"What Madness Is This?" Volume II: Prophecies in the Dark

Love that sneaky “Barb Weir” reference. Is he part of the literary group The Jev-Blessed Dead?

Actually not sure what you mean, lol. Barbara Weir was a 1.0 news broadcaster host who was just a funny haha about barbed wire. She has been mentioned by fans once or twice in the EU thread too so I figured I'd bring 'er back.

Actually not sure what you mean, lol. Barbara Weir was a 1.0 news broadcaster host who was just a funny haha about barbed wire. She has been mentioned by fans once or twice in the EU thread too so I figured I'd bring 'er back.
Oh, and here I thought she was reference to "Barb Wire", the Pam Anderson B-movie.
Say, does anyone have an idea on how to make SPUD in real life (minus the pig brains, of course)?
McDonalds hash browns and a fuckton of bacon grease?

Say, does anyone have an idea on how to make SPUD in real life (minus the pig brains, of course)?

Closest thing I can think of if you wanna do it homemade:

Cook about a half pound of bacon in the skillet, make sure it's crispy. You want a lot of pork fat in that skillet.

Either slice some potatoes (for the puck shape described in the initial Cackalack recipe) or shred them (for more of a hashbrown type consistency)

Dump them in your bacon fat soaked skillet and fry.

Salt to taste.

Alternately, to be super true to the initial Cackalack recipe featuring cold pork fat:

Cook bacon, let the skillet cool to the point where the fat is warm but still liquid, pour into a safe container, and refrigerate. Later on (bacon fat can last awhile) cook sliced or shredded potatoes in the cold bacon fat.

EDIT: For authenticity, crumble fresh bacon into your fat fried potatoes regardless of how you cook them.

Last edited:
I'm writing my own timeline, and I was wondering if anyone had tips on pacing. Madness has really great pacing, largely in regards to the 19th century.

Closest thing I can think of if you wanna do it homemade:

Cook about a half pound of bacon in the skillet, make sure it's crispy. You want a lot of pork fat in that skillet.

Either slice some potatoes (for the puck shape described in the initial Cackalack recipe) or shred them (for more of a hashbrown type consistency)

Dump them in your bacon fat soaked skillet and fry.

Salt to taste.

Alternately, to be super true to the initial Cackalack recipe featuring cold pork fat:

Cook bacon, let the skillet cool to the point where the fat is warm but still liquid, pour into a safe container, and refrigerate. Later on (bacon fat can last awhile) cook sliced or shredded potatoes in the cold bacon fat.

EDIT: For authenticity, crumble fresh bacon into your fat fried potatoes regardless of how you cook them.
If someone makes this, please tell the rest of us what it tastes like. I'm incredibly curious.

Crazy idea. Not sure how many takers.

Oswald writes his own Zap Zephyr story, but it’s not just any story. It’s the sequel to Patton‘s story. Oswald destroys Patton’s propaganda weapon by making Zep Zephyr kill the Worm and turn it into a propaganda tool the other way,symbolically killing Patton again. Maybe with Zephyr killing some wheel chair bound evil mastermind of the Worm.

though it could just be that I still want Oswald to discover his father prevented him from writing Zap Zephyr and kill him afterwards and this would make a great way for him to discover that if the story he writes includes elements of the stories he wrote and submitted years ago.

Oh wow I completely misunderstood then haha. I thought it was a reference to Bob Weir from the Grateful Dead. The barbed wire pun is really good though

Oswald writes his own Zap Zephyr story, but it’s not just any story. It’s the sequel to Patton‘s story. Oswald destroys Patton’s propaganda weapon by making Zep Zephyr kill the Worm and turn it into a propaganda tool the other way,symbolically killing Patton again. Maybe with Zephyr killing some wheel chair bound evil mastermind of the Worm.

though it could just be that I still want Oswald to discover his father prevented him from writing Zap Zephyr and kill him afterwards and this would make a great way for him to discover that if the story he writes includes elements of the stories he wrote and submitted years ago.
That sounds like exactly the kind of thing he would do.

The entirety of America survives exclusively on Slog's wisely-marketed organ meat products, otherwise they'd all die from all the drugs and bullshit they consume. Nose to tail, gentlemen!

On the other hand, God forbid if one of the pigs for SPUD develops a prion disease spontaneously...

The entirety of America survives exclusively on Slog's wisely-marketed organ meat products, otherwise they'd all die from all the drugs and bullshit they consume. Nose to tail, gentlemen!

On the other hand, God forbid if one of the pigs for SPUD develops a prion disease spontaneously...
Honestly a small-scale scare (either in NUSA or somewhere overseas) could inspire a huge drive in America for extremely strict animal health and welfare laws! The constriction of the meat supply that would follow a sudden requirement for more humane care would be offset by the fact that Americans are now socialized to eat every part of the animal, plus it would be another weird oddly positive development in the fascist dystopia! It's ironic the Clans are excited Oswald's going to take the leash off when we know that regulations are going to actually become more strict as the process moves from the President to the Supreme Chiefs, and I figure that the meat industry becoming more tightly regulated fits neatly into that category.

It's ironic the Clans are excited Oswald's going to take the leash off when we know that regulations are going to actually become more strict as the process moves from the President to the Supreme Chiefs
I suppose that they are happy because the massive profits they gain from the country switching to a truly consumer-focused economy would more then offset whatever extra costs in regulations they would incur.

Only for further irony he ends up having become a way worse writer in the interim and It ends up being a massive flop nobody likes and only reads because they are scared of Oswald whose completely oblivious and thinks everybody geniunely is in love with it

Only for further irony he ends up having become a way worse writer in the interim and It ends up being a massive flop nobody likes and only reads because they are scared of Oswald whose completely oblivious and thinks everybody geniunely is in love with it
"Nothing bad gets published by the Kennedys Oswalds!"

Alternatively, he finds an old story idea of his he wrote as a child and sends it in (under a pseudonym, of course). It gets rave reviews and that encourages Chuck to send in another new script he’s just written, only for it to end up being absolutely savaged by the Zap Zephyr equivalent of Stan Lee about how awful it is. Cue mental JFK laughing and mocking Chuck as he slips deeper into Madness

Last edited:
Alternatively, he finds an old story idea of his he wrote as a child and sends it in (under a pseudonym, of course). It gets rave reviews and that encourages Chuck to send in another new script he’s just written, only for it to end up being absolutely savaged by the Zap Zephyr equivalent of Stan Lee about how awful it is. Cue mental JFK laughing and mocking Chuck as he slips deeper into Madnesa
Oh thats epic. I assume he kills the critic?