Affair. He muttered that, “Jefferson thought this would be as easy as ABC. He’s learning that it’s anything but that.” Indeed, Adams pondered that perhaps it was fortunate that he wasn’t President at that point.

Especially when he arrived at the President’s home and saw the despair on Jefferson’s face.

-------------------------------------------------------

Adams had planned to lecture Jefferson on the French running amuck and on the lack of a navy. The sorrow in the president’s eyes told him that a lighter approach – at least as light as Adams could deliver – was needed toward his old friend and colleague.

When Jefferson explained the problems, Adams murmured solemnly, “It is the age of reason, and the age of foolishness. No government can restrain people who are not bridled with some form of moral and religious code; the French have abolished that, and look what has become of them.” Jefferson agreed that they’d gone too far at times. “They still go too far! How many ships has Congress authorized, and how many are being constructed?” When Adams heard he exploded. “We have got to protect ourselves. We need a standing militia and a strong Navy…”

“Strong militaries promote tyranny,” Jefferson noted. “The tenet of a military is brute force and control, rather than peace and freedom.”

“On this we agree; but, you yourself say that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. You know what the problem is? You disavowed your own belief. You refused to be vigilant because you believed the French would never do us harm. And look at what they’ve done.”

“They are much preferable to the British as friends,” Jefferson countered.

“Which one is destroying our trade?” Adams asked pointedly, referring to the Quasi-War. “I dare say that if a lion pounced on you and said it was a Republican, you would allow it to maul you. We must be able to defend our rights on the seas. Which means allying with the British, our navy is so bad.” Jefferson winced. “Thankfully, some still believe diplomacy is possible. And, perhaps your Embargo Act will have some effect.” Adams finished by pointing out, “Our Constitution has the requisite checks and balances that a standing army should not be a problem, though of course the militias should be the main focus, and we must avoid men who are too ambitious. We are gaining traditions which will allow us to survive even that, however. Just as when we changed governments without violent overthrow, and as we shall do again.”

Jefferson ignored the implication that he might be out of office in two years. He wasn’t sure if he would mind all that much anyway, the way things were going.

------------------------------------------

John Adams felt like he was being shouted down when he tried to meet one on one with different members of Congress; a vote was planned to repudiate all treaties with France. He hadn’t been to the Constitutional Convention, but he couldn’t imagine it being more partisan. Jefferson hadn’t been supported much back in Massachusetts, but it was nothing like here.

Adams shuddered. He might have been part of that fiasco, try as he might to avoid it, had he won the Election of 1796.

Maybe things would pick up in two years, but he wasn’t sure.

------------------------------------------

The vote came and went. The friends both breathed a sigh of relief. Congress had narrowly avoided voting for war, partly because of the Embargo Act, though that would quickly become unpopular. While they’d agreed to the founding of the Marine Corps and – over Jefferson’s veto once the new Congress convened in 1799 - to fund a Naval buildup, they’d agreed that Jefferson’s attempts at peace should be honored first.

Adams and Jefferson sat together in the Presidential mansion in 1799. “I know we don’t agree on a lot politically, but I am grateful that we have remained friends, albeit strained right now. I hope to be able to work with you more now that I am in the Senate.”

Jefferson agreed. “As much as your party wants, I shall not give our nation over to the British tyrants, however.”

Adams rolled his eyes. “I don’t wish to, either. I was in the same Congress when we declared our independence, after all. Strong friendship does not mean giving in to them.”

“What about their actions in the Northwest? Or with our sailors?”

Adams grudgingly accepted, “These are things we must iron out. Do you think our merchants are happy? Of course not. I hope you can accept my desire for a strong friendship with the British.”

“And I hope you will accept my desire to maintain the friendship with the French which we have held since our Revolution.” The Founding Fathers agreed that they could maintain a working relationship, though it would be a couple years before it was again an amicable friendship

-------------------------------------------------------------

Adams was right. The situation wouldn’t destroy the Democratic-Republicans, but his Senatorial victory was only one of many Federalist wins in 1798. He figured that the debate over whether to support France or Britain would be the main question of his Senate term. And, he was beginning to enjoy the Senate, feeling that he might stay there and not run for President in 1800. It was far less stressful, and he could provide an excellent voice of reason in support of the British.

As it turned out, something else came up – disarray which threatened to engulf the Federalists themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] As in OTL, when he refused to repudiate it. Whatever his reasoning OTL, here he would face added concerns that another nation seemed to be trying to “order them around,” whereas France likely wouldn’t have seemed to be doing so by 1801, with the XYZ Affair having been several years earlier. Even if they were, though, it reinforces that Jefferson’s refusal to repudiate it is at least plausible.

[2] Historynet.com mentions this; we don’t know all the reasons why Charles was fond of him, but two important things come from this. It shows he has someone he can emulate, and at a point in his life where, trying to get off the bottle, he is searching hard, a comment like this can easily lead him to at least try a career path down the line.

Part 3: The North Will Rise Again

Getting the next couple updates up now so the first European butterly is shown before I leave for a the evening.

Part 3: The North Will Rise Again

As 1799 wore on, the British helped against the French – it was in their best interests to protect American shipping, because *they* were the ones America was trading with. Combined with the development of a Navy over Jefferson’s veto, the Quasi-War had become more bearable. The Federalists, in rejecting Jefferson’s miniscule budgets, insisted upon a navy in their alternative budgets. The Federalists clearly had the momentum for the 1800 elections.

However, more problems were brewing.

The Federalists in several states had made concessions to D-R wishes regarding voting rights after their 1796 losses. Their newspapers had begun – if only slightly – to inform people about how to acquire land and obtain the right to vote, so they could woo voters, although the D-R papers did this far more. Democratic-Republicans wanted property, not income, to be the deciding factor when it came to voting rights.

Federalists knew Jefferson was unpopular enough some new voters would vote for them anyway. So, they kept to D-R rules in places, and began informing people how to vote in their papers – along, of course, with reminding them that Jefferson had left them very ill-prepared for war.

However, while some deemed Alexander Hamilton the leading candidate, that number was down from 1798; Jefferson’s attacks on him had combined with Adams’ work in the Senate to make numerous Federalists ill at ease with Hamilton. Quite a few still supported him, of course, but they wondered, why not go with the man who very nearly won in ’96?

Some Federalists supported a Southerner, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, as their Presidential candidate, though he was on record as not favoring the popular vote – even for Representatives. As the new 12th Amendment – calling for distinct Presidential and Vice Presidential ballots – neared ratification (it would be by February, 1800), Pinckney had become a favorite. As he was related to Adams’ hoped for 1796 V.P., and able to draw Southern votes away from Jefferson, he seemed to be a very strong candidate.

This distressed Northern Federalists to no end. For one thing, since not all of them were elitist, there were fears that Jefferson could win anyway. More importantly, the young country had already had two Southern Presidents. Many couldn’t stomach the idea of a third straight. They made certain that John Adams knew it.

Timothy Pickering wrote to Senator Adams complaining that, “The popularity of that Southerner – or any Southerner – means that the aristocratic slaveholder will gain more power. At least some of those ‘yeoman farmers’ Jefferson admires don’t hold slaves.”

Another told Adams on the Senate floor, “Look at the Supreme Court appointees. And, look at our first two Presidents. Why, the South is threatening to overrun us here in the North! This is becoming a Southern tyranny. We demand that the North have a chance.”

“It is possible that a New Englander could receive the Vice Presidency,” Adams reminded him.

“And so what? You yourself say that office is worthless!” They’d have been upset even with Adams as President if another Southerner had succeeded him; now, it was worse.

Adams had to agree. And, it disturbed him. The Federalists seemed rather likely to win barring a major setback. However, one seemed to be brewing. And, in some ways, he viewed C.C. Pinckney’s brand of Federalism as dangerous as Hamilton’s. He confided to Abigail that, “”Like Jefferson, there are extremists in our own Party. We have seen the dangers of extremes, and we must do our best to steer this country down the middle.”

While the sectional rift was not over slavery, but rather just the fact that one section was not the other, slavery was also a small part of the problem, which many knew would have to be addressed someday. And, nobody knew what that would mean.

------------------------------

Jefferson, for his part, tried to keep Democratic-Republicans together. He wrote to Washington, and traveled down to visit his fellow Virginian on December 11 before going to Monticello. Washington knew what it was like to desperately need a break from the stress of being President.

Washington noted the terrible sleet the next day as he and Jefferson discussed things from the relative warmth of Mount Vernon. “I am glad to be away from Philadelphia, but I can’t imagine the weather would be any worse there. I have chores to tend to here, but it is good to be able to visit with you instead in this bitter cold.”(1)

Jefferson agreed; it probably couldn’t be. “I am glad to have you to discuss things with; many roads lead to tyranny, and a popular leader, if not of the right frame of mind, can easily try to repeat the actions of Julius Caesar.”

“True. But, as you said, we have peaceful transfer of governmental power. I hope that, as we build on those traditions, and teach them to the next generation, we shall not have to fear such a man,” Washington consoled him. Still, he admitted, the republic was still young, and there did have to be great care taken to ensure that the right principals were established. That was one reason he supported the Federalist camp in certain areas.

“The more moderate Federalists – even Mr. Adams, though he can sound pompous – are at least willing to build on such traditions; it is one bright spot, as I fear at this time next year I will be soon to retire from public life, if things do not improve,” Jefferson lamented, already feeling some of the strain that would lead him to choose not to list being President on his tombstone. “Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown – so it must be, to prevent that crown from becoming tyrannical. However, it is difficult when it is on one’s own head.”

The men discussed some of the nation’s problems, and agreed that perhaps focusing on Virginia would help. If Jefferson didn’t win re-election, too, he couldn’t support Madison in 1804. When Jefferson finally left, once the weather was better, he considered how lovely it was to live in blissful retirement like Washington. Yes, he would run again - he felt things could get better. However, he wouldn’t mind retirement, either. He could write and support his causes without the incredible stress it had put on him.

------------------------------------

As 1800 wore on, Adams was pressured more and more to run himself, Hamilton was also gearing up for the nomination, staging vicious attacks on Pinckney now and insisting that a northern Federalist was needed. Adams let it be known that he wished to be considered. Selecting him was quite logical, as he was a sitting Senator and had held other elected office, unlike Hamilton. Of course, future writers would try to paint Adams as reluctant as Washington, such as in this exchange from a famous play.

“Well, what about Mr. Jay?” Adams asked. “He is from New York, true, but he holds the same ideals as we do. Plus, he has served his country in many ways, and has run New York well to this day. He could very easily hold our banner.”

“But, Mr. Adams,” one began, “but Mr. Adams. His real disdain for slavery would have a mighty cost. If we should let him run for us the South might soon be lost.”

“You, Mr. Adams, you must hold our banner,” another said, though Adams kept refusing.

Eventually, Adams turned to Vermont’s Nathaniel Chipman. “Mr. Chipman, you should hold our banner. You have gained extensive legal knowledge. In a small state you abide; perhaps bringing Republicans to our side.”

Chipman shook his head. “But Mr. Adams, but Mr. Adams. I lean to law not politics so I do not have fame. Enough could still vote Jefferson because they know his name.”

Turning to a member of the House next, Adams told John Marshall, “Mr. Marshall, you should hold our banner. A great mind for diplomacy and law, you are young enough to serve with vigor, I am sure you would do your country proud.”

“But Mr. Adams, but Mr. Adams, have you not heard these men who say the South is running wild? The only man they’ll take must be a Massachusetts child.”

“You, Sir, you!” another said.

“Of course, we could always ask Hamilton,” remarked a third, knowing that Adams believed Alexander Hamilton to be far too ambitious and morally questionable, given an affair that people had gotten word of years earlier.

Adams threw up his hands. “Oh, no, no, certainly not!”

“Then you’ll do it?” the last questioner asked.

