Based on discussion earlier in the thread about togas becoming what amounts to Pinnacle formal wear at insane inner circle MDP events, I'm now imagining everyone in a toga when Oswald comes strolling in dressed as some sort of gladiator with a goddamn American flag for a cape.
"You're insane! You'll destroy this country!"
"I AM THIS COUNTRY! The divine wrath of Jehovah fills my churning fluids!"
*Any fire in his eyes is metaphorical*

So I have this to say: having just watched The Boys, I have never seen a fictional character that would fit more in the Madnessverse than Homelander. He's charismatic, brilliant, utterly evil and immoral, with just enough fucked in the head thrown in. Plus Antony Starr played him with all the affable evil I'd expect from Steele or Oswald.

Speaking of superheroes, I noticed that are references to both Superman and Batman ITTL. I wouldn't be surprised if a major city either named Gotham, Coast City, or something relating to DC Comics shows up in the near future.

Last edited:

Worffan101

Gone Fishin'
You know, Homelander from The Boys is kind of...the Republican Union of superheroes.

A sociopathic, superficially cartoonishly patriotic monster who can switch between fatherly heroic propaganda image and calmly psychopathic violence in an instant, with serious maladjustment issues from an unpleasant childhood, hell, he even literally wears an American flag as a cape.

Kinda chilling now that I think about it.

You know, Homelander from The Boys is kind of...the Republican Union of superheroes.

A sociopathic, superficially cartoonishly patriotic monster who can switch between fatherly heroic propaganda image and calmly psychopathic violence in an instant, with serious maladjustment issues from an unpleasant childhood, hell, he even literally wears an American flag as a cape.

Kinda chilling now that I think about it.
Goddamn I like him even more now

Didn’t Germania get Balkanized?

it is to my knowledge? but perhaps some Freikorps/volunteer group thing in some chaos in eastern europe?

There's a "republican" and pro-Fascist West Germania under Wolfgang Kapp consisting mostly of the northern Rheinbund lands taken in the Great War; I assume most of Kapp's ground troops and police (secret or otherwise) can be described as "Freikorps", or have a similar flavor. Hilariously, nearly all of the prewar Nordreich is divided into Illuminist East Germania and Poland. The monarchy, or what's left of it, is holding out in Finland.

I know there's already an Illuminist flag a hundred pages upstream, but I always imagined the Illuminists' Minerval Owl as looking kinda like the logo of Drake's record label OVO-- it's a very clean logo, and resembles the owl hieroglyph. I made some not-very-copyright-friendly flags based on that (click thumbnails for full). Kind of like how Eastern Bloc emblems have similar iconography but use colors to distinguish nations, I imagine the national colors of the nation could be put on the wing.

upload_2019-8-15_20-46-45.png(East Germania) upload_2019-8-15_20-48-52.png (Russia) upload_2019-8-15_20-59-14.png (Poland)

They'd be hard to distinguish at a distance, though, which probably means you'd need separate military flags. And at some point you might run out of color combos what with there being so many red/blue/green/white flags, but maybe the later Illuminist states could have more divergent designs (China, Angola, Mozambique) while the "original 3" stick with the basic design (USSR flag).

The Boys looks fun, I guess I have something now to read/watch over the next few weeks :D

Last edited:

Worffan101

Gone Fishin'
The Boys looks fun, I guess I have something now to read/watch over the next few weeks :D
It is a glorious satire of the very aspects of American society that this TL's pop-culture elements so ruthlessly treat, and the acting is outstanding. Particularly Karl Urban's damaged superhero-killing antihero Billy Butcher and Anthony Starr's psychopathic, maladjusted, and PR-obsessed celebrity/superhero/supervillain Homelander.

It's also very much R-rated, containing moderately explicit (death by) sex and copious (and tbh somewhat unrealistically copious at some points) ultraviolence. The parts that hit hardest, though, are actually the less gory bits. Homelander's switch from fatherly "don't worry, little girl, everything will be OK!" to psychopathic "oh, well, can't save everybody, so we save nobody and pretend we couldn't do anything, better PR that way" is genuinely chilling.

The single best attempt at a superhero parody I've ever seen. Brutal, shocking, hilarious, and every single second has a thematically strong, eerily relevant point. Layers and layers to it, too.

I was a fan of Worm, so "don't meet your superheroes"-type stories are definitely something I've been looking for more of lmao

Also off topic, but I'd just like to say how much I love the name "Republican Union". It rolls off the tongue, and it's got the same sinister feeling as "Democratic People's Republic of Korea". And while the first part of the name harkens to the Roman connections of the consular system, the second tells you this country is a Union first and foremost. It may be Republican, or it may not-- what's it to you, Illuminist?

Last edited:
The parts that hit hardest, though, are actually the less gory bits. Homelander's switch from fatherly "don't worry, little girl, everything will be OK!" to psychopathic "oh, well, can't save everybody, so we save nobody and pretend we couldn't do anything, better PR that way" is genuinely chilling.
"Get back!" *eyes light up* GET THE FUCK BACK OR I WILL LASER EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!"

Don't forget though, most Yankee comics will be sci-fi, because who needs superheroes when you have President Steele and Oswald?
"The Fundamentalist American Christian scientists will unlock the true power hidden deep within our Precious Pinnacle Fluids and grant us the power to all become the greatest of Strong Men! With hard work, faith, and dedication, we all share soon share in a glorious future of super strong, super fast, super intelligent, super holy, American supermen!"

On a semi-related note, I imagine that the RU probably doesn't look too fondly on the idea of portraying crime outside of Inferior ghettos or recently conquered frontiers. Or when it does get portrayed, it's always depicted as something rare and "un-american". Comics probably couldn't get away with the likes of Gotham levels of crime unless centred on ghettos or set in Carolina

Unrelated, but disturbing revelation:

The RU's history and possible future looks remarkably like how most of my Civ 5 playthroughs as America go:

• Engage in slow, relatively peaceful expansion aside from skirmishes with tribal groups (barbarians in Civ) at the beginning of the game.
  • Brush up against a militaristic and aggressive foreign power who is agitated by my existence
  • Get invaded by said foreign power, watch as improvements get pillaged, outnumbered troops massacred, cities attacked and sometimes captured temporarily.
  • Beat back the foreign devils and usually take a chunk out of their empire
  • Vow to never let such a thing happen again, build massive scientific-military-industrial complex that puts me ahead of the competition
  • Engage in wars of aggression both near and far to claim resources needed for massive industrialization
  • Terrify world with aggressive behavior, double down as a result of hostility
  • Get nuclear weapons before anyone else
  • Use nuclear weapons prolifically, try and monopolize world's supply of uranium
  • Annihilate anyone who annoys me or has stuff I want
  • Plant the Stars and Stripes on the ashes of whatever is left

So I rewatched Barton Fink today and I have to say I bet Kissamee is just like Hollywood in that film...no not on fire with a screaming John Goodman...the other parts.

Drunken Southern Writers, Heads of the Company who will go from bowing to you if your the toast of Thearte to shouting at you the second you fuck up and shouty grumpy producers who are horrified they've been saddled with certain feature pictures. Also wrestling pictures, a lot of wrestling pictures.

And who knows given the way this universe works, maybe we will get John Goodman screaming "I'll Show You the Life of the Mind"* with a shotgun whilst a Hallway bursts into flames.

*Maybe it's an Illumanist mantra.