Say, Napoleon53, what are the RU's views on Protestants from Catholic-majority countries such as Ireland and France?

I would expect the Union to welcome those fleeing from Papist Oppression. Especially if they have valuable skills or wealth that they can contribute. Even without that I think the Union would provide some sort of support such as land grants, low cost loans etc to Protestant Refugees.

I would expect the Union to welcome those fleeing from Papist Oppression. Especially if they have valuable skills or wealth that they can contribute. Even without that I think the Union would provide some sort of support such as land grants, low cost loans etc to Protestant Refugees.

Alternatively, under Joseph Steele he may begin mass purges of peoples from these countries for being possible "closeted papists" for justification similar to how if I remember certain ethnic groups were treated in the USSR like Koreans were deported for being possible Japanese spies, etc.

I'm back to normal guys!

Say, Napoleon53, what are the RU's views on Protestants from Catholic-majority countries such as Ireland and France?

From France they would be accepted, as they can't really say French is a "race." They're probably just expected to immediately lose their accents and learn English.

From Ireland, an Inferior is an Inferior. They might be less harsh on them but they still would be segregated. My guess is the Union might invent BS about the Irish Protestants actually being Scots to let them into the Betters of Society.

I'm back to normal guys!

From France they would be accepted, as they can't really say French is a "race." They're probably just expected to immediately lose their accents and learn English.

From Ireland, an Inferior is an Inferior. They might be less harsh on them but they still would be segregated. My guess is the Union might invent BS about the Irish Protestants actually being Scots to let them into the Betters of Society.
I thought French were viewed as Papist inferiors?
Also, so does that mean that non-Irish Celts (such as Welsh, Scots, and Bretons) are accepted?

I thought French were viewed as Papist inferiors?
Also, so does that mean that non-Irish Celts (such as Welsh, Scots, and Bretons) are accepted?

John Calvin has been mentioned several times as a role model for the Union, such as Marx's assistant Calvin John Featherston. They're undeniably white and too many people in America have French ancestry to make it feasible to round them all up. But if they're Catholic, they're immediately Inferior. It's mainly only for distant ancient ancestry or French families well-known for long-standing Protestant ancestry, like Huguenauts (and these people have to be willing to anglicize their names and learn English or face intense persecution. ("Why don't you speak English if y'all like it hear so much!")

America was basically founded by Protestant Scotch-English Germanics, so Scotland is okay. There's no way to ban Scots without having to annihilate half the population.

So basically, not everything has to make perfect sense. Self-satisfied totalitarian dictatorships usually have all sorts of bizarre rules. One of my main ways of thinking is the government keeps charts later on Mormon-style so they know everyone's ancestry. They only let you marry if they think it'll wipe out any "Inferior" bloodline. Aka the Nazis and "The blood can handle a certain amount of Jewishness" idea I've heard kicked around before by those not racially pure but loyal to the party.

CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 20
THE GREEN MOUNTAIN WAR

hqdefault.jpg

Vermont troops defend against the Yankee invaders

When Goodyear signaled for the attack on Vermont, it was more of a finalization than an order. For months, Union spies had been scoping out the backwoods buffer state, readying for when the Chief Consulate signaled for an invasion. The annoying land-locked libertarian nation-state had a painfully small military and its independence this long had only been because of French assistance. Goodyear and the Union government knew, unless they wanted a war against the mightiest empire on earth, that a quick, decisive and overwhelming invasion of Vermont would be the best strategy.

Thus, the Republican Union flexed its military muscles for the first time. The Southron republics had done it in the Dissolution of Spain, so now the Union would do it in the Subjugation of Vermont. The Union government had prepared absolutely everything in advance, and even had men ready to be "military mayors" of all the important Vermont towns. The Yankees had a well-oiled military machine for the first time in their history.

On October 1st, 1832, 30,000 Union soldiers crossed the border under the command of General Franklin Pierce and trampled the enemy. The Vermonter troops fought bravely, but they were outnumbered thirty-to-one and stood no chance. By the passing of one month, the entire Green Mountain Republican Army had been defeated, but militias still were holding out and fighting back. The militias adopted a skull-and-crossed-bones flag as the symbol of the resistance and practiced brutal torture and murder against all captured Union soldiers, usually leaving their bodies hanging on trees upside-down or impaled on sharpened logs. Pierce reported back to Philadelphia in a message that, "The hillwillies here practice the Black Flag Doctrine very well. They know--despite their ignorance on all other matters--that injecting fear and terror into their enemies is the best way to win a conflict. I dare say that I may instruct my own men to do the same if we aim to finish this affair before the Corsican Ogre pushes his meddling nose into this."