John Adams sighed. “All right, if I must. But, I don’t wish to be President when I’m 73, so one of you had better be ready for 1804.”[2]

Adams was nominated to be President, again with Charles C. Pinckney as Vice President; Federalists chose the man who had nearly won in 1796. Adams was also more moderate, one who could garner more support, whereas some worried that Jefferson might win if a more extreme Federalist were chosen. Even a few D-Rs such as Aaron Burr – who would run as Jefferson’s V.P nominee – suggested that Adams would be preferable to Hamilton.

The election was close, but with Georgians fearful of Spanish attack - as well as already seeing some problems with Seminoles in Spanish Florida - Georgia managed to be swung to Adams. Maryland did too, as the importance of the Navy was highlighted. Finally, Jefferson’s embargo, while lifted, had gone on enough that South Carolina and New York even had some electors turn against him. Adams had won the 1800 election and brought a number of Federalists with him.

Hamilton was frustrated, but with Adams’ age, he figured he could run in 1804.

“The rash of states trying to adjust how electors were selected needed to end, and would in years to come, though Elbridge Gerry would make drawing districts in odd ways after the census normal. 1800 could have been much more contentious. It was already, of course,” one historian wrote later, “but the fact Jefferson was unpopular while Adams was associated with Washington – and had been the narrow loser in 1796 - helped a lot. The Democratic-Republicans didn’t have as much to attack with, and besides, John Adams would almost surely only serve one term, at his age. Now, if Hamilton had run, that could have caused problems. With Adams all but committed to serving one term, however, Hamilton would try for office in New York and bide his time till 1804. However, men like Governeur Morris blocked him in the Senate, and even Aaron Burr, a former ally, opposed him, trying to take the seat himself.”

Another historian noted, “The Embargo Act was lifted and relations with France restored once things calmed down in the summer of 1800. However, the damage had been done. Jefferson got credit later for having kept the U.S. out of war, but that wasn’t the only issue that made him lose; some felt that this wouldn’t have happened had he supported a stronger military.”

Meanwhile, Charles Adams - who had been trying to get into the military to achieve some level of fame, as von Steuben had - approached Hamilton as he raised the army to fight the French if needed, though Washington was nominally the actual commander. Charles developed a fondness for Hamilton. Once war fears died down after the peace with France, he wondered if elsewhere might be better. Perhaps some other nation could use him. He could truly be like von Steuben.

Charles would have an impact later. Even now, however, almost from the moment Adams took office, things began to change – though they had done so because of earlier events.

[1] It was this day that he got sick and later died; here, of course, he lives longer.

[2] Okay, the way they approached Adams wasn’t this poetic, but as I was figuring out how to write it, the play “1776” kept going through my head, and I couldn’t resist. :) The important part is that the Federalists choose Adams over Hamilton, partly because of Hamilton’s ambition and morals, partly because Senator Adams has done well, earning a reputation as a leader, one who they say “should have won” in 1796.

And the butterflies reach Europe

Part 4. In With the New

After President Adams’ election, he reappointed Rufus King as ambassador to Britain, and in fact asked him to travel to Britain to meet with Jefferson’s ambassador there.

One of the things Congress had pressed for was money to buy a few old ships, ones which could quickly be used to defend against French attacks, since others needed to be built. This, and the fact Britain had to do a little more to stop the French (the Americans, after all, were trading with *them* and they wanted to protect their interests) caused a few changes.

A few more repairs being needed delayed some shipyard maintenance by a couple days, enough to impact British attempts to defuse the League of Armed Neutrality, a group of neutral nations which were trading with France in spite of the blockade.

Even with the large Federalist Congress in the second half of Jefferson’s administration, British shipyards were still a bit busier than they would have been because Jefferson had refused to fund a navy. Therefore, the British fleet which was to be sent to Copenhagen - demanding Denmark-Norway either leave the League or face attack - was delayed a couple days while ships were readied. They had to act fast before the Baltic unfroze, but a couple days didn’t seem too bad.

However, a couple days meant that Sweden had time to get down to help the Danish. The British saw that their adversary was too large. Instead of attacking with full force, they held back an extra day. As they were pulling back, they learned it didn’t matter; Russia’s Czar Paul I had been assassinated. With his death, the Danish no longer felt threatened, and withdrew from the League without argument. It crumbled with Czar Paul’s death.

The Swedes would later decide – based on another situation – that Napoleon was the real enemy. Swedish co-operation built a closer friendship between Denmark and Sweden. Denmark was more likely to consider joining the Coalition, especially since the British hadn’t attacked.

Denmark-Norway wondered about the size of their military, however, and feared they’d be crushed by the massive French. However, one man helped to change their minds on that some.

After time with Hamilton learning the art of war, and learning about militias and how to defeat the overpowering forces of Europe, Charles Adams had an idea of whom he might help. He didn’t know if they’d accept it; indeed, it wasn’t certain whether he’d be very helpful to a side, very harmful to a side, or just confusing to a side. But, perhaps this would allow him to become someone else’s von Steuben.

So it was that he traveled to Copenhagen.

---------------------------------------

While the League of Armed Neutrality was no more, John Adams and a very friendly Congress began working on large-scale (for that time) expenditures, including a large Navy and a stronger militia. They funded these through taxes on things like whiskey, salt, and slaves; such taxes had been repealed by Jefferson’s Congress in 1797, and only some had been accepted by him once he had to deal with a more heavily Federalist Congress in 1799.

President Adams, somewhat humbled by his loss in 1796, still insisted that the nation needed to see itself as one nation, not as a bunch of individual states. He did, however, promise to benefit the South as well as the North. He also used the stronger militia to encourage those in rural areas that they need not fear Indian attacks as much; or Spanish, for those near Florida.

He also found a place where he could place a Southerner to soothe Southern concerns.

Some of Washington’s judicial appointees, such as Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth, had done quite well in establishing the nation’s traditions. Jefferson had appointed two justices, both Southerners, who supported his ideas of freedom. (Another, John Taylor of Caroline, was rejected by the Senate and a more moderate nominee replaced James Iredell instead.) John Breckinridge, especially, appointed in 1798, served only eight years but became well known for a few opinions. It was said by one historian that, “Breckinridge’s opinions demonstrate the power of the Bill of Rights to guarantee freedom of speech and other freedoms, thus pointing back to Jefferson’s insistence on a Bill of Rights for the Constitution. In a historical irony, a few side comments in these may have set the stage later for judicial review, as he believed that the Court could – in rare instances – overturn Federal laws that violated said Bill of Rights. He is one of the more underrated Justices ever, due to his early death.”

Ellsworth served until 1804, when he left the Court early because of ill health.(1) Because of the man who succeeded him, and Adams’ fear of either Hamilton or Madison succeeding him, there is also speculation that Ellsworth arranged with Adams to resign then rather than wait a few years. Either way, President Adams knew John Marshall from Congress. He knew Marshall would have an excellent legal mind. He appointed Marshall to replace Ellsworth as Chief Justice.

Things were slowly getting better for Adams and the Federalists. When the British made peace with France in the Peace of Amiens in 1802, some argued that the strong Navy was no longer needed. However, D-R gains in the midterms were modest, and the Federalists still held a majority in the Senate and House, meaning that the buildup continued.

Jefferson considered running again in 1804, but only briefly. He believed it was best to work from the sidelines. He disliked Adams’ decisions, but French actions had shown Madison that a strong Navy was needed, and even Jefferson considered the possibility of some Navy, such as had been used against Tripoli after the U.S. refused to pay tribute; indeed, even then, the Federalists had pushed for more expenditures in 1799 to make that war much more winnable, which it eventually was. Still, there had to be a middle ground in his arguments with Adams. So, he and Adams continued to write to each other, and while he would attack the Administration in his writings, he never attacked it as viciously as he might have; he knew how hard things were, having been President himself.

He did, however, encourage James Madison to run in 1804 on the D-R ticket. And, he was able to give Adams some helpful advice. Because, Adams was about to face the same kind of firestorm Jefferson had, seemingly no matter what he chose.

----------------------------------------------------------

James Monroe had been sent back to France with Richard R. Livingston in 1800 to negotiate an end to the Quasi War. Adams didn’t mind Livingston so much, so he kept him as ambassador; he was wary of what would happen if someone too pro-British was ambassador to France, as the situation was still touchy less than a year after relations had been restored.

The United States had been seeking to buy New Orleans. Livingston had been instructed by Jefferson to inquire into its purchase once relations were normalized – he suspected they would be, as he still trusted the French. John Adams had been told of it, and knew it would help the country, as it would increase commerce. So, he decided that – if the offer were made – he would accept it, for the right price.

When Livingston sent word that France was offering all of Louisiana, Adams quickly sent someone to assist in negotiations. Inside, though, he struggled. Yes, he favored a much less strict reading of the Constitution, but still, this purchase would transfer so much power to the West.

He thought Democratic-Republicans would oppose it, so was a little surprised by Jefferson’s support.

Though Adams disliked Talleyrand for his role in the XYZ Affair, it wasn’t as bad as if Adams had been President then; indeed, part of him wondered if Talleyrand had expected to be able to toy with the Francophile Jefferson. Adams would play hardball a little, but he eventually accepted the purchase as being too good to pass up.

Not only that, but he had an idea which would soften the blow for the North. It would, hopefully bring a few of the strongest voices in New England over to his side despite the potential loss of power by New England commerce.

Debate was fierce as it raged over the purchase. The Democratic-Republicans accused Adams of having too much ambition. However, he got enough votes for passage, because of New England support coming from a few select Senators.

That support came because Adams pushed for, and received, a law that prohibited slavery in the entirety of the Louisiana Purchase.(2) Jefferson was unsure, but George Washington wrote several letters which appeared in various newspapers applauding the idea, noting that he believed slavery was a dying institution. Jefferson, too, believed this, though he was uncertain of the law’s propriety, feeling it was better for individual states to make that decision. However, he was hopeful that perhaps his own state might see it as a sign and gradually abolish of slavery.

Washington noted that he planned to free his slaves upon his death and urged others to do so as well. (Martha, his wife, had died by this time.) He also suggested that the time would be right to gradually emancipate Virginia’s slaves. That would take a while, but his support caused a few more to think this was a good idea, at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

While John Adams (through his ambassadors) tried to negotiate an end to impressment after having obtained Louisiana, his son was trying his hand at European military training.(3)

“What a peculiar fellow,” was the first thing many Danes said of Charles Adams.

Their comments were directed at his ideas for improving the Danish military. He was seemingly more sensitive than his father, the president, in a way – which made him a bit better of a listener when they had questions or comments. Still, it was nothing like any fighting they’d ever seen.

Being the son of then-President John Adams, Charles was finally invited to speak with Crown Prince Frederick – reigning in his father’s stead since his father had mental problems - after he’d shared numerous ideas with the Danish military. Adams noted that if they fought England, it could mean attack from Sweden, Russia, and Britain. However, the tactics used by Americans to defeat the British would be most effective, he said, against the French in Jutland, not against a sea attack by Britain or Russia.

He also explained to the Crown Prince why even a republic like America would readily support the British over the French, and why Denmark should, too.

Frederick was doubtful, but nonetheless intrigued. He asked about the United States, its Revolutionary War, and so on. Adams noted with pride America’s accomplishments in beating “the greatest army on earth.” He said he understood that Europeans fought differently from Americans, but that was why American methods would be so helpful.

Charles said, “Baron von Steuben taught us the importance of military discipline, but you can be the most disciplined in the world and be destroyed meeting head on. However, the tactics used by Indians, which we mastered in our revolution, would cripple any large army. Take the British march back after losing a couple early battles.” He described how farmers had hidden behind barns, haystacks, anything they could and shot at the British troops, who were calmly marching along. “Now, Your Majesty, suppose well trained Danish soldiers with the excellent aim I’m sure they have and with practice, had replaced those farmers.”

“I see what you are saying,” Crown Prince Frederick said, still harboring doubts.

“Your Majesty, you need to be barbaric to beat Napoleon. The British know that; hence, their actions with Copenhagen in 1801 before your Swedish friends intervened. Let me teach your men,” Charles finished. He’d sounded quite blunt, but he’d gotten his point across. He wasn’t the diplomat of his older brother, but he wanted to be a von Steuben more than a Lafayette, anyway.

