Where the River Flows: The Story of Misia: A Native American Superpower

The map has Kutsaan with two 'a's, the text has one 'a'. Which is it?

Also - are the Kutsa(a)n the Pueblo? The Navajo and the Zuni were easy to identify :p

272EA2A8-950F-4407-A148-6A49BE643A41.jpeg

The map has Kutsaan with two 'a's, the text has one 'a'. Which is it?

Also - are the Kutsa(a)n the Pueblo? The Navajo and the Zuni were easy to identify :p
Let’s just say they’re alternate spellings. I initially made the map a while ago while I was deciding exactly how I wanted the English spelling to be. Kutsan refers to the Yuman peoples, and particularly the Quechan (Kwtsaan) of the Colorado River Delta who in this timeline are far larger and basically merge with the surrounding peoples. In our timeline they were a humble farming people who never quite reached the heights of the neighboring Pueblo. In this timeline they are able to use the influx of influence from the east to grow and become the Egypt of North America.

Oh also to add clarifying on the pueblo—
OTL the Pueblo refer to many distinct groups around the Upper Rio Grande and Colorado who built large adobe structures. The Hopi, Zuni, Keres, Tiwa, Tewa, etc. can all be considered Pueblo people (basically anyone in the region but the Navajo and Apache, who migrated later). The best equivalent to the term Pueblo here is the term “Ashipe”, an exonym applied by the Misians.

Chapter 14: L'Homme D'or de Bacatas
Chapter 14: L'Homme D'or de Bacatas

At this time, they stripped the heir to his skin, and anointed him with a sticky earth on which they placed gold dust so that he was completely covered with this metal. They placed him on the raft ... and at his feet they placed a great heap of gold and emeralds for him to offer to his god. In the raft with him went four principal subject chiefs, decked in plumes, crowns, bracelets, pendants and ear rings all of gold. They, too, were naked, and each one carried his offering ... when the raft reached the centre of the lagoon, they raised a banner as a signal for silence. The gilded Indian then ... [threw] out all the pile of gold into the middle of the lake, and the chiefs who had accompanied him did the same on their own accounts. ... After this they lowered the flag, which had remained up during the whole time of offering, and, as the raft moved towards the shore, the shouting began again, with pipes, flutes and large teams of singers and dancers. With this ceremony the new ruler was received, and was recognized as lord and king. This is what is known as the ceremony of L’Homme D’or.
– Giovanni da Verazzano describing a Muisca tradition

While Portugal established Brazil, Spain plundered the Caribbean, and England built a political and economic sphere of influence among the Midewin cultures of East America, France sat on the sidelines in Europe for thirty years. King Francis I eventually decided to send his first expedition to the New World in 1523 led by Giovanni da Verrazano. The expedition neared the shores of Takamcook that spring, where he was warned by the English that the entirety of the Eastern Seaboard and its ports were controlled by the English. Initially refusing to heed the warning, the French expedition neared the Haudenosaunee ports of Mashowomuk and Manhattan, but in both cases was turned back by the English.

In 1525, following the failure of the first expedition, King Francis decided to send Verrazano on another voyage, this time to the Caribbean. Spain had become wealthy thanks to the spice trade, gold mines, and sugar plantations of the tropics, so Francis hoped that the French would be able to establish their own presence in the region. The 1525 expedition of Giovanni da Verrazano would be much more successful. The French would explore primarily the islands of the Lesser Antilles and the Guiana shield, areas where the French would eventually set up their own colonies.

However, by far the most important development of this voyage would be the French landing on the northwest corner of the South American continent at the mouth of the Camache River. On the east bank of the river was the settlement of a small local tribe of the same name. After learning the local language, he learned that the Kamash and other local peoples were part of a vast trade network that was dominated culturally and economically by a powerful federation that lived in the mountains inland, and that this federation, known as the Mouisca, could be reached by journeying up the river to where it was no longer navigable and ascending the nearby mountains. He would journey up the river and establish contact with the Zipa of the Muisca Federation, trading for spices and precious metals, which he brought back to France to impress the King. In subsequent voyages, the French settlement of Port Francois on the western bank of the River would grow into a prominent city.

