WI: President Nixon v. Kennedy in 1960??

What If Eisenhower had died during his second term andNixon was made president? How does this effect the 1960 election? Does Nixon win the election or Kennedy? If he does win, is he the one who is assassinated in Dallas in 1963 instead of Kennedy? If Kennedy loses in 1960, does he run again? If so, does he win? How long is his presidency? How are they remembered? If Kennedy runs again does he chose Johnson?

it depends of one factor,
Will Nixon slam his knee into car door on a campaign trip to Greensboro, N.C. (august 1960) ?
The result was a knee injury, that got serious !
Nixon had a staph infection, which brought on septic (poisonous) arthritis, and he refused to take time off from the trail because he had promised to campaign in every state!
What serious hampered his Presidential campaign and ended in disastrous TV debate.
were Kennedy looking healthy and vital while Nixon was waxen, sweaty and haggard.

The Irony, Nixon health was much better as was Kennedy in debate, JFK was serious Ill with Addison's disease and had hypothyroidism.
As medication JFK took allot drugs: Lomotil, Metamucil, paregoric, phenobarbital, testosterone, hormones, animal organ cells, steroids, vitamins, enzymes, and amphetamines !

If Nixon runs as an incumbent in 1960, he holds a distinct advantage in terms of experience and continuity. He doesn't need to debate, and probably wouldn't, citing time away from presidential duties. If incumbent Richard Nixon is reasonably competent-and there's no reason to suspect otherwise-then he'll win. Not a landslide: Kennedy would be sufficiently different from the run-of-the-mill candidates to grab attention and votes at least on appearance and style if nothing else, but balancing that would be Nixon's incumbency and--yes--the question of his faith. Nixon could turn that around in a heartbeat, though, by making a statement that the election has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with who knows how to govern better.

Kennedy's health is one joker in the deck for a run later in life. Another is the twin foreign concerns of Cuba and Vietnam. But the third and arguably biggest is exactly when Nixon succeeded Eisenhower: if it were after 20 January 1959 (I think I have this right) then his tenure as president-by-succession would be less than half a term and he would be eligible to run again in 1964. If that were the case, some of the Kennedy attractiveness would have been dulled by the 1960 loss, and he might not have gotten the nomination in 1964. Perhaps that might have been Lyndon Johnson's turn, which might well have been one of the nastiest, dirtiest campaigns ever: neither Johnson nor Nixon were squeamish about a street fight campaign. Going to predict Nixon's incumbency would allow him to get by in '64, however.

I don't think Nixon would have taken Henry Cabot Lodge as his VP nominee in 1960. Look more for someone like, perhaps, one-time MD governor Theodore McKeldin instead.

In '68, I'd guess Kennedy, Humphrey, and Johnson would all vie for the nomination, and I have to wonder if any of them would have had enough to pull it off. Perhaps the Dems would have wound up with a compromise candidate (not sure who) after something of a deadlocked convention. On the other hand, I don't think VP McKeldin would have run for the top job in '68; he would have been 68 years old at the time. Possibly Bill Scranton might have been the nominee instead.