Your Ideal South America Borders?

What are the six?
The most likely breakway states would be Grão-Pará in the North (OTL Northern Brazil sans Acre, Tocantins, Rondônia and plus Maranhão), Bahia taking the OTL east of the St. Francisco river, the rest of the Northeastern provinces would form their own republic, Rio Grande do Sul (or other names) including Santa Catarina and maybe Minas Gerais (though that could easily be part of "Brazil".

So those are the 6.

IFwanderer

Banned
Why people like to mash the Brazilian South with Megargentina so much?
Probably because that part of the map looks kind of weird if you fuse Argentina and Uruguay. Not that it makes sense, but people also do it for other places (generally in Asia or Africa).

The most likely breakway states would be Grão-Pará in the North (OTL Northern Brazil sans Acre, Tocantins, Rondônia and plus Maranhão), Bahia taking the OTL east of the St. Francisco river, the rest of the Northeastern provinces would form their own republic, Rio Grande do Sul (or other names) including Santa Catarina and maybe Minas Gerais (though that could easily be part of "Brazil".

So those are the 6.

Isn't that five? Can anyone do a map?

Isn't that five? Can anyone do a map?
6 with "Brazil"

OBS.: Rio and São Paulo are separated there because I just though of the possibility of those two not get along and seceding, which may or may not happen, but food for though.

Attachments

• Mapa do Brasil em 1821 - historiasylvio.blogspot.com.br.png
    Mapa do Brasil em 1821 - historiasylvio.blogspot.com.br.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 490
6 with "Brazil"

OBS.: Rio and São Paulo are separated there because I just though of the possibility of those two not get along and seceding, which may or may not happen, but food for though.

Thanks - the map is great! Can you provide a paragraph on each explaining the logic for why they would set themselves apart and their borders? Would really like to hear it.

Conosur09b.png

Work in progress (for several months)
Trasandino, Amazon, Peru-Bolivia are federal republics
Colombia, Oriental and Paraguay are unitary republics
Imperio de Brazil a monarchy

Last edited:

IFwanderer

Banned
Imperio de Brazil, Colombia, Oriental and Paraguay are unitary republics
1. The Empire is a republic?
2. It's strange that Oriental is a unitary state since with those borders it would probably have to be bilingual in Spanish and Portuguese, which should demand federalism or at least heavy devolution.

Thanks - the map is great! Can you provide a paragraph on each explaining the logic for why they would set themselves apart and their borders? Would really like to hear it.
Grão-Pará - Already administered as a separate colony from the rest of Brazil for a long while (first as State of Grão-Pará and Maranhão) and was a center of Loyalism during the War of Independence, loyalist feeling lingering until the 1830s during the Cabanagem revolt, would probably remain Portuguese for a while. Note: I got mistaken a bit, the borders may extend up to the Brazilian state of Piauí since it was part of Maranhão during most of the 18th century.
Pernambuco - Revolt twice with separatist intent, first in 1817 and later in 1824, "Pernambuco" itself is whole one of the several provinces making the Brazilian Northeast, but together with Bahia was one of the most predominant, probably a weak federation of small sugar-based provinces.
Bahia - The most prominent of the Northeastern states and former seat of the Colony, site of a revolt in 1798 (Tailor's Revolt) and later in 1837 (Sabinada), was a center of loyalism in the War of Independence, but could break if completely surrounded by independent polities.
Minas Gerais - Site of an conspiracy in 1789, could rebel against Rio de Janeiro with separatist intent or remain there, you decide.
Rio de Janeiro - The seat of everything, may as well be called Brazil.
São Paulo - Paulistano influence in the highlands date all the way back to the Bandeiras (exploring expeditions back in the 17th century) that conquered the region, all of it were once part of the São Paulo captaincy, note that the current Southern Paraná state was part of São Paulo until 1830.
Rio Grande do Sul - Southernmost part, distinct economy that could develop an state independent from Rio.

1. The Empire is a republic?
2. It's strange that Oriental is a unitary state since with those borders it would probably have to be bilingual in Spanish and Portuguese, which should demand federalism or at least heavy devolution.
Ooppsss!!!! My wrong. Imperio de Brazil is a monarchy.
For Oriental, food for though. All I will say that it is officially bilingual (Spanish and Portuguese) and also many also speak Portuñol.

Also officially bilingual/trilingual are Paraguay (Spanish and Guarani) and Peru-Bolivia (Spanish, Quechua and Aymara).

Mapudungun is recognized as a provincial language in Trasandino.

IFwanderer

Banned
Small aside: I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because it's a great chance to finally see alternate South Americas beyond the standard "viceroyalties don't split", "everything is owned by the US" and "pretty much OTL" that appear most of the time. Maybe I can take inspirations from here for some timeline I could do in the future.