Meanwhile, in the south, the Spanish from their port at Panama would launch an expedition south in 1528 led by Pascual de Andagoya to explore the west coast of South America, having heard rumors of another large empire to the south. This voyage would lead the Spanish to discover the city of Tumbes, a major coastal city of Tawantinsuyu. Emperor Waskar, being geographically removed, was not aware of events in North America, but was nonetheless somewhat skeptical of the arriving Spaniards. Still, he would eventually reach the same trade deal as did the Meshica, and so Waskar would provide the Spanish with spices and minerals from the mines of the Andes in exchange for guns and horses, spurring further Inca expansion.

Most of the expansion of the Inca would be directed north. Movement through the mountainous terrain was slow, but by 1537, the Inca had launched a full-scale invasion of the lands within the Muisca sphere of influence. In the Mouisca War, the Muisca would rally their North Andean allies along with the French to fight back the Incas, who were supported by Spain. In 1542, with neither side wishing to see continued destruction, particularly with the newly Protestant England as a potential threat, Spanish and French diplomats called for an end to the fighting and met in Bacata. Under this deal, the French would allow the Inca to annex Muisca lands in exchange for Franco-Muisca autonomy, including France’s right to maintain its current ports and construct other ports on Muisca land in the future.

The Spanish, meanwhile, would continue their expansion in South America. After a failed attempt in 1541, Spain would successfully establish the settlement of Buenos Aires at the mouth of the Plate River in 1578 in a region that had come to be known as Argentina. When Spain and Portugal merged into the Iberian Union in 1580, Portuguese Brazil would also be incorporated into the same empire, and Iberia would begin to construct a series of forts throughout Argentina up to and into the still relatively undeveloped southern portions of Portuguese Brazil to protect the villages from the native tribes. While this region was garrisoned to some extent, it was still left quite vulnerable, a vulnerability that could be exploited.​

Yeah I know this chapter is mostly filler. It was basically info I just needed to include before getting to the next few chapters.

Chapter 15 is going to be a bigger one, and I plan to bring it back to Misia and the Eastern Seaboard. I started writing it, and here is the teaser:

It was unmistakably an Isapanol ship. The Spanish flag was not there, but it was very clearly not an Ihnelish vessel.

Policies had changed since the Spanish invasion. No mysterious ship could simply enter Shawasha harbor, and with an indigenous navy unlike any seen before in the history of the Americas, the Misians were able to stop and board the ship offshore. The crew of the ship looked quite similar to the men who had invaded six years prior, and they spoke a similar language. Yet, they were rather modestly dressed, and searching the stowage of the ship, there were no weapons, and there was little in the way of arms, and there appeared to be no other nearby ships. When they were interrogated as to their origin, the men responded back in the language of the Isapanoliaki and referenced the island of Kubao, yet they seemed to refer to themselves not as Isapanoles, but as Hutiyos. Perhaps these men were spies, yet they seemed to be pleading desperately in a language that the Sipikapia’s agents did not understand well.

After holding the captain of the boat on the ground at gunpoint for over an hour, Tuchutwa, the Sipikapia of Misia’s greatest port, stepped onto the ship. Tuchutwa was a native of Shawasha and a friend of the city’s previous Sipikapia who did not survive the war, and of all people, he was one to be bitter and distrustful of the Isapanoliaki. Still, his trauma and hatred had also driven him to ensure protection against these thalassocratic barbarians, and from books provided by the Ihnelish and captives taken during the war, he was able to intensively study and learn their language as well as anything else he could about their entire culture. As he stepped forward in his blue silk robe he instructed the agent in front of him to step to the side and ordered the captain to come up from the floor to his knees.

“Who are you?” the Sipikapia demanded. “Who sent you? Are you from Spain? Where are you from, and why are you here?”​

They’re Jewish refugees fleeing persecution in Spain; IOTL most went to the Ottoman Empire
Yes, they are Sephardic Jews, although keep in mind at this point most Jews fleeing for the Ottoman Empire have already done so. The Jews in question here are marranos that had been living in the Caribbean before the arrival of the inquisition, hence why the mention Cuba, or “Kubao” in Misian.

The next chapter will cover a number of things in the region most of this TL has been focused on so far. One of those things will be the increasing presence of Jews in the New World, and with diaspora history often being overlooked and Jewish history being my greatest area of expertise, I have been doing a lot of thinking about how such a community would interact in an entirely unique cultural setting.

Jews in Misia, cool!

