Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So I just started playing this game. I've been a Total War player for many years, so it's a very different pace. It seems very very weird that you have to have an official reason to go to war no matter what for instance.

I'm frankly still not sure what I'm doing though I've been watching some youtube tutorials to try and get a handle on what there is actually to do in the game.

No one understands what they are doing at first.
It probably isn't until the next week that you get a grasp on it.
I've had this game since it came out like a year and a half ago and I am still finding out about things I did not know about.

Would you believe, for example, that despite my thinking I was "pretty good" at this game around a few months ago, it was only then that I found out that I could use offer vassalization after becoming a kingdom to rapidly expand?

In fairness, that was my fault. I mostly started off as a vassal rather than an independent ruler, and vassals can't use offer vassalization, which clouded my perception.

Krall

Banned
I didn't have any real idea what I was doing at first either. I barely understand how to properly manage my dynasty in terms of breeding/eugenics and alliance marriages and I still managed to conquer half the Mediterranean, so you don't need to know everything for the game to be fun. :)

Would you believe, for example, that despite my thinking I was "pretty good" at this game around a few months ago, it was only then that I found out that I could use offer vassalization after becoming a kingdom to rapidly expand?

In fairness, that was my fault. I mostly started off as a vassal rather than an independent ruler, and vassals can't use offer vassalization, which clouded my perception.

The problem with offering vassalisation is that it's almost impossible to get the other person to accept unless you're powerful, their de jure liege, and two steps above them in the noble hierarchy (so Kings can't usually vassalise Dukes, and Emperors can't usually vassalise Kings). If there are just a few independent counties that are within your de jure realm then it can be useful, but it's otherwise nearly impossible, I find.

So I just started playing this game. I've been a Total War player for many years, so it's a very different pace. It seems very very weird that you have to have an official reason to go to war no matter what for instance.

I'm frankly still not sure what I'm doing though I've been watching some youtube tutorials to try and get a handle on what there is actually to do in the game.

This game is so different compared to Total War. Sometimes it does get frustrating when you can't get CB to go to war.

Best advice I can give is to breed correctly and keep your dynasty in tip top shape.

In regards to Elder Kings, anyone finding it difficult to get different forms of CB to attack other countries? Seems like the only one that I get decent traction on (Besides at the start of the game 'conquest') is fabricating claims. It is very slow going trying to conquer out of Morrowind.

The problem with offering vassalisation is that it's almost impossible to get the other person to accept unless you're powerful, their de jure liege, and two steps above them in the noble hierarchy (so Kings can't usually vassalise Dukes, and Emperors can't usually vassalise Kings). If there are just a few independent counties that are within your de jure realm then it can be useful, but it's otherwise nearly impossible, I find.

There are certain cases where that is quite, quite useful, though. This pops up most often in "shattered world" games, like Lux Invicta, where everyone starts out as a one-county count, or near enough as to make no difference; when you claw your way up to the Kingdom level, you basically can offer vassalizations to all your neighbors, and sometimes double your territory. It's really more of a one-time use thing, rather than something you would use continually. Which makes sense; you crown yourself king, now you send ravens to everyone to the effect of "Everyone come pay homage to me; Offer available for a limited time only!"

>.<, you know you play too much CK2 when you send an email to your professor about arranging a session to discuss placement testing, and realize about five seconds too late that you typed in succession instead of session.

>.<, you know you play too much CK2 when you send an email to your professor about arranging a session to discuss placement testing, and realize about five seconds too late that you typed in succession instead of session.

All the best CK2 players arrange the succession through placement testing of a sort. The surviving non-bishop gets crowned. ;)

HellHound01

Banned
Something I would love to see in the Game of Thrones Mod, more activity from Religions.

For Example:

I was playing Aegon in the Conquest scenario. The 7 Kingdoms fell before me, and I refused to convert to the Faith of the 7.

You would think this would spark religious resistance right? No, nothing happened. The High Septon sat in his tower and fumed.

Fast forward a few years, and finally he declares war on me. He has around 4,800 men from the Poor Fellows and Warriors Sons (which are now Lords for some damn reason instead of religious orders), and a company of sell swords.

He was crushed in the first battle.... but where were the people? I mean shouldn't the common folk have been rising up to join there religious leader?

Seraphiel

Banned
Beginning to love this game again. Started as the Duke of Aquitaine in 1066 by 1079 the Kingdom of France has fallen into a big heap of crap when, me, Toulouse and Flanders declare inpedence. So far only Aquitaine has succeeded though worringly William the Conquerer has declared war on France, I dont like super strong neighbors.

Beginning to love this game again. Started as the Duke of Aquitaine in 1066 by 1079 the Kingdom of France has fallen into a big heap of crap when, me, Toulouse and Flanders declare inpedence. So far only Aquitaine has succeeded though worringly William the Conquerer has declared war on France, I dont like super strong neighbors.

The good thing is the Duke of Aquitaine has more power than the King of France. Plus I believe you have claims on Toulouse as well. You would win a war of Independance.

Seraphiel

Banned
The good thing is the Duke of Aquitaine has more power than the King of France. Plus I believe you have claims on Toulouse as well. You would win a war of Independance.

Oh Ive already won and the thing with Toulose, I have a son bethroted to the heir of Toulose, if the Toulosian Duke dies my grandson will be the heir to both Duchies. No war needed.

Also how powerful are the Spanish Muslim countries?

Oh Ive already won and the thing with Toulose, I have a son bethroted to the heir of Toulose, if the Toulosian Duke dies my grandson will be the heir to both Duchies. No war needed.

Also how powerful are the Spanish Muslim countries?

Pretty powerful, I usually wait till they are fighting lots of wars so their manpower is down and other muslim countries are too busy fighting to come help.

Good thing is your christian allies hate the muslims, so they will usually come when asked.

Also usually my first move as Duke of Aquitaine is trying to latch onto Mathilda di Contessa of Tuscany :) for more territories.

Something I would love to see in the Game of Thrones Mod, more activity from Religions.

For Example:

I was playing Aegon in the Conquest scenario. The 7 Kingdoms fell before me, and I refused to convert to the Faith of the 7.

You would think this would spark religious resistance right? No, nothing happened. The High Septon sat in his tower and fumed.

Fast forward a few years, and finally he declares war on me. He has around 4,800 men from the Poor Fellows and Warriors Sons (which are now Lords for some damn reason instead of religious orders), and a company of sell swords.

He was crushed in the first battle.... but where were the people? I mean shouldn't the common folk have been rising up to join there religious leader?
You should probably post this over at the Citadel, they usually listen to feedback. Usually. :D

Err, care to explain what's going on? I assume he's named after the most well-known Xerxes?

The character is named Xerxes Achaemenid, which was exact name of the well-known Xerxes the Great. Though, actually, Xerxes is a remarkably poor transliteration. Khshaya'rsha, however, sounds like a poorly conceived alien race, so in this case it's probably an acceptable break from reality. :p