The Danes sent word to President Adams – with a letter from Charles – while the Peace of Amiens was intact. “What in blazes does that boy think he’s doing?” President Adams muttered. The press enjoyed poking fun at the fact that, “Even the president can have a wayward son.”

Still, the Danes had seemed interested – they just wanted someone with more military experience to assist. The letter also said they wanted someone less taken to drinking, but John figured that.

Adams supposed he could spare someone, so he did, and also sent an ambassador to establish more official and sounder diplomatic relations. He just hoped the British weren’t too antagonized. Although, at least there was peace for the moment.

--------------------------------------------------------

Help by the Swedes had fostered closer relations between Denmark-Norway and Sweden, and these continued. However, despite all the practice and perfecting their defensive barrier, they were cautious, not wanting to enter the war until they knew who would win, even with Sweden in the Third Coalition.

They were convinced to enter after Trafalgar. The French Navy was destroyed, and the Danes could be assured of freedom in working with Sweden to defend Jutland. Zealand would be safe. Given the friendship of the Swedes, and Danish hostility when France insisted on Denmark housing Spanish soldiers, Denmark-Norway decided to side with Britain. Their border with Sweden was safe, and the British could help them, too. Russia wouldn’t threaten them. More importantly, the Danish prince was convinced that France was the true enemy of Europe. Adamses were very often sure of themselves, after all, and that made him feel more confident as well. So, though there was opposition, the Danish declared war on France soon after they got word of the dynamic British victory at Trafalgar.

They felt very confident about these new plans; if the French did get through that narrow part of the peninsula, there were hills in the east of Denmark they could use, and their navy could bombard French positions. Zealand was safe, so their capital was, too. And, the number of nations allied against Napoleon seemed insurmountable. They even sent soldiers to fight Napoleon, figuring he would have to at least be slowed down by this huge coalition.

Weeks later, they were stunned, as news of Austerlitz came. It wasn’t just a defeat; it was a total rout by Napoleon’s forces. The Danes had cast their lot, though. They just had to hope that the French were too concerned about Prussia and Russia to care about them. And, then hope their strange Indian tactics really could defeat Napoleon.

They wouldn’t right away. But, starting toward the end of 1806, their presence would have major ramifications, as a chase after the Battle of Auerstedt would result in a key loss for Napoleon.

(1) Since Ellsworth is not on the boat to France to catch whatever illness he had that forced him to resign, he will stay on. He lived to 1807 OTL and continued to serve in public office after his resignation. Splitting the difference and figuring that the U.S. Supreme Court would be a little more stressful and force him to resign anyway, giving him a few more years seems right.

(2) As Jefferson even considered in OTL. Adams, a New Englander, sensing more the need to co-operate within his own party, with a few Federalists at least being opposed to slavery’s expansion, and even a few opposed to slavery altogether, insists on this here. At the very least, he would consider it a good bargaining tool to get Federalists from New England on his side.

(3) Even if he’d had little interest in it before in OTL, he’d learned concepts, at least, from Hamilton now, and his intent is more to become someone noteworthy. Besides, there was a little more help later sent to Denmark, as noted.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been talking about this TL for months; would have started in December or January except we practically didn't have a winter to keep me inside; only 4-5 days all year where I didn't walk because of too much snow/ice when it's usually 2-3 weeks total and the previous 2 it had been 4-5 weeks total over the 3+ months.:eek:

But, if you commented in any of the threads I mentioned searching concerning Hamilton, Burr, how Jefferson could win, etc., then yes, your discussions certainly did help.

And now, some butterflies which impact Europe, and how the Napoleonic Wars are changed slightly.

Part 5. You Win Some, You Lose Some

In October of 1806, Napoleon and his forces met Coalition forces at the Battle of Auerstedt – well, Napoleon was actually winning a battle in nearby Jena. Either way, a sizeable portion of Denmark’s military was based in the peninsula, waiting for the inevitable French attack, but some were sent to join the Fourth Coalition.

The Danes fought like pesky flies, but someone else got squished. Two, actually, counting the small Spanish forces Napoleon had ordered to try to secure Jutland for him.

It seems that while Napoleon was winning the nearby Battle of Jena, Davout tried to clean up at Auerstedt; he nearly crushed the Prussians there with one corps alone, except for those pesky Danes who fought alongside the Prussians. As the Prussians fought valiantly, the Danish used their hit and run tactics to cause confusion in Davout’s ranks.

Napoleon cleaned up the mess after arriving from Jena. But, he was livid. He might have saved Bernadotte’s job if Davout had managed to beat the Prussians singlehandedly anyway. But, he hadn’t – though he was in the process, some say it would have been a matter of time before he did. Bernadotte hadn’t involved himself until almost dragged in by the emperor himself. Napoleon nearly stripped him of his rank right there on the battlefield.(1)

Bernadotte pleaded for another chance, based on his wife being Napoleon’s former lover. Napoleon told him if he didn’t capture a Prussian general – Blucher, well known for his hatred of Napoleon - he would be sent back to France in disgrace. In what seemed like an impossible task, he would have given the man “one last chance.” Yet, if he somehow succeeded, Napoleon would have rid himself of a great enemy in Blucher – who, while not the actual leader, was a great figure for the Prussians to rally around. To Napoleon, Blucher would be a great trophy. More likely, Bernadotte himself would be so tattered he would utterly fail, and perhaps even be killed, preventing Napoleon from having to fire him.

The Danish hit and run measures ended up sparing Blucher’s life, as General Ewald assisted in the sneaking of Blucher out of Lubeck in the confusion surrounding the attack on the city. Bernadotte gave chase to the Danish frontier, where there had been clashes with French forces before. This attack sealed Denmark’s part in the Coalition.

Napoleon was kept abreast of the situation as his army cleared away other Prussian troops and still others capitulated to him. Not wishing to strike at the strong defenses when they had bigger fish to fry – namely Russian ones – Napoleon focused on the Russians. He had other plans for the Danish. Therefore, he didn’t send his troops in full force yet.

Bernadotte died charging the Danish as he tested to see if he could follow after Blucher and take Jutland - he couldn’t. Charles Adams was injured in the fighting; as he was carried off the field, he said, “May America and Denmark be forever strong and prosperous together.” He would live to fight another day, but as events unfolded, he would end up leaving Denmark for Mexico.

--------------------------------------------------

Napoleon attacked the Russians right away, feeling that he could destroy them as easily as he had the Prussians. He was desperate to get them into the Continental System, as the largest nation yet standing outside it. However, the Russians held him momentarily.

Combined with the presence of Denmark in the war, this convinced the British to accept an end to impressment of American sailors, before the “Ministry of All the Talents” government fell. Even after the Embargo Act against France was lifted, relations had been good with the Americans, and John Adams’ government had been quite kind to the British, though Britain was a little miffed at America buying Louisiana. Still, the Americans had been friendly, and continued to be somewhat so even with Madison in charge.

The treaty was sent back to Washington, where the president signed it. Americans would have preferred to be able to trade with everyone, but they would take this major victory for now. The treaty would later be extended to include the neutrality of the Great Lakes and an end to British sponsoring of Indian raids, though the latter would cause some problems in the early 1810s before cooler heads prevailed, partly because of the warm relations between the two since Adams took over the White House.

Back in Europe, Russia fought Napoleon to a draw a couple times, as noted. The Battle of Eylau was a Russian victory, though some call it more of a draw - had it been fought earlier it would be considered as such. However, weather forced both armies into winter quarters right afterward, so Eylau was seen as Napoleon’s first real defeat on land, as it forced him back from his previous position.(2) It was only here, as Napoleon reorganized his forces during the winter, that Claude Victor-Perrin became a marshal in place of Bernadotte.

Later that year, Napoleon and Czar Alexander fought a few large battles that could have gone either way. Russia defeated him at Guttstadt-Deppen, for instance, but they couldn’t stop the French entirely. The slugfest, like a match between two powerful boxers, took all of Napoleon’s cunning, but he finally forced Alexander to surrender and sign a treaty in late summer of 1807.

Napoleon had planned to invade Spain and Portugal next, to close the Iberian Peninsula ports. His plan was clever.

Believing the Danes to be easily beatable, Napoleon sent the Spanish to invade Jutland. He would march down to invade Portugal while Spain was busy, after which his forces in Spain would take over the country, while the Spanish held Denmark. He figured they would take it, and in the best case scenario, be tired out from it and unable to easily come and defend their homeland. If they took Jutland easily, though, he figured he could still handle Spain easily.

However, a combination of Denmark’s strong defenses at the smallest point of the peninsula, plus the hit and run tactics, meant Spanish forces got crushed. Denmark’s troops pestered them like crazy when some got into the hills on the east of Jutland and in the bogs on the west. The Danes had held the peninsula at the narrowest point.

Napoleon was exasperated. Forget having to decide whether to invade Zealand while Russia attacked Sweden in an attempt to get Finland – a promise Alexander had made in the peace. Napoleon hadn’t even gotten Jutland yet! Spain was even more vulnerable now, but he was too incensed to listen to that line of reasoning.

Napoleon and his army stormed into Jutland, putting the remaining Spanish in front so they could take the brunt of the casualties. The valiant defenders held for a time, but their bravery and heroic deeds couldn’t last. Napoleon claimed Jutland by early 1808. Still, he needed thousands of men to hold it, and he’d lost more than expected against the Russians. Plus, the Danish and British navies had evacuated government officials, were protecting Zealand and Copenhagen, and were bombarding French troops. Constant bombardment meant he couldn’t possibly take Zealand. “Don’t fire till you see the whites of their eyes” had become famous in a second country. Finally, the Danish were using what would be known as “guerilla tactics” from the Spanish to a great effect, though the Spanish would be more notorious for it because the Danish had help from Britain. Jutland would still become a thorn in Napoleon’s side.

John Adams would write to Thomas Jefferson, “Charles’ actions, even if they are not the most fruitful, have done one very positive thing; they have introduced to Europe the knowledge that America has its own abilities and traditions, ones which Europeans should notice are equal to, if not superior to, her own. You like to say that America should keep to herself, a tiny agrarian nation which remains aloof to the world outside. But I tell you that America is worth more than that, and should insist on her own proud place as an equal among the family of Nations, one which can educate Europeans more perfectly in the ways of government, and that she should not rest until she is accorded her right to do so.”

Charles Adams would leave Denmark within a year, partly because of his attitude, partly because he was a convenient person for the court to blame as to why Jutland was still occupied. However, he had earned the respect of a lot of Danish people, and would surface again in Mexico a few years later.

------------------------------

Napoleon had forced Russia into the Continental System, but Russia thought they could take on the less powerful Swedes after a few months to recover; the attack on Finland would begin in late April 1808. Czar Alexander hoped he would get French support in his attack.

However, Sweden wasn’t afraid of a Danish attack, freeing over 20,000 troops. Britain helped as well, though Sir John Moore and Sweden’s king had some disagreements; victory made things easier,a nd Moore could always go to Zealand and try to land in Jutland. So, while taken by surprise at first, Sweden beat the Russians enough to force a draw. Alexander was miffed - France hadn’t given him any support. Finnish civilians also gave the Russians fits. A truce was signed, though no final treaty yet, as winter came. Alexander personally led the spring offensive in 1809 and lost, admitting defeat a few months later and settling for a status quo ante peace.

Napoleon had more on his plate, too. He decided going beyond Jutland was too risky. And, all those ships meant the British could sneak food and such in, with some even getting in to Jutland rebels. His army had been damaged, but on the other hand, thousands of Spanish soldiers had died. He had to close Iberian ports to the British and their allies. So, he would leave a force in Jutland and march down to Iberia.

So, in June, 1808, Napoleon attacked. His original plan, capturing Portugal and turning on Spain, worked perfectly. It was easy for Napoleon’s troops to take over all of Spain once they were stationed there, though holding it would be another matter. Still, the British were stretched thin. When they landed in Lisbon under the command of Sir Harry Burrard, they performed rather poorly, and only Junot’s inconsistency allowed them to remain on par with them.