What you called a mere filler was fairly interesting in my view. The irony of the Spaniards arming Tawantinsuyu and helping its expansion... A French Venezuela or Columbia, if I got it right, under Tawantinsuyu suzerainty, when the Tawantinsuyu themselves rely on the Iberian Union? All of that sounds fairly interesting to me!
I also notice you took a very conservative approach to European butterflies, leaving the English reformation and the Iberian Union unchanged from OTL. This may work for the 16th century to some degree, but the longer we move forward, the more questionable it really becomes.

Jews in Misia, cool!

What you called a mere filler was fairly interesting in my view. The irony of the Spaniards arming Tawantinsuyu and helping its expansion... A French Venezuela or Columbia, if I got it right, under Tawantinsuyu suzerainty, when the Tawantinsuyu themselves rely on the Iberian Union? All of that sounds fairly interesting to me!
I also notice you took a very conservative approach to European butterflies, leaving the English reformation and the Iberian Union unchanged from OTL. This may work for the 16th century to some degree, but the longer we move forward, the more questionable it really becomes.
Don't worry, big changes in Europe will come soon enough ;)

Yes, they are Sephardic Jews, although keep in mind at this point most Jews fleeing for the Ottoman Empire have already done so. The Jews in question here are marranos that had been living in the Caribbean before the arrival of the inquisition, hence why the mention Cuba, or “Kubao” in Misian.

The next chapter will cover a number of things in the region most of this TL has been focused on so far. One of those things will be the increasing presence of Jews in the New World, and with diaspora history often being overlooked and Jewish history being my greatest area of expertise, I have been doing a lot of thinking about how such a community would interact in an entirely unique cultural setting.

Mention the Jews and we will come.

So far this story is very cool, and I'm excited to see what's next. Native American TLs are always great.

Just a clarification: Has Misia basically conquered the Lower 48?

Mention the Jews and we will come.

So far this story is very cool, and I'm excited to see what's next. Native American TLs are always great.

Just a clarification: Has Misia basically conquered the Lower 48?
Thanks! And while I do concern myself with making sure this TL comes from the native lens as much as possible so it isn't just a story about Europeans finding and colonizing a different continent, I am still inclined to ask the age-old question that my ancestors have been asking for generations– is this good for the Jews?
And Misia's borders still more or less consist of that sort of meh-quality green map, although you can also get an idea looking at the medieval-style map. They control basically the Midwest and the south. Their control stretches from the plains to the Appalachians, but they also control parts of OTL Georgia, South Carolina, and a bit of North Carolina. The Haudenosaunee control New York, the Canadian heartland, and everything from Boston to Delmarva. The Wabanaki control the Northern portion of New England and the Maritimes. Tsenacommacah controls most of Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. Most of the Great Plains are nomadic. The Southwest is currently controlled by the Navajo (in this tl called the "Nabeho" or "Dinei"), and the San Francisco Bay Area and Central Valley are controlled by Dadacia. Those are basically the major players right now in the OTL lower 48.

Thanks! And while I do concern myself with making sure this TL comes from the native lens as much as possible so it isn't just a story about Europeans finding and colonizing a different continent, I am still inclined to ask the age-old question that my ancestors have been asking for generations– is this good for the Jews?
And Misia's borders still more or less consist of that sort of meh-quality green map, although you can also get an idea looking at the medieval-style map. They control basically the Midwest and the south. Their control stretches from the plains to the Appalachians, but they also control parts of OTL Georgia, South Carolina, and a bit of North Carolina. The Haudenosaunee control New York, the Canadian heartland, and everything from Boston to Delmarva. The Wabanaki control the Northern portion of New England and the Maritimes. Tsenacommacah controls most of Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. Most of the Great Plains are nomadic. The Southwest is currently controlled by the Navajo (in this tl called the "Nabeho" or "Dinei"), and the San Francisco Bay Area and Central Valley are controlled by Dadacia. Those are basically the major players right now in the OTL lower 48.

By "we will come" I was referring to Jewish AH posters lmao. As someone who also has a Colonial Jewish TL going on right now, you certainly have my attention.

France also being a fairly straight dealer at the now is not unexpected, they got on better than most with the natives in the Americas, though that was probably more due to low numbers of settlers and arriving after the more maritime-oriented powers had already established their holdings and were looking askance at anyone else joining the party.

Jewish refugees from the Spanish colonies is an interesting wrinkle.