Would the Gilded Age happened after a CSA Victory?

Could the USA have a Gilded Age after a CSA victory?

• No, the USA wouldn’t have had the Gilded Age

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Yes, the USA would still have had the Gilded Age

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
When I read history, after the Reconstruction, an Era known as the Gilded Age happened after. It was a time of great industrialization and economic growth, corrupt politicians and powerful businessmen.

But could such an Era still occurred if the Confederate States of America won the Civil War and became its own nation?

Could what’s left of the United States of America have this Gilded Age if they lost the Civil War?

Absolutely. The industrialization which took place during/after the Civil War would still have gone on. Despite the loss of the Southern cotton exports and the Southern population, immigrants were streaming in by their hundreds of thousands every year. The opening of the west provided access to more resources, required the build up of cities and had thousands of families looking for work.

The endemic corruption and pure capitalistic avarice that fueled it simply isn't going away. The men who helped build that age were alive during the Civil War, and they would probably have the backing of a political class which would want to fuel American greatness. If anything, the Gilded Age might last longer as it's entirely possible the need for reform is pushed down the line.

Ficboy

Banned
Pretty much, even if the United States lost the Civil War in 1862 (Trent War or no Lost Order-191) or even earlier like 1855 (Henry Clay dies and thus no Compromise of 1850, Texas goes into New Mexico, the United States fires the first shots and the South including Kentucky and Missouri form the Confederate States) there would still be a Glided Age with all the corruption and economic growth you can imagine minus Reconstruction of course.

Also, as for what a Confederate States version of this era looks like it would likely be about the transition from plantation into industrialization after slavery is gradually phased out though more for economic and pragmatic reasons rather than moral judgements.

Last edited:
Pretty much, even if the United States lost the Civil War in 1862 (Trent War or no Lost Order-191) or even earlier like 1855 (Henry Clay dies and thus no Compromise of 1850, Texas goes into New Mexico, the United States fires the first shots and the South including Kentucky and Missouri form the Confederate States) there would still be a Glided Age with all the corruption and economic growth you can imagine minus Reconstruction of course.

I agree with this. I would add that minus Reconstruction and the South being a loyally Democratic bastion (along with depending how badly the war goes much of the Upper South, such as MO, MD, or KY) the Stalwarts will remain in control for a really long time.

Ficboy

Banned
I agree with this. I would add that minus Reconstruction and the South being a loyally Democratic bastion (along with depending how badly the war goes much of the Upper South, such as MO, MD, or KY) the Stalwarts will remain in control for a really long time.
Honestly the Republican Party would more or less become hated amongst Northern voters after a Confederate victory in the Civil War in 1862 and another party would emerge to take it's place while the Democratic Party would more or less handle the Glided Age themselves. For an earlier civil war in 1853-1855, the Whig-Free Soil coalition would cease to exist and a new party such as the Know Nothing Party/Native American Party and the National Republican Party (a successor to the Northern Whigs and Free Soilers named after the anti-Jackson group in the 1830s) would more or less act as opposition to the Democratic Party which would wield significant power in the United States.