Then, Sir Hew Dalrymple showed up, leading to an embarrassing defeat,(3) and after several weeks, the British left. Still, Portugal made matters so difficult for the French Junot was soon in great trouble, and had to be helped by the more competent Soult. Portugal, like Spain, would be a constant headache for the French.

Wellington – involved with Sir John Moore in the saving of Zealand from the French – had been sent with Francisco de Miranda to attack the Spanish in Venezuela,(4) where first only the Andean provinces, but quickly the area of Caracas, supported independence. So, it had been easier to call on the other leaders right away rather than recall him for Portugal; Moore continued to be helping Denmark-Norway while verbally sparring with Gustav Adolphus of Sweden. Still, word was eventually sent to Wellesley to return to England.

Meanwhile, the troops intended for Portugal were sent to Denmark, where they would serve under Moore.(5) Burrard and Dalrymple were retired, with many thinking Spanish and Portugese gains would have been far greater without them.

British confusion led to many harsh jokes, such as this addition to the famous nursery rhyme, “Pussycat, Pussycat,” after the line, “I spotted a mouse under a chair.”

“Pussycat, Pussycat, was it a treat? Nay there was a man I chance did meet.
Pussycat, Pussycat, ‘twas Dalrymple? Yes and now London with mice is full.”

The British would pour troops into Jutland, and – with the Danes themselves - bug Napoleon to no end. They would at least try to get back into Spain or Portugal; but Jutland was close to Hanover, which was important to the British. More importantly for history’s sake, it was much better than Antwerp and its sickness, which might have been considered without better options. Now, Jutland seemed best for an invasion, as they could free Hanover, which was nearby, at the same time, if they were lucky.(6)

Events in Europe were now having an impact on the United States, too. With peace made with Britain, and more things being worked out, the U.S. felt free to consider points south, as the new administration elected in 1804 sought to use this buildup.

(1) Bernadotte was almost sacked in OTL. Familial relations saved him. Here, with Napoleon having to exert more energy, he’s madder and sacks him, not making it look like a total sack

(2) In OTL, only about a week after Eylau, Napoleon won the Battle of Ostroteka, then was forced into winter quarters. The fact he stopped right after Eylau for quite a while TTL is part of why it would be considered a defeat, but there are more French casualties, too, in the confusion around Bernadotte’s loss even without Napoleon losing his plans. Still, OTL’s Antietam may be a good analogy.

(3) OTL, these two men came after Wellington (then called Wellesley) had defeated Junot at Lisbon; here, they are in charge from the start and do much more poorly.

(4) Wellington was originally ordered to sail for the Spanish colonies but then his orders were changed at the last minute, in June of 1808. Here, his orders would not be changed in time, nor would they be delayed. In fact, Spanish losses in Denmark may hasten support in Venezuela itself for a revolt and for British aid.

(5) Moore was recalled from the Baltic in 1808 because of conflict with the Swedish king. Here, he still had the Danish help he is getting along well with, but also, the Swedish king may not be as irritable, given that the Swedes are winning; or at least fighting Russia to a draw.

(6) OTL’s raid was in Antwerp because they were already in Iberia, but since they control the seas and Denmark is an ally – and especially because it helps them get to Hanover quickly - Jutland is viable. While it may seem like Coalition armies are in bad shape, they will soon have Sir John Moore and the future Duke of Wellington both in Jutland, and Spain will still be a mess.

------------------

Europe is at a cliffhanger. Some interesting little things have caused enough changes that things could go a number of different ways. You may be surprised at the way I have them go, or maybe not.

However, I think it's important first to cover the U.S., becasue a lot of thigns are going to happen there, too. So, the next few will cover that in depth.

Thanks. I've been talking about this TL for months; would have started in December or January except we practically didn't have a winter to keep me inside; only 4-5 days all year where I didn't walk because of too much snow/ice when it's usually 2-3 weeks total and the previous 2 it had been 4-5 weeks total over the 3+ months.:eek:

But, if you commented in any of the threads I mentioned searching concerning Hamilton, Burr, how Jefferson could win, etc., then yes, your discussions certainly did help.

That's alright. My first TL, Stars & Stripes was in the planning stages for over a year and a half. Can you imagine that?

Also, I may have commented on a few of your past threads, but TBH, I'm not 100% sure. Still, though, count me subscribed. :D

Part 6: Get Out the Vote

John Adams was weary. “Eight years is doable for younger men, but I do not want to be in this office when I am 73 years old.” He thought for a moment. “The Senate, perhaps. It suited me well, and I did not have an entire nation on my shoulders.”

With that declaration early in 1804, he set abuzz a flurry of declarations. First was Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton actively opposed Aaron Burr for governor – Federalists were still popular in New York, and George Clinton had only won when John Jay left the seat in 1801 because of his immense popularity. Hamilton had wholeheartedly supported the Louisiana Purchase, claiming that it would “make America great.” Hamilton thought he had a good shot at the Presidency; indeed, many said this was the best time for him.

Indeeed, Federalists had done well in 1800 and 1802 after their 1798 triumphs; it was the power of the Northerners that had allowed the Louisiana Purchase to pass without slavery in any of it, something which had upset D-R supporters who believed in the rights of states to determine laws for themselves; of course, as was noted by a number of Federalists, territories aren’t states. Still, it was a bone of contention.

Once the election for New York Governor was over (in spring of ’04), Burr – having lost - jumped in, hoping to be the D-R candidate for President. Burr began rolling over old affairs – which Hamilton had admitted to; and, while nobody is certain Burr was responsible, someone dared to start rumors that Hamilton couldn’t run, having been born in the West Indies?

One historian later wrote, “That challenge never stood up, and Hamilton made an excellent demonstration of why he was eligible. He’d been a U.S. resident at independence, and that clause had been placed in the Constitution specifically for him. This marked the start of much partisan bickering. Of course, some speculate that Jefferson, were he in the minority in 1796, might have sparred with Adams much more in 1800. However, this marked a watershed year. Hamilton’s party was in power – so it is possible he didn’t battle as viciously as he might have. Still, the two men battled for the Presidency in one state, and for that state’s electors, with such ferocity that it’s hard to imagine how they could have dueled more forcefully.”

The Federalists and Democratic-Republicans were each considering alternatives. Though Jefferson had supported Burr as a Vice Presidential candidate, he and Burr had lost the 1800 election. Madison considered asking Burr to be Vice President, but Burr’s mind was set on the Presidency or on the Senate, and he feared that the extremely negative campaign in New York made Burr too controversial for the V.P. position, even if he would accept.

Madison decided a New Englander was best, anyway. However, one possibility, Elbridge Gerry, was between the two parties. While that would potentially draw New England votes, he preferred someone who would more clearly represent their party. So, in the end, Madison asked John Langdon of New Hampshire,(1) whom he hoped would bring New England in. Langdon had a wealth of experience as both a senator and governor, and unlike Gerry, his service under John Paul Jones could convince people that, unlike Jefferson, Madison would support more military preparedness, thus dampening an issue on which Adams had won in 1800.

Burr insisted that he should still be in the discussion as a D-R, and planned to use his political patronage (what would become Tammany Hall in decades to come) to try to get a key position. And, he said if Hamilton ran, he would oppose him, too.

The Federalists, meanwhile, after being unable to coax John Jay out of retirement, and finding John Adams refusing to run (Though a couple Federalist electors would vote for him), decided that it was either Hamilton or Charles C. Pinckney. John Adams then caused a stir by saying that he couldn’t support Hamilton, and supported Burr in his concerns about Hamilton’s radicalness.

The craziness produced a political cartoon which became very famous. States were represented by people having a pleasant discussion as they walked down a scenic, country road. Several people represented New York - these people were engaged in a very loud brawl, with shouts, punching, and so on that the others glanced at with disdain.

Federalists began to warm to Hamilton, especially the New Englanders. Hamilton was an expansionist leader who would do a lot of good and ease their fears over the war fervor by expanding the military. These fears were dying down, but they could spring up again. After all, the British were still impressing American sailors at that date, and Spain was also a possible target. If Burr tried to throw support behind Madison, so what? Burr was a Democratic-Republican. Hamilton was from New York anyway, and he would carry it much more easily than Charles C. Pinckney.

Yes, there was Pinckney, one of the main Federalist leaders. With President Adams ensuring that slavery would not exist in Louisiana, it drew excited cheers from the most boisterous anti-slavery voices in New England. This caused those opposed to Hamilton to label him an abolitionist thanks to Hamilton’s ardent support of the Purchase. (He was actually somewhat ambivalent on the issue – though for blacks who were free, he believed an integrated society was possible. Either way; many Southerners considered Pinckney to be the only choice.)

Hamilton’s VP choice was Robert Goodlee Harper, known for saying, “Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute.” They emphasized a strong defensive mindset. Burr, to try to take votes from Hamilton and give them hopefully to Madison, tried to draw attention away from that and spread rumors – copied by Hamilton’s other opposition – that he planned to ban slavery. When this had little effect, he added to those stories of a plan to fight the British by invading Canada to increase Northeastern power; never mind that Hamilton was very pro-British. In the days before the end of impressment, it seemed possible.

Burr, meanwhile, was still on a Presidential kick, promising that he would protect Georgian farmers from the Spanish in Florida. Hamilton tried to reassure people by stating he’d love to have Florida himself – as a place with “no Republicans.” However, Burr used this to make him seem like a tyrant. Burr was seen by those in the South as the one candidate who would protect plantation owners’ interests. In reality, such Southern beliefs helped to create one of the more ironic twists in American political history, given Burr’s later actions in Louisiana, even if they were based partly on political expedience on Burr’s part..

Such feelings on Burr’s part riled up the Federalists even more – they feared that a Burr run – or even Burr’s support of Madison – would doom them in the South.

Suddenly the same factions that saw the Constitutional Convention divided on this matter flared up again. Jefferson wrote poignantly in a letter to the editor of his local paper, “This is exactly why the state, and not the Federal government, must reign supreme in all things….Had we chosen to allow slavery in Louisiana, it would have been the individual settlers who made that choice…. A strong central government is not only the antithesis of a true democracy as we have ordained, its inherent weakness is made evident in debates such as this.”

Madison tried to remain above the fray. He managed to some extent, but he couldn’t help but reminisce about the Constitutional Convention to one reporter:

“We decided on the 3/5 compromise, and the extension of the slave trade for only twenty years, because in doing so, we sought to please all sides,” he said, “to create a document which would stand the test of time. It was very, very hard to do so….We can, and shall, have a strong military, especially our navy, under a Democratic-Republican administration. At the same time, though, we shall not allow the country to become dominated by one section or the other, nor will we ever allow a strong military to gain a foothold with which it could squash our freedom.”

Adams’ move to prohibit slavery in Louisiana had passed by summer. This caused Southerners, concerned about their own livelihoods, to consider Florida as a potential target, through purchase or otherwise. Hamilton might be able to get them that, but on the other hand, Pinckney could, too. And, Hamilton had some major negatives. The first was his very sordid affair, what some thought was one of several, in 1795. The second was that Hamilton had never held an elected office. Aaron Burr had at least done that, though Burr seemed marked more by self-interest than anything. Burr had already begun to buy some land in Louisiana, something which would go fast with slaveholders moving out.

With an eye toward reconciling the two sections of the country, the Democratic-Republicans chose Madison and Langdon. Madison hoped people would remember his work on the Constitution, and believe therefore that he could help resolve this sectional conflict, too.

Federalists were divided. However, swayed by the New England delegates – several of whom threatened to march off and support Hamilton anyway if Pinckney was nominated – they chose Hamilton and Harper. The phrase, “Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute” would become a prominent campaign slogan for them.

This troubled the Southern Federalists, who felt Pinckney was much more viable – he’d held office and he’d never had the kind of affair Hamilton had! The debate had become so intense that they decided to nominate Pinckney in a separate ballot, hoping to get enough delegates on their side to get him elected. As one noted, “We felt like we were being run by the New Englanders, and we wanted to put a stop to it.”

