WI: Washington joins the Royal Navy

Something not many people are aware of is that George Washington very nearly joined the Royal Navy. Only his mother begging him to stay convinced him not to take his appointment as a midshipman.

There are a lot of jokes to be made comparing this to Luke Skywalker wanting to enroll in the Imperial Academy, but I'm not here to discuss them. I'm here to ask a question: what if Washington had joined up?

Did any American colonials ever reach high ranks in the Royal Navy?
I dont know but he was part of the upper class, I dont know if he was full on nobility but his status should increase his chances over someone who came from a low backround (Hamilton, for example probably would not get anywhere near admiral in the navy becuse of this, even if he had the merit).

Last edited:
I dont know but he was part of the upper class I dont know of he was full on nobility but his status should increase his chances over someone who came from a low backround (Hamilton, for example probably would not get anywhere near admiral in the navy becuse of this, even if he had the merit).
I think Washington was Gentry, the norm for upper class Anglo-Americans. Americans were a large part of the Merchant Marines, so Washington probably could get a high rank.

If we ignore random butterflies and only focus on the direct causal links, it means Washington doesn't start the French and Indian War.