Weird question, @Napoleon53 , but what's the RU doing about any fossils that've been dug up? (asking because I'm a big paleontology guy and am shivering at the thought of the RU dealing with this continent's priceless prehistoric heritage)
Folk Stories about the Prophet killing these beasts to protect the RU and leaving the bones behind as a warning to anyone that dares threaten the RU?

Folk Stories about the Prophet killing these beasts to protect the RU and leaving the bones behind as a warning to anyone that dares threaten the RU?
I could see them beinv integrated into Paul Bunyon-type stories tbat emerged in the west prior to the American War. Maybe TTL Paul Bunyon could be a stalwart Vinlander or pre-Columbian white (Mormon type?) American who fought prehistoric monsters, bugaboos and Indians.

I could literally see them saying Dinosaurs are Leviathans from the Bible, as that is the standard Protestant Creationist view I myself was taught as a child. The more fun but more ridiculous version would be that they are demons cast to earth, bugaboos, etc, etc. lol

New chapter is going great! Hopefully up soon!

Worffan101

Gone Fishin'
I could literally see them saying Dinosaurs are Leviathans from the Bible, as that is the standard Protestant Creationist view I myself was taught as a child. The more fun but more ridiculous version would be that they are demons cast to earth, bugaboos, etc, etc. lol

New chapter is going great! Hopefully up soon!
There are some YECs who claim that God put dinosaurs into the Earth to test the faith of Right-Thinking Christians. That might be a good place to start. But what really scares the shit out of me is what the AFC will do with the fossils themselves.

CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 49
THE RISE OF HENRY FORD AND THE ECONOMIC CLAN SYSTEM
henry-ford.jpg

Some people believe in a balance of cosmic energy, a sort of "ying-yang" philosophy. These people say that there is a constant flow of karma through the universe, and many of these same people believe in reincarnation of the eternal soul. While Henry Ford was already 37 by the time of Charles Goodyear I's passing, he might as well have been his reincarnation. Truly, the same spirit of innovation and despotic control that kept Goodyear's heart pumping for a century also flowed through the Chief Technical Officer of Colonel Goodyear Enterprises. Henry Ford was virtually an adopted son and apprentice of Goodyear, and this incensed Charles Goodyear II. Some had even said that the elderly Colonel would skip his son in favor of Ford as CEO of CGE. Upon "Junior's" murder of his father and rise to power as CEO, he ousted Ford and his close associates from the company. No reason was given for the firing other than "a need for new blood."

Hell hath no fury like a Henry Ford scorned. But to understand the "Founder the Economic Clan System," we must first analyze his history and background from before his rise to prominence. Born July 30, 1863, in Crawford, Chersonesus. But it was not Crawford that interested the young Henry, but rather the bustling boomtown of Shicagwa, Iowai, just 300 miles to the southwest. All through middle and high school, Ford desired to be the next great inventor and build his own company with his bare hands. To him, Crawford City was far too small. In 1880, Ford, age just 17, hopped aboard a train with just twenty silver eagles and a worn out suit. Upon his arrival in the city of his dreams, he immediately went to work trying to find himself a dignified job as a bank teller or the like that would give him the capital to buy a house and get moving on building the next great company. Instead, however, he found himself working as a literal trash man, driving a wagon all day and night trying to keep the streets of the massive city clean. This exhausted him physically and disgusted him beyond words. This was not the dream he was supposed to achieve. It was Inferior work. And to top it off, the wagons they used to haul the trash in were rotting out and were sometimes fifty or sixty years old, veritable Theseus Ships of trash. The mules relieved themselves all over the street and were stubborn and usually refused to budge if they were feeling ornery.

Finally, something clicked in young Ford's head when he went to a street fair and saw an exhibit of "amazing automatons," robot-like creations which could perform menial tasks and move crudely for entertainment. But it was not automatons which Ford was interested in, but rather the moving parts inside. He had heard of the idea of horseless carriages, such as young Rudolf Diesel inventions in the papist Rheinbund, but these were far from perfect. Jotting down ideas as they came to him, almost as if by divine inspiration, Ford began to formulate the idea of the modern autocarriage. With such an invention, the streets would be kept cleaner and safer.