Pierce did indeed counter their heinous acts with his own, and the Union soldiers started arresting "hillwillies" (as they had begun to call any people of North America north of the R.U. border) at random and then, equally at random, massacring them upon the deaths or tortures of Union troops. Finally, though, the main resistance leaders were captured and shot and the Green Mountain Republic of Vermont was officially proclaimed an R.U. Military Territory. Any and all groups or organizations pushing for Vermont independence were proclaimed outlaws. The flying of the old green-white-and-blue flag was forbidden, and anyone flying or possessing the skull-and-bones banner in any form was to be executed immediately as an enemy of the Union and a terrorist.

By the time news reached Europe of the Subjugation, it was too late to do anything. Aside from France invading the Union, and most everyone knew that that would be preposterous, the chance of pushing the Union back was now gone. Caesar did, however, repeatedly warn the Union that France would immediately retaliate against any violation of Canadian sovereignty.

It was not long before the remnants of the militias ran to cover to reestablish themselves. "Skull-and-Bones" became a huge organization dedicated to fighting the occupation with everything they had. The Yankees had no idea that the group would prove to be a major headache for decades to come. Whenever the questions of statehood were brought up, the region always blew up again, making Vermont technically a dictatorship within the Union itself. It wouldn't be until the rise of the Manifest Destiny Party in the waning years of the 19th century that true and total assimilation would be forced on the Vermont people and the age of separatism would be over.

All in all, historians have rated the Union's performance in the invasion fairly well, saying that they had clearly outlined objectives and were determined to fulfill them. However, the loss of life during and even after the conquest was horrible, with some 9,000 Union and 29,000 Vermont casualties. Many have said that the Union deliberately fudged the numbers of the dead Vermonters and that backwoods massacres might make the number closer to 40,000. If this is true, than almost 20 percent of Vermont's 1832 population was killed in the Subjugation. The dark days of the Union had truly begun. The monster had been sated with a small snack. But it would soon start ravenously eyeing every remaining country in North America....

Last edited:
Love the new chapter Napo! Just one question.... Is General Polk very different from OTL? Because OTL's James Polk was a North Carolinian

Why this update so short

It was even shorter in the original TL. lol Honestly not much to say other than tiny Vermont gets its buttocks handed to them. It could honestly have been attached to the Berlin Congress chapter, but that chapter was 20 miles long already. The next update is much longer and about the rise of the New Slavery and corporatism.

EDIT: Yes, expect to see General Polk return! I want him to be a regular character.

It was even shorter than the original. lol Honestly not much to say other than tiny Vermont gets its buttocks handed to them. The next update is much longer and about the rise of the New Slavery and corporatism.

EDIT: Yes, expect to see General Polk return! I want him to be a regular character.
Yah when is that and I am dreading in horror for the next update

It was even shorter in the original TL. lol Honestly not much to say other than tiny Vermont gets its buttocks handed to them. The next update is much longer and about the rise of the New Slavery and corporatism.

Yah when is that and I am dreading in horror for the next update

I'm already shivering in fear.

"The Knox and Polk families were Presbyterian. While Polk's mother remained a devout Presbyterian, his father, whose own father Ezekiel Polk was a deist, rejected dogmatic Presbyterianism. He refused to declare his belief in Christianity at his son's baptism, and the minister refused to baptize young James.[2][4] Nevertheless, James' mother "stamped her rigid orthodoxy on James, instilling lifelong Calvinistic traits of self-discipline, hard work, piety, individualism, and a belief in the imperfection of human nature."

I also read that his family was very civil matters-minded and initially was from Maryland. I'm thinking his dad believes in Manifest Destiny and during the Fall of the Old Republic Polk's dad is one of the Crawfordites and they stay in the Union after the Fall. His mom coverts to AFC and she instills AFC principles in him. He could be one of the old school generals still puttering around when Custer takes power late-1800s. Almost a Hindenburg type.

Picture General James Polk and Commander Theodore Roosevelt of the Custer Youth Brigade appearing at Manifest Destiny Party rallies. It's badass. lol

"The Knox and Polk families were Presbyterian. While Polk's mother remained a devout Presbyterian, his father, whose own father Ezekiel Polk was a deist, rejected dogmatic Presbyterianism. He refused to declare his belief in Christianity at his son's baptism, and the minister refused to baptize young James.[2][4] Nevertheless, James' mother "stamped her rigid orthodoxy on James, instilling lifelong Calvinistic traits of self-discipline, hard work, piety, individualism, and a belief in the imperfection of human nature."

I also read that his family was very civil matters-minded and initially was from Maryland. I'm thinking his dad believes in Manifest Destiny and during the Fall of the Old Republic Polk's dad is one of the Crawfordites and they stay in the Union after the Fall. His mom coverts to AFC and she instills AFC principles in him. He could be one of the old school generals still puttering around when Custer takes power late-1800s. Almost a Hindenburg type.

Picture General James Polk and Commander Theodore Roosevelt of the Custer Youth Brigade appearing at Manifest Destiny Party rallies. It's badass. lol
He'd be almost 100 when Custer takes over, so he would most likely be dead for a decade or two when Custer takes over. Also, Polk's dad was born in North Carolina. His Grandfather, Ezekiel, moved there in 1753 (though actually it lied in South Carolina as was found out in 1772). Ezekiel then also served in the Continental Army in South Carolina during the American Revolution War. So it would be highly unlikely that Polk would have moved from the Confederation of the Carolinas. He'd most likely be Jackson's successor, not the man leading the RU's invasion of Vermont.

CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 21
THE RISE OF GOODYEAR ECONOMICS AND "THE NEW SLAVERY"

80130_goodyear_sm.gif

Charles Goodyear (circa 1835)

Needless to say, Charles Goodyear was incredibly popular in the Union and was held up as the "Ideal American" by the Union government. His racist, revanchist, xenophobic rantings made sure the scientific genius's portrait was hanging up in public schools around the country, right next to those of Henry Marx, Jesus Christ, Julius Caesar, and Queen Elizabeth I (who had recently experienced a new wave of popularity as an "anti-Spaniard Christian leader"). He was for all basic purposes a lunatic--a lunatic idolized by the masses and carried on shoulders into Boston upon his arrival from Berlin. His face was everywhere, and so too was his promise to Friedrich-Wilhelm III that America's industry would never be outdone.

Ever since its formation, the Republican Union had long been falling behind its neighbors in industrial matters. In 1820, the Union had ended slavery forever, largely to just annoy the Southrons and to show how "enlightened" they were. Most states of the Union had long voted to end slavery individually, but the Philadelphia Decree made it official. The Southron republics, meanwhile, still used black slaves in every facet of their economy and slave revolts were a terrifying reality, such as the 1828 First Slave Insurrection that was so brutally crushed by Zachary Taylor in Virginia.

In the Union in late 1833, Goodyear came to Philadelphia touting his new book, Plans for Rapid and Stable Industrial Growth and the Maximization of Profit. The long-winded treatise called for harsh immigrant labor and was read widely by government officials, who proclaimed it a masterpiece of economic He was brought before an Inter-State Committee to discuss how best to institute these ideas. With his pockets loaded with government money, Goodyear turned to Shicagwa, the growing Iowai port city on Lake Michigan, as his main target.

The way Goodyear abused the workers he hired was, in many ways, much worse than the treatment of those in actual slavery. In every company he owned, such as the Goodyear Shirt and Blouse Company factories, if a worker was a minute late, he or she could be beaten by company thugs armed with bludgeons. Any attempts to protest poor working conditions were promptly crushed. Goodyear became the "Caesar of Shicagwa" by 1835. True to the teachings of the Fourth Book of Manifest Destiny, he was determined to "work the devil out of the Inferiors."

The crazed industrialist was determined to crush the spirits of his foreign employees utterly. Starting in 1835, he launched wave after wave of new companies, many bearing his name, and moved into a palatial mansion in the Iowai countryside. To protect these new interests, he hired a mercenary army of "private eyes" to keep "law and order" at the disparate locations. Soon, simple company thugs at places like the Goodyear Shirt and Blouse Company and the Goodyear Tools Company were replaced by black-uniformed, baton-wielding corporate soldiers. Any attempt at forming any sort of labor unions were snuffed out by the mercenaries, and thus was born the "New Slavery" in the Union.

