What would a present day without World War 1 look like?

Essentially no Fascism, no Communism, no Art Deco, no Prohibition, no "Dieselpunk".

How do you think a world like this would evolve like in the 20th and 21st centuries?

People becoming increasingly sexually open and naturalistic, with an Art Nouveau style spreading its comfortable vines all over the place (Kinda like the Nightborne in World of Warcraft)?

Europe retaining its religiousity and America its traditional churches while Christian Fundamentalism is butterflied away?

The Ottoman Empire and the Arab World remaining in a better economic and social situation, retaining traditional Islamic culture instead of newfound Wahhabite fundamentalism?

Most countries of the world remaining old-school Republics, Kingdoms, and Empires?

What are your ideas? I can't help but to predict that such a world would be much better than OTL.

Even if archduke wasn't killed another thing would have just sparked another war. Europe was the brink of war so it depends on how to prevent any world war.

Even if archduke wasn't killed another thing would have just sparked another war. Europe was the brink of war so it depends on how to prevent any world war.

Maybe retain a stronger "Concert of Europe" system, or have some scientist or philosopher explain to national leaders that a war with modern technology would be too destructive both in human lives and societal ramfactions to ever attempt, kinda like an early version of the MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory.

It is interesting that Carl Jung, a post-Freudian psychologist of the times has been having Apocalyptic visions about the future in the early 1910s, probably triggered by witnessing the deteriorating social conditions of his time.

I feel that we still haven't recovered from WWI.

Another interesting thing about the Archduke's assassination is that Fate seemed to always intervene in Gavrilo Principe's plans, as if some divine power didn't want for him to succeed and trigger our OTL, but unfortunately he eventually succeeded.

Last edited:
Though if we just take away all the tension in Europe, here's what I think would happen:

• Colonialism would still be around maybe up until the 80s as Europe would have not beat itself to death.
  • The United States would have never become a superpower and remain isolationist.
  • The Ottoman and Austrian Empire would have still collapsed (Might survive into the 1930s or 50s.) They were still weakened from nationalism in their nations and their governments were corrupt.
  • Communism and Fascism would probably remain as fringed ideologies. I am unsure if a Russian Revolution would have happened but I assume Nicolas would have been less hated by his people than he was in OTL 1917.
  • 105 Million people would have not died, thus placing the World population at 7.9/8 Billion. (Ruff estimate)
  • Women's rights to vote would have taken longer in many countries since we saw many of them enter the workplace.
  • Technology would be less advance as the space race never occurred.
  • There would be more monarchies than there are today. World War 1 effectively ended Monarchies.
  • The Japanese Empire would still be around. I'm sure if they would still keep Korea. Also, Anime and K-pop would probably not exist (That's either a blessing or a cursed depending on the person)
  • War on terror won't happen. No skyes-picot to create Islamic extremism and no communism that would overthrow the king of Afghanistan.
  • Not sure if this would affect the civil rights movement or the LGBTQ one.
  • More might be added.

My history teacher used to tell me 'necessity is the mother of invention'. I think without the World Wars, humanity's technological progress would be substantially impeded.

