Vandalia: A Barbarian Barbary

Status
Not open for further replies.
VANDALIA: A Barbarian Barbary
By Errnge

Introduction:
Welcome to Vandalia

43919-004-C2003E00.jpg

Faban gawked as he followed the clearly scripted tour-guide through the grand city of Iporeguia. It reminded him of Konstantinopolis, only… only weirder (for lack of a better word). The city had all the ancient majesty of Konstantinopolis, but the way the building stood like giant drip-castles capped in gold, the way the stone-paved streets shone a dazzling white when the sun hit them the right way… What the travel books said were true; No place was quite like the capital of Vandalia.

“The Kingdom of Vandalia is one of the oldest nation-states in existence. The Kingdom has claims ancient origins, dating back to the days of King Gaiseric, an age of fire and blood with the last gasping breaths of the Western Roman Empire,” The tour guide said in accented Seaxinsk as she led Faban through what was called “The Old City” called so because it was the ancient district of the city, where tearing down and building structures had been forbidden. “However the modern Kingdom of Vandalia does not hold direct line from this ancient kingdom, but was instead founded in 798 A.D.”

Faban felt like an ant in the crowds. There were so many people walking the streets, probably for much the same reason as he: tourism. He hated that he was just another one of them, but he felt it was an easy price to pay to walk through this ancient city. It was evening, and the day was finally cooling, making it the best time to walk through the city.

“Vandalia, or Bhandulia as it is called Vandalian, is a land whose history is written in ancient blood and constant warfare. The many cultures, religions, and ethnic groups of North Africa, like the innumerable strings in a marvelous tapestry, wound together in almost constant conflict to forge the long and intense history of this nation.”

“I wonder how long it took her to memorize all this,” Faban muttered. He heard a soft giggle next to him. Drawn momentarily from his awstrickenness, Faban found himself gawking once more at the most beautiful woman he had ever seen walking next to him. He long black hair fell like night down to her back, and her eyes, an uncannily striking green, contrasted perfectly with her brown skin.

“I imagine it took her quite a long time,” she said with a silky Persian accent. “She doesn’t sound like she actually knows what she is saying, but is just repeating noises like a parrot.”

Faban smiled, and took a deep gulp. The warm wind blew her hair into his face, and for a moment, he felt like he had fallen under a spell. Her smell was intoxicating.

“Modern Vandalian, or Bhandulaza, is perhaps one of the most unique of the Romance languages, with influence from Mauritanian and Numidian, ancient Punic, ancient Vandalic and Alanic all thrown over the Latin base, like exotic spices cast upon a meal.” The tour guide continued to prattle.

“My name is Arezoo,” she said.

“Desire,” Faban whispered.

“Pardon?” Arezoo laughed a laugh that sounded like dark red whine.

“Your name,” Faban said, flustered. “It means desire in Seaxinsk. I’m Faban Beogar.”

“Well, I am pleased to meet you, Faban,” Arezoo said as they shook hands.

“Are you here studying?”

“Yes, I am,” Arezoo said, “And you?”

“I am too,” Faban felt his heart pounding like a hammer in his chest. “On an exchange program.”

“The Vandalian capital of Iporeguia is one of the largest cities in the continent of Africa.”

“Well hopefully—ah!” Arezoo tripped on a rock, falling like a night-hawk toward the earth. Faban caught her, but tripped himself in the process. Faban hit the ground, but managed to break Arezoo’s fall. The crowd quickly parted for them, and made movement to help them. With Arezoo laying on top of him, she said, “Well hopefully we will be seeing much of each other.”

Prologue: Age of Fire and Blood
Part One: Origins of the Vandals

barbarian_warrior.jpg

The Germanic tribal confederation later known to the world as the Vandals first entered historical records during the Marcommanic Wars, when one of the two Vandal tribes, the Hasdingi, under the leadership of their kings Rhaus and Raptus made an excursion into the lower Danube against the Romans. Emperor Aurelian, in 271 had to defend the Danube again from them. After rebuffing them, the Hasdingi settled in Dacia and Pannonia, like many other Germanic groups to come. And other Germanic tribes would prove to be the greatest trial for the Hasdingi Vandals throughout their history.

The Hasdingi proved to be in a precarious position, as they were surrounded by other, larger Germanic tribes. The Gothic historian Jordanes said of the Hasdingi’s geographic location:

“On the east Goths, on the west Marcomanni, on the north the Hermanduri, on the south the Hister (Danube).”