It wouldn’t have mattered if they had remained together behind either candidate.

Madison, in selecting Langdon, had found a man who would support a navy and who understood New Englanders. Pinckney’s choice of a Northerner, but Hamilton was well known enough he drew Massachusetts and New York anyway, as well as Maryland (save for the two Adams electors) and Connecticut. Delaware (won by Pinckney) would have been a tossup had only Hamilton and Madison run, but Madison took New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Pennsylvania easily. Hamilton would not have won a majority even if Pinckney had not run.

Not only that, but had only Hamilton run, Madison would have won Tennessee, if not South Carolina, both of which Pinckney won. And, Pinckney may have won Georgia were it not for Hamilton, but he surely wouldn’t have won New York, and even Massachusetts and his own South Carolina are questionable.

So, Pinckney won Tennessee, South Carolina, and Delaware, as well as two of Maryland’s electors, for 20 electoral votes. Adams was given 2 Maryland electors, while Hamilton won Maryland’s other 7 electors, as well as New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, for 54 electoral votes. Madison took all the other states, and received 100 electoral votes. Even without Georgia, he would have had a majority.

A noted historian later pointed out two keys to Madison’s campaign. “He grew from following Jefferson’s footsteps to learning from Jefferson’s mistakes and agreeing on just enough of the Federalists’ goals that he was able to win some over. People could see this wasn’t a repeat of Jefferson. But, also, his choice of Langdon showed that he understood the need to have the rich base of New England represented,” he wrote.

As for the Federalists, they’d learned from their mistakes. Hamilton was a very good candidate, but he was still hurt by the scandalous affair. More importantly, he was viewed by some as more of a sectional candidate who still hadn’t won an election. “It’s too bad,” the same historian wrote, “because Hamilton had a brilliant mind. His work on the Federalist papers, his work in the Treasury, his military service all point to him as an excellent choice….if Adams hadn’t run in 1800 he would have, and he might have won, but Adams’ near miss of ’96 meant most Federalists felt it was “his turn.” Yes, there was concern about war, but Madison had answered that satisfactorily to enough people that Madison wound up as the fourth President.”

From his home in Mount Vernon, George Washington, now 72, was quoted as saying, “I remember when Mr. Franklin said we have a Republic if we can keep it; we have seen many scenarios lately, and I believe it is a testimony to our system of government that we have met every test and passed it.”

The Federalists felt they had to reinvent themselves somehow. They would slowly evolve and do this, but it would take a war to help unite the sections of the nation as one first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To enlist the support of some Federalists in Congress, Madison had crossed party lines and appointed a couple to key positions, though men like Jefferson’s Treasury Secretary, Gallatin, were placed in key positions to support D-R ideals.

Madison would serve two terms, including being part of one very confused war.

War did not come with Britain, as Madison continued attempts to make peace with them. In one effort to reach across the aisle, Madison used John Adams’ son, John Quincy Adams, at times to help with treaty negotiations with Great Britain. As tensions rose with Spain, he knew it was best to secure a treaty with Britain, though he also kept Adams’ ambassador to Britain.

The fact that the Danish were in the war on the Coalition side helped; the British had a few more Naval supporters, though they and the Danes squabbled a little over who should have control. However, another incident shamed the British – in early 1807, they chased a ship to the U.S. because they claimed the U.S. ship held British sailors, but in fact the sailors were U.S. ones who had previously been impressed by the British but escaped! It had no British sailors on it! (2)

The British Parliament voted to end impressment, partly because of the embarrassing debacle that had come out of the Chesapeake Affair, mostly because the United States was at war with an enemy – Spain. Madison had signed a treaty with the British in 1806, and the Senate passed it, but he’d insisted on something further. Now, he would receive it.

The treaty corollary in August of 1807 called for the Great Lakes to be totally free of weapons and warships, officially ended impressment, and also ended British support for natives harassing settlers in the Midwest. Madison proudly proclaimed that, “Today, we can finally say that the British recognize us as their equals in the community of nations, as we have truthfully been since we declared our independence.”

Jefferson had been against the extension of Jays’ Treaty, but with the corollary having been signed late in 1807, he wrote to Adams that, now that the British were finally accepting them as equals, he could grudgingly accept it, given the war which had erupted with Spain, . However, he truly hoped that once the present war was over, “America would settle down and become the small, isolationist, agrarian nation it was meant to be.”

The war which Jefferson wrote of, had come because of greatly increased tensions between Spain and America. Antagonism had reached a fever pitch earlier.

(1) Langdon was asked in 1812 but he declined; he was over 70 at the time. It’s also possible the stir raised by the war made him decline in 1812, another factor which wouldn’t be present here.

(2) Whether this Chesapeake Affair analogue is the same ship but without the British sailor who was found, or a different ship, isn’t as important as the fact that relations were better, and something like this could have happened. Plus, as noted, the British don’t quite feel as much need to impress with another navy on its side.

Now this would make a great ATL movie - or three or four

I couldn't wait, with Sunday often busier and Monday looking to be, without posting information on what happened to the war fervor.

Part 7: The Spy Who Flubbed Me

General James Wilkinson had problems.

In charge of the military in the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase, he’d seen quite a bit of controversy when President Adams signed the bill banning slavery throughout the new territory. Quite a few of the plantation owners offered their plots for sale and moved. By the time March 4, 1805 rolled around, there was already a fair amount of land speculation, and the main glut of sellers and incoming buyers – slowed by the communication of the era – wouldn’t come till the summer of 1805. He’d been able to deal with the natives, most of whom didn’t mind so long as they could live freely. However, the potential for many incoming farmers – for at least some of the plantations would likely be split up – greatly complicated his ambitions.

Hopeful that Madison might reconsider when he took office, he wrote to Madison that winter suggesting that allowing slavery in at least part of the territory would ease tension between Spain and the U.S.; which was only partly true. It seemed that West Florida, as well as a part of Louisiana around the Red River, were receiving a lot of immigrants from the New Orleans area, which was agitating the Spanish - these territories were under dispute between the United States and Spain. However, as of the start of 1805, the incoming Frenchmen to those areas weren’t agitating for these areas to be admitted to the United States.

Madison was, however. He replied that, in his opinion, these areas – or at least a small part of West Florida – constituted part of the Louisiana Purchase. He further upset Wilkinson by relating the following: Such men could live in West Florida if they chose, because “When we come to an understanding with the Spanish concerning its standing, West Florida will be slave territory as they desire.” Madison didn’t think he had the votes to repeal the ban on slavery in Louisiana, but he readily supported the concept of West Florida as a state; perhaps they could convince the Spanish to give them all of West Florida.

Wilkinson promptly reported this to the Spanish authorities in the area, which made them very nervous. They’d have been nervous about exploration, anyway, but now? With bunches of people from Louisiana streaming into West Florida, and Madison hinting at U.S. desires on the entirety of West Florida? Wilkinson had been providing the Spanish with intelligence for quite some time, as a double agent of sorts, and he wrote bluntly, “This can’t end well.”

Wilkinson still felt some loyalty to the U.S., too, though, so as more and more speculators arrive throughout 1805, he tried to throw blame off of the United States by blaming land speculators. He knew Aaron Burr and others couldn’t be charged with treason, but he tried to attach Burr to an attempt to involve the United States in a war with Spain. Burr, for his part, angrily denounced Wilkinson, saying that while he believed war with Spain was quite likely, he was only reacting to it. And, if the United States wanted, he would gladly sell any land he’d purchased.

Wilkinson’s outrage, to Madison, seemed more likely to stir things up with Spain; even if Burr was trying to start a war, that only violated the Anti-Neutrality Act, and it was hard to see how this was deliberately provoking war, anyway; it seemed that any slaveowner who moved into West Florida was provoking war then, too.

Not only that, but Madison confessed privately that, “I fear the stress of holding such a large area is getting to him, for he seems to feel that everyone who goes down there is endangering our nation, when in fact there are many valid claims which are being sold.” He sent a dispatch stating that General Wilkinson was protesting too much, and that even if one of the many speculators directly violated the Neutrality Act it would only be a misdemeanor; and Madison doubted even that much would occur. The ones moving into West Florida, except for a small number from the Southwest, were French slaveowners from Louisiana itself.

After conferring with an ill George Washington – still the nominal head of the Army – in April of 1806, Madison decided the best move was to relieve Wilkinson of command and place him in a “less stressful place,” as it was clear, from what Madison said, that, “Diplomacy is not his forte.” The dispatch to Wilkinson said that Alexander Hamilton, Washington’s pick to handle any war with Spain, would come to lead any needed military expeditions, while Merriweather Lewis would become the new governor of the territory itself.

Wilkinson was slightly relieved; he wouldn’t have to necessarily choose between the U.S. and Spain while fighting. However, he was positively scared of losing his healthy source of revenue from the Spanish. Therefore, he sent a dispatch thanking Madison and requesting a leave of absence from the military for an “indeterminate time,” as he was “feeling ill.” That, of course, was partly true, but only because he was sick to his stomach thinking about how else he could communicate with the Spanish.

Meanwhile, he continued to engage Burr in a war of words, inflaming things further.

After Wilkinson was relieved of command, he made a major error. Having received his temporary leave and thus not having to go anywhere, he remained in the area, hoping that maybe he could earn a little more from the Spanish for his work.

Andrew Jackson had bought land and picked up on the accusations against Wilkinson. Jackson insulted Wilkinson further in the papers. He could tell that his business partner, Burr, wasn’t in too much trouble – indeed, Jackson could buy all the land from him if need be – but that Wilkinson was doing something dirty, though he wasn’t sure what.

Wilkinson, in a rage over Jackson’s insults and over Hamilton’s refusal to look into any charges Wilkinson made, confronted Jackson. Before anyone knew what had happened, the fierce argument turned into Wilkinson challenging Jackson to a duel, which Jackson readily accepted.

In a book on the events leading up to, and during, the war against Spain, one historian wrote, “There is considerable debate to this day as to whether Wilkinson deliberately provoked Jackson after the insult, thus causing more rancor and a plausible challenge by the general.….There have, of course, been those who say that the letter he gave to his second, sealed as it was, supports the notion that he intended to ‘fall on his own sword’ or ‘suicide by duel,’ one might call it. On the other hand, exoneration was still possible at this time in the court of public opinion, and he could have found ways to avoid fighting the Spanish without having to totally resign his commission.”

The letter in question listed his accomplishments and his great love for his country, the United States. He remarked that in having contact with Spain, he in no way intended to cause the U.S. harm. On the contrary, he wrote, “Spain had been an ally,” who he felt free to communicate with, and he’d hoped – by telling them of American interests over the last few months – that war could be averted. He closed by saying, “My only crime is that of being a really lousy diplomat.”

Proponents of the “falling on his own sword” theory believe that he was considering fighting Spain, but didn’t know what to do as far as any effort he would put forth on either side. Others claim that he would have fought against Spain making every effort to win and that this is why he was so incensed by Jackson’s statements. Still others claim that he would have sold the U.S. out entirely, and that this is why he attempted to make peace, so he wouldn’t have to – and that when war seemed imminent, he made a rash decision to fight a duel.

Whatever the case, General Wilkinson and Andrew Jackson met as clashes mounted between the Spanish and U.S. settlers in West Florida, as more Americans had begun to trickle into that area. There had also been a clash along the Red River which General Wilkinson had negotiated a truce to weeks before, as he’d purposely done this to try to ease tensions. Wilkinson, it is said, seemed “resigned to his fate, whatever it might be.”

The duelists and their parties had snuck away to a secret area. Wilkinson’s double noted the sealed envelope and suggested that it be opened so the matter could be settled in a court of law. Jackson refused, saying, “Let’s wait till afterward and spare him the embarrassment of having to read his full confession right here.” Wilkinson was incensed, and looked ready to draw his gun, but Jackson held up his pistol and said, “Don’t you try to pull anything; I’m the roughest, toughest, gunslinger in these parts!”

