To the Edge and Maybe Over: An Alternate 21st Century

Very reluctantly and only because Reagan avoided his 2001 accident ITTL, so he was in slightly better health. Nancy agreed he could make only three campaign appearances and, when this happened during the first one, ruled out any other ones.
What was he supposed to do? Just stand there and smile, it would be really painful actually watching him speak, from the charismatic giant of the 80s to a sad diseased man who was in the fog of Alzheimer's. That is certainly not the image you want on TV...

What was he supposed to do? Just stand there and smile, it would be really painful actually watching him speak, from the charismatic giant of the 80s to a sad diseased man who was in the fog of Alzheimer's. That is certainly not the image you want on TV...

Fair point. I think I'll actually remove that bit, as it's not overall that important to the timeline.

Great stuff :) Having a centre-left US government really gives the new millennium a feel of optimism. Then again, there is the assassination. I'm interested in finding out whether they take more action on climate change and social reform, although I notice Lieberman's acting quite illiberal on security/foreign affairs! Excited to see the knock-on effects both at home and globally.

Last edited:
Part 6
Part 6

“Today our forces have managed to capture the Iraqi capital of Baghdad. This is a tremendous victory for our forces, but we have not emerged victorious yet. For the time being, Saddam Hussein remains uncaptured and his lingering supporters continue to attack our troops. Nevertheless, rest assured we shall prevail.”

-President Joe Lieberman, May 17, 2003

HUSSEIN CAPTURED BY US FORCES NEAR BASRA

MCCAIN WARNS IRAN TO ‘BACK OFF’ IN EASTERN IRAQ

REPORTS INDICATE PRESCOTT, BLAIR FEUDING OVER BRITISH INVOLVEMENT IN IRAQ

CONGRESSMAN Walter JONES INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO RENAME FRENCH FRIES IN WAKE OF FRANCE’S REFUSAL TO SUPPORT WAR EFFORT

-Headlines of The Washington Post, March-August 2003

“We faced major difficulties in securing the country, but by 2004 we seemed to be on solid ground. The insurgency continued, regrettably, but we were developing the capabilities to counter them. The central government was in order and Hussein was captured. Looking back, there were warning signs of what was to come—but most of those signs weren’t my focus. My job was to oversee the occupation and I continued to do that to the best of my ability.”

-General David Petraeus in his autobiography All In, published 2014

“There is a profound temptation to ascribe the best possible motivations to the architects of the Iraq War, but the simple fact is the administration is rife with interventionists—indeed that is the most consistent element of the Lieberman White House’s staffing choices rather than any ideological symmetry. The men and women manning the apparatus of foreign relations are almost universally committed to a vision of America as world hegemon. They wanted Saddam Hussein out of power for years before 9/11, some as early as 1991. I will leave the generous interpretations to others. My personal sentiment is thus: Lieberman lied and people died.”

-Antiwar.com editorial director Justin Raimondo, ‘Joe Lieberman: War Party Leader’ published February 3, 2004

"Sure, there were some problems down the line, but in the end I think we made the right call. Hussein was a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people and through our efforts we managed to give Iraq a democratic government. I don't see how one can look at Iraq under Saddam and think that regime lasting longer would have made things better. If you are going to take umbrage with the war, be angry at the aftermath-not the conflict itself."
-Former Secretary of Defense Wesley Clark in the 2016 Democratic primary debate held on September 2, 2015

"My decision to enlist was motivated by patriotism. I wanted to do the most I could to serve my country well. Now, of course, I see that I had been taken in by misinformation. The war wasn't just and it only bred more misery for all involved in it. There are times where I look back and wish I had stuck with sports. Of course, in the end, had I done that my political awakening wouldn't have come about, but perhaps that might have been worthwhile."
-Congressman Pat Tillman in an interview on 60 Minutes, March 3, 2017

