The Unwanted Clairvoyant. A different French strategy in WW1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah i totally agree, this map is totally unrealisitc.

After all it show the French war objective during the first world war in 1915(OTL), this kind of plan never survives to the reality and conferences of peace, but it can serve as
a rough draft before negotiating and it show what kind of world want the french after the war, so it's for that i thought it was interesting to show you this map.

Well I don't think this map was ever Entente's war goals. Just Action Française fantasy. Written wargoals on the page are more serious and accurate.

Most ambitious Russian demands that were ever consider involved annexing entire Prussia up to Vistula, but idea never gained serious pull. Something similar to OTL interbellum Polish-German border but without corridor was more seriously discussed proposal. Doable long-term if Poland got similar deal as Finland. In any case, I don't think Poles could resist anything victorious Russians would realistically impose on them after bearing heaviest brunt devastation from war in the east.

Armenia might look problematic occupation size, but if everone got a slice of Turkey, everyone would have vested interest in keeping them down. Plus, after interrupted Armenian genocide, Turks and Kurds would probably be expelled, and Armenians and Greeks would probably form majority there, and neither would have stomachs for any sort of resistance at least for two decade.

Last edited:
There are similarly "optimistic" maps drawn from a German perspective in 1915 that I recall finding on various Google adventures.

I suspect a lot of the map painting is an early effort to translate the unexpected large price in blood both sides had "paid" into an "appropriate" value in terra firma. Jingoistic optimism having not yet fully surrendered to grim reality.

Rather optimistic if not greedy goals back then. But with a France clearly having the upper hand on the Western Front and a Belgium having an army almost greater than the BEF (for the moment), it wouldn't impossible that their demands might be rather hard to swallow for the Reich... and Britain. And Russia... good luck with your new minorities if you gain theses territories. Same for Serbia btw...

Yeah. You can really feel the Action Française salivating when enunciating such plans. Which, considering that source, cannot have been policy.

Monsieur de Bueil I do understand how difficult real life is, but I hope this timeline is still alive

Oh, you're not the only one with that hope.
;)
Fear not. The TL is NOT dead.
It's just that I'm really busy: new job, new house, new town, not including all the administrative paperwork. The idea for the beginning of 1915 (when I say beginning, I say up to June 1915), are here, the material and knowledge (through downloaded articles and books) too. It's just that I must find the time to write them. And of course, between my job (redacting philatelic catalogues at Yvert & Tellier) and new video games/TV shows (Tomb Raider reboot, I hate you so much) and other social activities, I discovered with some horror that days only had 24 hours ;).
Plus I go to bed really early: I'm a true marmot. Without 9 hours of sleep every night, I turn into a mean sloth.

I know you have a IRL that take lots of time (i know about that too) but just wanted to assure you that I LOVE your TL
Sending a lot of positive energy your way
Vive la France !
Allez les bleus !

I know you have a IRL that take lots of time (i know about that too) but just wanted to assure you that I LOVE your TL
Sending a lot of positive energy your way
Vive la France !
Allez les bleus !
Thanks a lot. :)

I wish to say that my relative absence on this forum (I mean writing posts and updates, I still follow some TLs) was lately mainly due to a state of "distress" (I prefer to use this word instead of another) which nearly stroke me down one year ago (I mentionned it on a past TL) and which came back these past few months and left me almost empty, with a desire for nothing. I'm currently on my way to recovery but it remains slow and sometimes hard. This hard RL plus my new job, home etc led to this result. I do intend to resume writing but for now, I have difficulties to put my ideas on paper (for example, I know exactly what to write here but when I try, I stop myself). So yes, still not ready but definitively eager to go on.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
No worries. Sometimes Real Life takes precendence. I think we all hope that you can find some peace and that is the more important thing.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Write for your own enjoyment. If you don't find it fun anymore, or if other matters take priority, then put it away until you feel like starting again. I echo the thoughts of Driftless having been down a similar route once or twice.

Ramontxo

Donor
You have provided a lot of enjoyment, information and pleasure to me (and I am sure a lot others). Take your time, recover and if you return to this (or any other one) time line do it as and when you can.

Last edited:
Just had a thought after a reread. France develops an interest in light automatic weaponry very early on ITTL.
I'm thinking maybe the French start developing a Submachinegun. The German MP18 was designed in 1916,
but I think the French will want to keep their edge on automatic weaponry.

You confuse me with your word

I'm not gonna jump on you for getting my hopes up that something had happened on this thread, but I would enquire as to your meaning. This is a great timeline, and I'd be happy to chat about it, but I don't understand you presently.

The 4 or 5 Normandie were under construction OTL , there was to be 1 year of work left for the first, the combats being different, the construction can be finished, perhaps for 2 or 3 of the class, the studies of the Lyon class are continue, we could then imagine some ships under construction around 1918?

The 4 or 5 Normandie were under construction OTL , there was to be 1 year of work left for the first, the combats being different, the construction can be finished, perhaps for 2 or 3 of the class, the studies of the Lyon class are continue, we could then imagine some ships under construction around 1918?
You need to stop bumping old threads. This is good information but there’s no need to restart the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.