The New Slavery movement, its name christened by European opponents to the widespread rise of corporatism in the Union, arose from the bizarre mentality and outlook of Union citizens on foreigners, especially Catholics or Eastern Europeans, fueled by confirmation biases from the Fundamentalist Church and Scientific Marxism. Since the early 1820s, the government had been actively tricking impoverished Europeans into coming to the "Land of Opportunity." The way it worked was that Union agents would sail to Europe and outright lie to the poor people, and instruct them on how to cheaply travel to America. Many of these people, such as the young Serbian Dragomir Crncevic, spent all they had on the trip. Crncevic's story was later turned into a novel in Virginia and became a best-seller under the title Dragomir's Cabin.

The first portion of the book tells how Crncevic's parents and only brother were killed in the Great Wars of the Empire. Then, starving in the midst of the Serbian Famine of 1835, the young man meets an American named Theodore Jones, a traveling medicine and sideshow man and secret recruiting agent working for the Union, who promises him wealth and abundance in "Dear Old America." Fooled completely and with just enough money to make the trip as a crewman on a Union vessel in the Mediterranean, Dragomir sails to Boston.

Upon his arrival, though, he is met with hatred and slurs, and within two days of being a Union citizen has been mugged twice. Understanding little English, he is hired for menial labor by the new Boston-Shicagwa Rail Company, a new competitor of Goodyear Rail that is attempting to unite the eastern and western parts of the country with railroads. He is routinely beaten by Goodyear's mercenaries for sometimes no apparent reason. Finally, after attacking an abusive guard, both of his arms are broken and he is sent to the "Work Camps" in Chersonesus. There, at Camp Burr, he recovers from his injuries and is then forced to relocate to Shicagwa, to work on an the expansive construction site for the new town hall. There he joins a strike.

On July 4, 1837, the workers all lay down their tools. The mercenaries march in, carrying clubs, muskets and rifles. Goodyear sends company vice-president Samuel Morse in to order the workers to get back to work. When they refuse, Morse unhesitatingly orders the small army to begin beating the Inferiors and shooting breaks out, beginning the July 4th Massacre of 1837. Dozens go down in seconds, and Crncevic is hit in both legs by musket balls. Doctors haphazardly amputate the legs and he is then sent back to Camp Burr. There, for the last several months of his life, he sits in his "cabin"--actually a meager shack just big enough to lie down in--penning his story.

After he managed to get the writing smuggled out, he died of infection from his double amputation. The tragic biography sold like wildfire in the Southron republics, only beaten in sales by the Bible. Many international clubs and organizations were formed to press for reform in the Union, such as French Canada's "League of Friendship for the Oppressed Peoples of the Republican Union," but they did little actual good. The plight of the Inferiors was systematic now, and aside from a total civil war there was nothing that could be done to improve their lot.

The Union responded by decrying the book as "Southron subversive propaganda," and promptly outlawed it, claiming Dragomir was not even a real person and the author had actually been a subversive Southron anarchist. Then the government turned right around and gave Goodyear the honorary title of "Colonel," reflecting the high esteem in which they held the industrialist. Colonel Goodyear Enterprises was born, and from that point on Goodyear finally lost whatever remaining bits of morality he had. The only thing that mattered to him was profit and productivity. Brutality was the rule of the day, and absolutely nothing was to get in his way of modernizing the Yankee economy. Any forms labor unions might take were outlawed. Goodyear's mercenary forces grew in leaps and bounds, with uniformed thugs present at every factory ready to beat anyone who dared not work hard enough.

1310155576.jpg.CROP.rectangle-large.jpg

Goodyear mercenaries break up the Goodyear Carriage Company Strike of 1838

New_York_Draft_Riots_-_Harpers_-_beating.jpg

Irish Colonel Goodyear Enterprise workers in New York City are crushed by the NYPD (1844)

Goodyear was not the only industrialist to be making his way in the world at this time. Brigadier General Franklin Pierce, a New Hampshire gentleman and a hero of the Subjugation of Vermont, was opening up his own armaments company. He claimed to his family and friends that:

"During the war in Vermont we expended hundreds of thousands of munitions and only killed twenty thousand or so enemies. Before the invasion, we had some difficulty establishing enough stockpiles of ammunition and explosives and field pieces, as our dear Union has never fought an offensive war. This has me pondering as to the possibility of founding a national armaments company to supply our armed forces and make them ready for battle at any time, while also profiting immensely off of said battles and using the profits to fund research into better quality products. I am of a certain persuasion that this idea could be revolutionary following the Goodyear System. Munitions are one of the only commodities the Titan of Industry hasn't dipped his fingers into yet, and I may look into the possibility of creating this company myself."

Pierce was right, there was much to be gained by whoever secured contracts to outfit the Union Army. Springfield Armory, in Massachusetts, was the biggest and most powerful in the country, but it was still far from total monopoly. Various states and militias used locally produced weapons and rifles and carried a ersatz array of equipment and uniforms in general. Pierce knew if he were to make his dream a reality, he would have to buy out Springfield. He also knew that if he were to buy out Springfield he would need to do something revolutionary to come up with the money.

Pierce took his personal fortune and bought out the Seabrook Shipyard of Seabrook, New Hampshire. There he and a naval expert named Hunter Pitt developed the first ironclad warship in 1835. The ship was a fairly normal steam-powered vessel, but it was covered with sheets of iron on all its weakest points. It was quickly sold to the Union Navy and it was christened as the "R.U.S. Prophet's Will." The Prophet's Will was soon joined by sister ship, "R.U.S. Willard Crawford," and the profits started rolling in for an elated Pierce. The Navy bought a contract with Seabrook Shipyard to start the mass production of naval vessels. Pierce's first foot was in the door. By 1837, he was one of the richest men in the Union. Riding high, he went on to purchase some of the most prestigious naval production companies in America and then finally turned around and bought out the coveted Springfield Armory in 1839. On April 20, 1839, he renamed it and founded Pierce Munitions. An empire was born.

455px-FrankP-mounted.jpg

Franklin Pierce

All was not well, however, as Pierce's marriage to Jane Means Appleton was a rough one, with Jane being constantly ill and Franklin struggling with alcoholism. Jane was the daughter of Reverend Jesse Appleton, one of Aaron Burr's right hand men during the founding of the American Fundamentalist Church. Unbeknownst to almost everyone, Jesse Appleton was one of the original members of the highly-secretive Council of Jehovah, being known as "Brother Crow" and being elected as its first "Grand Wizard" in a midnight ritual in the countryside on the outskirts of Philadelphia. In addition to health and alcoholism problems, the marriage suffered a further setback when their second son Robert William died in 1839 in a freak train accident. However, their first son, Jesse Appleton Pierce, survived a near-fatal dose of typhus in 1840. Jesse Pierce would live to head the Colonel Pierce Munitions Company himself one day.

In 1841, Franklin Pierce opened up a slew of new factories across the nation, including one in Oshkosh, Michigania, and another in Shicagwa, Iowai. His dream of funding the Union military-industrial complex was achieved, even as he slunk further and further into alcoholism and cocaine lozenge addiction. Thanks to Pierce, the Union Army was finally as modern as any other and was more than ready to bring the fight to any enemy. He and Hunter Pitt had revolutionized naval construction and brought about the age of armored warships. As he sat in his headquarters office in Seabrook, hung over and popping pills, he was leaving millions upon millions of dollars to his son. When Jesse Pierce eventually succeeded him as CEO, he would befriend a certain man named Custer and help found a political party that would sweepingly change the Union at its very core.

Last edited:
He'd be almost 100 when Custer takes over, so he would most likely be dead for a decade or two when Custer takes over. Also, Polk's dad was born in North Carolina. His Grandfather, Ezekiel, moved there in 1753 (though actually it lied in South Carolina as was found out in 1772). Ezekiel then also served in the Continental Army in South Carolina during the American Revolution War. So it would be highly unlikely that Polk would have moved from the Confederation of the Carolinas. He'd most likely be Jackson's successor, not the man leading the RU's invasion of Vermont.

I actually was reading more about this before the last chapter, and so I created Franklin Pierce's character. It's much more interesting anyway.

I actually was reading more about this before the last chapter, and so I created Franklin Pierce's character. It's much more interesting anyway.
Franklin Piece is definitely more interesting. Also, glad to see another major company pop up as a Titan of Industry so it isn't just Goodyear lording over everyone like the classic.

Man is there any good part of the world?

Antarctica's probably pretty quiet, as long as you're not too close to a penguin rookery. Also, is Samuel Colt going to make an appearance at some point? This is right around the time he was making a name for himself OTL and I can see him or Elizabeth Jarvis (who had all the business acumen in that relationship) popping up at the Pierce works at some point down the line with some dreadful new innovation.