ATTACK BY INSURGENTS IN IRAQ KILLS 12 US SOLDIERS

REPORTS FROM WHITE HOUSE INDICATE LIEBERMAN WEIGHING USE OF ‘ENHANCED INTERROGATION’ METHODS ON CAPTURED TERRORISTS

PROTEST AGAINST IRAQ WAR IN NEW YORK CITY DRAWS 3,000

BIN LADEN RELEASES VIDEO TAUNTING US FOR FAILURE TO CAPTURE HIM

-Headlines of The Wall Street Journal, March-September 2003

“The effort to take control of Iraq proved to be largely successful. Baghdad fell rather quickly and Hussein did not long evade US forces in the country. The problems began to arise in attempting to build a stable postwar Iraq. There were competing visions—for instance, Democratic Senator Joe Biden proposed splitting Iraq along sectarian lines while Secretary of State McCain favored maintaining the country as a single body. The future of Kurds in Iraq was also an open question, as they were supportive of toppling Hussein, but their desire for independence risked escalating tensions with Turkey and Syria.

Things would only worsen over time. It would not be apparent for nearly three years, but the overthrow of the Ba’athis regime empowered insurgents. The postwar government the US tried to prop up proved to be unstable and corrupt and was viewed by many Iraqis as illegitimate especially given the proposals to split the country up went unchallenged publicly by the new government. And the already-strained relationship between the US and Iran would only worsen during the occupation of Iraq.

Lieberman, for the time being, did not see the problems building up. For now, it looked as though his approach was working and he saw no reason to change course.”

-Excerpt from Axis of Evil: How the War on Terror Escalated by Stephen Walt, published 2015

Iraq War.jpg

Part 7
Part 7

“No, I will not be entering the presidential race. I intend to carry on my work in the administration and ensure our national security is upheld.”

-Secretary of State John McCain in response to whether he would be seeking the Republican presidential nomination, January 3rd, 2003

“The despicable, vicious, cowardly attacks against us on September 11th must never be forgotten. I was there on the frontlines of the immediate aftermath-I have seen what the kind of terror spread by the likes of Osama and Saddam looks like up close. We need someone who fully understands the barbarity we are facing now and it is for this reason I am seeking the Republican nomination for President of the United States.”

-Mayor of New York Rudy Giuliani announcing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, March 30th, 2003

GOVERNOR JEB BUSH ANNOUNCES HE WILL NOT BE ENTERING THE RACE, REFRAINS FROM FORMAL ENDORSEMENT

REPRESENTATIVE KUCINICH CONDEMNS LIEBERMAN AS ‘NEOLIBERAL WARMONGER’ IN ANNOUNCEMENT OF PRIMARY CHALLENGE

POLLING SHOWS MAYOR GIULIANI WITH SIGNIFICENT LEAD OVER MAJOR CHALLENGERS, GENERAL ELECTION POLLS SHOW DEAD HEAT.

-Headlines in The Wall Street Journal, May-August 2003

“The Lieberman administration’s invasion of Iraq is not defensible either legally or practically. Lieberman did not gain a Congressional declaration of war, which is required by the Constitution before launching a war. And in addition to that, the administration has not provided any shred of evidence that Saddam Hussein is connected to the activities of Al-Qaeda or the September 11th attack on our country. In addition to all of this, Lieberman has used the attacks to justify legislation that impedes our civil liberties domestically. I am running for president in order to push back against these attacks on freedom by the current administration.”

-Congressman Ron Paul announcing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, April 5th, 2003

“I respect Mayor Giuliani and agree his leadership earned him the title ‘America’s mayor.’ But looking at his stances on the issues—they aren’t Republican or conservative or Christian. I think we can do better than nominating a candidate with New York values.”

-Senator Rick Santorum in the first Republican primary debate, August 19th, 2003

“No, I don’t agree with Senator Santorum. Giuliani’s positions are not necessarily the ones I hold, but we are a big tent party.”

“Do you feel the same way about Congressman Paul’s positions?”

“…Well, yes, but I think there is a big difference between policy differences stemming from religious convictions and the kind that endanger the American public.”

-Interview between Governor Tommy Thompson and CNN, August 22nd, 2003

AMIDST DEM BACKLASH, LIEBERMAN AGREES TO DEBATE KUCINICH

RON PAUL RALLY DRAWS CROWD OF 6,000 IN DES MOINES

TERRORIST ATTACK KILLS 8 US SERVICE MEMBERS IN AFGHANISTAN

IN THIRD REPUBLICAN DEBATE, GIULIANI HITS PAUL OVER NEWSLETTERS CONTROVERSY

-Headlines of The Washington Post, August-November 2003

“I’m worried about too many Muslims entering the US. Lieberman is liberalizing immigration laws for Iraq and that concerns me—what if there are infiltrators? It’s a threat.”

“I understand your concern and agree with it. As president, I would pause immigration from Muslim-majority countries in order to make sure we have a strong vetting system in place.”

-Exchange between unknown Iowa voter and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, November 19th, 2003

“In between ‘New York values,’ Ron Paul’s newsletters and Giuliani’s Muslim ban, I think we can say: Congratulations Tommy Thompson! You are the most minority-friendly Republican candidate left in the race!”

-Larry Wilmore on an episode of The Daily Show, November 21st, 2003

“I’ve gotta say, I’m tired of smears directed at my friend Ron Paul. He and I disagree on a lot of things, but I know he is a good man and if I lose and he wins, I will strongly consider supporting him over the current president.”

-Representative Dennis Kucinich at a campaign event, December 2nd, 2003

PAUL WINS IOWA IN UPSET, GIULIANI IN THIRD

KUCINICH, GIULIANI WIN NEW HAMPSHIRE

GIULIANI, PAUL PULL AHEAD ON SUPER TUESDAY AS THOMPSON DROPS OUT

KUCINICH VOWS TO FIGHT TO CONVENTION EVEN AMIDST DISAPPOINTING SHOW IN OHIO

SANTORUM DROPS OUT, ENDORSING GIULIANI AS ‘LEADER WE NEED’

FIGHT BREAKS OUT BETWEEN GIULIANI AND PAUL SUPPORTERS IN ALASKA CAUCUS

PAUL ACKNOWLEDGES VICTORY ‘LIKELY IMPOSSIBLE,’ STILL REFUSES TO ENDORSE GIULIANI

LIEBERMAN’S OFFER TO MEET WITH KUCINICH REBUFFED BY CANDIDATE

GIULIANI ANNOUNCES PICK OF SANTORUM AS RUNNING MATE, CALLS FOR 'REPUBLICANS TO UNITE'

-Headlines of The Washington Post, January-June 2004

“I have long believed that there is no meaningful difference between our two major parties. Democrat, Republican, both of them are, in the end, chickenhawks who care more about their corporate cronies than the average American. I am running to provide voters with an alternative to the stale status quo of the two-party system—the chance to vote for peace, clean government and personal liberty.”

-Former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura announcing his independent bid for president on May 3rd, 2004. Ventura would jointly seek the nomination of both the Libertarian and Green Parties

2004 GOP Primary.png

2004 Dem primary.png

Part 8
Part 8
"As we have sought to embark on a new century, America has had to reckon with great difficulty. We went through one of the worst single catastrophes in our nation's history. But under our administration, we have managed to rise from the ashes stronger than before. We have taken the fight to those who would harm our people and our leaders. We have given the people of Iraq and Afghanistan the chance to build a stable, democratic future. We have taken action to combat the scourge of climate change and ensure every American can live in peace and safety. I believe we can continue to triumph if you will give me the honor of serving as your president for four more years."
-President Joe Lieberman at the DNC, June 16, 2004

"We cannot defeat the evil that has fallen on our nation without recognizing what it is. Radical Islam is our enemy-the enemy of America and the world at large. I have seen the evil it is willing to cause firsthand on 9/11 and I will do everything in my power to ensure that Islamic fundamentalism joins communism and fascism in the dustbin of history where it belongs."
-Mayor Rudy Giuliani at the RNC, June 21, 2004

"Jesse's efforts to secure ballot access was unorthodox to say the least. He couldn't follow in Perot's footsteps by relying on a big bank account to get on the ballot as an independent, so he needed to secure party bylines. Getting the support of state Reform Party affiliates was easy-they were eager to have him running under their name. But the strategy of simultaneously pursuing the Libertarian and Green nominations-that was an unusual one. He had backers in both corners-Nader was an early supporter, as was Chairman Neale at the LNC-but a lot of folks on both sides ware wary of Ventura. He got the national parties' support thanks to both sides finding Gravel acceptable, but several state Green and Libertarian Parties selected alternative candidates-L. Neil Smith got the Libertarian byline in Arizona, Alaska, California and a few other states. Meanwhile, David Cobb secured the nominations of several Midwestern and Northwestern Green Parties. But in the end, Ventura/Gravel was on the ballot in every state barring Oklahoma."
-Excerpt from Just Cause: Inside Ventura/Gravel 2004 by Dean Barkley

AGGREGATE POLLING AVERAGE, 2004
LIEBERMAN/KERREY-43.2%
GIULIANI/SANTORUM-42.4%
VENTURA/GRAVEL-11.6%
OTHER/UNDECIDED-4.4%
-RCP Polling Average, August 2004

VENTURA PROTESTS DEBATE EXCLUSION, CITING CPD 'RIGGING'

GIULIANI DOUBLES-DOWN ON IMMIGRATION BAN, CALLING IT 'SECURITY MUST'

PAUL AND KUCINICH STUMP FOR VENTURA AT RALLY IN MICHIGAN

LIEBERMAN VOTED WINNER OF FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE BY FOCUS GROUPS

DATA INDICATES EVANGELICAL SUPPORT FOR GOP AT LOWEST SINCE 1970'S

CAIR ENDORSES LIEBERMAN, ACCUSES GIULIANI OF STOKING ISLAMAPHOBIA

-Headlines of The Washington Post, August-September 2004

"Sir, there's a problem. We can't let you leave this location until we know it's safe."

"Safe? What do you mean?"
-Exchange between a Secret Service agent and President Lieberman, October 3, 2004

SHOOTING AT MARYSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL KILLS 19
-Headline of the Columbus Dispatch, October 3, 2004

"The perpetrator of the shooting was soon identified: Nathan Gale. He had been a student at Marysville in the late 1990's and at the time did not display any particularly dangerous traits. However, afterwards, he had developed a drug addiction, joined the military and gotten discharged after being discovered to have paranoid schizophrenia. In the months before the shooting, he had apparently developed a delusional belief that several of the faculty members at his old high school had brainwashed him into joining the military in the first place and he carried out the shooting as an act of revenge for this perceived wrongdoing.

Gale's actions had wider-reaching consequences than cutting 19 lives short, 16 of them young lives. His massacre was a blow to the credibility of the antiwar movement-not fatal, by any means, but Gale's crude 'manifesto' was critical of the Iraq War and this was seized upon by the Giuliani campaign to denounce antiwar activists as dangerous threats. On the other hand, the fact Gale managed to gain access to a firearm despite being a known criminal with a history of mental illness helped validate the Lieberman administration's policy on gun control."
-Excerpt from the article 'How Marysville Decided 2004', published in The Wall Street Journal, October 3, 2006

"Of course I agree with Lieberman that this horrific tragedy demonstrates the need for gun control, but it is also important to note the shooter's background also includes an infatuation with heavy metal. This kind of music indulges in violent rhetoric and I don't doubt for a second that listening to it so regularly helped push Gale over the edge. This is not the first time this sort of media has driven people to commit atrocities-the murderers at Columbine were similarly infatuated with metal and violent video games. I think it's important for Lieberman not to overlook these factors in his push to prevent future mass shootings."
-Senator Tipper Gore, October 8, 2004 as quoted in the One Nation, Under Censorship documentary released in 2008

"Honestly, I'm not sure there is such a thing as 'moderate Islam.' You either want Sharia or you don't, there is no in-between."
-Senator Rick Santorum in leaked audio released on October 28, 2004

"It is fitting it is so close to Halloween, as what Santorum has said is deeply scary. As a proud American Jew, I understand the importance of preserving religious freedom in this country. It is a foundational principle of this country and I am deeply concerned by Santorum's apparent disregard for the principle."
-President Joe Lieberman, October 28, 2004

"In the end, the events of October turned the race from a tossup to a foregone conclusion. Giuliani never quite got a handle on how to respond to the Marysville shooting and the shooter's antiwar views harmed Ventura's efforts to disrupt the race. While he still performed well for a third-party candidate, his final percentage was a far cry from the double-digits he was hoping for. Coupled with Santorum's gaffe, Lieberman won by a hefty margin.

Lieberman's reelection victory, unfortunately for him, was one of the last triumphs of his administration. The next four years would not be kind to him or his reputation."
-Excerpt from The Accidental Presidents by Matthew Beckmann, published 2015

2004 election.png

Part 9
This part is a bit more culturally focused
Part 9
"In addition to President Gore and several members of his cabinet, the September 11th attacks also claimed the life of Seth MacFarlane, an animator and voice actor responsible for developing the Fox animated series Family Guy. In the years since, Family Guy has enjoyed a cult following and many believe that had MacFarlane not died, the show could have reached similar status as The Simpsons, South Park or Gravity Falls and MacFarlane consequently would have joined Matt Groening, Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Alex Hirsch and Justin Roilland as a leading voice in adult animation."
-Excerpt from the Entertainment Weekly article 'A Brief History of Adult Animation', published on October 18, 2017

24, STARRING KIEFER SUTHERLAND, WINS NIELSEN RATINGS DESPITE DELAY

JELLO BIAFRA RELEASES 'CONNECTICUT UBER ALLES' TARGETTING LIEBERMAN ADMINISTRATION

SOUTH PARK TAKES AIM AT 9/11 CONSPIRACY THEORIES IN 'WHEN IN DOUBT, BLAME THE JEW'

JK ROWLING DENOUNCES EARLY READERS' LEAKING OF HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

PRODUCTION BEGINS ON JURASSIC PARK IV, JOE JOHNSTON TO DIRECT

-Headlines of Entertainment Weekly, 2001-2004

"Did you always know you wanted to play the Doctor?"

"Honestly? No. I can't say that I did. Not that I was particularly opposed to it or anything-and I had quite a lovely time on the show, really. But it was very spur-of-the-moment for me and for the BBC too. They thought they could make inroads with American audience by including an actor they were more familiar with. And, I gotta say, it worked."

"There are rumors you'll be appearing in the 50th anniversary episode-"

"Well, let's keep them rumors then. Why spoil the surprise?"
-Interview between Graham Norton and Anthony Stuart Head, November 2, 2013

"Noooo, not the Facts Desk!"

"That's right, Carrell! I have triumphed! This show shall be Even Stevphens no more, now it is...The Colbert Report!"
*thunder and lightning noises echoe*

"That's not a great name."

"Yeah, I know, it's a working title."
-Excerpt from the Even Stevphens December 2004 finale, aired December 16, 2004. Even Stevphens, a spinoff of The Daily Show, featured Stephen Colbert (playing a conservative pastiche) and Steve Carrell (playing a stereotypical liberal) discussing and arguing about current affairs. The show mixed Daily Show style news coverage with sketches similar to Saturday Night Live depicting the caricatures Carrell and Colbert played engaging in various antics.

"The recent bestseller status of the young adult novel Panem has already begun making an impact beyond the world of fiction. The symbol depicting a bird surrounded by a circle and holding an arrow that has cropped up at antiwar protests in recent months-it is especially popular among progressive antiwar activists owing to the conclusion of the book where Katharine Everdeen warns the new president of the country she won't let her continue tyranny just because she is on 'her side.' The book's author Suzanne Collins, when asked for comment on the use of the symbol in this context, simply said 'I'm not against it.'"
-Excerpt from The Washington Post article 'What the deal is with the bird symbols at the March for Peace', published February 2, 2005

"Casino Royale proved to be a surprising success following its release in the 2004 summer blockbuster season. Despite skepticism about casting Henry Cavill as a younger than usual Bond, the film received widespread critical acclaim and set the stage for Cavill to keep the role of Bond for as many films as Connery did. It's commonly cited as an example of studio risk-taking that paid off.

But really, did anyone expect any less? Nobody really had solid grounds to object to such a young actor starring in a reboot of the Bond franchise-which keep in mind is such a beloved franchise it has been ongoing for over 50 years. Couple that with the War on Terror bolstering spy thrillers as a whole, any Bond film would've been hard-pressed not to earn millions."
-Excerpt from the Cracked article '5 Cinematic Gambles That Weren't Really Gambles', published 2011

Family Guy.png
Doctor Who.png

Interesting timeline here. Looking forward to seeing what comes of Lieberman's second term.

On the cultural front, really liking the idea of Anthony Head as the Doctor.

Part 10
Happy Halloween! Enjoy this spooky update.
Part 10
"I absolutely agree with Senator Gore on this issue. When you have young people exposed to this culture of death-that's not good for their minds. It desensitizes them and makes them think that these means are a valid one to deal with problems. Gale didn't just kill people because he had a gun, he had a deranged mindset that was encouraged by exposure to violent media. We won't solve violence without addressing these root causes."
-President Joe Lieberman, on January 30, 2005 at the press conference unveiling the SAFETY Act

"In essence, the core premise of the SAFETY Act is that young people who perpetrate violent actions are not responsible for their actions. Instead, Gore, Lieberman and fellow supporters of this legislation place the blame on media they regard as encouraging hostility to human life-namely death metal and violent video games. The legislation strengthens background checks and reinforces the assault weapons ban, while tying that with imposing criminal penalties for not strictly checking IDs of people buying M rated video games or music albums belonging to the heavy metal or death metal genres. The problem with these proposals is twofold: the enforcement of this proposal is highly tricky and these restrictions in my opinion violate First Amendment protections."
-Eugene Volokh, writing for The Volokh Conspiracy, February 3, 2005

"This legislation is in my book long overdue. My only issue with it is I worry it does not go far enough in keeping the kind of violent imagery we see too often in Hollywood and in these kind of games from the eyes of our children. People who are saying this is a threat to free speech-we're not banning these depictions, we're just enforcing already existing rules. If you can't shout fire in a crowded theatre, then kids shouldn't be able to go to a movie theatre and see someone fire into a crowd on the screen."
-Senator Mike Johanns (R-NE), February 4, 2005, after becoming a cosponsor of the SAFETY Act

"Look, I am all for taking measures to combat mass shootings-Lord knows I am no Second Amendment absolutist-but in the process we shouldn't erode basic constitutional freedoms. This legislation would push too far against the First Amendment for my liking and I don't see any path to me voting for it."
-Senator Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), February 4, 2005

"I am absolutely prepared to work with the Lieberman administration to get the SAFETY Act through the House. It's a major piece of common-sense, common-ground legislation-both Speaker Bonior and I agree on it, for instance. We may not get everyone onboard, but we should get the non-crazies to back this legislation."
-House Minority Leader Dennis Hastert, February 2, 2005

FEINGOLD THREATENS FILIBUSTER OF SAFETY ACT AS BILL NEARS PASSAGE

DCCC THREATENS TO WITHHOLD FUNDS FROM REPRESENTATIVES WHO BUCK LIEBERMAN LINE

MARILYN MANSON CRITICIZES SAFETY ACT AS 'ANTI-FREEDOM AND USELESS'

40 CONSTITUTIONAL SCHOLARS SIGN LETTER EXPRESSING FIRST AMENDMENT CONCERNS ABOUT SAFETY ACT, URGE IT WITHDRAWN AND REVISED
-Headlines of The Washington Post, February 2005

"Based on my understanding of the issues the SAFETY Act seeks to address, I do think it provides decent remedies to these issues and I would favor the legislation if I believed it to be constitutional. However, the fact is, my understanding of the Constitution precludes supporting this legislation. The SAFETY Act's penalties for selling certain video games and music albums to young people would violate First Amendment protections for both video game companies and establishments selling such content. In addition, while I think the US infatuation with gun rights is an issue, the Second Amendment is absolutely clear. The gun control provisions are not permitted. On that basis, I would say that constitutional amendments would be a prerequisite to the passage of the SAFETY Act."
-Professor Alan Dershowitz, February 15, 2005

