WI: Şehzade Mustafa's succeeds Suleiman

Şehzade Mustafa was the son of Suleiman the Magnificent, and the heir to succeed Suleiman, being popular amoung the Janissaries. However, in 1553, due to the manipulations of Hürrem and Rüstem Pasha, Suleiman had Mustafa killed.

So, what if Şehzade Mustafa had lived, and succeeded his father, becoming Mustafa I of the Ottoman Empire?

Now, there are two main PODs, I want to focus on for Şehzade Mustafa reign to start.

POD 1: Suleiman the Magnificent doesn't order Mustafa's death, eventually, in 1566, Mustafa makes it to the capital first, becoming the next sultan.

POD 2: Based off an old thread I asked a few months ago, what if during the Ottoman-Safavid third campaign, between 1552 and before October 1553 (Mustafa's death), Suleiman is either killed by an Safavid, or dies of a sickness. Mustafa makes it to the capital first, becoming the next sultan.

With Sultan Mustafa I now on the throne, what to do now?

What military campaigns could Sultan Mustafa I go on?

What to do with his half-brothers (I read that he was very close with them, but the true scale of their relationship is unknown)

What would diplomatic relationships with Europeans, the Safavids, and North African kingdoms (Morocco) be like under Sultan Mustafa I

What other military or legal reforms could Sultan Mustafa could enact?

Şehzade Mustafa was the son of Suleiman the Magnificent, and the heir to succeed Suleiman, being popular amoung the Janissaries. However, in 1553, due to the manipulations of Hürrem and Rüstem Pasha, Suleiman had Mustafa killed.

So, what if Şehzade Mustafa had lived, and succeeded his father, becoming Mustafa I of the Ottoman Empire?

Now, there are two main PODs, I want to focus on for Şehzade Mustafa reign to start.

POD 1: Suleiman the Magnificent doesn't order Mustafa's death, eventually, in 1566, Mustafa makes it to the capital first, becoming the next sultan.

POD 2: Based off an old thread I asked a few months ago, what if during the Ottoman-Safavid third campaign, between 1552 and before October 1553 (Mustafa's death), Suleiman is either killed by an Safavid, or dies of a sickness. Mustafa makes it to the capital first, becoming the next sultan.

With Sultan Mustafa I now on the throne, what to do now?

What military campaigns could Sultan Mustafa I go on?

What to do with his half-brothers (I read that he was very close with them, but the true scale of their relationship is unknown)

What would diplomatic relationships with Europeans, the Safavids, and North African kingdoms (Morocco) be like under Sultan Mustafa I

What other military or legal reforms could Sultan Mustafa could enact?

If 1566:
- Mustafa is 50-51 years old. Not the right age for long campaigns.
- His reign will likely be shorter (10-15 years)
- He will likely go on a rampage in Hungary to consolidate his European Possesions decisively.
- If he is still alive he may go on a war against Venice. Venice was a problem with holding land between Istanbul and Egypt
- Malta is an option too. As long as the Knights operate from Malta, they are a minor threat, but a threat nonetheless.
- If he feels very ambitious he will use the fleet to instigate further anti-Spanish Rebellions of Moriscos
- If very lucky he lives past his father's age. (No Ottoman Sultan after Suleiman surpassed him by age until Abdulhamid II but he wasn't Sultan since 1909)

If 1553:
- Mustafa is 38... a lot of time to sit on the throne
- 20, 25 or even 30 years, again if lucky
- Rustem is most definitely killed (or exiled to far away if he feels pity for his younger halfsister)
- Mustafa finishes the Persian Campaign with better results (but probably bloodier as well)
- Mustaf focuses, as stated above, for the West to consolidate it rather than full expansion
- as stated above, focusses on the Knights
- Maybe try to intervene against the Spanish by invading Naples/Sicily. I have to say, any successful gain of Italy beyons the 1540s is reduced to luck. A lot of luck... realistically speaking, only Sicily is possible AND defendable. By the 1560s, the earliest I assume Mustafa to invade Italy (if at all), the Spanish are in a stronger position, especially on the Mainland. Sicily as an Island is easier to defend with the landscape and a stronger Navy. For long term of course.
- As stated above, sending the Navy to aid the Moriscos, but this time more as the Spanish will likely be distracted

Military reform speaking, it requires none as the Ottoman Armies were formidable. No Janissary Corps that allows marriages or is turned into a tax free fest for opportunists.
The Navy will have to adapt or the battles with Spain will be worse in later decades.

The Military Campaigns were stated above... Persia, Hungary, Mediterranean and maybe Italy and Iberia.

His brothers are a trick situation... Bayezid was kinda a rebellious figure. Selim was more the quiet type. I guess he won't execute them though he will either A. Keep them and the sons in the Capital close B. Let his brothers as governors but the sons in the Capital to prevent wrong doings. Cihangir will likely remain close to him.

Diplomatically speaking... the Safavids will be pressured to stop anti-Sunni policies or even fo adopt Sunnism. But no actual effort to enforce Sunnism. Morocco looks like a great partner to have against Spain. It will likely be used as such more than OTL. In Europe the wars with Spain will be larger but mostly in North Africa, South Italy and the Seas. France will likely remain a partner and Elizabeth will become one. A firm one (though no ally).

His son will likely a better Sultan too, in terms of how people remember him (Selim II wasn't necessarily bad but his decisions abd part of his character made it look like he was waste of 8 years). Beyond that, it's hard to tell. The Ottomans may remain as strong as they are far into the 18th century. They may do worse than post-Selim II. They may not differ too much either. Who knows.

Last edited: