WI Tito's Funeral Bombed

Josip Broz Tito had one of the largest gathering of world leaders at his funeral. What if the bleachers where all the invited guests had bombs planted underneath.

As I understand there was something like 120 heads of state, heads of government, foreign ministers and other guests.

As for who is responsible? Take a pick of any of the nationalist groups who hated Tito at the time.

Were there any such attacks against Tito, or other Yugoslav leaders committed or even planned IOTL? Which organizations would have been most likely and capable to pull off something like this, and why would they have done it? If you have something against Tito, why attack him now when he is already dead?

If there is human action involved, not a random earthquake or a meteorite, etc, personally I don't consider a theoretical event a proper POD if we can't sort out the details of how and why it would actually happen. So - you presented the POD, you say exactly which group did it, and why they would have been likely to do it.:)

Might want to try the funeral of Nasser. Apparently the Americans wouldn't send Bush Sr. due to security concerns (what with Nasser being shot by his own men at a parade), and couldn't send someone as common as the Vice President to the funeral of such an important ally, so they send all the former living presidents. Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon... You can only imagine what an attack on this funeral would be like in popular culture. It would be the basis of so many action thrillers and documentaries.

Might want to try the funeral of Nasser. Apparently the Americans wouldn't send Bush Sr. due to security concerns (what with Nasser being shot by his own men at a parade), and couldn't send someone as common as the Vice President to the funeral of such an important ally, so they send all the former living presidents. Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon... You can only imagine what an attack on this funeral would be like in popular culture. It would be the basis of so many action thrillers and documentaries.
Sadaat, not Nasser.

Less crazy also
And at a period of time where more people would come to his funeral. But yes, if we consider a bombing of Tito's funeral I am guessing... Anarchists, Neo-Fascists, or Islamic Terrorists. None of which would exactly have the skills or numbers for this sort of attack.

gaijin

Banned
Not to make too much of a point of it but this won't happen. I've organised a number of events where people of this level attend (royalty, Pm, etc.) and there is always at least one sweep of the venue just before the VIP,'s enter.

Not to make too much of a point of it but this won't happen. I've organised a number of events where people of this level attend (royalty, Pm, etc.) and there is always at least one sweep of the venue just before the VIP,'s enter.

It is not entirely impossible to distract or to go around state leadership-level security if you know the venue in question well enough. When Vladimir Putin visited my place of work some years ago, or when members of the Swedish royalty have come around several times in the last few years, I could have positioned myself to pie them with only moderate effort.;) And I am in no way a terrorist mastermind, as everyone who knows me can attest to.

Generally, though, I agree with you. That is why I made my comment above: for this kind of a POD, the OP should really spell out how and why it happened, in some detail. Otherwise it is not really a POD at all, as far as I am concerned. We might as well go with a meteorite hitting the funeral for equal, if not better, probability of success.

gaijin

Banned
A lone gunman scenario (which is what you are proposing) is very different from what the OP is about though. One man with a gun who is willing to die is pretty hard to stop. A bomb however can be detected fairly easily with some standard procedures.

A lone gunman scenario (which is what you are proposing) is very different from what the OP is about though. One man with a gun who is willing to die is pretty hard to stop. A bomb however can be detected fairly easily with some standard procedures.

It would be harder to detect the bomb if it is brought in at the very last minute. If someone knows the arrangements well enough, they could organize it. But necessarily, it would then be a smaller bomb than the kind that could be placed beforehand, and might amount to just killing a handful of people, not taking out a massive number of important leaders like the OP is proposing.

Anyway, I just like to consider the possible options as a thought exercise, one I think the OP should have already gone through prior to posting. Like I said above, generally I agree with you.

Deleted member 94680

What would one group have to gain from this? Multiple heads of state killed, from both sides of the Cold War divide, means any organisation carrying this out looses support from everyone.

It never happened IRL, and unless I'm mistaken, never came close to happening either. Must be a valid reason for that.