The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

And the French citizens in Normandy are totally cool with the English governing them? Really? They kicked them out several times before.
Better the Protestant English than the Catholic French is the Norman view. At least London doesn't tend to interfere too much - the Duchy of Normandy is more or less autonomous by the modern day, with a devolved government under the Duke, who is a cousin of some degree to the current monarch of the senior line in London - the Norman Tudors and the London ones have intermarried a fair number of times over the past 500 years, starting with Richard's granddaughter and Lionel's grandson (I think, I'd have to check my notes...)

And the kings of France are just gonna tolerate the English lording over Normandy like that? Renaissance France? Really? Did every Norman suddenly become anti French?

And the kings of France are just gonna tolerate the English lording over Normandy like that? Renaissance France? Really? Did every Norman suddenly become anti French?
Well, Henry isn't daft. He's buttering the Normans up with tax breaks and freedoms in spheres like religion that the French haven't allowed. Don't forget Rouen has become something of a haven for religious exiles ITTL, much like Geneva was OTL. Henry himself is still fervently Catholic, but if being religiously tolerant, will help him hold Normandy, he'll do it, at least ITTL.

Francis is still licking his wounds after Pavia, and his heir Henri doesn't seem to have been much of a general. And once you're into the third generation, well, that's a lot of Anglicisation to get rid of, particularly when England has Hapsburg and Danish help at hand in exchange for Henry's intervention in Scandinavia in the 1530s.

Last edited:
And the French citizens in Normandy are totally cool with the English governing them? Really? They kicked them out several times before.
Well, Henry isn't daft. He's buttering the Normans up with tax breaks and freedoms in spheres like religion that the French haven't allowed. Don't forget Rouen has become something of a haven for religious exiles ITTL, much like Geneva was OTL. Henry himself is still fervently Catholic, but if being religiously tolerant, will help him hold Normandy, he'll do it, at least ITTL.

Francis is still licking his wounds after Pavia, and his heir Henri doesn't seem to have been much of a general. And once you're into the third generation, well, that's a lot of Anglicisation to get rid of, particularly when England has Hapsburg and Danish help at hand in exchange for Henry's intervention in Scandinavia in the 1530s.
The elite should be relatively easy to deal with. Pro-French nobles will be kicked out and their lands given to pro-English Norman or even English nobles.
"Middle" classes - I'm thinking of merchants for instance - are going to submit to England of course.
But I think lower classes may be more difficult to Anglicise rapidly, especially after so much time under French rule. There's the linguistic barrier to overcome too - just as lower classes in England didn't speak French under Norman rule - and if Henry decides to make English the official language it risks triggering a hostile reaction from the Normans. Another difficulty to deal with IMO would be the Catholic population in Normandy. Protestant refugees will be pro-English of course but a good part of the Catholics won't be very happy to see so many Protestants flooding in.

The elite should be relatively easy to deal with. Pro-French nobles will be kicked out and their lands given to pro-English Norman or even English nobles.
"Middle" classes - I'm thinking of merchants for instance - are going to submit to England of course.
But I think lower classes may be more difficult to Anglicise rapidly, especially after so much time under French rule. There's the linguistic barrier to overcome too - just as lower classes in England didn't speak French under Norman rule - and if Henry decides to make English the official language it risks triggering a hostile reaction from the Normans. Another difficulty to deal with IMO would be the Catholic population in Normandy. Protestant refugees will be pro-English of course but a good part of the Catholics won't be very happy to see so many Protestants flooding in.
Oh you're right about the lower classes not speaking English, but at the same time, if Henry can get the elites and merchants on side, so trade etc isn't harmed by the change in leadership, I imagine that to many, it would be just that, a change of leadership that didn't have much impact on their day-to-day lives. There will be religious resentment, sure - at least one Tudor is assassinated because of it - but I think the Normans would accept the newer faith in exchange for a lighter hand on the reins/a chance to get involved in North America. As I said, by the modern day, they'll be operating under a devolved government with only minimal interference/loyalty required to/from London.

