He'll be a better match than Bacon VIII, I can tell you that. But in 1518 Catherine might be pass her childbearing days.

Manuel was a good husband to both of her sisters, so there's that going for her. In OTL she didn't have any pregnancies in her late thirties, but possibly, in a life where she wasn't drained by six previous pregancies, she may be able to conceive a child or two. There will also be a factor of desperation, as she will have had no children at this point. I also feel that she may be more likely to have children with Manuel than Henry VIII later in life as he managed to have 13 IOTL, with women who shared the same genes as Catalina.

Chapter 3, April 1503
Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos, April 1503

Catalina sat in a chair in her mother’s chambers, a short distance away from where her mother sat at her desk, candlelight illuminating them as the sun had gone down two hours ago. The Infanta signed a document from Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, indicating that she had approved El Gran Capitan’s request for more men for the war against the French in Naples, all that would be needed know is her mother’s signature and seal. She heard the sound of furious scratching of quill on parchment from her mother’s direction, and she got up to deliver the one she had just signed. As she set the document onto the pile of four others, she looked over the Queen’s shoulder and asked,”What are you writing out mother?”
The older woman paused her writing for a moment and turned to her daughter,”A decree, forbidding violence against the friendly natives in our colonies. Any man who kills, mutilates, tortures, or rapes an Indio will be hanged until death takes them. Capital offenses by Indios must be tried by a regional court. ”
Catalina tilted her head a little,”Why that particular method of execution?”
“Well, to bruise the ego of a Hidalgo who wishes to do such a thing, many of them think hanging is only fit for common criminals, thus by treating them as such we dissuade them from doing such things.”
Catalina smiled,”You are very wise mama, Castile and her colonies will continue to prosper thanks to you.”
Her mother shook her head,”I merely do what God would want me to. Besides, when I am gone, Castile will need someone to steward it should your sister prove unable to rule. That person is you, my daughter, you have already been so helpful, and I will speak to your father and tell him of my wishes.”
Catalina felt overjoyed, but maintained a humble demeanor,”You give me too much credit mother, but I will do whatever is required of me.”
Queen Isabella smiled,”Good girl, have you heard the news from England?”
The infanta shook her head,”No I have not mother, what has happened?”
Her mother grimaced, as if what she was about to say pained her, and paused to stamp her seal on the decree. Once she was finished, the Queen turned to her daughter with a pained expression,”Tis sad news, the English Queen, Elizabeth has passed on her thirty-seventh birthday, of childbed fever, though at least the babe she died birthing is healthy.” (1)
Tears welled up in Catalina’s eye and she shook her head,”That’s so unfair, Elizabeth was always so kind to me, she did not deserve that.”
Her mother nodded solemnly,”Si, but you and I both know just how unfair life has been to those we cherish… The least we can do for them is to not fall into despair, and to do right by those who are still with us.”
“You are right mother, is there any good news from England?”
“Yes, there is actually. King Henry has accepted the proposal that your sister Juana’s eldest, Eleanor, should marry the new Prince of Wales.”
“Good, the marriage should help young Henry solidify his rule once he is king.”
“I hope so Catalina, I hope so....."

(1) Here Elizabeth of York's youngest child, Catherine Tudor lives past infancy

Last edited:
And so Elizabeth of York is gone. Always so sad. She seems to have been a woman much loved by her family. I think her death really had a terrible effect on her husband and her surviving son.

And so Elizabeth of York is gone. Always so sad. She seems to have been a woman much loved by her family. I think her death really had a terrible effect on her husband and her surviving son.

I think it certainly did, IOTL he only outlived her for a few years, while I'm sure the loss of his mother may have made Henry VIII a bit less empathetic than he otherwise would've been. Thank you very much!

Drat, I really wanted Marguerite as next Princess of Wales. But I guess that Eleanor would do. And baby Catherine survived a least.

Drat, I really wanted Marguerite as next Princess of Wales. But I guess that Eleanor would do. And baby Catherine survived a least.

I think Margurerite would've been interesting, but I don't exactly see much reason for the English to want to ally with the French here, and Eleanor does have the Lancastrian blood to give further legitimacy to the Tudors. I thought I'd at least show Henry VII that small mercy of making his wife's death not be in vain. Thank you!

I think Margurerite would've been interesting, but I don't exactly see much reason for the English to want to ally with the French here, and Eleanor does have the Lancastrian blood to give further legitimacy to the Tudors. I thought I'd at least show Henry VII that small mercy of making his wife's death not be in vain. Thank you!
Marguerite would have chances if her brother was already King of France, not when she is sister of a simple heir presumptive who can be replaced by a son... Plus Henry VII wanted Spanish (and/or Austrian) alliance and a daughter-in-law with Lancastrian blood from a well consolidated dynast.

True that, true that. But still, it would have been interesting.
Yes, but you need a different POD for that: longer living but still childless Arthur and at least one between Pierre de Bourbon and Louis de Montpensier living longer (so Suzanne married Alençon) and Louis XII and Louise of Savoy deciding who York was a better match than Narbonne for Marguerite.

Chapter 4, November 1504
November 27th, 1504, Medina del Campo

She stood by the bed, barely holding back tears as her mother lay in her bed, the many prayers mixing with her mother’s raspy breath to create a symphony of tragedy. Still, illness would not stop her mother from making the sign of the cross, as she did countless times during her life, a testament to the Queen of Castile’s piety. She barely heard her mother implore her,”Come hija.”
Catalina bent down and embraced her mother gently, her face brushing up against the right corner of her mother’s wimple, and the queen gave her a weak smile,”Catalina, my youngest, your presence here gives me great comfort. Though I die today, I die happy, for I know that you and Maria will live good lives after I am gone.”
Catalina took a shaky breath, several hot tears falling down her cheek,”Thank you mother, for all that you have done for us, I will cherish my memories of you for the rest of my days.”
Her mother smiled at this, and Catalina returned to the group of other female attendees, including most notably the two Beatriz’s, her tutor, Beatriz de Galindo, as well as her mother’s childhood friend Beatriz de Bobadilla, who had protected her mother throughout her entire life. Soon afterwards her father visited her mother’s bedside and was barely able to hide his sorrow, as her mother caressed his cheek and said,”Ferdinand, my love, thank for always being by my side. Though it pains me to see your sadness, remember that it is God’s will that I go to the hereafter on this day, and that I will finally join Juan, Isabella, and Miguel.”
King Ferdinand gave Queen Isabella one final kiss, and declared,”Isabella, though I have been with other women in the past, I was foolish, for no other woman could compare to you. Know that nothing we have accomplished will disappear, because by upholding your accomplishments, the love that I have always bore for you will never die.”
The Queen gave her husband one last loving gaze, and then took one final ragged breath, closing her eyes for the last time. Her father turned to the crowd with heartbreak on his face and announced,”The Queen has passed from this world to the next, God help us.”

Last edited: