WI: Boll weevil arrives earlier?

IOTL, the boll weevil came over from Mexico in the 1920s, devastating the American cotton industry and economy. So a question, which has likely appeared a few times already, that I would like to ask, is what if the boll weevil came over in the middle 19th century, around 1856? And it only starts to be noticeable around the Civil War, after the states have seceded. How does this affect the Civil War? How does this affect the world economy? Does the South switch to other profitable cash crops? How does this affect Reconstruction?
EDIT: As for how it happens, a ship that had the insects mostly killed OTL survive and breed in an ATL near Brownsville. As a bonus, another ship arrives in New Orleans carrying the insect.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is one of those sorts of WI that require either a robust POD rooted in history or it falls into ASB territory.

Specifically there has to be a reason for the arrival in Brownsville. Otherwise the existing natural barriers that kept the insect contained will continue to hold sway and thus require ASB intervention. Please either rework/add to the POD as presented or this will be moved to ASB.

This is one of those sorts of WI that require either a robust POD rooted in history or it falls into ASB territory.

Specifically there has to be a reason for the arrival in Brownsville. Otherwise the existing natural barriers that kept the insect contained will continue to hold sway and thus require ASB intervention. Please either rework/add to the POD as presented or this will be moved to ASB.
I will edit the OP shortly. Though I have seen similar discussions and they were able to pass for being on pre-1900.