War in the West (Axis Triumphant)

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I have just completed reading the Kindle version of Brian Clarke's "War in the West (Axis Triumphant) and... I really struggle to remember a worse book :mad:

I hope this is the right forum, but I would welcome others' views.

Disliked: -
1) The greatest Naziwank & Britscrew ever;
2) The hero is Reinhard Heydrich :eek:
3) Almost every German is a brilliant strategist and never makes a mistake; every Brit is an idiot & the decisions they make are disaster pre-ordained.
4) Heydrich takes about 30 minutes to figure out the Enigma code is broken, and devises a strategy to win the entire war (including Japan's :confused:) in about the same time.
5) The Royal Navy (ALL OF IT!) is destroyed in about two pages without loss to the Axis. To make it worse, this happens "off-screen" so for anyone wanting a blow-by-blow of shells or bombs striking home to offset the storyline...:(
6) Britain's defeat is down to three operations carried out be a handful of men in the most preposterous ASB I've seen. The Cretan operation is one that really defies belief.
7) Russia goes down in 22 days...
8) And Americans - you might enjoy seeing the Brits screwed but wait until you find out what happens to you...

The writing style, for a book, is awful. At almost every turn you are told in advance that this is how Germeny came to dominate the world, or how the British Empire was destroyed, or how Russian would fall. Buggers up suspense!

Minor characters pop up, who you are immediately told will die in minutes (or even worse, they die first) then you are provided with detail of who they werem, what they thought, what they were doing, which is pointless as you know they are dead a few pages on.

Example - there is a lesbian relationship about 2/3 way through. Neither character appears previously in the book, or will appear again. They do not interact with any of the "major" characters, and all they add is third- or fourth-hand views on what happened to Britain's Jews. All it does is add padding in a number of pages.

I have read many far better presented & thought-out stories on this forum. My advice to anyone who is considering buying this, and is not either a rabid pro-Nazi or anglophobe, is don't bother

Would it be possible to get a brief summary of the plot? I haven't read the book, and based on your description, I probably won't want to. However, my morbid curiosity demands more.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
SPOILER ALERT

The Germans have a spy in Moscow with access to the highest levels of Soviet intelligence; this spy is run by Heydrich.

From this intelligence, based upon reports back by a Soviet mole in British intelligence (surely not...;)), Heydrich determines that Bletchley Park has cracked the Enigma codes. Taking this news to Hitler, the two immediately devise a strategy to defeat first Britain, then Russia, and isolate America by aiding Japan; Heydrich is named deputy Fuehrer & annointed Adolf's successor.

Hitler has an accident; Heydrich takes over.

The Atlantic islands (from the Canaries to the Azores all the way to Ascencion) are seized by a handful of German troops. Greece is not invaded; instead the Cretan airfields are seized for 24 hours allowing the Luftwaffe to base bombers there. The RN's Mediterranean fleet is lured out unknowingly from Alexandria and every ship is sunk by the Stukas.

With no access to oil (the shipping lanes are too dangerous with Condors based mid-Atlantic) the RAF cannot get into the air, and the Royal Navy is sunk by air attack or the U-boats waiting outside ports.

Heydrich persuades the Japanese to attack the European imperial possession in the Far East by promising to split Asia with them and offer them everything they need in return for one promise: to attack the Soviet Union. They also indicate that the Americans are reading Japanese codes.

Churchill is assassinated by a small squad of paras under Skorzeny. Lord Halifax immediatley sues for peace. The Japanese seize the Dutch East Indies, French Indochina, and all British territory as far west as India. The Germans take all of Africa, the Caribbean and (eventually) Canada.

Russia, whose armed forces have been purged once again through false German intelligence, goes down in 3-4 weeks against a four-pronged assault: Germans from the west and also Turkey & Persia; Japanese from India / Afghanistan and Manchuria.