The duel commenced with Jackson, the one challenged, shooting first and killing Wilkinson, though not before Wilkinson, firing second, getting off a decent shot which went into the air. Whether he intended to miss is also up for debate; the Wilkinson-Jackson duel is the most famous in U.S. history.

Jackson was cleared by a grand jury, partly because of some suspicion of Wilkinson, but also partly because he had followed rules of dueling to the letter. Jackson was cleared to fight in the coming war, but that was not all that would redeem him.

A bloc of Southern Senators and former Senators, led by C.C. Pinckney, insisted upon an invasion of Florida, which continued to protect runaway slaves, and possibly of Texas, though it was still too far away for America to easily claim.

Some in New England were against the war at first, as some wanted to ensure that peace was made with Britain first. While impressment wasn’t as bad as it might have been, it still happened. However, British impressment ceased when it became clear America would be on Britain’s side, since Spain was a French ally, and the peace with Britain was made. Much of the rest of the nation was in favor, and soon New England got on board, too, as the entire nation felt united behind a common purpose, rather than each section feeling like its own region independent of the others. States’ rights would still be important, but te nation felt unified..

In February, 1807, the final straw came. Zebulon Pike and a small group of explorers were attacked by the Spanish. War fervor had increased to where Congress had remained in session when the new Congress began in March, because of a number of incidents. It hadn’t just been the Pike expedition. Spain had sent troops across the U.S. border in response to Georgians raiding into Florida to recapture slaves and also to a battle between settlers in West Florida and Spanish officials. In spring of 1807, the United States declared war on Spain.

President Madison sent troops down to Florida from the standing army Adams had raised, and ordered the now stronger U.S. Navy to attempt to seize some key Spanish ports in Florida. Andrew Jackson, back in Louisiana by this time, raised a militia to defend the city and also to launch raids across into West Florida. He wound up successfully defending New Orleans.

France’s invasion of Spain complicated things for both the next year; word reached the United States about a month after Napoleon turned the tables on Spain and captured all of its key installations. The British hinted that the U.S. might want to consider offering to buy parts of Florida from Spain that the United States hadn’t gained total control of it by that summer.

The British suggestion, when word reached Jackson, caused him to blurt, “Who in blazes do we give the money to? There is no Spain! Let’s take it all!”

Britain also acknowledged that if the U.S. attacked French colonies, it would free more of their own navy up for actions on the continent itself, as Jutland was becoming a key source for getting supplies to Europe, though they also tried to help the Spanish rebels some.

The war was very difficult for the U.S., but Hamilton’s forces were helped greatly by a number of lesser known officers. Two of the greatest heroes for the United States were naval men, Oliver Hazard Perry and Stephen Decatur. The U.S., in the months before France turned on Spain, had sent a number of ships down to Florida. The U.S. had trouble against the more experienced Spanish, but after the Spanish attempted to attack Charleston, leading to a famous nighttime battle and heroic stand, the entire nation was eager to defeat Spain.

However, it was another attack and the Spanish bureaucracy that caused even more of a stir.

Captured in a raid on one government building in Pensacola, most of the papers were believed to be unimportant. However, as the captured papers were given a cursory examination later that month, the last of the information from General Wilkinson was discovered. It had not yet been shipped away, as the Spanish hadn’t expected this raid to be able to come so soon; they were still using information from it.

Suddenly, the nation was in an uproar. All through 1808, cries of “Treason” were heard. And, Andrew Jackson was hailed as even more of a hero for “executing” Wilkinson along with winning at New Orleans.

The war did take a toll on the U.S., though, and eventually Britain mediated an end. The United States got East and West Florida, with a favorable settlement of the border issue with Texas. The United States had a very hard fought victory. The British had also promised not to antagonize the Indians against the U.S. or support them, and they’d already cleared out the forts. They could tell that this administration, at least, was willing to befriend them, even if they weren’t as pro-British as Hamilton and Adams had been.

Madison easily won re-election over Pinckney – who only won two states. Still, while Burr’s Presidential hopes seemed to be fading – he was seen as too full of self-interest for many – Hamilton’s weren’t, though now, his problem was that he was getting older, and really needed to run for elective office somewhere first. His record as a general in the latest war was not that great, and he’d been overshadowed by Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. And, the Federalists had new, younger candidates, such as Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and of course John Quincy Adams.(1)

(1) John Quincy Adams broke with the Federalists over his support of the Louisiana Purchase and the Embargo Act. The former not being as unpopular and the latter not occurring against Britain, he would be seen, here, as simply a moderated Federalist, one of a new generation who would not seem as problematic to the Democrat-Republicans.

Brilliant! My only complaint is that the war with Tripoli was due to Jefferson refusing to pay the Barbary Pirates any tribute, so the war would happen in Jefferson's term.

thanks, fixed (nice that the board gives you a few days). Shouldn't be much of a difference, except with little navy the U.S. might not be able to do much till 1799 when the Federalist Congress insists ona budget with more naval expenditures.

Last edited:
The United States' political situation is convoluted enough that the next posts will cover it. Because Europe's may well be even more so for a bit!

Part 8. Parties Reinvent Themselves

President Madison’s second term, from 1809-1813, was relatively uneventful. Still, he’d have some choices to make, especially concerning the Bank of the United States – it had been helpful, but now, it seemed that everything was peaceful enough that it wasn’t needed. He was under pressure to end it, as well as from other D-R members who claimed the war itself was a violation of true Republican principals such as a very small standing army. Pressure was mounting from the quids in his party, and ending the Bank would be a good way to prevent a party split as the Federalists had witnessed in 1804.

Eventually, Madison was convinced that he could refuse to renew the Bank of the United States. It had served a useful purpose, and as the states grew stronger they could pick up more of the slack. In addition, the increased Democratic-Republican showing in Congress – by 1811 a majority in both houses – made it easy for him to make that decision.

The Federalists were doing a good job of reinventing themselves, despite their insistence on the National Bank. Gone were the squabbles between factions within their party. C. C. Pinckney had lost so badly in 1808 that he was not seen as a viable candidate anymore. Along with this went most of the support for the ultra-elitist Federalists; never again would there be support for states to select members of the House of Representatives, for instance. Hamilton realized even with his war record and now a seat in Congress, he might have to moderate his views somewhat to win; though he wouldn’t very much.

Also, attempts by New England Federalist to confine slavery had worked, and with Florida acquired as an area for slaveholders to expand to, most in the South were satisfied. They knew even if Washington, who had died late in 1806, had been mistaken about slavery gradually ending, it didn’t need to grow substantially. The slave trade had ended in 1808 on schedule, and there hadn’t been much of a fuss. Federalists were totally focused on national expansion, with slavery dying down as an issue nearly a decade after Adams’ decision to buy Louisiana.

In the more agrarian D-R camp, talk was about keeping the government small and states’ rights big, versus the Federalists’ large, centralized government and support of business. A couple prominent D-R members, at least, had spoken out about the gradual end of slavery in the future, most notably Jefferson, who agreed with Washington. Some began a push in Virginia for the gradual freeing of slaves in that state.

Madison wrote in his diary: “America has weathered the storm some feared would tear us apart. It appears that slavery is, if not on its way out now, soon to be so state by state.”

Another, more minor thing impacted it. Despite it being banned in all of the Louisiana Purchase, slaveholders had moved into the area of the New Madrid Fault by 1811 with their slaves, hoping to get the law overturned eventually. The mighty earthquakes there killed many of these settlers, which made a few people claim the quakes were the wrath of God on the presence of slaves. While this was very minor, and only the Second Great Awakening meant it was considered at all, it did have an impact on keeping more settlers from considering going into the Purchase area with slaves. Still, enough other settlers went that the area grew steadily, though they were settlers who did not own slaves.

Madison supported the 1808 establishment of the Africa Recolonization Society. Its goal was to transport freed blacks – like those in New Orleans – to Africa, where the U.S. would help them establish a colony. Most balked at the idea, wishing to remain in the United States.

The establishment of this society – which was not actually an abolitionist one, though it was favored by a number of abolitionists – made it easier for Congress to stomach the acceptance of Louisiana as a free state in late 1811, effective January 1, 1812; Congress was conviced that the great number of free blacks in New Orleans and other parts of that state would not be joined by bunches of slaves once freed. The decision was made to place Louisiana’s borders at the Arkansas River, with a line going up from the Gulf of Mexico along the Texas border. That way, there would be fewer Free states to overwhelm the slaveholding ones, a precaution to ensure the Federal government didn’t force an end to slavery.

With young, up and coming leadership like John Quincy Adams, Federalists established goals for 1812 or, if they couldn’t win then, 1816. Among them: Find a candidate more likeable by the people, as Federalists had begun to accept popular voting. Alexander Hamilton, who had still been busy securing victory in 1808, would still be a possibility in 1812, but he and Pinckney both seemed to regional; the Federalists wanted to be seen as a national party.

Among the Democratic-Republicans, Madison stated that, “Eight years is just enough time for a successful man to win re-election and establish a legacy with his policy.” He said that Washington had it right when he stepped down after two terms.

Therefore, James Monroe and William Crawford were favored for 1812, but Andrew Jackson was even a possibility, as he had already begun to develop a key group of supporters. He had also been popular enough after his victory in New Orleans and work elsewhere that he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1811.

Aaron Burr lurked in the shadows. Thanks to his growing popularity, he’d secured a position in the Louisiana legislature as its Speaker of the House. He wielded quite a bit of power and influence there, and would be elected the state’s second governor, taking office in early 1816. He was too busy consolidating things in 1812. Many felt that in 1816, he might stand a chance at the Presidency. However, others felt, correctly, that he was having too much fun in Louisiana, as his beliefs in equality and support for educating women led to very eventful years in that state, and made him seem to an increasing number of people a little too radical. As one U.S. Representative said, “Let him have Louisiana as his personal toy, we shall confine ourselves to more real goals.”

Among other issues which would surface in the 1812 election, the question of statehood still concerned people when it came to the next states to enter the Union.

Debate raged, even with thousands having moved from Louisiana – the border of which was the Mississippi River all the way down – to West Florida. The debate was whether to keep Florida as two states, admitting West Florida first and East Florida when it became more populous. Some argued that it should enter the Union as one, or that the population of West Florida should be added to Mississippi and Alabama, respectively, as they were about to become states in a few years and could really use ports. This would let them become important representatives of the slaveholding class in Congress more quickly, and allow two or three new states to come in rapidly, although it was now pretty much accepted that Free states would always outnumber the slave ones in the Senate – which they would – as Indiana and Illinoi would also be admitted around the time the two Southern ones were.

The debate influenced change in the Democratic-Republicans. D-R members in Northern states disliked the idea of the party being associated too closely with slavery. States’ Rights was a key aspect of their party, but that involved more than slavery, and their party was about more than States’ Rights. It was about small government in general.

This led to indecision in the ranks. Charles Pinckney (cousin of C.C. Pinckney) and William Crawford represented the Southerners, who were more concerned about slavery but also supported universal white male suffrage. Andrew Jackson, who had entered Congress by this time, led a faction which was close to Pinckney’s, but which was expansionist and believed in giving even more power to settlers than Pinckney did. Another, more moderate follower of Jackson was David Crockett still in the state legislature. The Northern D-R supporters were led by several men, with up-and-coming leaders like Martin Van Buren heavily involved with the D-Rs already at age 30, as was Daniel Webster with the Federalists.

Monroe still seemed popular within his own party; but that might mean a Federalist for 1816 even if he were to win in 1812. And, the Federalists seemed much more cohesive, with John Adams pushing his son as the future head of the Party.

Still the stage was set for quite a bit of chaos in the 1812 election. Few predicted, however, that it would go to the House of Representatives.

Meanwhile, in Louisiana and the rest of the American Southwest, decisions were being made which would shape the future of the region, and create a very interesting subplot for the rest of the 1800s. The first had to do with how West Florida would be handled. The second involved Burr’s legacy, and that of his daughter Theodosia.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I remember from one of my timelines learning that Aaron Burr came round to the idea of female suffrage. Might be of use looking into that.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Thanks. thanks; I think I saw that in one of the discussions about him. I may consider that; Louisiana is going to be something of a hotbed of radicalism in some peoples' eyes.