At the beginning of the 4th century A.D. the Hasdingi were ousted from Dacia by the Gothic king Geberic. In this outburst of violence, the Hasdingi king Visimar was slain. The Hasdingi were forced to move to Pannonia, where they settled for sixty yearts after Constantine the Great Granted them lands on the right side of the Danube bank.

During this time, the Vandals converted to Christianity. The majority of Vandals accepted Arian Christianity (and so rejecting Trinitarian Christianity), similar to the Goths.

One famous Hasdingi Vandal from this time period was the Roman Consul Flavius Stilicho, who rose to great prominence during the reign of Emperor Valens, and became the great adversary of King Alaric of the Visigoths.

In 401, the Vandals began to migrate westward in the wake of Hunnish expansion. Under King Godigisel, they raided the Roman province of Rhaetia that winter. The Hasdingi Vandals, now accompanied by their brethren Vandal tribe, the Silingi, who had previously settled in Magna Germania, continued to press westward along the Danube, joining forces with the Suebi and the Alans, until finally they reached the east bank of the Rhine. There, they met the stiff resistance from the Franks.

0708BK1.jpg

The Franks, a Germanic confederation and staunch ally to the Roman Empire controlled the Rhine and Northern Gaul. A massive battle followed, in which the Vandal king Godigisel himself was killed. Records say that twenty thousand Vandals fell beneath the Frankish sword, but with the help of the Alans, great cavalrymen of the steppe, the Vandals were able to achieve victory.

On December 31, 406 A.D. the Vandals, under their new king, Godigesel’s eldest son, Gunderic, they crossed the frozen Rhine, and plundered and ravaged their way through Gaul. In 409, they crossed the Pyrenees, and settled in Iberia. The Hasdingi received lands from the Romans in Gallaecia (which they were forced to split with the Suebi), and the Silingi in Baetica as foederati. The Alans were granted Lusitania and the areas around Carthago Nova.

In 418, the Visigoths under King Wallia invaded Iberia, killing the Alan king Attaces in a crushing battle. The Alans, leaderless, asked King Gunderic to take up the Alan crown, becoming the first of many Kings of the Vandals and the Alans. The Visigoths were later withdrawn from Iberia, and given lands in Septimania, and Iberia was left to the previous barbarians… for now.

It came out of an interesting AHC. I plan on this being similarly set up as my other TL, with a prologue to give background information before I lay out the POD.

Hope y'all enjoy :)

It came out of an interesting AHC. I plan on this being similarly set up as my other TL, with a prologue to give background information before I lay out the POD.

Hope y'all enjoy :)

Yes, some may say the greatest AHC of all time... Just kidding, enjoying it so far.

One question- why isn't Carthage the capital? It was a more prestigious and better located city, right at the heart of the Mediterranean, with access to more trade. And it had a great harbor. And the Vandals made it their capital OTL.

Otherwise, a wonderful story and premise.

One question- why isn't Carthage the capital? It was a more prestigious and better located city, right at the heart of the Mediterranean, with access to more trade. And it had a great harbor. And the Vandals made it their capital OTL.

I assumed it had been renamed.

They will have Carthage become their capital as per OTL for a time, but, well, things happen, and they put the capital back at Hippo Regius later. I don't want to give anything away, but even the Roman Empire moved its capital from Rome to Milan to Constantinople

And yes, spoiler, Iporeguia is Hippo Regius

Great start and an extremely interesting subject. Subscribed.

Edit: Can I get a link to that AHC, you're all talking about ?

Last edited:
Very nice stuff so far, consider me subscribed :) A couple of questions, if I may;

1) Seaxinsk? :confused: I'm guessing a Frisian/Old English-analogue or something?
2) What would you say the religious makeup of Vandalia would be by modern day? Ignore if spoilers abound :p
3) Finally, what will the geographic (how big) and demographic (how crowded) scope of this place be, anyway?

Here's looking forward to more!

Looks very well, I must agree. But does this mean that the weighed scales go on hold?

oh hell no, I plan on updating that later this weekend! Just a side project for fun :)

As for the questions addressed by Fleetmac:

yes, it's an English analogue with more Germanic overtones. The name is derived from Saxon as opposed to Angle/Engle.

Don't want to spoil.

Modern Vandalia would probably span modern day OTL Tunisia, western Libya, Northern Algeria, and Morocco. I'm unsure how much they'd expand into the Sahara. The city would be extremely crowded, think Rome during tourist season

Status
Not open for further replies.