Immediately, Ford took what little savings he had and applied for a patent on the design. For the next several months, he kept working as a trash man, making his rounds in 12 to sometimes 16 hour shifts. But his big break was coming. In November of 1885, at last young Ford received a telegram to the boarding house room he lived in at the time. It was from Colonel Goodyear Enterprises. According to the message, CGE agents liked to inspect newly registered patents to see if any were worth buying. Impressed by Ford's design for the autocarriage, he was summoned to appear before the Board of Directors to pitch his idea. An elated young man humbly came before the board at the Shicagwa headquarters, but was shocked and mortified to see Colonel Goodyear himself sitting at the head of the table.

"The Pinnacle Man, a true Anglo-Saxon titan, sat before me. Flanked on either side of the table by rows of stern-looking men in tight suits and even tighter collars, the Colonel still looked fantastic for his age. His full head of snow-white hair was swept back, his brows furrowed in concentration. His white suit set him apart from all the others. Even his shoes were white as snow. I was simply mortified by the prospect of having to pitch my silly ideas to the great Colonel, the very man who forged our nation from the ashes of 1812. But then I told myself he was here for a reason, and that he wouldn't waste his time listening to a such a young lad as I if he didn't already think I might be on to something. So I set up my charts on the easel, wiped the nervous sweat off my brow, and pitched my idea like I was selling holy salvation."

- Henry Ford in his autobiography, The Climb: The Henry Ford Story (1940)

At the end of the pitch, there was nothing but silence. Every single man present, some 20 of them, were simply waiting for the Colonel to voice his opinion before they dared state their own. At last, the elderly businessman came to his feet and said, "Gentlemen of the board, I see before me more vision in one hour from a young man not even a quarter my age than I have seen from all of you in months. Hire this man immediately and give him full creative control over designing these autocarriages."

Henry Ford's life changed faster than he could possibly keep up with. Seemingly every second of the day was now invested in creating the Henry Ford CGE Autocarriage Factory. One after the other, the iron and wooden beasts rolled into the lots, using Ford's famous assembly line technique. Only the wealthy could afford these new inventions at first, but everyone saw the potential. The latest status symbol of the wealthy Betters around the city swept the nation. However, something else was about to make headlines.

When war broke out with Mexico in 1886, CGE began shifting its production to war-time resources, and that meant autocarriages, a symbol of wealthy Better frivolity, were now unnecessary luxuries. Overnight, Ford's dream was crushed, and he was told the factory would begin manufacturing wagons and artillery shells. But Ford was not a man to languish in defeat. Instead, he began formulating a new design for the autocarriage. In mid-1886, Ford presented to the Board his plans for a "mobile artillery buggy." On the back of this rugged version of his autocarriage was a grinder gun, supported by armored suspension and thick rubber tires. The front sported a brand new motor capable of speeds around 45 miles per hour. These vehicles would be used to push the American advance onward with shock and surprise. The design of these vehicles was not nothing short of revolutionary, but they were also very expensive.

At first, the plan was rejected as too costly. However, Ford gifted two of these buggy prototypes to the 13th ORRA Infantry to test their usefulness in combat. During a skirmish at a small village some 100 miles north of Mexico City, the buggies swept onto the field, engines roaring and grinders blasting, immediately causing the Mexican defenders to flee in terror. As they fled, the gunners would open up again, shooting them in the back. Private Theodore Birch, the first man to drive an armored autocarriage into combat, remarked that "It was like a turkey shoot. They didn't even try to fight back. My tail gunner was mowing them down so fast that he ran out of ammunition. That was my only complaint." Almost immediately, the Union government ordered 500 more armored buggies. The 13th ORRA Infantry became the 13th ORRA Mechanized Infantry, and by the wars end they were actually largely in charge of the killing fields in the Sonora desert that would see millions of Mexican gunned down like chained animals. The buggies were crucial, enabling speedy retrieval of escaping prisoners, many of whom would come back strapped to the hood like deer. From that point on, the 13th became known as the unit which new technology would be tested with, giving them the nickname "The Bad Luck Brigade." They would carry this nickname ironically for generations. Another large user of the armored buggies was the Overton Agency, a mercenary army hired by CGE during their occupation of Hawaii during the Japanese War.