BTW, how many slaves did Theodosia's husband in South Carolina own; doesn't have to be specific, I just don't want to say "hudnreds" when it was thousands or vice versa.

Part 9: The “German Coast War”

If anyone wondered what kind of a ruler Alexander Hamilton would make, they got something of an answer after America’s victory over the Spanish. On the other hand, he had more authority as a military leader than he would have in Washington.

One thing he did was to forbid anyone from entering the territory through New Orleans unless they were “good, solid Christians.” In other words, he would not allow practitioners of voodoo or sorcery to enter from Haiti.(1)

However, at the same time, if free blacks from Haiti professed to be Christians, they were accepted. This caused some friction with the locals, but not an enormous amount. New Orleans had a large number of free blacks even before this. Still, there were some who insisted that nobody from Haiti should be allowed, of any race; there were concerns about Catholicism, too.

Because there had earlier been questions as to what constituted “Louisiana,” the decision to bar slavery in the entirety of the Louisiana Purchase also raised questions. In addition, having slavery on the German Coast, so close to New Orleans, which wouldn’t have slavery, seemed very unwieldy, especially with the Fugitive Slave Act. Hamilton petitioned President Madison to force the German Coast settlers to move further east, along with slaveholders in New Orleans and other parts who had done so in previous years. The owners, for their part, petitioned Madison to allow them to stay just across from New Orleans, arguing that they could be part of a “State of West Florida.”

Complicating matters was the fact that slaves were in a general state of unrest; rumors of their impending freedom had spread during the war, the Spanish had actually lured some away, a few slaveholders had tried to abduct free blacks in New Orleans, and now, the entire situation appeared hopelessly confused.

Thus began what future historians would call the “German Coast War.” It was a bid by land speculators – who were already buying up lots of land west of the Mississippi in Louisianan – to force plantation owners to give up lucrative German Coast lands. At times, they would kidnap and free slaves, though more often than not they would buy them and free them if possible, in an attempt to force the slaveholders to flee with their remaining slaves..

What turned this from a local problem into a full-scale melee – enough for some to call it a “war” - was then the slaves, sometimes in the dozens, suddenly took the side of the land speculators. This, then, caused it to become legendary that the German coast War was a strike against slavery in the United States, though it was really all about property values.(2)

Aaron Burr had been slowly building a political base with the central Louisiana land speculators. Alexander Hamilton and he had served together during the Revolution, and now Hamilton approached him as the “war” grew. He hoped for a sense of rapprochement so he could utilize Burr’s growing political capital to bring an end to the mess. In return, he promised Burr that he would stay out of Louisiana politics; indeed, he was far more interested in returning to New York as quickly as possible, and to secure a seat in the Senate or at least the House of Representatives; it was a little too late for him to seek the Governorship this year.

The meeting between Burr and Hamilton was less than civil at first, partly because Burr’s daughter was married to one of the largest landholders in South Carolina.

Hamilton, for his part, pointed out that he’d never been the staunch advocate of abolition that men like Timothy Pickering were. He did, however, greatly wish to limit slavery’s expansion; and felt that the German Coast should be freed of slaves. He noted also that it would be a logistical nightmare if New Orleans’ free blacks – who he reminded Burr could be among his constituents – had to consistently do business in the port with slaves from across the river and, worse yet, be forced to obey the Fugitive Slave laws or even face abduction themselves by slaveholders who didn’t care who they grabbed. It was better, Hamilton argued, to push the border of West Florida further east.

Burr saw in this a way to please the land speculators and ensure their support, if he could get even a little of this area carved off. Since he was often worried about having enough money – hence his daughter Theodosia’s marriage to said South Carolina landholder – this would help to ensure his success. He told Hamilton he could support rights for New Orleans’ free blacks, but that Hamilton had to promise in return to support efforts toward helping the education of women. He reminded Hamilton how he had provided for Theodosia’s education in many subjects, and stated his belief that women could learn just as easily as men.

Hamilton realized that Burr was totally devoted to Theodosia. He decided to look into it, and promised to write to Theodosia pledging his support. When Theodosia took a ship up to New York to meet with Hamilton at Elmira, in fact, she would take her son with her, thus sparing him from possibly dying of a fever which broke out where they lived.

Meanwhile, as 1811 wore on, the “war” between the territories died down, and a compromise was reached. Louisiana’s free blacks would not be allowed into Mississippi or West Florida without some sort of passport, which whites would not be required to carry. A “consulate” would be set up to deal fairly with said free blacks; it was often joked that Louisiana was the only state with an ambassador in another state. (The extreme States’ Righters loved this as hearkening back to the old Articles of Confederation when they were much moer a confederation of states than they were a single unified nation.) Eventually, the practice would catch on elsewhere where free states bordered salve ones. Said ambassador would assist any blacks who had troubles, and the bordering states would treat them as fairly as possible (or so they promised anyway).) In return, Louisiana would support enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act (though in practice all knew it wasn’t always enforced), and the state’s free blacks would not be expected to enforce it.

A sliver of land was given to Louisiana, such that Lake Ponchartrain – really an estuary – would be split between the two, and Louisiana’s border would also give it a majority of the land around antoher lake just west of there. The border would go north a little, straight east until a bend in the Mississippi River north of Baton Rouge where the river goes east for a short distance, where New Roads, Louisiana is. This let the Acadian area around baton Rouge remain in the state of Louisiana. Most Creoles who were east of the Mississippi moved west, where the majority had been anyway.

Burr felt glad to have kept the Acadians, since he was starting to dream of a truly diverse area. In fact, not only did he hope that he could allow the free blacks, Cajuns, and others to co-exist and be part of governing along with the whites, he had even begun to consider the possibility that women might be allowed to vote in the new state.

As if that wasn’t enough to make Louisiana seem like a hotbed of radicalism to those in the 1810s, when Theodosia’s husband died, something else Hamilton planted in her and her son’s mind would also remain with her; the possibility of racial equality. This would cause quite a stir back in South Carolina.

------------------------------------

(1) This seems to be in keeping with Hamilton’s use of Christianity for political ends as much as for his belief in a Christian nation (hence his 1802 OTL suggestion of a Christian Constitution Society). By keeping non-Christians out, it would also please those Frenchmen who were still there. Indeed, Burr might be just as much in favor of it for his own political ends. As to how they felt about Catholics, I’m not sure, but that is beyond the scope of the TL, anyway.

(2) A large slave revolt also occurred in OTL at this time in that region. That also happens here thanks to that war and rumors of freedom. Needless to say, the actions of the land speculators and presence of many free blacks across the River add to the chaos..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, things continue to get interesting for America. Louisiana will be a unique place to live. However, first, before we get into Theodosia's personal life, the Election of 1812 awaits tomorrow. And, it's going to be very close.

The Constitution Works - part 1 of 2

I can't help it, this part's so exciting and it's fun to have a cliffhanger here, too, for a day or so. Plus, these updates won't come all that fast after a while, as I'll be to where I stopped, though I do have ideas for the future a little ways.

Though, Europe will see a few quickies, but not as much. Anyway...

Part 10: “The Constitution Works” – The Election of 1812 – part 1

James Madison had served his two terms. The Federalists, as noted, were trying to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and become important again, without all the infighting that characterized them in ’04; infighting which died down in 1808 partly because Hamilton was still off cleaning up the last bastions of Spanish resistance.

Madison faced opposition, however. While he’d chosen not to renew the National Bank, he faced numerous detractors who claimed that he had already gone too far toward the Federalists. Chief among these were Thomas Randolph of Roanoke and James Monroe. It was said that “Randolph provided the rhetoric and Monroe provided the action.”

Madison had employed Monroe as Secretary of State, and he’d done a very good job. Madison felt Monroe would make a decent President – but he also had a Northerner who seemed just as able to win votes.

The man’s name was DeWitt Clinton. A Senator for a short time and Mayor of New York City, he’d done excellent work on the local level, including beginning the push to build the Erie Canal. However, he believed that the Federal Government should merely help guide the states, rather than controlling everything itself. Clinton, only 43, spoke of plans to settle the Louisiana Territory with the backing of the Federal government through construction of industrializing.

This was too much for the Monroe supporters, who didn’t believe that government should have any role in “guiding” the states. Randolph noted that, “One moment they may be guiding, the next they will be ordering.” Randolph declared that even Jefferson had abandoned traditional principles and sponsored some expansion of government.

Randolph also accused Clinton of being willing to rig votes because of statements made by his uncle, George Clinton. DeWitt Clinton replied famously and diplomatically that, “In his zeal to protect the rights of all citizens, my uncle may have implied things that, in hindsight, did not accurately reflect his beliefs. However, this is a problem shared with all good supporters of their country, that being a great zeal to protect our freedom from forces which would destroy it…. I certainly would never accept such a plan, nor would anyone who would rig elections be allowed in my administration. I do not believe that my uncle believed in it either, though.” He went on to point out that he had actually defeated an opponent connected with what would be Tammany Hall; Tammany Hall already seemed corrupt.

Monroe, for his part, was the voice of a group known as the “quids,” who supported less government. While few were satisfactory enough for Randolph, Monroe was seen as the least painful choice. Indeed, he’d been supported by a number of D-Rs in 1804, though Madison wound up winning out.

When Clinton dithered on opposition to a National Bank, he asked soon to be retiring North Carolina Senator Jesse Franklin if he would be his Vice President. Franklin was well known for his opposition to such a bank. He was also from the South, and had been born in Virginia. Clinton felt this would ensure Madison’s support.

It drew Jefferson’s, but Randolph urged Monroe to run – heavily in debt all his life, Monroe decided there wasn’t much harm if he ran, especially with Andrew Jackson pushing for him. Jackson announced that if Monroe didn’t run, he would – and he said he might anyway, what with no candidate seeming to be a clear supporter of Western farmers and settlers. Jackson had been making noise about it since re-entering Congress in 1811.

One would think that such division would ensure a Federalist victory, but it didn’t.

John Quincy Adams had risen to prominence in a number of areas, and he spoke of trying to negotiate a treaty to extend America to the West Coast – either with Britain or with the rebelling Mexicans. This drew the support of Hamilton, who wanted to expand the nation even more, and ws intended to draw potential supporters away from him, as he wouldn’t mind doing it by military means, whereas Adams chose moer peaceful ones. After all, his dad had purchased Louisiana less than a decade ago..

However, as 1811 wore into 1812, little else about Adams enthused Hamilton, who called Adams, “Just a warmed over copy of his dad, without the luster of having actually done anything to ensure our Independence.” Hamilton was a war hero, and Jackson’s words had emboldened him to seek election himself. However, Jackson was more well-known after the discovery that Wilkinson was a traitor. The duel had become famous in American lore.

As 1812 wore on, it appeared that there could be 5 or even 6 candidates – Charles C. Pinckney was still thinking of running, though he realized that by now his chances were very slim.

Eventually, C.C. Pinckney threw his support behind Hamilton, which helped ensure that Hamilton would be on the ballot in Southern states, as well as all the Northern ones. John Quincy Adams, meanwhile, was pushed by his father, as he feared that a D-R split would give the election to Hamilton.

It wasn’t likely, of course, as Clinton himself was favored by some Federalists. However, that caused the Quids to push Monroe onto the ballot, for the main reason, as one supporter said, “He’s not Jackson. Jackson may support the yeoman farmers, but his support is more along the lines of anarchy. And, Clinton is worse than Jefferson or Madison.”

Adams, on the other hand, was moderate enough that some said he was close to a D-R. Hence, Hamilton constantly tried to link them and proclaimed himself as, “The only candidate whose values are certain.” Indeed, extreme Federalists and Democrats each seemed terrifying enough to the center that supporters of Adams and Clinton asked them on more than one occasion if they wouldn’t rather team up. They were unwilling – Adams felt pushed by his father and those who felt he had to overcome Hamilton, while Clinton felt pushed by the Madison wing of the D-Rs.