So all the French nobles, barons, dukes and counts are gonna be completely cool with the English grabbing Normandy? All the merchants are just gonna become pro-english and abandon all sense of national identity? Did all of Normandy just ignore that they kicked the english out several times before? There should be a national fever rally to reclaim Normandy. Not to mention that the English are gonna have logistical issue with controlling the area as they are cut away from the Isles surrounded by hostile frenchmans. Why would they obey a little English brat to rule over them? Normandy has been part of france since John I of England's time. Gonna take a hell lot more than a few generations to make it english.

Is Henry VIII more competent than Edward III and Henry V and his brothers all of a sudden? Are Francis just gonna roll over like that. The man who fought Charles V several times over? Is Henry of all people that scary to him?

And why would Mary Boleyn be called Beatrix of all things? What does that mean to the peasants really? The golden queen? Is not Good Queen Mary enough? And further more aside from popping out a couple of kids and not being made into a stew like Bessie what has she accomplished to earn that honorific? Or has she suddenly become a Matilda of Scotland/Anne of Bohemia/Katherine of Aragon figure up to eleven? A jumped up dime a dozen courtiers daughter who stepped up from mistress who's sister caused a scandal?

Last edited:
So all the French nobles, barons, dukes and counts are gonna be completely cool with the English grabbing Normandy? All the merchants are just gonna become pro-english and abandon all sense of national identity? Did all of Normandy just ignore that they kicked the english out several times before? There should be a national fever rally to reclaim Normandy. Not to mention that the English are gonna have logistical issue with controlling the area as they are cut away from the Isles surrounded by hostile frenchmans. Why would they obey a little English brat to rule over them? Normandy has been part of france since John I of England's time. Gonna take a hell lot more than a few generations to make it english.

Is Henry VIII more competent than Edward III and Henry V and his brothers all of a sudden? Are Francis just gonna roll over like that. The man who fought Charles V several times over? Is Henry of all people that scary to him?

And why would Mary Boleyn be called Beatrix of all things? What does that mean to the peasants really? The golden queen? Is not Good Queen Mary enough? And further more aside from popping out a couple of kids and not being made into a stew like Bessie what has she accomplished to earn that honorific? Or has she suddenly become a Matilda of Scotland/Anne of Bohemia/Katherine of Aragon figure up to eleven? A jumped up courtiers daughter who stepped up from mistress who's sister caused a scandal?
Francis has decided to focus on Italy/Navarre rather than Normandy, Henri isn't the general his father was, and the English are pushing a rather strong Anglicisation program in Normandy. Anthony Knivert has already taken 2000 soldiers to Calais, there are doubtless more in Rouen/other key cities. They can't go without some kind of structure around them. That will only increase when Dickon goes over. The Victorians held the entirety of the British Empire with just 4000 imperial servants in the field. Henry can hold Normandy with half that number, particularly if he gets tradesmen/religious exiles on side.

I agree that Beatrix is unlikely, but it was the original title of this story so I wanted to slip it in somewhere. And Marie has led England out of mourning for Katherine of Aragon. She's more than secured the succession. She's played the Kate Parr role and reunited Henry with his daughter. She's even found a role for his bastard as her son's companion and future advisor. Not every woman would have done that. Given her marriage started a war, she's managed to usher in an era of reasonably stable peace - helped by her husband's astonishing reputation for running rampant on the battlefield. TTL Henry certainly has a reputation to match Edward I's, if not to better it. Calling Marie the bringer of happiness, therefore, made sense in my head. As for The Golden Queen, that's a reference to her fair hair. Nothing more, nothing less.

So Francis is a complete idiot who goes for Navarre and Italy rather than recover his own realm? All of Normandy should be rolling up their sleeve to kick out the English, both nobles and commoners. Henry V's brothers who was cabable could not hold Normandy for long. Why would they accept another English overlord after centuries of history that prove that they did NOT accept it? We are talking about 16-century France here. And the aggressive anglifican policy with soldiers in French cities would only backfire against French citizens.

Last edited:
So Francis is a complete idiot who goes for Navarre and Italy rather than recover his own realm? All of Normandy should be rolling up their sleeve to kick out the English, both nobles and commoners. Henry V's brothers who was cabable could not hold Normandy for long. Why would they accept another English overlord after centuries of history that prove that they did NOT accept it? We are talking about 16-century France here. And the aggressive anglifican policy with soldiers in French cities would only backfire against French citizens.
Look at the date , Nationalism is not yet a thing , only the nobles really care about "France", and only then if they benefit ( Protestant Nobles will prefer Henry VIII due to his tolerance) . The peasants just want "fair" taxes , "just" lords. and protection If we go with Normandy going Protestant then the lure of Catholic France is about nil. They would much rather live with an English King that treats them as equals than a French one who wants to send the Inquisition in. Just like OTL Germany , religion is the big thing that will decide the loyalty of most, if the Clergy support Henry VIII then the people will.

I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I agree I might be stretching things, but considering the British Empire OTL, I don't think the Tudors holding Normandy, and indeed the English throne, into the modern day is completely ASB. It's not exactly a quarter of the globe...

Look at the date , Nationalism is not yet a thing , only the nobles really care about "France", and only then if they benefit ( Protestant Nobles will prefer Henry VIII due to his tolerance) . The peasants just want "fair" taxes , "just" lords. and protection If we go with Normandy going Protestant then the lure of Catholic France is about nil. They would much rather live with an English King that treats them as equals than a French one who wants to send the Inquisition in. Just like OTL Germany , religion is the big thing that will decide the loyalty of most, if the Clergy support Henry VIII then the people will.
Thank you for stating my case far more eloquently than I could. I'm much better at the personal than the political...

Actually the 100-years War played a vital role in developing a more national French identity. The French courts and Estates General should be pressuring to relieve Normandy.

Interlude: Time of Grace Cast (2009) (I)
Right. Before we dive into epilogues, here is the cast list for 'Time of Grace', one of the two major period dramas TTL. Released in 2009 to mark the 500th anniversary of Henry VIII's accession to the throne, it is something of a staple of English period drama. Split over 26 1-hour episodes, Time of Grace opens at the funeral of Katherine of Aragon and carries the viewers through Henry's widowerhood and the first decade of his marriage to Queen Marie, ending on a high note with the progress of 1531.

Henry VIII - Sam Heughan

Henry VIII.jpg

Marie, Queen of England - Carey Mulligan

Queen Marie.jpg

Princess Maria - Emma Bolger

Young Maria.jpg

Mary, Dowager Queen of France - Sophie Skelton

Mary, Duchess of Suffolk.jpg

Charles Brandon - Henry Cavill

Charles Brandon 2.jpg

Young Anne Boleyn - Bailee Madison

Young Anne.jpg

Older Anne - Natalie Dormer

Anne, Marchioness of Lancaster.jpg

Harry Percy - Jack Gleeson

Harry Percy.jpg

George Boleyn - Skandar Keynes

George Boleyn.jpg

Kathy Stafford - Rachael Henley

Kathy Stafford.jpg

Last edited:
Interlude: Time of Grace Cast (2009) (II)
Bessie Blount - Nell Hudson

Bessie Blount.jpg

Mark Blount - Andrew Gower

Mark Blount.jpg

Cardinal Wolsey - Sam Neill

Wolsey.jpg

Thomas Boleyn - Nick Dunning

Papa Boleyn II.jpg

Elizabeth Boleyn - Kristin Scott Thomas

Elizabeth Howard.jpg

Honour Fitzgerald - Rachel Hurd-Wood

Honour Fitzgerald.jpg

Meg Douglas - Julia Winter

Young Meg.jpg

Kate Parr - Georgie Henley

Kate Parr.jpg

Marguerite de Valois - Cate Blanchett

Marguerite de Valois.jpg

Francis I - Kit Harington

Francis I 2.jpg

Last edited:
I should say that major thanks go to @VVD0D95 for coming up with the title and to @aurora01 for basically casting much of the next generation (you'll get another cast list for the next period drama after the epilogues).

Many thanks also go to @vandevere for pointing out that Henry's colouring was very important. I know I didn't go with Keith Mitchell, but you pointed me in the direction of Sam, so thank you. If anyone else made casting suggestions, then I appreciate it, whether or not I used them (I know I stole the idea of Bessie being Nell Hudson from someone, but I can't think who...)

I didn't want to like these as it means we are heading for the Endgame and I don't want this run to end as it's been fantastic.

More please @FalconHonour!
There are eight epilogues, a family tree or two, another cast list and various bits of miscellany to go yet. I'm not quite done yet. But I think we're talking a matter of weeks or months now... It's been a fun ride though, thanks for coming along!