• The airplane was seen as a novelty before World War I. Without that war, the development of aviation is much slower. Little research is done into their impact on the battlefield, so we might see a much later introduction of airplanes into warfare. Manfred von Richtofen and the other air aces of the time are erased from the history books. Yes, the airplane was first used as a weapon in the Italo-Turkish War, but World War I was the first war in which planes were consecrated as a necessary evolution of warfare. Private enterprises would still experiment with aircraft.
  • The rocket was first put into action by the Nazis during World War II in the form of the V-1 flying bomb and the V-2 rocket, said rocket was the first manmade object to reach space. While I don't doubt Von Braun would be able to invent the rocket in this timeline's Germany, you can kiss the Space Race and everything it spawned goodbye. Man would reach the moon far later in our timeline, which means space exploration is hampered significantly. NASA doesn't exist, because I think Germany would be ahead of everyone when it comes to space exploration.
  • The tank comes later in our timeline, because there is no need for a massive 'battleship on wheels' without the attrition of World War I. The British Mark tanks, the A7vs, they don't exist except for drawings on some board somewhere in London or Berlin.
  • The Spanish flu doesn't exist. The people who died still live full lives. But, our knowledge about medicine is impeded. Oswald Avery was studying bacteria as a result of the Spanish flu. Specifically, how it changed from one that didn't have hard coding into one. 20 years later, he discovered DNA. Many peopled believe Pfeiffer's Besillius caused the flu, so research into that never happens. This prevents Alexander Fleming from discovering penicillin. Bacterial infections remain untreatable for a longer period of time. More people die from what in our timeline are treatable illnesses. In 1998, it was discovered that the strain of flu which caused the Spanish flu was avian flu. Without the Spanish flu pandemic, we don't have a century of exposure to avian flu. It can easily strike in this timeline with a vengeance. Imagine this happening in the late 20th Century or the early 21st Century. The pandemic also aided the Indian independence movement in gaining prominence by exposing the gap between British overlords and their subjects.
  • World War I effectively destroyed the 19th Century idea of chivalrous warfare with soldiers marching in columns towards the battlefields and officers waving sabres and all that nonsense. Without the brutality of World War I, warfare is not seen as this gory, inhumane experience. It is still seen as honourable and worth having.
  • The colonial empires exist for much longer. The world wars effectively destroyed the colonial empires of Britain and France. Decolonization would still happen, but I think it would be much bloodier than in our timeline. More atrocities would be carried out against Africans, though hopefully, not on the scale of Leopold II.
  • Assuming Franz Ferdinand survives Sarajevo in this timeline, it's a coin toss as to whether the United States of Greater Austria is a success or it just results in the Empire collapsing. In that case, you would have this timeline's equivalent of the Yugoslav Wars, right in the middle of Europe. Atrocities and genocides abound.
  • The Ottoman Empire falls apart in the '20s or '30s. Arabs, Kurds and dozens of other ethnic groups battle it out for territory. Colonial interference by Britain, France and Germany is almost guaranteed. There would probably be a Israel since I don't see the support of a Jewish state stopping because of a lack of a world war.
  • It takes longer for some countries to establish national identities. Australia and New Zealand first gained their sense of true nationhood during World War I, with the Gallipoli campaign playing a great part in this. So, Australia and New Zealand would be delayed in their national development and some aspects of their governance is still delegated to Britain.
  • The United States never becomes a world superpower. It remains in isolation, extending it's influence over Central and South America. It may extend some influence in the Pacific, but not much compared to Britain, France and Germany
  • Organizations related to internationalism such as still exist, but a world-spanning organization like the League of Nations or the UN probably don't. The UN, however useless the core organization may be, has many agencies that do genuine good work, especially when it comes to dealing with refugees and helping people in need. That good work in places like Africa and the Middle East never happens.
  • Internationalist concepts such as 'human rights' never take off or take much longer to stick. That concept, in particular, was given international prominence by atrocities such as the Armenian Genocide and the Holocaust. So, we could see a lot more human rights abuses in this timeline.
  • The success of social movements such as woman's suffrage are delayed. The Representation of the People Act of 1918 (which allowed women over the age of 30 who were married to a member of the Local Government Register to vote) and the Parliament (Qualification of Women) Act 1918 (which allowed women to be elected to Parliament) were passed in February and November 1918, respectively. The government put in a limit on how many women could vote by making the voting age for women to be 30, while men could be vote as young as 21, this was due to the catastrophic loss of men to the war which the government feared could lead to women to replacing men as the majority of the electorate. The RPA Act alone allowed 8.4 million women to gain the vote. The Representation of the People Act 1928 (which allowed for universal suffrage) added five million more women to the vote.

As long as that male electorate is well-sustained, I don't see the government being persuaded to undertake female suffrage. Also, seeing women put their lives on the line for the war effort caused anti-suffragette sentiment to decline, so with no war, society is still hesitant to support female suffrage due to the prevailing attitudes of the time and because the male electorate is still alive and thriving.

1598232608191.png

xsampa

Banned
Maybe the colonies industrialize because empires don’t want to deal with high tariff barriers.

Maybe retain a stronger "Concert of Europe" system, or have some scientist or philosopher explain to national leaders that a war with modern technology would be too destructive both in human lives and societal ramfactions to ever attempt, kinda like an early version of the MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) theory.

It is interesting that Carl Jung, a post-Freudian psychologist of the times has been having Apocalyptic visions about the future in the early 1910s, probably triggered by witnessing the deteriorating social conditions of his time.

Another interesting thing about the Archduke's assassination is that Fate seemed to always intervene in Gavrilo Principe's plans, as if some divine power didn't want for him to succeed and trigger our OTL, but unfortunately he eventually succeeded.

Got that right, brother :) Nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms....

Science is more advanced in some areas than others. One cause is the amount of possible inventors/geniuses not killed. Another is places like the Kaiser Whilhelm Institute does not suffer the brain drain in the 20s and 30s because of ideology.

Lots of multi engine passenger aircraft were prototypes just before the war started, Sikorsky’s Ilya Mouomets is a good example, these were stunted because of the need for single engine fighter types in WW1.

BAttleships last longer until viable means to render them obsolete. Carriers using wheeled landing gear don’t start being developed or used as early, seaplane support vessels would be the norm for both civilian and military use. Submarines stay a niche weapon until proven in combat by a major power.

Rockets could actually be more advanced with the work of Goddard and the German civilian programs.

Only if you blame the Second Reich for the onset of the Great War... which, as you are no doubt aware of by now, not all of us on here buy into ;)
One doesn’t have to believe that the German Empire was responsible for WWI to understand that the unification of Germany was a huge “system shock” to the post-Napoleonic that came to be known as the Concert of Europe

One doesn’t have to believe that the German Empire was responsible for WWI to understand that the unification of Germany was a huge “system shock” to the post-Napoleonic that came to be known as the Concert of Europe
Agreed... but Bismarck had his own system for preserving peace in Europe... worked pretty well for almost 30 years, not a bad run as far as Europe goes....

Starforce

Banned
Without the millions of deaths, extreme ideologies like communism and fascism I imagine the world to be calmer in the modern era. There would likely have been some war at some point, but I think it would be a better world currently.

In any case, the Concert of Europe, while it was a noble concept, couldn't have lasted forever.... simply too many conflicting ambitions on the part of all of the major powers. And while it lasted, it wasn't consistently successful in staving off conflicts between the Great Powers... Crimea jumps to mind immediately for me....