Jackson especially caused Clinton to remain in the race. He decided he had enough popularity that he would try. Pressure from the Creek Indians was making him seem viable. His, “take all the land” talk was much more appealing to some voters than Monroe’s attempts to peacefully co-exist with the Indians, what with the 1804 law setting the Ohio and Mississippi as boundaries for slavery. Yes, Florida had been obtained, but it wasn’t easy to live there. Indeed, some were suggesting that the Indians be sent down there, all jammed into one state. Jackson was amenable to this, which helped him – especially in Georgia. On the other hand, some D-R party members – even the ones supported very limited local government – were adamantly opposed to seeing Jackson win. (Although Randolph was warming to him.)

The campaign could only be described as “wild and crazy,” once all five candidates decided they were running. Newspapers as early as August predicted that, in the words of one New York Times editorial, “Our new Constitution will be tested, as it is very likely that this election will end up in the hands of Congress… Whether this will be better for one candidate or the other is uncertain, but it appears that – in a case such as this – it might have been better had the old method, abandoned after 1796, been used, that being that the first place finisher would be President and second Vice-President… However, a tie would dreadfully complicate things with such a system, especially with such diametrically opposed candidates in some areas. So, perhaps it is best that it is the way it is. However, we must hope that they can determine a winner in all of this confusion before March 4, 1813.”

Jackson didn’t seem to have a great chance, but the dramatic New Madrid Quake had some Indians in an uproar, with the increasingly encroaching settlers. The Red Sticks, as they were called, a group of Creeks, were especially adamant about keeping people out; a problem considering that their territory comprised much of Alabama Territory. As they became more agitated, Jackson’s popularity in Georgia increased, and Monroe’s declined. Some worried that Jackson might come in as high as third, allowing him to make deals with the other candidates if it got to the House.

Hamilton knew he had little chance, with Clinton also being from New York. However, he remained in the race to try and force the moderate John Quincy Adams to make concessions. Monroe had more hopes of winning, but Jackson was playing spoiler, and Clinton was at least somewhat popular in the South, so it would be a tough sell.

As November of 1812 approached, the editorials of late summer concerning the House appeared more and more prophetic every day.

The Constitution Works - 2 of 2

Part 11: “The Constitution Works” – The Election of 1812 – part 2 of 2

A Europe with its own problems watched with amusement. In the end, the following candidates gained the following states, with Pennsylvania greatly conflicted for a few weeks: This conflict would eventually confuse things much more than they might have been.

Adams: Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont
Clinton: Maryland (7), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio
Monroe: Kentucky, Louisiana (1), Maryland (4), South Carolina, Virginia
Jackson: Georgia, Louisiana (2), Tennessee
Hamilton: Delaware

Hamilton hadn’t played spoiler – Adams’ presence had kept him from wining a few states that he might have, though even without the confusion of Pennsylvania it’s unlikely he would have risen to third. However, it’s possible that he prevented Adams from winning Pennsylvania, as he was a close third, though this is doubtful since Hamilton won few votes there. The presence of Monroe and (to a small extent) Jackson caused North Carolina to go to Adams instead of Clinton, though it could as easily be said that Clinton’s presence kept Monroe from getting enough upport.

Jackson’s popularity and Indian problems gained him Georgia in a tense fight with Monroe, whom he angrily dubbed a “compromiser who would paint the country red.” One scribe during the campaign noted that, “Between Jackson and Hamilton, their words are so sharp that if they should ever face each other, they might well end up dueling with their writing implements.”

Meanwhile, Jackson’s friends gained him Tennessee and two of Louisiana’s 3 electoral votes, but Hamilton’s presence as a war hero, some said, cost Jackson Kentucky; of course, Henry Clay had worked so tirelessly for John Quincy Adams that *he* almost won Kentucky; he came in a close third, with Jackson second.

The race in Kentucky had been intense, but that was nothing compared to the bitter contest surrounding Pennsylvania. Before Pennsylvania was settled, the electoral vote count read:
Clinton: 59
Adams: 58
Monroe: 41
Jackson: 18
Hamilton: 4

Madison was concerned. However, as he confided in a letter to Jefferson, “Regardless of who wins Pennsylvania’s 25 electoral votes, or if they decide to split them, we can say with certainty that this election is going to the House of Representatives, as has been expected for some time. Furthermore, we can see that the fringe candidates have been eliminated, as only the top three will be involved in the race; the real suspense is in Pennsylvania because what they do shall decide who the top two are for Vice President. It is almost frightful in some ways, but I believe that, when all is said and done, we shall have a clear President on March 4, 1813, and the nation will be stronger for having weather this unexpected turn of events.”

Pennsylvania might have gone for Monroe, but there were enough Jackson voters to siphon off support and eventually give the state to Clinton, although Adams had done decently there:
Clinton: 84
Adams: 58
Monroe: 41
Jackson: 18
Hamilton: 4

Though some expected Monroe to shift his support to Clinton, that didn’t happen, due to Clinton being part of more moderate win of the D-R. Instead, he drew support from Jackson, who asked his states to vote for Monroe in exchange for concessions regarding the poor farmers and settlers of the West. Monroe normally might not have done so – he and Jackson differed greatly on Indian policy. However, he wanted to be President, and felt Clinton would compromise too much in other areas regarding the central government; Monroe was the only candidate remaining who would keep it small, though Clinton seemed better than Adams..

The first ballot saw Maryland and Delaware abstaining, since the former was split and Hamilton wanted to use his state’s vote to play kingmaker. So, Monroe had 6 votes, and the others had 5, despite Monroe being the third place electoral vote getter. The situation continued through a couple more ballots.

Word got out, though, that Maryland was going to go for Monroe on the next ballot. Whether it was true is uncertain; it might not have been. It was here representatives from Adams approached Clinton’s people, and discussed the situation.

Adams’ people could stand Monroe, but they couldn’t stand Jackson – they worried that the deals Monroe might be making with him were underhanded and possibly not for the good of the nation. Adams and Clinton were rather centrist on a number of issues. They both wanted to keep Jackson away from things – even if he wouldn’t say it, they were sure Jefferson was worried about the tyranny of military leaders. Adams knew his dad sure was.

Clinton, for his part, was more concerned about the popular vote; he truly believed the Democratic-Republicans were more popular. He refused to back down because of this – however, if Adams was willing to accept a post like Secretary of State, he would be amenable to accepting the Federalist position on some issues.

Adams disliked that notion. He’d been in government longer, with his dad’s tenure in the Senate – albeit for two years – giving his son more favor to enter that realm.

Then, Hamilton began to work. He was horrified at the idea of Jackson having any say in the government, and even disliked Monroe. When reminded later of his hostility toward John Adams, Hamilton is reported to have said, “I’d have even supported Jefferson over some men.” This, however, is apocryphal.(1)

This made Maryland waver – Would they support Monroe or Clinton? They abstained again, making it Adams 6, Monroe 6, Clinton 5. Monroe could see his support slipping a little, given the fact he thought he might have 7 vote next time.

At this time, Jesse Franklin – Clinton’s choice for V.P. – and Jared Ingersoll – Adams’ choice – battled in the Senate. There were whispers that this would determine who became President, although truthfully, Clinton would have been happy with either man. Adams preferred Ingersoll, but would settle for Franklin, whose state, North Carolina, Adams ironically won, thanks to Monroe and Jackson siphoning off votes from Clinton. Adams is quoted as saying, “My father almost had to deal with Jefferson as his Vice President. I can certainly stomach Mr. Franklin, who by all accounts is an excellent leader, with the bank being our only major division.”

Jesse Franklin won on the first ballot, as by this time the D-Rs had a clear majority.

Yes, there was that bank. Monroe believed in small government, but also had begun to think that it might be helpful. Besides, there was a D-R- in the Vice President’s seat now. Not only that, but he was the third place electoral vote getter, and recognized that his place was probably to help engineer things rather than want he top spot; although as a compromise choice he might have accepted it.

When new Congress member Daniel Webster convinced his fellow New Hampshire delegates to move to Adams’ camp, the next ballot read Adams 7, Moonroe 6, and Clinton 4. Clinton had been bargaining with Adams, and Monroe felt he should do the same now, before he lost any chance at doing so.

The next ballot saw John Quincy Adams chosen by the House as the nation’s fifth President.

Far from a dirty compromise, this had been a move engineered by all parties. Each had gained something in the process. The only unhappy one was Jackson, who – as John Quincy Adams put it – “became my Jefferson, a man who consistently had cross words with me as Jefferson did my father when it came to politics. Unfortunately, we did not have the friendship built up to where we could have any sort of meaningful relationship.”

Monroe believed he could win someday, if not in 1816 in 1820 or 1824 - he would be only a year older in ‘24 than John Adams when he’d won in 1800. As it stood now, he could simply return to Virginia, where he would win the next election for governor.

Adams, meanwhile, was also friendly toward DeWitt Clinton, as he had been with Monroe. He told Clinton, “Your Vice President will serve your interests quite well. While I understand that you would prefer to be President, were it not for a few hundred votes, I might have captured Pennsylvania myself.” Adams had been a very close third. “Not only this, but I promise not only to support the Erie Canal, but also to encourage any other programs you may wish. Your chance will come soon enough, as you will barely be over 50 in 1820. Why, you could run in 1832 or even 1836!”

Of course, he didn’t know DeWitt Clinton would be dead by then.

Adams would also keep contact with Aaron Burr, who had thoughts on integrating the Indians into American culture. Monroe was similarly disposed, feeling that, in Monroe’s words, “They must move from the hunter-gatherer mode to the point where they maintain solid agricultural communities.” Perhaps he could provide Burr some help.

Jackson, meanwhile, began to round up all of Monroe’s supporters. He declared that he would be the new leader of what he now called the Democratic Party, and started to form it into a politically cohesive unit. Conflict with natives stalled him at times,t hough.

Hamilton was dismayed. He’d hoped that, in a divided election, he could play kingmaker. His strategy had been thwarted for two reasons. First, Jackson had been the more widely known war hero. Second, many felt he’d already expended all his political capital in 1800 and 1804, though he’d had at least a little. Finally, he was far too stringent in his support of a very strong central government. His only consolation in that was that John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were probably upset that their party’s candidates had negotiated with each other. Although, in actuality, they were glad that at least the most radical on each side had been kept at bay.

Hamilton would simply have to be satisfied with promulgating his political views and trying to mend fences further with people like Burr, as noted above.

One scribe noted that the nation had, “Bounced back and forth between Democrat-Republican and Federalist, each time landing somewhere in the middle, not onl either side of the fence. Perhaps this is only fitting, as our nation settles down and her traditions become firmly rooted, that we will not waver to and fro with every doctrine, but soon we will enter an era when such ideologies don’t matter, and we shall simly be content to grow into the great nation we can be.”

There would be more wobbling – as one historian later put it, “This scribe was partly right, except the jockeying back and forth kept happening with the bar a little more toward the rights of every citizen, toward the progressive.”

For now, after the many ballots, soon before the inauguration, a weary President Madison summed it up. Madison, very relieved to be leaving office, replied, “We faced a great challenge. And, we discovered that the Constitution works. It is my great hope that this document will continue to serve us well for many years, as it did in this election.”

(1) A tidbit to help keep readers cognizant of OTL, when he did support Jefferson over Burr. Here, it’s more plausible that he’d support an Adams than Jefferson. However, people from the ATL might still see it a little odd; and would certainly see Jefferson as really implausible, not having the OTL knowledge of what happened in 1800.

---------------------

Note; I was so torn here that I wrote up 2, one with Clinton and one with Adams ending up the victory. I finally chose Adams becasue, first, I suspect that Hamilton would throw support behind him firt, and second, he does have more government experiernce in this TL, partly thanks to his dad. Plus, Clinton would figure he has lots of time - he wouldn't turn 50 till half-way through a second term.

Now I will be busier and updates will be at least a day apart, but i wanted to get this started. And, sorry, no Europe yet, but the cliffhanger is getting very close to being resolved. Well, maybe resolved isn't the right word...;)