Would a Black Death-scale pandemic in the imperial era=mass importation of slaves to Europe?

I've realized that the first thing I should have looked for is what effect the original Black Death had on the slave trade.
Once the magna pestilencia had passed, the city had to cope with a labor supply even more greatly decimated than in the countryside due to a generally higher urban death rate. The city, however, could reverse some of this damage by attracting, as it had for centuries, new workers from the countryside, a phenomenon that deepened the crisis for the manorial lord and contributed to changes in rural settlement. A resurgence of the slave trade occurred in the Mediterranean, especially in Italy, where the female slave from Asia or Africa entered domestic service in the city and the male slave toiled in the countryside. Finding more labor was not, however, a panacea. A peasant or slave performed an unskilled task adequately but could not necessarily replace a skilled laborer. The gross loss of talent due to the plague caused a decline in per capita productivity by skilled labor remediable only by time and training (Hunt and Murray, 1999; Miskimin, 1975).
Source

You sure it was not Lisbon? Portugal doesn't even have 10% North African ancestry according to genetic studies, let alone Sub Saharan African.
Yep. I have egg on my face. Although, Southern Portugal does approach ~10 % Subsaharan heritage. There is some debate about how much of this comes originates from the Atlantic slave trade vs prior inflows, with some arguing that the majority comes from the former and other that the majority comes from the latter, so I don't know that there's a consensus position on this issue.

Well Brandenburg and Pomerania saw a 60% population loss in the 30YW, they saw a small influx of foreign European settlers.

Also while I could see southern Italy and Iberia seeing a influx of African slaves, I think the rest of Europe being too poor and the climate too cold and damp for such influx to be viable. Even if such a import was began, I think the massive death count after the first winter, would result in such import being seen as unviable.
Are you saying that African slaves specifically would have a harder time surviving in Europe(much like Europeans had a harder time surviving in the tropics)?

I've realized that the first thing I should have looked for is what effect the original Black Death had on the slave trade.

Source

Yep. I have egg on my face. Although, Southern Portugal does approach ~10 % Subsaharan heritage. There is some debate about how much of this comes originates from the Atlantic slave trade vs prior inflows, with some arguing that the majority comes from the former and other that the majority comes from the latter, so I don't know that there's a consensus position on this issue.

Are you saying that African slaves specifically would have a harder time surviving in Europe(much like Europeans had a harder time surviving in the tropics)?

Yes

Apologies, I mixed two things up. Madeira has comparatively high Sub-Saharan African descent (from the North Macaronesian baseline), while it is the Canaries where Amerindian lineages are found.

https://www.academia.edu/3186396/Mi...lands_Variation_within_and_among_archipelagos
It only mentions that there some lineages, but apparently they are virtually non existent given they were not reported.
As far as I know Southern Spain hardly even approches 10-20% North African heritage, so I'm skeptic of Portugual having 10% of Subsaharan heritage.

Brunaburh

Banned
It only mentions that there some lineages, but apparently they are virtually non existent given they were not reported.

As far as I know Southern Spain hardly even approches 10-20% North African heritage, so I'm skeptic of Portugual having 10% of Subsaharan heritage.

There were enough to show that the historically documented movement of people from South America to Europe left MTDNA lineages in Macaronesia. Re. Portugal, nobody said that it was 10% subsaharan African genetically, but that it once had 10% African slave population. Slaves have less children and not all slaves were subsaharan, some were North African, most had European blood, some had Amerindian blood and some were from the Canaries. Though I'd like to see the source of the 10% slave claim.

If the Europeans have had this sort of death rate, you are certainly going to have some bleeding of the infection to North Africa and even sub-Saharan Africa with some reduction in population there. Going to sub-Saharan Africa to get the slaves is actually going to require some effort - ships, crews, etc which require shipyards, repairs etc. OTL most of the slaves were acquired by locals who then brought them to coastal forts where the slaves were exchanged for European goods - especially muskets which strengthened local rulers and also made it easier for them to get more slaves to sell. Actual European slave raids were the exception. I wonder the ability of a plague devastated Europe to carry this on.

There is also the problem of the tropical diseases on the slave coast ("Beware, beware the Bight of Benin, where forty come out where a hundred go in"), folks who are survivors of one horrific plague are likely to be a touch nervous about other disease haunted areas.

As far as climate, folks who have spent their lives in a warm or even tropical climate are not terribly comfortable when they are exposed to cold weather, even with adequate clothing and shelter which slaves are unlikely to have. In the USA the attitude of whiter southerners to a winter in the upper midwest is proof enough of this.

There were enough to show that the historically documented movement of people from South America to Europe left MTDNA lineages in Macaronesia. Re. Portugal, nobody said that it was 10% subsaharan African genetically, but that it once had 10% African slave population. Slaves have less children and not all slaves were subsaharan, some were North African, most had European blood, some had Amerindian blood and some were from the Canaries. Though I'd like to see the source of the 10% slave claim.
I was responding to this:

"Yep. I have egg on my face. Although, Southern Portugal does approach ~10 % Subsaharan heritage."

Deleted member 67076

The problem with importing slaves from Africa is they arrive basically unskilled
That's not particularly true; the Portuguese in particular favored the buying of artisans and other craftsmen to work in sugar mills. Sugar itself requires a decent amount of skilled labor, far more than the common image of just cutting cane.

Is this plague confined to Europe or universal? If it mainly effects Europe, the Europeans might find themselves with more pressing concerns involving opportunistic North African, Middle Eastern, and Central Asian states. In such a scenario, Sub-Saharans might be more likely to arrive in Europe, but as part of Amir so-and-so's army.