T8armoredCarUSA.jpg

An officer of the 13th ORRA Mechanized "Bad Luck Brigade" walks beside a Ford-produced artillery buggy (circa 1887)

Henry Ford was jubilant. Thanks to his push for the usage of buggies in the war, thousands of servicemen now experienced the thrill of hurtling down the road in a horseless, steel, gasoline-powered deathtrap at 45 miles per hour. And coming back home at the war's end, they wanted one for their own. Several civilian models were released. First was the 1889 Patriot Model, a decent quality, more affordable autocarriage for the upper-middle class. The trend exploded in the 1890s, with autos becoming more and more common. More troops drove them during Splendidfaith's overthrow of the Japanese Emperor. Now, Holy Nippon was another market for Ford to exploit. As the cash came rolling in, there was only one major obstacle for Ford: his boss's son.

Charles Goodyear II despised Ford on a deep, personal level, and saw him as a threat to his supremacy following his father's impending demise. It could be argued that the close bond that formed between Colonel Goodyear and Ford is partially what drove Goodyear II to heave his old man off a blimp in the first place in 1900. As the new century dawned, and as Charles Goodyear's earthly remains now consisted of a red smear on the countryside, Ford found himself ousted from his job as Chief Technical Officer of CGE. Angry, frustrated, and wanting revenge, Ford took his own personal fortune and founded the Ford Motor Company in 1901. In 1903, he released the first Ford Boltcat. The design was comfortable, safe, and reliable. The true auto revolution had begun. Ford was now a titan in his own right, and under his own name.

Within the Custer administration, rumors flew about the potential that Goodyear II had murdered his father, but nothing could be definitively proven. Faced with no other options, Custer accepted Goodyear II as CEO of CGE, but snubbed him at the same time, appointing Ford to the position of Colonel of the Union and awarding him the Order of Patriotic Service Medallion, the highest award offered to a civilian. This enraged Goodyear so much that he actually contemplated, in secret, of having Ford assassinated.

This began the long and storied history of the industrial underground in America, long network and maze of economic and industrial espionage, sabotage, killings, threats, bribery, and extortion. Some say the May 5, 1905, Ford Motor Factory explosion was, in fact, a deliberate assassination attempt from CGE upon Ford. Ford, feeling he needed to retaliate and show Goodyear he was not afraid of him, then had Goodyear's mistress Gertrude Simpson kidnapped and held for ransom in Shicagwa. When the ransom money arrived with a crew of CGE enforcers to make the deal, something went very, very wrong. Ford-hired Overton men opened fire on the CGE thugs, or perhaps the other way around. Local military police, corrupt and paid off, were nowhere to be seen, literally accepting bribes from both parties involved to stay out of the conflict. Simpson was killed in the crossfire and her death so enraged Goodyear that he had Ford's favorite racehorse, Lucky Lewis, killed. On the morning of July 1, 1905, Ford awoke to discover Lucky Lewis's severed head at the foot of his bed. Screaming and cursing, he ordered his Overton boys to immediately launch an assault on the CGE headquarters in Shicagwa. Later that morning, a wagon parked beside the CGE HQ exploded into a massive fireball, killing 5 men and wounding several others. As the newspapers blamed this industrial feud on "Inferior anarchists," the public was blissfully unaware that two of the most respected men in the country were literally waging a war against each other. Knowing he could never be safe again, Ford and his board of directors fled the city, traveling North to none other than Ford's old hometown of Crawford City, Chersonesus. There, somewhat out range for CGE, he began building the city up in his own image, proclaiming it to be "Motor City." He began working closely with Rudolf Kuhn's Pentagon Oil Company, headquartered in Custer City, Texas, which controlled much of the oil and gas for the nation and owned most oil pumps from Texas to Panama.

Kuhn could also not stand Goodyear II but revered Colonel Goodyear, and saw Colonel Ford as someone more in the vein of his late hero. Kuhn was a small, unimposing man, but his word was Gospel south of the Mason-Dixon, and he commanded a large workforce of menial labor Inferiors, Better skilled laborers, and hired thugs. Another large shareholder in Pentagon Oil was none other than George Carver, the CEO of the Sweet Victory Company. However, opposing Kuhn was Edwards Oil (later known as Eds-Oil), with CEO Jeffrey Edwards, a close confidante of Goodyear II and who disliked Kuhn's growing monopoly on government oil contracts. Then came Old Kinderhook, the old lion of New England, under President Eugene Horace Van Buren, grandson of the founder Martin Van Buren. Family Van Buren was one of the most dominant families of New England, and their old-blood code of conduct disliked the increasingly violent nature of business in the Union and wanted to see a return to some sort of normalcy.

250px-Leopoldalbany.jpg

Eugene Horace Van Buren, President of Old Kinderhook Industries

In August of 1908, Old Kinderhook representatives offered to negotiate a talk between Goodyear II and Colonel Ford. The men would agree to an unarmed meeting in the stately Van Buren Manor in Kinderhook, New York. This would become known as the Summer Slaughterhouse of Aught-Eight. The meeting was allegedly progressing quite well, with Ford and Goodyear ranting for several hours and then slowly beginning to feel disgust give way to sensibility, as the constant fighting was just bad for business. Arguing it was just in their best interest to finally set aside their animosities and deal with their problems like gentlemen of uncommon stature, a final peace treaty seemed likely. However, everything suddenly spiraled out of control. The meeting was taking place in the Van Buren Manor banquet hall, in the center of the century-old building. Seemingly out of nowhere, masked men in black suits and derby hats entered the banquet hall with shotguns, opening fire on both Ford and Goodyear employees alike. The Goodyear and Ford representatives, unarmed for the meeting as per the terms, were helpless and fled in terror as the assassins began making the banquet hall run red with blue blood. Ford himself received a stray handgun round to the left leg. Over 30 men and women laid dead. At the end of the table, a bullet lodged in his left lung, Goodyear was face-down in a pool of his own blood, the crimson juice flowing off the edge of the Cuban mahogany table. Charles Goodyear II was dead.

Almost immediately, the massacre became one of the largest news stories ever. The Philadelphia Times ran the headline "GOODYEAR DEAD! MASKED GUNMEN BLAST BAKER'S DOZEN BUSINESSMEN IN NY!" while the Shicagwa Tribune screamed "ASSASSINS MURDER GOODYEAR AT VAN BUREN MANOR - FORD MAKES DARING ESCAPE." No one had any real idea who the assassins were, and no one was ever arrested for the crime. This didn't stop both Ford and Goodyear's new successor, Ichabod Goodyear, his first cousin, from blaming each other, while also eyeing the "inbred aristocracy of Family Van Buren" and their "loathsome ways." Conspiracy theories abounded. Most seemed to think Old Kinderhook literally tried to decapitate their competition, while others blamed Europan spies, anarchists, Inferior resistance groups, and literal Satanists. Faced with countless amounts of wild speculation, the few non-corrupt RUMP officers who tried to solve the case were left frustrated and ignorant of what had really happened. No one would ever really know the truth behind the Summer Slaughter. As per usual, a group of Inferior rights dissidents, known as the Black Hand, was plastered with the blame and executed to make the everyday citizens feel the problem had been resolved, but RUMP had simply planted the evidence and none of the 15 Inferiors killed were even in Kinderhook when the massacre occurred.

1448272553162.jpg

Board of Directors of Colonel Goodyear Enterprises
(CEO Ichabod Goodyear is seated in the front row, without a hat)

capone-tax-evasion-2.jpg

Famous photo of some of the victims of the Summer Slaughter at Van Buren Manor. Among the bodies here are Winchell Goodyear (draped over chair top left) and Charles Whitaker, third most powerful man in the Colonel Ford Company (middle)

Ichabod Goodyear, a mewling 38 year-old underling of the late Colonel Goodyear, was a mere shadow of his cousin and uncle. His personality could withstand Ford's charisma and ambition, and the new CEO of CGE ordered his thugs to hold back. Now, Ichabod said, was a time to mourn the death of their leader. Revenge would come some day, but not now. Ford quickly recovered from his wounds and began formulating a new idea to end the cycle of violence between the oligarchs. In 1909, he published A New Economic Order, and called for all of the corporations and companies to be divided up into economic clans. These clans would keep order and respect between the different companies and decide on policies with input from all members, keeping confrontation to a minimum and profits to a maximum). These clans could vote out other companies only if their was a 100% vote in favor of their removal. Initially, this idea was ignored by the other companies and feuds continued, but with the outbreak of total world war in 1911, they had to suck it up and deal with their problems for the good of the Union war machine.