The story ends with the USA falling apart. The Japanese have California (taken forcibly or peacefully is not stated, as it appears another 3 states will leave the union as they have large Japanese populations); several states are run by the Bund along with help from the Irish-Americans, and will invite German troops in to help maintain control. Heydrich sets a new target, using JKR's phrase about putting a German on the moon...

I have just completed reading the Kindle version of Brian Clarke's "War in the West (Axis Triumphant) and... I really struggle to remember a worse book :mad:

there there. When you are a fan of alternate history, one of the perils is that you will sooner or later read some really bad AH. I know the pain is hard to deal with right now, but things will get better in time. Trust us, we've all been through it. You'll pull through and be able to function again, some day...

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Gah

Even France took six weeks

Assuming an army marches at 25 miles a day (fair enough assuming ANY resistance or bad weather) just reaching Moscow would take 30 days

Whoever wrote this knows nothing about WWII era military logistics

IIRC Poland was turned into one huge rail marshalling yard - remember the entire resources of Britain are available to the Reich.

We find this out when an NKVD general (who happens to be the German spy's lover) and a senior army staff officer are sent out by Beria and walk across the Polish border to take a look for themselves...

You have to say, with that sort of leadership, I'm surprised the Russians lasted as long as 22 days :eek:

I did leave a slightly less fevered review on Amazon UK. Said even Conroy's and Turtledove's more extreme AH looked plausible.

Now thinking the entire book was a ruse for the lesbian scene between two Bletchley Park WRENs :D

IIRC Poland was turned into one huge rail marshalling yard - remember the entire resources of Britain are available to the Reich.

We find this out when an NKVD general (who happens to be the German spy's lover) and a senior army staff officer are sent out by Beria and walk across the Polish border to take a look for themselves...

You have to say, with that sort of leadership, I'm surprised the Russians lasted as long as 22 days :eek:

I did leave a slightly less fevered review on Amazon UK. Said even Conroy's and Turtledove's more extreme AH looked plausible.

Now thinking the entire book was a ruse for the lesbian scene between two Bletchley Park WRENs :D
That doesn't help, Russia uses a different rail gauge

Russia is big enough that even if it is completely undefended the size alone should give them 3 months

Turtledove and Conroy don't really make the attempt to be plausible, but they at least know a thing or two about logistics (or in Turtledove's case just copy OTL with names changed)

If I want Lesbians in AH I'll read S.M. Stirling

Sound more that the stupid virus has been created in a Nazy lab and deployed worldwide

No need to be rude about it. I have a high tolerance for poeticness, but even I find this work stretching reality past the breaking point. That doesn't mean I go around calling it stupid. Written without researching the era perhaps, but the author apparently doesn't seem to care. Running across such works is always a risk when self-publishing is a factor.

No need to be rude about it. I have a high tolerance for poeticness, but even I find this work stretching reality past the breaking point. That doesn't mean I go around calling it stupid. Written without researching the era perhaps, but the author apparently doesn't seem to care. Running across such works is always a risk when self-publishing is a factor.

I was talking of the Draka stupid virus who make their enemy basically functionally moronos; the only logical explanation for a timeline like this is that the Nazi scientist discovered this virus and find a way to use it against their enemy after they immunize themselfs

I was talking of the Draka stupid virus who make their enemy basically functionally moronos; the only logical explanation for a timeline like this is that the Nazi scientist discovered this virus and find a way to use it against their enemy after they immunize themselfs

The Draka magically create a virus that makes everybody else stupid? Seems like a rather lazy solution to me, something created to just brush aside everybody with a wave of a hand because the author wants the Draka to rule the world. What was the author smoking when he came up with that idea?.... that last part was suppose to be a joke.

Well, whether his work is good or bad he is selling books. Going by the sales rank as of today probably 8 copies daily. Mind you, for an obviously self-pubbed work in a niche genre without a big name's backing that's actually a decent number. I'd be happy if I got back into that region again.^^