"Ron, of course, was deeply opposed to the legislation. A federal piece of legislation imposing strict criminal penalties for nonviolent activities was antithetical to everything he stood for. If he'd had the chance to filibuster it, I know he would've-hell, when Feingold was railing against it, I could tell he wished he was able to join him in doing that. And when Hutchison voted for the bill, I think that was when he made up his mind. If not then, maybe it was when Lew pointed out people got elected President from the Senate a lot more often than from the House."
-Carol Paul, writing in Ron Paul's Revolution: Behind the Scenes, published 2018

"The impact of the SAFETY Act on the video game industry was rather depressive. M-rated games were considerably more risky business decisions after the SAFETY Act passed. From 2006 to 2010, the number of major M-rated games created dropped about 33% compared to the period of 2001 to 2005. Developers more known for family-friendly video game content like Nintendo would perform better than those developers who produced less appropriate games. And even on family-friendly games, certain elements were scrapped to keep them as appropriate as possible-for instance, Blue Fang banned modders from adding gore to their Zoo Tycoon games up until 2009. In the end, of course, the legislation would be scrapped, but it would take a while before M-rated content became as common as it once had been."
-Excerpt from the Kotaku article 'The SAFETY Act: A Decade One', published February 2015

"In the end, of course, it didn't really matter that most constitutional scholars argued its provisions wouldn't be upheld. Lieberman wanted something done, Senator Gore wanted something done and many others in Congress wanted something done. Odds are, most people who voted to pass the SAFETY Act knew it would ultimately face court challenges. But they passed it anyway and attempted to keep it on the books as long as possible. Because doing something, however unconstitutional it might have been, was seen as better than potentially allowing another Marysville. The fact that it didn't prevent future incidents of that sort is obvious to us now, but we speak with the benefit of hindsight the people who voted SAFETY through had no way of having."
-Glenn Greenwald, writing for the Jacobin, October 12, 2010

SAFETY Act.png

Last edited:
Interesting development here. Any major games get fully butterflied out of existence, or just delayed?

And I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of that bit about Ron Paul.

Interesting development here. Any major games get fully butterflied out of existence, or just delayed?

Some major franchises impacted:
*Left 4 Dead-never released
*Resident Evil-the fifth installment is not released in America until 2012
*Call of Duty-3 still comes out but Modern Warfare and Black Ops don’t exist
* Bioshock-Is solely developed by 2K Australia and not released in the US until 2010. As a consequence, it is less notable and the second game doesn’t exist. Bioshock Infinite still gets made but it’s titled Columbia and not connected to Bioshock in any way
*Assassin’s Creed-Still made but the US copy is very censored compared to the Canadian, British and Australian version. Bootleg copies proliferate until 2012 when a full release happens. Only three games are made by the present day although a fourth one is rumored
* Halo-No games released after Halo 3. Some rereleases are made in the 2010’s but it stays a trilogy
* Mass Effect-First game is toned down a lot from OTL, to the point it performs poorly. No sequels are ever made.
* Half-Life-Original games aren’t impacted. However after the SAFETY Act is overturned Valve ends up actually making Half-Life 3

When Alan Dershowitz, Marilyn Manson, Russ Feingold, and Ron Paul all agree something's bad, well, that's not a good sign, IMO...

-"AH.com's token libertarian"
-16-year democratic reign filled with censorship, foreign wars, and economic chaos.
-Some shit about "Ron Paul's revolution" gets written in the 2010s

Hmm... I wonder. Real mystery on our hands here folks.

Last edited:
-"AH.com's token libertarian
-16-year democratic reign filled with censorship, foreign wars, and economic chaos.
-Some shit about Ron Paul's revolution get's written in the 2010s

Hmm... I wonder. Real mystery on our hands here folks.

I will neither confirm nor deny the implications you’re drawing.