• Post made for three hours last night (9pm-12am EST) have been deleted. This was necessary due to some problems with server maintenance. Anyone who had problems logging into their account during this time should be fine now.

The Star Spangled Empire: The Japanese-American War of 1853 and Beyond

Can you explain how this works a little bit more?

I'm not exactly understanding how it relates to funding, procurement, or logistics, and I don't really understand how it even saves anyone money.
As an American I find a bill designed to save money that winds up not doing so to be entirely realistic.

Will the us deploy the uss pennsylvania? I mean it is 120-guns ship but it also ends up becoming a receiving ship

So it seems like the US would best be served by raiding Japanese coastal shipping/ fishing and lightly defended coastal towns. The largest ground effort should be something like trying to conquer Okinawa to use as a base.

So it seems like the US would best be served by raiding Japanese coastal shipping/ fishing and lightly defended coastal towns. The largest ground effort should be something like trying to conquer Okinawa to use as a base.
More than likely. I’m sure once the naval commanders see how closely built and wooden Japanese towns are they may just decide to try and set as many fires as possible. Break their navy, set fire to the cities, grab a foothold on the ground, and let internal affairs collapse the government is likely how it may play out.

Yeah my wording was horrible, and I left out some stuff (my bad).

It lets more private interests participate in the war, and are allowed to reap the benefits of doing so. Privateers are obvious in terms of what they get out of it, and other companies/individuals will be able to begin trading in Japan should the efforts succeed.

Budgeting is hard enough as an individual, and the intricacies of budgeting on a national level is entirely beyond me so I apologize if it's really poorly put together.

dcharleos

Donor
I read it as akin to the war bonds program. OP, correct me if I'm wrong though.
But how do you get war bonds from this: "this proposal gave private citizens the ability to directly contribute or participate in the war effort as “Authorized Non-Combatant Assistance”. "

That seems to imply that people can donate their labor. Their slaves?

and this: "This act served two purposes, first to prevent “atrocious and unnecessary” overspending by the government,"

Surely no one is saying that debt financing isn't the same thing as spending.

and this: "The Wartime Investment Act promised an up front payment of 25% of the worth of any cargo being carried by private vessels, with another 25% being given upon the vessel’s return."

So...a private merchant marine gets paid for taking the load to the US fleet, then 50% of the value of the cargo on top of it?! How is that not "overspending?"

And: "Privateers were contracted and levied, and restrictions on arming privately held ships were relaxed."

And how does preying on the commerce of Japan, an isolationist nation, help finance a war and supply the US forces? Are they saying that the US is going to supply the US Army and Navy's operations in Japan through piracy?

Knowing the dangers full well, the Department of War looked to gather the largest naval force possible that would allow for an overwhelming thrust into Japanese waters.
Small nitpick here. The Department of War was more analogous to the modern Department of the Army, strictly controlling the army's affairs. It wouldn't have the "jurisdiction" to manage a naval fleet. It didn't really have the DoD role that a lot of people think it had. At the time, the Department of the Navy and the War Department were both equivalent cabinet offices. Other than that, I really like what you've done so far, and can't wait for more.

On July 9th, 1853, the United States Senate voted to declare war on the Tokugawa Shogunate on the grounds of the murder of American citizens, and the destruction of military assets. The vote was passed 56-6, with opponents of the decision derided publicly by both fellow senators and the American public at large.

The clash in "Edo Harbor" is on 22 June. The report could not possibly reach the US by 9 July, in only 17 days.

The US Senate does not have the power to declare war. Congress does. Both Houses must vote on any declaration.

Congress was not in session on 9 July 1853. Congress met in a brief special session from 4 March to 11 April 1853, and did not meet again until 5 December. If the report from Japan was considered so urgent that a special session would be called to act on it, the session would be scheduled for several weeks later. (When the Civil War became "hot" in 1861, with rebel forces bombarding Fort Sumter on 15 April, President Lincoln called for a special session to meet on 4 July, 2 1/2 months later.)

The Senate vote could not be 56-6, because while there were 62 Senate seats (for 31 states), six seats were vacant as of 9 July.

That's four serious errors of detail in just the first posting.

Yeah, seriously. So what if a few dates or procedural things are inaccurate? I guarantee there are some things in my own timeline along those same lines that are off. No timeline is 100% accurate; if it was, it would just be copy-pasting an actual history book.

OP, don't be discouraged by any rude naysayers. This timeline is incredibly original and incredibly well-written. I am incredibly excited to see where this goes, and you have a loyal reader for the duration of this!