The clans were divided as follows:

• The Industrial and Trade Clan, consisting of companies like the Colonel Ford Motor Company, CGE, Old Kinderhook Shipping and Industries, Pentagon Oil, Yankee Doodle Telegraph and its new subsidiary Yankee Doodle Motors, Northern Rail, Cobblepot Industries, Sunrise Motorworks, Texas Oilworks, Eds-Oil, Richardson Rail, Trenton Steelworks, and Kohler Coal and Oil. Some 45 companies in all were apart of this clan during the war.
  • The Banking Clan, which was dominated by the Bank of the Union, headquartered in Philadelphia, and Bank of the Main, headquarted in Cuba. Several smaller banks also were apart of this highly influential clan, such as Preston Bank of Michigania, Saddleburg Bank of New Jersey, and the United Banking Corporation of New England.
  • The Agricultural Clan was dominated by no foremost company, as agriculture was still nominally a free and localized market. Over 1000 companies were members of the Agricultural Clan by 1912, and it was largely thanks to them that food rationing for the war went so well, rapidly militarizing the nation's livestock and grain production. Ebeneezer Eustace Pink was a former governor of Ohio who wrote the Union Food and Safety Act on behalf of the Agricultural Clan, ordering expiration dates be printed on all canned goods for the safety of the war effort, something which carried over into civilian life and made stores much cleaner and safer places to acquire adequate nutrition. The Agricultural Clan member Thomas Foods also introduced SPUD (Succulent Potato Utility Dinner) during the war, which would become a staple of Union cuisine for decades, usually slathered in Horton Brand Pounded Tomato Paste Product.
  • The Armaments Clan, dominated by Colonel Pierce Industries, Colt Gunsmithing, Craig-Jordan Rifles and Rounds, and the Redemption Repeater and Shot Company. This clan was absolutely critical for producing enough weapons and bullets to continue the war effort. Pierce dominated the market, especially with grinders, but the Craig-Jordan M1901 was the battlefield favorite of Union infantry.
  • The Distillery Clan, perhaps the smallest of the clans, consisted of some twenty alcoholic beverage companies. Most famous of these was Republica Beer, founded in 1890 in Pennsylvania, and Cooperstown Beer and Lager, of New York. This clan was very key in keeping the morale of troops high, and most soldiers could expect a can of Republica Beer with their dinner rations in non-combat areas. After the war, Republica would solidify its place as the "Beer of Betters," achieving a gross majority of beer sales in the country.
And so it was that the days of corporate warfare were ended. Or at least so thought the general public. In reality, the clans were now led by organized hierarchies of backstabbing robberbarons, capable of anything. In secret, even during the war, numerous conflicts erupted into inner-clan wars, such as the massive conflict between Republic Beer and Cooperstown Beer and Lager. Thought their CEO's would meet as "gentlemen" in the clan headquarters, behind the scenes was a tangled web of crime, blackmail, and corruption. During all this, RUMP was nowhere to be seen. After all, their were too many Inferior traitors and foreign papist spies to round up. The World War was underway!

Last edited:
Boy was that chapter fun to write! I literally made "Men Who Built America" meet Game of Thrones. lol I hope you guys enjoy it!

My favorite part personally was not explaining who conducted the Summer Slaughter. It's way more fun to speculate. Personally, my favorite theories are:

Family Van Buren went full Lannister (literally why I called them "the old lion of New England") and organized a Red Wedding for Ford and Goodyear.

Maybe even an idea that Custer himself, or perhaps a high-ranking MDP member, ordered the hit to kill Goodyear, possibly even working with Ford to introduce the clan system. A conspiracy theorist ITTL would argue that maybe Ford was wounded accidentally, or maybe even to sell the hitjob and his innocence.

But even still, maybe Europan assassins working for Napoleon wanted to cripple America's industry by killing its leaders before the outbreak of war.

It's so cool to just imagine what might have happened!

Also, SPUD arrived! And it's an acronym. XD

spud-png.226946

Last edited:
Fixed that for you.

