WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ITTL's TNG Geordi is the XO instead of Riker and will most likely leave the series after BOBW Part II for his own command. That will change the series even more than it already has. I'm leaning towards Data becoming XO instead of Riker when Geordi leaves but that is not set in stone yet. Dwight Schultz's Barclay will get a big role to chew on as the chief engineer. ITTL Tasha survives the first year as the ship's counselor instead of as chief security but might not survive the second, so Troi will take her place as the counselor like OTL starting season 3. I'd also try to give Ro Laren a weekly role instead of a recurring role. She was an excellent character.
Could have a episode or two of Data dealing with not getting the promotion despite all logic and such, with the reasoning being well, they don't feel he's suited for the role yet. He needs more experience.

Check out Peter David book Q square
it similar to what you want to do

Also if you are A Q fan find Davis book Q in law
The handball scene is the funniest thing anyone ever did in a Star Trek novel

Well, that makes perfect sense when you put it down like that.

And out of all the episodes in TNG, Yesterday's Enterprise is certainly the one that could easily translate into a film plot. Will be looking forward to that.

Oh yes, Dalton definitely deserved a bit more Bond films, and it makes me glad he'll get the opportunity here, for he's one of my favourite Bond actors.

And plus, with Hunt for Red October, there isn't really much that can be changed with that movie (other than casting, to be honest), so having a Red Storm Rising movie (even though I'm of the opinion that it could have been done better with a television miniseries, but hey, I'm not complaining!) is a nice change.
Does it mean that Tom Clancy's works will get more of a look from Hollywood studios, with maybe Patriot Games being adapted as the first Jack Ryan film, followed by Cardinal of the Kremlin (which in OTL was planned to have Harrison Ford return as Jack Ryan, with William Shatner co-starring) and Clear and Present Danger? As well as maybe adaptations of Larry Bond and Patrick Larkin's Red Phoenix and Vortex?
The only way to make Hunt a better movie is do it as a mini series on one of the Cable channels like HBO or Showtime .
fellow the second half of the book closer instead of condensing everything into 15 minutes

IIRC my plan was to have Q as the primary antagonist of the first TNG movie instead of redoing Star Trek Generations. I want the TNG crew to stand on their own completely instead of being subordinate to the TOS crew, which is more important ITTL due to TOS's outsized influence (we have TOS + Star Trek Reliant + Starfleet Intelligence ITTL).

For the first TNG movie, Star Trek: The Trial, I was thinking something like Yesterday's Enterprise, but Q changes the timeline and Picard/crew have to figure out how to solve Q's puzzle before their futures end. I was thinking of the very sinister Q we saw in Farpoint instead of the more humorous version. A triggering event could be something as simple as Riker and Troi exchanging wedding vows. As for the other TNG movies, First Contact remains the same and we get a Star Trek: Liberation movie (TNG/DS9 combined cast). That movie would be about the liberation of Betazed which we never saw on screen. That would be an incredible sendoff for the TNG crew and a passing of the torch to DS9. I'd probably end the TNG movies there and try to get DS9 a feature film or two.

Are you planning to end TNG with All Good Things or something like it? If so, then having Q as the antagonist of TNG: The Movie might seem a bit repetitive for the fans.

For a Yesterday's Enterprise changed timeline like story (and again if YE went out as OTL many will say this is repetitive) how about the Ent-D finds the Ent-B - its dead in space, over an unknown planet. Crew beam down. They find a portal - like an Iconian, but more.... experimental. Data fries it up, and suddenly it opens in a burst of light that envelops the ship, and Data- but he is the only one uneffected. Inside, he find himself in an Alt Federation where the Ent-A crew where unable to prevent the assassination of the UFP President and war with the Klingons broke out. The UFP won comprehensively and the Klingon Empire is no more. The historical captain of the Ent-B - Harriman is now the UFP President, and has turned the UFP and their partners the Romulans into a Paradise - even more so than the 24thC UFP Data knows.

Everything the UFP does comes up sixes - Romulan peace, Klingons as citizens, Gorn as members, Transwarp, Cardassians are friends, etc etc. Data will find all the crew of the Ent-B living amazing lives, totally forfilling and rich- Styles, Rand, Sulu, Chekov etc all happy. Yet Data smells a rat - the probabilities of all this are way too much. He finds the Ent-D crew in this paradise - all are happy. Worf grew up to a Mocbar Master with his family, wife and children, Riker is a Captain and married to both Troi sisters, Picard is Indy Jones style action archaeologist, etc etc. Data discovers Dr Soong is alive - Lore is good, Lal is at their family home.... Data wavers and travels Home. It is paradise.

Yet, Data is still crunching the numbers, and one day whilst working on child No. 3 he realises this must be all a simulation, a test, he finds a 'carrier wave' that permeates everything. He figures out a way to restore a organics thought patterns by isolating it from the 'carrier wave' - he tries it on Picard who he knows had formidable willpower. The Captain breaks out of the simulation for a while and Data quickly explains, Picard urges him to 'get them out' before the device sparks out and Archaeologist Hero Picard is back. Data redoubles his efforts - each version of his device lasts a little longer as he goes through Ent-D and even Ent-B crew trying to find a permanent solution to the 'carrier wave' - eventually he steals the Ent-C from the fleet museum with help from a mixed crew, and takes to the location of the same planet as the Gateway in the fake universe - it is there and studying with Archaeologist Picard's help they summon the 'Mentors' - the alien species who are running the show.

The Mentors will only realise those who go willingly. Data 'Picard speeches' and plays a trump card, restoring the Ent-D/B command crew's true personalities. Most the Ent-D officers are happy to leave (exceptions?) while those of the Ent-B wavers since they have been here longer to live their fake lives, and most stay, esp after they find out the current year Data's comes from. The Mentors agree and let them go, with only faded memories and dreams from their time in the dream world, even Data. There is relationship fallout among the crew. Data gets citations, medals and a promotion.

How's that?

Last edited:
Are you planning to end TNG with All Good Things or something like it? If so, then having Q as the antagonist of TNG: The Movie might seem a bit repetative for the fans.

For a Yesterday's Enterprise changed timeline like story (and again if YE went out as OTL many will say this is repetitive) how about the Ent-D finds the Ent-B - its dead in space, over an unknown planet. Crew beam down. They find a portal - like an Iconian, but more.... experimental. Data fries it up, and suddenly it opens in a burst of light that envolps the ship, and Data- but he is the only one uneffected. Inside, he find himself in an Alt Federation where the Ent-A crew where unable to prevent the assassination of the UFP President and war with the Klingons broke out. The UFP won comprehensively and the Klingon Empire is no more. The historical captain of the Ent-B - Harriman is now the UFP President, and has turned the UFP and their partners the Romulans into a Paradise - even more so than the 24thC UFP Data knows.

Everything the UFP does comes up sixes - Romulan peace, Klingons as citizens, Gorn as members, Transwarp, Cardassians are friends, etc etc. Data will find all the crew of the Ent-B living amazing lives, totally forfilling and rich- Styles, Rand, Sulu, Chekov etc all happy. Yet Data smells a rat - the probabilities of all this are way too much. He finds the Ent-D crew in this paradise - all are happy. Worf grew up to a Mocbar Master with his family, wife and children, Riker is a Captain and married to both Troi sisters, Picard is Indy Jones style action archologist, etc etc. Data discovers Dr Soong is alive - Lore is good, Lal is at their family home.... Data wavers and travels Home. It is paradise.

Yet, Data is still crunching the numbers, and one day whilst working on child No. 3 he realisies this must be all a simulation, a test, he finds a 'carrier wave' that premates everything. He figures out a way to restore a organics thought patterns by isolating it from the 'carrier wave' - he tries it on Picard who he knows had formidable willpower. The Captain breaks out of the simulation for a while and Data quickly explains, Picard urges him to 'get them out' before the device sparks out and Archologist Hero Picard is back. Data redoubles his efforts - each version of his device lasts a little longer as he goes through Ent-D and even Ent-B crew trying to find a permanent solution to the 'carrier wave' - evetually he steals the Ent-C from the fleet museum with help from a mixed crew, and takes to the location of the same planet as the Gateway in the fake universe - it is there and studying with Archologist Pciard's help they summon the 'Mentors' - the alien spiecies who are running the show.

The Mentors will only realise those who go willingly. Data 'Picard speeches' and plays a trump card, restoring the Ent-D/B command crew's true personalities. Most the Ent-D officers are happy to leave (exceptions?) while those of the Ent-B wavers since they have been here longer to live their fake lives, and most stay, esp after they find out the year in Data's time. The Mentors agree and let them go, with only faded memories and dreams from their time in the dream world, even Data. There is relationship fallout among the crew. Data gets citations, medals and a promotion.

How's that?
I missed talking to you! That’s a fantastic premise. If I use it I have to give you credit

I missed talking to you! That’s a fantastic premise. If I use it I have to give you credit
I thought it would be fun to change the Picard focus of the OTL movies somewhere else. Spiner can act and this allows him to stretch some range as the main character, but also allow the other cast to do something outside their norm - like Picard being Indy, or Worf a committed family man.

Was thinking your could throw in TOS/S:I characters, but thought it best to use the background types like Kyle, Rand - who ITTL would have been fleshed out more given the sear amount of TOS era TV, but are not the mains. Also though it worth given any of the TNG regulars an 'out' if they wanted to go by the option to stay in Paradise.

Last edited:
I thought it would be fun to change the Picard focus of the OTL movies somewhere else.
The problem with this is Patrick Stewart. He pushed heavily for a Picard focus. IOTL and ITTL he had/has the pull to get it. Especially in a TOS crossover, he won't accept being second banana of the TNG characters given how diluted the focus will be already. I think you'd need to work this in such a way that Stewart was the lead, and even then it'll be overstuffed with the TOS crew in as well.

The problem with this is Patrick Stewart. He pushed heavily for a Picard focus. IOTL and ITTL he had/has the pull to get it. Especially in a TOS crossover, he won't accept being second banana of the TNG characters given how diluted the focus will be already. I think you'd need to work this in such a way that Stewart was the lead, and even then it'll be overstuffed with the TOS crew in as well.
Perhaps, but given we have not had all of TNG yet, it might be the ‘Picard push’ of later seasons does not happen and Stewart is not the focus as much.

Perhaps, but given we have not had all of TNG yet, it might be the ‘Picard push’ of later seasons does not happen and Stewart is not the focus as much.
Stewart might be focused on less but he would still be the lead of the series and the captain, he would have to be the lead character. If you use "Best of Both Worlds" to transition to Captain Riker you might be able to do it, Frakes might not be as clearly defined as the lead (and also strikes me as much more willing to take a back seat).
In this respect was Patrick Stewart like William Shatner in respect to his playing Kirk(Remember Shatner was notorious on set for the size of his ego)?
Not remotely to Shatner's extent (as evidenced by the fact the TNG cast are very buddy buddy), but he pushed for more of an action hero role and that manifested in the movies. Specifically the car chase in Nemesis was his idea.

Hmmm… is Nemesis going to be replaced in this TL?

If so somehow I want to see the ST cast tackle David Mack’s Legacy trilogy. To me that’s the how the TNG era ended.

Hmmm… is Nemesis going to be replaced in this TL?

If so somehow I want to see the ST cast tackle David Mack’s Legacy trilogy. To me that’s the how the TNG era ended.

No Nemesis ITTL

Y'know, I actually liked the general idea of Nemesis. It just failed in the execution.
Its not as bad as Into Darkness but it suffers from the same issue of being a total Khan clone.

When it comes to Star Trek Nemesis I remember something that was either said by SF Debris or Linkara that is "We had Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Wrath of Khan it was Star Trek First Contact" and Star Trek First Contact did Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Wrath of Khan better than Nemesis ever could.

When it comes to Star Trek Nemesis I remember something that was either said by SF Debris or Linkara that is "We had Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Wrath of Khan it was Star Trek First Contact" and Star Trek First Contact did Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Wrath of Khan better than Nemesis ever could.
Largely by not being a total clone of the original. Frankly if it had been film nine it might have been okay (or at least made a profit) but after Insurrection and with the final decline of the TNG era ongoing it just wasn't going to have a chance.

Its not as bad as Into Darkness but it suffers from the same issue of being a total Khan clone.
Yeah, it tried way too hard to ape Khan.

Like, Khan worked because we were introduced to him, and a cruel twist of fate brought him back. Combine that with some masterful acting, and well, it works.

Nemesis lacks all of that.

You can't just copy what worked in the past and hope it worked.