Realistically there's no way Carolina gets out of WW1. The Nordreich can't compete with the Union; despite the inefficiency of the Union's slavocracy, it has similar industrial power to OTL America, and the Nordreich is less cohesive and powerful than the OTL German Empire, which never stood a chance in the slightest of fighting OTL America post-1890 or so. CoCaro is fucked, and the Yankees will do horrible things to them before making every white person in the state into Inferiors and indoctrinating the black people into the AFC war cult (and God help any black people who aren't entirely sold on this war cult thing).
That's not necessarily true. We don't know much about the Union's navy but chances are it's considerably weaker than OTL America's given all the strife in the RU. If Nordreich can gain naval superiority they can make things economically more trouble than they're worth for the Union pretty quickly. America's best bet is to wait until the Hohenzollern-Bonaparte war and then step in when Nordreich doesn't care about Carolina anymore.

With the current state of the American economic structure, what economic structure do the Nordreich and Europa have? I presume that they are less dysfunctional than the RU economy with no "corporate wars".

spam-burgers.jpg

I couldn't help myself. XD Been a while since we had an ad! Doing fictional companies is one of the most fun aspects of this TL.

TONIGHT'S INSTALLMENT OF MASTERPIECE THEATRE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY

HORTON BRAND POUNDED TOMATO PASTE PRODUCT - THE RED SLUDGE YOU TRUST!

THE CORPORATION FOR INTER-CLAN DEVELOPMENT AND ECONOMIC MARXISM.

THE NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR GIFTED SPIRITUALISTS

AND BY MANDATORY TAXES FROM VIEWERS LIKE YOU. THANK YOU!

With the current state of the American economic structure, what economic structure do the Nordreich and Europa have? I presume that they are less dysfunctional than the RU economy with no "corporate wars".

That will be revealed! I would say it's safe to say they are quite a bit less dysfunctional, although the Clans might actually come through "in the Republic's time of need," sort of like the OTL Mafia during WWII.

Last edited:

SuperZtar64

Banned
Also what kinda of economic system is this? is it based on anything?
I shall take it upon myself to coin a new term - "Mechanized Oligarchy". Where the ruling class of elites organize themselves so that they all stay in power, like parts of a machine supporting each other.

Good God, the Union economy is literally run like a cartel of mob families. Ironic, considering their opinion of the Mafia's country of origin. I can't stop picturing Henry Ford stroking a cat and doing a Vito Corelone: "What favor do you ask of the Titan of Industry on this, the day of my daughter's wedding?"

I also found the relationship between Colonel Goodyear and Henry Ford very interesting and compelling. It seems very realistic, given that it sounds like Goodyear respected any Better regardless of economic standing, so long as they were ruthless and indomitable like him.

I think my personal theory on who ordered the Summer Slaughter points to Custer. I could see Custer resenting the power of CGE, but respecting/fearing the "Good" Colonel too much to try and eliminate him. Now that the old bastard is gone, it's the perfect time to kill his whelp of a son and eliminate one of the last men who truly had power to rival his. Or alternatively, maybe he really respected Goodyear and hated his son for killing him. Either way, I think the Blonde Madman is responsible.

I would add that no statesman would like the fact that the government does not have a monopoly on force, with these private armies running about.
Let's do a scorecard of the various paramilitary/military forces in the RU:
  • The RU Army
  • The state militias (assuming they were not disbanded)
  • RUMP (Custer's Blueshirts)
  • ORRA (The AFCC's paramilitary)
  • Various Corporate mercenary armies.

This is a formula for constant low level fighting with the potential for civil wars.

Also I would assume the existence of various gangs of both Inferiors and Betters.

Good Lord, the RU is partially ran by the kind of MegaCorporations that would appear in a Cyberpunk novel, even if it's an exaggeration of Gilded Age monopolies. I get the feeling that Europa and the NordReich will have different versions of Capitalism.

Of course the Workers will start having a day at some point, (I can't wait to see the bizarre versions of Socialism and Communism that are generated in the Madnessverse beside Beutuelism).

Also Van Buren is one smart bastard, I see him being the mastermind of that little massacre with the help of some ORRA agents who don't like the Goodyear whelp. Also I would like the next Goodyear to be a woman, whose just as ruthless as the original and ousts the more mild mannered one in place at the moment.

Last edited: