Intermission - Images from 'The Fingerprints of Epstein' 1977 - 1983
Now then, we have our wee update on the images that I'll admit is overdue by this point plus its perhaps a good reason I have a less than demanding update to do. The reason being is sadly enough I have caught covid for a second time and I'm feeling tired and weary to write anything big so it is quite a blessing that I only have this to do, not to mention that you all like to get your usual Friday updates on TFOE however for a treat, this'll be an rare Thursday update just so I can get this out there without worrying about anything else. Anyway, let's get on with events happening since then...

john-lennon-and-yoko-ono-at-president-jimmy-carters-inaugural-ball-on-january-20-1977-in.jpg

John Lennon during an award ceremony in 1977 in which 'Crackerbox Palace' was nominated

reunion_colour.jpg

Three of The Beatles during Eric Clapton and Patti Boyd's Wedding in 1979

ringo-starr-barbara-bach-wedding-21259511.jpg.webp

Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach during their wedding in 1981

a215d08b18f17943caf4685fe80b7f5b.jpg

George Harrison with son Dhani during the recording of 'Two Faced' in 1979

0502.jpg

John Lennon relaxing with a guitar in a hotel room in Argentina during the band's time there in 1980

Paul_singing_wonderful_christmastime.jpg

Paul McCartney during rehearsals in December 1979 just prior before the band would play in Israel for the first time

12-14-79b.jpg

Rare photo from the crowd during one of The Beatles' shows on the 1979 UK tour

MV5BOWI2M2NjM2YtMjQyYy00NTA2LWJlYWItYmU0ZjdkM2U0ZjgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDk1MzUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Ringo and George during the shooting of the 1978 TV special 'Ringo'

image-757505.png

Ringo Starr, George Martin and Paul McCartney during the music video 'Take It Away'

john-lennon-at-home-in-the-dakota-apartments-with-son-sean-lennon-HD1MMT.jpg

John Lennon with son Sean sometime in 1981

61ae0d4c4ab04151a880b23a1362af3d.jpg

Ringo Starr performing live during the band's 1979 UK tour

fra_st_georges_day.jpeg

George Harrison along with George Martin and Paul McCartney during the mixing of 'Tug Of War' in 1982

lennon-ce03cdc1-2900-4543-b697-cdeb20741ace.jpg

John Lennon seen here in 1983

1695291611600.jpeg

Paul McCartney performing live during the band's show in San Diego USA during the tour in 1980

FaceApp_1695291173618.jpg

Brian Epstein seen here in 1978

84cf424e01afc829a1cce2ab8a13c60a--monty-python-george-harrison.jpg
George Harrison during his cameo in Life Of Brian

TELEMMGLPICT000210846895_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpeg

George Harrison and Ringo Starr with Billy Preston in 1980 following the end of the Two Faced World Tour

ThrillerStudio.png

Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson, along with George Martin, during the mixing of 'Say Say Say' in 1983

tumblr_nryzf5OJjv1squ2rro1_500.jpg

John Lennon during the recording of 'Meat City' for the 'Two Faced' album in 1979

images

George Harrison during an interview for the release of 'Tug Of War' in 1982

81-03-20_Sao%20Paulo_preshow_04.jpg

Set up of the stage needed for The Beatles' show in Sau Paulo in 1980 with crowds yet to appear

That'll be all for now. If anyway has any edited images to present feel free to do so as I will admit my photo editing skills aren't all that good other than using a face tool to add stuff as you've seen with that edited photo of Brian Epstein above. So anyway, hope you liked that update and hope to hear from you all soon!

Attachments

• FaceApp_1695291173618.jpg
    FaceApp_1695291173618.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 100
It's Been A Hard Night's Day And We've Been Working Like Some Dogs...
Now then, we move onto 1984 in which not only do we get a new Beatles album but also a brand new Beatles movie in which after some thought of how it would go, taking the place of OTL's Broad Street, I have no gotten something of a fairly decent idea as with all due respect to Macca, I have nothing to lose to create a somewhat more interesting plot compared to what he had come up with. So anyway, lets move onto the next update!

It's Been A Hard Night's Day And We've Been Working Like Some Dogs...

Extract from 'Beatles At The Movies' by Roy Carr
Ever since the release of Magical Mystery Tour, the idea of another movie staring The Beatles had always been something of a little pipe dream for many (Yellow Submarine didn't count as the band themselves were all just in for cameos at the end of the that movie) yet no one really knew what it could or should be about though technically speaking they had made a fifth feature film was was the concert film Rock Show that had been shot during their 1975/76 world tour though its placement in the Beatles' film canon library is often one that is a source of debate among Beatles fans everywhere. The band's three picture deal with United Artist had long since been fulfilled meaning there was no real pressure to make another Beatles movie and while the Monty Python movies had all the band appearing in them, they were nothing more that extended cameos with only Ringo Starr having the more active career in acting in which 1984 was looking to already be a busy year for him in which he had been given the role to become the narrator of a new children's TV series based on the works of the The Railway Series books by the Rev. W. Awdry but that is another story in itself. That's not to say that there hadn't been ideas for a Beatles movie over the years with perhaps the most notable one being the idea of adapting JRR Tolkien's fantasy epic The Lord Of The Rings to the big screen but alas the idea soon fell apart [1] though curiously enough the idea of a Lord Of The Rings film series under The Beatles wouldn't die as many years would show under Apple Films but that is another story...

Yes, The Beatles had access to Apple Films in which was already make a name for themselves with the company's next film, A Private Function, due for release later in 1984 yet the thought of another Beatles movie in which could recreate the zany nature of those early 1960s movies in the setting of the 1980s with the band all in their forties by this point seemed like a laughable idea with George Harrison being the one who wasn't so keen on the idea of another Beatles movie, John Lennon seemed more on the fence, Ringo Starr didn't seem to mind yet it was Paul McCartney who seemed to be the most enthusiastic of trying another Beatles movie. Ever since working with Michael Jackson on the music video for Say Say Say and being utterly blown away by some of his ground-breaking music videos such as as Thriller, McCartney had been inspired if maybe he or the rest of the band could do such similar things with any future music video they could do yet so too was the idea of having another feature film and for good reason.

1984 was to mark the 20th anniversary of The Beatles' legendary appearance on the Ed Sullivan show which, as they say, the rest is history but it also not only marked the anniversary when Beatlemania took off in America but also marked the time of the band's first feature film A Hard Day's Night. In McCartney's mind, what better way to mark such a special year with not only a new album, which the band had agreed with in theory though nothing truly concrete, but also maybe a feature film? Fair to say though, the idea of another Beatles film didn't exactly set the world on fire, even though Beatles fans who had hoped during the previous decade of seeing the band on screen together such as the long imagine Band On The Run feature film who grown lukewarm on the idea which went to show how some felt the band were past it by this point.

However, Brian Epstein did feel that there was potential in the idea of another Beatles movie yet was unsure how it could be done though McCartney would actually make an effort in trying to write out a draft summary of the film in November 1983 even if neither of them had agree on anything regarding a film which went to show how keen he was on the idea of a film. His film proposal was called Give My Regards To Broad Street ( the title being a pun on George M. Cohan's song Give My Regards to Broadway and refers to London's Broad Street railway station) though the reaction from his bandmates was not what he expected. To put it bluntly, they all hated it with John Lennon hating how the whole film was 'nothing more than a dream' which he later admitted stating that "Macca might be a good musician, but a lousy filmmaker". George Harrison, being the one in charge of Apple Films, would state that if this was his bandmate pitching them a film proposal, he would have chucked him out on the kerb.

Ringo Starr tried to be reasonable, Billy Preston wasn't interested and even Brian Epstein felt embarrassed by it and he must have gotten flashbacks to Magical Mystery Tour in which that film had been McCartney's idea to begin with and how that film had been a mad affair that he hadn't want to go through with again and knew that if the band were to star in a film like what McCartney was suggesting, he knew had bad it would be for all concern and he would have to step in as manager and put his foot down on the idea and would take the film out of McCartney's hands, perhaps much the the relief of the rest of the band although oddly enough, the idea that McCartney had suggested of a reformed criminal that is working with the band, is missing along with the master tapes he was supposed to give to the factory the previous day and that to make matters worse that a man from New York called Mr Allen Rath (an obvious stand in for Allen Klein) to whom the studio owes money, arrives with the news that he will take over the record company if the tapes aren't found by midnight [2]. This idea would mark as a basis for the film in which from the ashes of McCartney's supposedly poor film would arise a new film that would seem to make improvements which according to some of the band wasn't hard to do.

---------
Extract from 'Ancient: The Beatles In The 1980's' by Alyson Henderson
From out of nothing, the plot of a film starting to take shape in which by now, even the idea of a new Beatles film had managed to catch the attention of the rest of the band, albeit more like they were all wanting to show off that they could do a better job than what McCartney could do and that it was just a classic case of egos getting in the way yet from this the basis of a new film started to appear in which from perhaps total accident, the new Beatles movie was greenlit...now was a case of who could director and write the film in which would finish of The Beatles' film saga? As it turned out, only one seemed to fit the bill and was considered a tried and tested person in the form of Richard Lester, the director of three of the band's last movies and one that they all knew and had just finished directing the film called Finders Keepers which sadly to him would be flop at the box office though it seemed that another Beatles film might give him more work.

To write the film and try and put together many of the band's suggestions to Lee Minoff, the man who had written the screenplay for the film Yellow Submarine in which many of the band liked his work on that film and suggested him to take part in but admitted he needed some help and that was when Charles Wood, the man who had helped co-write the band's second film Help! was brought on board to help with the screenplay and that this would mark the first and only time that two writers from two separate Beatles films would work together. Then came the idea of what the film should be called or what the plot was about in which it being a 20th anniversary film, the idea then came about with it acting as a direct sequel to A Hard Day's Night that would ignore the continuity of all the other Beatles films in between (not that they weren't all connected to begin with) and that it would pick up from the events of that film twenty years later with how the band are nowadays.

For the title of the film, A Hard Night's Day [3], it is unknown who came up with the title as for a time the film was given the working title of Beatles 1984 for much of its production, but whoever did so, the title would stick which would act as a nice 'bookend' title from their first feature film. The new film would actually be fast tracked into production in which it would be December 1983 in which the film would be announced with a release for Christmas the following year though reaction to the film was first of surprise yet with some scepticism at how a new Beatles film would play out though that said there was one bit of good news that would get fans excited in which to coincide with the new film and that was to be a new album though in truth it was more of a glorified soundtrack for the new film much like what A Hard Days Night, Help! and Magical Mystery Tour had all been before and this would be no exception with the songs having no connection to the film other than they were just Beatles songs.

The recording process of the new album was a more staggered operation in which they would only get a week to record songs before having to leave to film before going back to record and the process would repeat. However, when it came to writing the title song, it would prove to be the most challenging as it the idea was to have it more or less be an updated version of A Hard Day's Night and while the song was written and recorded, Lennon would express that he was unhappy with the tune, even with the help of McCartney and even the rest of the band trying to add a lyric or two in which in the end, no one was happy with it and it was then they decided that trying to make a 'sequel' song in which would leave no one satisfied was doomed to fail and the song would be dropped leaving the album as the only Beatles soundtrack not to have a song that mentioned the title on it and the song would not be heard until the Anthology albums would be released just over a decade later.

Nonetheless, what they lost with that song, the album would have a number of good songs on it in which Lennon would have a replacement song in which would be a song called Just Like (Starting Over) [4] which had had written as a little love tune to May but had remained stuck on the cutting room floor but would actually get a new lease of life for the film in which it would almost act as a substitute for the title song in which the lyrics would be rewritten to act as a sort of 'getting the band back together' mindset. The other two songs provided by Lennon for the new album would the raw and grungy sounding How Do You Sleep? which seemed like a song from Lennon's more politically charged songs of the early 70s and in contrast to that, there would be the rather then hip sounding (of the 1980s at least) I Don't Wanna Face It which all proved to be a very different selection of songs from Lennon. Harrison would provide his selection of three in which first up would be the easy going Life Itself, the other would be the rather quirky sounding Unconsciousness Rules and finally there would be the swirling sound That's The Way It Goes which would all complete his list of three songs for the album though he would later admit that he wasn't all that happy with his selection of songs on the album despite the help of his fellow bandmembers.

Finally, Paul McCartney would provide the album four songs, one of them would be for Ringo Starr to sing which would be the charming sounding song called Attention. For McCartney's own songs for the album, his selection of three songs would be modern (of the time) song called The Other Me, another song would be the ballad inspired So Bad which famously Lennon thought lyrically hated and would end up rewriting much of it with McCartney [5] and finally the big so called 11 o'clock number, and arguably the best song on the whole album would be the gloriously sounding No More Lonely Nights which in contrast to what Lennon felt of So Bad, he loved it and seemed certain to be the film's main song though while they had the usual ten songs they needed for an album. However, How Do You Sleep? would have the more interesting backstory...

---------
Extract from 'In My Life' by John Lennon
The history of How Do You Sleep? is rather simple really...it is a middle finger aimed at Margret Thatcher and the Tories [6] but then again at that time, almost every young British band at that time, mostly the punk or metal groups all had a song or songs wanting to bring down the government because everyone hated Thatcher though the irony is that many of these musicians who was bragging about how much they hated her, they were all becoming richer because of her as that they were on the lucky side of the rich vs poor divide and were likely living a life that in truth many of their main audience could only dream about and in some ways I'd argued made those guys look like hypocrites. Of course, as I say that, it does make me sound like a hypocrite for writing an anti-Thatcher song given that I was either living up in the remote setting of of Durness in Scotland or a new home that me and May had bought just outside London in a rather wealthy part I might add, but the idea was a song that was not about me singing about my feelings on the Tories but rather what the people were saying about her.

The whole idea of the song was actually thanks to my son Julian who was still living near Liverpool at that the time was telling me how bad things were in the city because of Thatcherism at that time. Granted, much of the north of England, Wales and Scotland that had any heavy industry was being taken down left, right and centre which left many places devasted and perhaps arguably even after several years of economic regeneration, the scars are still there. To be fair though as I grow older, many of these industries were either on their last legs or run by some absolute muppets who were in some tough ass unions which all made it easy for Thatcher to take them down though I did feel for the many who would lose their jobs. This wouldn't have been an issue had those guys had alternate work to fall back on but they didn't and that is where much of the trouble happened in which Thatcher just threw these guys out to the wolves and I just felt compelled to write what I felt about her and the Conservatives.

I had written it just after we had finished Tug Of War yet it seemed a song I just couldn't seem to get going as I knew if I released it, it would get buried by the ocean of anti-Thatcher songs at that time and would easily get lost even with my name attached and in honesty, the idea of someone like me in my forties doing a protest song that was more popular with folk twenty years my junior would have seemed rather embarrassing of me doing it as I had lived through that and knew it couldn't work the same way again so I was stuck not knowing what to do. However when we did A Hard Night's Day and they mentioned that they needed a song aimed towards the villainous character called Allen Rath and I just so happened to have the perfect song for it so we used the song with very little change to the lyrics in which I mentioned to keep some traces of the song's roots which ends up making the character have this sort of Thatcher/Tory vibe about him.

Oddly enough, that song would actually get used a lot round in Liverpool on match days from supporters as a song to sing that was to aim their grievances and is perhaps still sung up on the terraces to this day I believe. With that, we soon had our film in place and honestly, none of us knew what we were all getting ourselves into.

----------
Other than The Beatles themselves, there would be a number of characters to work alongside the band in which there would be the return of the characters from A Hard Days Night being the band's on screen manager Norm (Norman Rossington) and the band's butt monkey and aging roadie Shake (John Junkin) who are both seen as somehow still with the band even after the events of the first film though the magic from those early Beatlemania days seems to be long past. However, a glaring missing character from the film is of course John McCartney, Paul's troublemaking Grandad in which it was planned for Wilfrid Brambell to reprise his role for the film but alas due to ill health and that he was suffering from cancer at the time, he turn down the offer and would pass away just a year later in January 1985.

The loss of the Grandad character might have been a blow for some who would have loved to see the old trickster get up to his usual tricks, it did lead the door for a new character to fill the role and as it show happens, they would have a new character to fill the void left by Grandad and in keeping with the tradition of having a Beatles relative in these movies from Paul's Grandad to Ringo's Aunt Jessica in Magical Mystery Tour, it would be the turn of John Lennon's crackpot Uncle Arthur Lennon who would play the role of a loudmouth colonel blimp style buffoon who is all talk and no show and yet ends up being forced on John to take care of him throughout the events of the movie with many keen watchers seeing him take much of Grandad's trickster mannerisms which shows how much the role was in mind for Brambell to reprise his role and that there wasn't much time to rewrite much of the script for the Uncle Arthur character.

The role of Uncle Arthur would be played by none other than The Beatles' hometown hero Ken Dodd who had actually been John Lennon's suggestion who, after reading the script, thought that he would be perfect for the role and that it would be something of a dream to work alongside him in which while Dodd and the band were both on the Apple label with Dodd having released an album the previous year, Now And Forever, the thought of Dodd taking part in the film wasn't something many thought of that well. While Ken Dodd might have been well known in the UK for his infamous long live comedy shows and some TV work he had been part of, film had shockingly been something he had not done yet and even some at Apple weren't exactly keen on the idea to cast someone who while well known in the UK an could act if given the chance might not translate well for an international audience even if he wasn't going to be the main focus.

Nonetheless, thanks to some Lennon apparently fighting tooth and nail on Ken Dodd's behalf, as well as the two men forming a good friendship during that time, Ken Dodd would get the part of the crackpot Uncle Arthur Lennon. Of course, Arthur Lennon wouldn't be the only new character for the film for the film would have a villainous character called Allen Rath played by Joe Pesci who at that time was an up and coming actor who had only just come off filming of the film Once Upon A Time In America and was one who those at Apple felt could be a coup to sign on but that having an American actor in the film might help the film gain more attention which seems strange considering that the main stars of the film are The Beatles but then again that was showing how some felt that even the band's name didn't have the same glamour as before.

Finally, there would be some other up and coming actors in which there would be a young Peter Capaldi, having just had a major breakthrough role in the film Local Hero the previous year who would get the role Harry [7], the reformed criminal working with the band who finds himself unwilling roped to work with Allen Rath and finally there would be the role of Steve [8], the son of The Beatles' roadie Shake who is following in his father's footsteps both as a roadie and sadly a bit of a fool in moments throughout the film, played by Only Fools And Horses actor Nicholas Lyndhurst. In the end, the film would be a bizarre mix of experience, new and untested actors along with The Beatles who all various skills of acting to their name with some better than others and was a really unknown cast list that many at Apple had no clue if it could really work but by now it was too late to change anything.

---------
When A Hard Night's Day was nearing the end of the recording session, Billy Preston's feelings about being outside of the band were starting to be more felt. Though he was still on good terms with the rest of the band as well as grateful for them all having helped at various times on all his previous albums with the most recent being his then newest album On the Air in which the rest of the band had all helped in working with him yet by now, the thought of being the fifth Beatle had now starting to lose its appeal as while he had no issues of having no songs any of the albums, he just felt that his time with the band was coming to an end and that he felt the band would be fine without him in which given how he remembered how he had come on board to help when the band was at a major crossroad in what the future might be, he might have well be part of the glue to keep them together though some would argue that Brian Epstein himself had a part to play in keeping the group together.

With his own addition problems at that time despite the help of the rest of the band, Preston wasn't feeling with it and the news of a new Beatles movie seemed to be the moment that made him think otherwise that his time with the band was up. It would be just before any work on the film would begin that Preston would make the announcement that he was wanting to leave and despite the shock of the rest of the band, they would actually gracefully accept his choice. Despite many rumours of bust ups or serious creative differences that would always come about whenever some leaves or when a band breaks up, Preston's departure from the group was actually a rather gentleman like affair in which the rest of the band would all realise that perhaps Preston was right about his time in the band was coming to an end though there might be times he might be needed to come back for something now or again if another Beatles album was possible though because of this, A Hard Night's Day would be the final Beatles album that Preston would be a full member of the band and official, The Beatles would become a four man band once again.

That said though, his own addition problems and what was to happen with him just a few years later could have been seen as for the best for the sake of the band though that is another story. When the news then leaked out of Preston's departure from the band, the idea of a member of The Beatles leaving the band might have been front page news some ten years ago but now the news was treated as nothing more than just a minor article on some newspaper column which went to show just how much the band's name was no longer hot property as it once was and the thoughts of the band going on even further might have crossed the minds of the rest of the band wondering if there was a future for The Beatles and that they should think otherwise find something different.

Nonetheless, with both recording and filming all done with few issues to talk about, the album for A Hard Night's Day would be released on December 14th 1984 with the film coming out just a week later on December 21st in what was looking to a Christmas period that might have many implications for the future of the band.

A Hard Night's Day (1984)

Side 1

1) Just Like (Starting Over)
2) Attention
3) The Other Me
4) Unconsciousness Rules
5) So Bad

Side 2
6) I Don't Wanna Face It
7) Life Itself
8) How Do You Sleep?
9) That's The Way It Goes
10) No More Lonely Nights

Reviews for the new album range from mixed to positive in which while the album mad several good songs on with No More Lonely Nights and How Do You Sleep? both being seen as stand out songs from the album with the former going straight in as number one in the singles charts with some saying that Harrison's Unconsciousness Rules and Life Itself being something of two hidden gems, the overall album was seen as not as good as Tug Of War from before which wasn't help that the album being titled as a sequel the previous album from twenty years ago likely didn't help matters though in the years since then the album itself has become more appreciated by many Beatles fans for it seeing the band try a different sound that wasn't like the typical 'Beatles' sound. Plus, in the years that followed, the album would get a special double LP deluxe edition which included other reworked Beatles songs as heard in the film [9] as well as a soundtrack from George Martin as seen in the film which to many Beatles fans is said to be the preferred version of A Hard Night's Day for any Beatles collection.

While the album would sell well enough commercially, reviews were overall mixed and in some ways all was depending if the film could be a hit over that Christmas period and many of the band would admit feeling nervous about if the film would be successful despite the feeling among the band other than McCartney that at least it seemed better than what McCartney had shown them was become the source of much mockery.

----------
The plot for A Hard Night's Day is simple enough in which the film takes off some twenty years after the events from the first film in which the band are no longer the next big thing as they once were and the film plays up some of the band's real life interests in which Harrison is interested in car racing, Starr is now into acting, McCartney seems to the only one interested in making music and is helped by a young Scotsman called Harry (Peter Capaldi) who is a reformed criminal who is young musician being taught by McCartney to try and help him go on a better path for his life and Lennon has been forced by his off screen relatives to keep an eye on his crackpot Uncle Arthur Lennon (Ken Dodd) from getting into trouble which leads into various moments of mishaps during the film.

However, each of their peaceful lives are all brought to a grinding halt when their long time manager from the first film, Norm (Norman Rossington) make an unexpected return to announce that he needs the band to come together once again in which it turns out their old studio (revealed to be Abbey Road Studios itself but never mentioned on film) is facing closure due to financial trouble and that the only way to keep the studio open is the band can get back together again to record a new album to help give the studio the help it needs but also that now is the time for the band to come together once again for a reunion show. Along the way, the reunite with their aging roadie, Shake (John Junkin), who despite his age is still the same as ever and he also has a son called Steve (Nicholas Lyndhurst) who is following in his father's footsteps not only as a roadie but a bit of a fool who mentions that he doesn't like The Beatles and prefers Frankie Goes To Hollywood (a reference to then up and coming Liverpool band who would end up being signed on the Apple label during that time).

One who is missing from the first film is Paul's trickster Grandad who is revealed that following the events of the previous movie, he sneaked off to Las Vegas to cause more trouble in making it rich but alas it is revealed that his trickster ways finally caught up with him and was arrested out in America though it is hinted that even then he might have escaped and no one knows where he went though as it turns out, his trickster ways still play a part in this movie. John's uncle Arthur Lennon takes up much of the Grandad character in the film in which a running joke is that he often rambles on various grand adventures he supposedly went on which make no sense in the context of the scene they are in though there is no denying there is great chemistry between him and the rest of the band showing how much the band all loved working with Ken Dodd.

However, while recording seems to go on pretty well with much of the music now on master tapes ready to start mixing, they are given a rude awakening in which from out of the shadows a sleezy loud mouth American called Allen Rath (played by Joe Pesci) who is a quite clear basis of the infamous Allen Klein who plays the role of the film's villain who has his eye on the studio site for his own benefits but as it turns out to make matters worse, the band's long standing contract with Norm is about to expire and that Rath has plans to not only take control of the band but to take all of the band's master tapes from their previous records which are all based there at the studio in which will give Mr. Rath full control of the band indefinite and that their lives will never be the same again. To make matters worse, mostly to Paul, is that the young protégé of his Harry has been roped in my Mr Rath to fall back on his criminal ways to steal the master tapes for not only their new album but for all their previous albums and that they only have 36 hours to get them back in which by midnight if they don't get them back then both the studio will be closed and that The Beatles and everything close to them including their own families will by under Allen Rath's control thus leading to why the film is called A Hard Night's Day.

The band's long-time manager Norm is shocked that no one was supposed to know about the expiry of his contract with the band but it turns out that Mr Rath found out about this little bit of information in which when he met Paul's Grandad in Las Vegas some several years ago in a game of gambling in which Grandad lost badly at while utterly drunk which the latter would let slip about this quirk with the band's contract and that would lead to Mr Rath to make his move proving that while not even in the movie, Grandad's actions still act as the lynchpin for much of the film's plot. The rest of the movie ends up with the band having to travel back to Liverpool in which they believe Harry could be with the tapes and are in a race against time to get the tapes back to save themselves in which along the way they meet several crazy characters from Liverpool along with some extended cameos from several such as the band's respective wives playing some roles in the film while each member of the band individually look back on some childhood places dear to their hearts which in a film that is mostly a musical comedy, it does have some moments of thought about it which does seem to acknowledge the band's time and place in the modern day and reflection on the old days.

Eventually by the end of the movie, the band manage to help Harry redeem himself in bringing back the tapes just before the deadline is out and thwarting Allen Rath's plans in the process and sending him packing with the film ending, much like with the original film twenty years prior having a show in Liverpool in a theatre (one moment even has Uncle Arthur getting to show off his singing chops during the show in which he crashes proving there are hidden depths with his character before getting dragged off stage as akin to Grandad coming up through the floor during the previous movie) and the film ends on a rather open note which while the show is a success, it doesn't mean to say that they are back in the big time and its left up to the audience to decide if they do or don't.

---------
When the film was released, it would see a rather mixed reception from critics in which while there were many who were half expecting a zany movie akin to the likes of the band's previous films, they would be taken a back at some of the more serious moments which seemed to make the film have a bit more to it than others and that some of the other characters, Peter Capaldi's character Harry in practically, would be seen as one who steals the show from The Beatles themselves, though many other critics would would criticise the paper thin plot and that the idea of the band doing something like some adventure movie while in their forties seemed laughable with each of them all being better than others with Ringo Starr being seen as the better actor of the bunch while George Harrison looked as though he was disinterested throughout the film who could be seen as only doing it for the money and clearly doesn't look interested (even his lack of things to say about the film compared to the others is telling) and that he comes off as the rather snarky one of the bunch. Though in some ways many says this works better for his character as coming off as the 'only sane man' in the bunch in which some Beatles fans say that Harrison's under acting performance is bizarrely seen as stealing the show for many.

The film itself would be considered better than Magical Mystery Tour but alas nowhere near as good as what A Hard Day's Night was before it which on Rotten Tomatoes the film scores a rather average 71% approval rating and the film would gross $38 million at the box office (made on a $9 million budget) making the film a reasonable success in the eyes of some commercially make much of its budget back though would be the lowest grossing of the other Beatles films which went to show how much the band seemed no longer the hottest thing in the world by that point and with Billy Preston now gone from the band, what 1985 would bring, no one knew that oddly enough around that time between October and November, something happened that would bring many music artists together that would make 1985 a year to remember...

[1] Yes, that infamous tale of the Beatles trying a LOTR movie is still a crazy pipe dream here though just wait until a few years later...
[2] Using some basis of the OTL Broad Street film here.
[3] I would like to thanks @cortz#9 for coming up with the title of the new Beatles movie so thanks for that.
[4] Yes, that song is still a thing ITTL though comes from a different way in which while it musically sounds the same, lyrics wise is a different beast from OTL.
[5] I could imagine this being the case if Lennon heard that song in which while I personally like the song, lyrics wise it is pretty lousy and I could see Lennon making changes with it.
[6] That song still happens but is created much later and is no longer directed at Paul but instead Thatcher...because it would be that song fitting for that.
[7] A character from the OTL Broad Street film is giving more character here.
[8] Ditto from above in which while having the same name is a different character all together.
[9] Much like with the OTL Broad Street film which had rearranged versions of classic Beatles tunes, the same thing happens in this movie like with Help!, In My Life and others you could imagine them doing, Lennon ofc made no secret wanting to rerecord all their old songs and I could see this being his chance to do so.

Now there we are then, a new album and film although 1984 is quite a trying year for the band in which Billy Preston leaves (in truth there really wasn't much for him to do in TTL and, as cruel as it is to say, he served his time in the TL) though it won't be the last we see of him. Trying to create a setlist of what a 1984 Beatles album would sound like mixing their best and lesser works together is one of taste as there might be songs I like and you might not like and vice versa but then again isn't the case with many albums? Now then, if you read that bit on the end that hints of what is to come, you can see where this is going as we move into 1985 so until then, catch you all later and hope you enjoyed the update! :)

I think I'd like to see this alt-film, sounds like it would have a nostalgic quality to it.
Looking forward to the rest of the 80's but I'm guessing it's going to get harder to come up with Lennon songs as the time goes by.

No reason why you can't create totally fictional songs for John, IOTL some of the last recordings he did were with the members of Cheap Trick which showed he still loved to rock.

he had been given the role to become the narrator of a new children's TV series based on the works of the The Railway Series books by the Rev. W. Awdry but that is another story in itself.
I love that you mentioned this. Does this mean he will also act as an 18 inch tall conductor when 1989 rolls around?

I think I'd like to see this alt-film, sounds like it would have a nostalgic quality to it.
Looking forward to the rest of the 80's but I'm guessing it's going to get harder to come up with Lennon songs as the time goes by.

No reason why you can't create totally fictional songs for John, IOTL some of the last recordings he did were with the members of Cheap Trick which showed he still loved to rock.
Regarding Lennon's songs, yes, it does start to get a little harder by this point though fortunately we do have many of the 'lost' Lennon songs that can be used (as you saw with She's a friend of Dorothy from TTL's Tug Of War) plus there are several other songs that can be used later.

While I'll mention solo album work, a rule is that I don't mention what songs are there as I like to keep things open for interpretation as I'd like to focus on Beatles material here.
I love that you mentioned this. Does this mean he will also act as an 18 inch tall conductor when 1989 rolls around?
Pretty much I'll say.

Live Aid
Now then, we move onto 1985 and a most iconic year for music as I do think you know where we're going here so let's get going with the chapter!

Live Aid

While 1984 had seen The Beatles not only knee deep in a new album and film, not to mention the departure of Billy Preston, the end of the year would see the new album and film, both called A Hard Night's Day, but in truth, they would be secondary to one single that was to come out that Christmas over a truly tragic event taking place in Ethiopia. The story of the famine in Ethiopia lasting between 1983 to 1985 has been well documented over the horrifying human scale of tragedy that affected over seven million people and it would be during that time in October that a BBC film crew would be the first to arrive to document the famine with presenter Michael Buerk describing "a biblical famine in the 20th century" and "the closest thing to hell on Earth". When the news report went out in Britain, much of the public were left horrified at the scenes of almost unthinkable human suffering that it would see many to be motivated to inundate relief agencies, such as Save the Children, with donations, and also to bring the world's attention to the crisis in Ethiopia. Soon enough, many other nations from the United States, Sweden, East and West Germany, Canada, Poland and even the Soviet Union would all help to carrying out airdrops to deliver food and aid to those in need.

It was during that certain BBC news report that one Irish singer known as Bob Geldof of The Boomtown Rats, had been watching the report and had been so moved to it like so many others that he felt the need to do something about it, but what? With the help of Ultravox singer Midge Ure, the two men would conceive the plan of creating a charity singer for the Christmas period in which all proceeds from the sale of the single would go into raising funds for the aid in Ethiopia. As it would turn out, the supergroup that would be formed called Band Aid would be a real who's who of the day from not only Geldolf and Ure, but also the likes of Bono from U2, Rodger and John Taylor of Duran Duran, Phil Colins, Sting, Paul Young and George Michael all just to name a few would all play on the single that would be called Do They Know It's Christmas? that would be recorded in November and would be released on December 3rd.

Neither of The Beatles would be able to take part in it due to their work with A Hard Night's Day though they were all aware of it and like many were shocked of what was happening in Ethiopia and John Lennon would first hear of Geldof in which prior to this point, he had barely known who he was other than, in his own words, just that "scruffy Irish fella", though seeing him in interviews of the man speaking passionately about his sudden noble cause made Lennon step up and notice him far more. Looking at him, Lennon couldn't help but admit that seeing Geldof trying to act for a good political cause was almost like looking in a mirror of what Lennon was like during his more politically charged days only unlike with Lennon's views which could have been seen as divisive, Geldof's message seem to accepted by frankly everyone that something should be done to help with this terrible disaster.

In the end, Do They Know It's Christmas? would end up entered the UK Singles Chart at number one and stayed there for five weeks, becoming Christmas number one. It sold a million copies in the first week, becoming the fastest-selling single in UK chart history; it held this title until 1997, when it was overtaken by Elton John's Candle in the Wind 1997 and in the end, UK sales of the single would pass three million on the last day of 1984 and also the United States would bring out We Are the World by USA for Africa was the most successful of these, selling 20 million copies worldwide. Despite all the success, both singles would had, it was felt that more needed to be done in which the inspiration would come from the now iconic Concert For Bangladesh that The Beatles had done many years ago only here, this was going to be larger in every sense of the word in what would become known as Live Aid.

If sorting out The Concert For Bangladesh had been complicated then by trying to wire up so many musical artists for one show at Madison Square Gardens, Live Aid was something that made the former concert look like it had been done in the stone age. The plan was to have a multi-venue concert being performed at London's Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia's John F Kennedy Stadium performed live which would bounce back between the two shows with artists performing in which satellite technology would play a main role into pulling this massive undertaking in what was needed to put on a show for what was estimated about 40% of the world's population to watch was being dubbed as the Global Jukebox. Many artists would be brought to perform with Apple already having a few representing them being the likes of Queen, Elton John, Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton on both sides of the Atlantic yet the organisers had wanted more than anything to get The Beatles to perform live once again...

---------
Extract from 'Epstein: The Tertiary Years 1979 - 1988' by Debbie Geller
Like many who had seen what had happened in Ethiopia, Brian Epstein had been deeply moved of what was happening out there and had been helpful to get behind Bob Geldof's cause at when it came time for the single to come out yet when he heard about when Live Aid was to happen, he was stunned at what they were planning to do and while he did help to get much of Apple's available artists to take part in both shows (Apple Records being fairly well represented during Live Aid compared to others), he knew that the organisers, and perhaps much of the public only wanted to know if The Beatles were to perform once again in which given how many major bands such as Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Beach Boys and The Who were all getting back together for this show and that it had been The Beatles that had started off the concept of a benefit concert back all those years ago, but that having The Beatles not showing up when so many other bands were to appear would seem like a glaring hole in the line up.

Truth be told, Epstein was, while liking the idea of the band performing live again which they hadn't done for five years by this point, he was sure that the band were far from united on the same page. Both McCartney and Lennon were busy away with two solo albums to come out later that year (Pipes Of Peace from McCartney [1] and Between The Lines from Lennon [2]), Preston had left on good terms, Harrison was more interested with running Apple's film division in which had pulled a major hit for the company by producing Terry Gilliam's Brazil which produced on a big $15 million budget, it would gross an impressive $92 million at the box office [3] and had become the film division's jewel in the crown and solidifying Harrison's position as an unlikely film producer (though he had brought out a box office bomb in that time being the comedy film Water) and was getting ready for more films with one certain film called Shanghai Surprise to come out the following year that sadly would be infamous but that's another story. Harrison at this moment in time seemed so far away from performing live other than perhaps the odd jam somewhere nearby Friar Park while Ringo Starr on the other hand had become perhaps more famous for his work with narrating Thomas The Tank Engine than any of his musical exploits of late.

It would seem though that while anything Beatles related had fizzled out following A Hard Night's Day though some say that the lack of a major tour to promote the album might have hurt sales for what could have been big and the swirl of rumours that The Beatles were going to perform at Live Aid when in private nothing had been agreed to, though nonetheless it showed that there was a desire to seem on stage again even if some Live Aid organisers did fear that despite having The Beatles performing, considered rock royalty to many, would be a way of making Live Aid look legitimate and maybe even cause other big names from the world of music to be brought it with Michael Jackson being one that they wanted for the show in Philadelphia though the flip side was that The Beatles there would overshadow what the whole purpose of the show was about in the first place.

When Bob Geldof would first ring up Brian Epstein a month before the show would take place if The Beatles were going to be free for the show, Epstein would say that the band had no plans to perform and in truth, he was wise not to repeat his mistakes of those early days of touring in which he would spring a surprise on the band with touring schedules that they would not feel all that comfortable with and he didn't want to force the band into something that they weren't all fully behind. As it looked there, it would seem those hopes for a Beatles performance at Live Aid were over had it not been from a most unlikely source...

---------
Extract from 'History With The Beatles' by Bradford E. Loker
While Brian Epstein had wanted to make sure he wouldn't surprise the band with an unexpected show that they might have all not wanted to do, the whispers of many big named bands performing at Live Aid were starting to catch the attention of many and this would end up being noticed by John Lennon's son Sean who, when at boarding school, had heard many stories about Live Aid and the plight of what was going on in Ethiopia and had wondered if his dad and The Beatles would perform. He would make a phone call to his father about if Bob Geldof had contacted him in which John would say he hadn't before Sean then asked why doesn't he phone Geldof instead to see what could be done. John would agree and it is crazy to think with hindsight that one little father/son moment would kick things off.

In a sense of irony, Lennon would ring up Geldof, just a day after the latter had made his request to Epstein to have The Beatles to perform on Live Aid, to ask him what was going on. As history would note, Geldof would have to force acts to appear but he hadn't gotten a call from someone else about appearing and the fact he was speaking to John Lennon of all people was asking him about, what he thought at least, was him willing to himself forward to appearing on Live Aid. Of course, this wasn't the case but more of an inquire more than anything to see how this huge show was going to work out in which Geldof pretty much pitched the whole idea of the show to him. While Lennon was sympathetic to Geldof's noble course, he did have doubts on if it could be pulled off, never mind the list of who he wanted to play at Live Aid in which Lennon admitted even he felt was never going to happen.

Nonetheless, the whole phone call meeting is rather sketchy between both men to exactly what was said but whatever happened there would see Lennon now being tempted to perform even if it was half hearted yet in Geldof's mind, that was pretty much a confirmation from him and he now had his starting point with now for him to try and tempt Paul McCartney to perform. With McCartney, things were much more straight forward as having been more aware of what was going on, he agreed to do it when he heard that Lennon was willing to perform saying it was "the management" – his children – who persuaded him to take part [4] and Geldof likely couldn't believe his luck that he had gotten at least two Beatles to perform even if he had no clue what they would be performing or if they were rusty from not having performed live in five years by this point.

Easy going Ringo Starr would be a shoe-in and even Billy Preston who, despite having left the band just a year prior, was willing to perform at least one more time for what he claimed would be, "for the road". Brian Epstein would admit to feeling amazed that Geldof had pulled this off, even if it was under his nose which he would admit years later did feel him left in the cold as if he had been the middle man who had been cut out. However despite all this good news, it would be the quiet Beatle who would grumble the loudest which looked to put the whole Beatles performance on ice. George Harrison was always going to be the most difficult to perform live in some ways it was his opinion that had seen no live performance from not only himself but also the rest of the band ever since the Two Faced World Tour as he was either interested in making movies or working in garden with the occasion jam at Friar Park.

Of course, Harrison's feelings for not appearing at Live Aid were justified in a way in which the alleged lost funds made from The Concert For Bangladesh was still a troubling thought for him after all these years and he had a bad feeling that Live Aid would be more or less the same but on a far larger scale, not to mention he would question Geldof on a very obvious problem that there seemed to be a real lack of performers with African heritage taking part in which given that this was made to help Africa then surely it would best to have a good number of them to represent Africa in which he brought up how he had Ravi Shanker and his group play a considerable set on that show in which they would represent Bangladesh well. Geldof would try and be diplomatic as possible stating that he would have liked bands of African representation, he felt that many of them didn't have the big star power than many of the bands he wanted like The Who or Queen.

That's not to say Harrison was all against the idea of the show, on the contrary by learning of his own experiences of how he felt the funds had been misplaced for Bangladesh, he would, according to Geldof, give out some "very detailed advice on what to do and not do". In the end, Harrison hadn't agree to perform and that might have been the end of the matter with many wishing to respect Harrison's wishes with his rock royalty status but he hadn't expected Geldof and his approach when it came to that rather infamous press conference on June 10th to announce who would be performing.

------------
The Live Aid press conference to announce who would be performing would be, in some ways, a shambles mainly as in truth, the vast majority of the acts that were announced to take part had only agreed in principle at best and at worst, many of the bands had broken up and seemed then had no chance to reunite, though that is exactly what Geldof did in which he would be frankly lying through his teeth announcing to a stunned a group of journalists of who was going to be performing in which many bands who didn't know about them performing were left stunned upon hearing that they would be performing and it would be hear that all The Beatles would first hear that they would be taking part and Harrison would be left taken a back that he and The Beatles would be playing in which the story would be that Harrison only found out when he was having breakfast and that his wife Olivia would ask him why he hadn't told her he was performing.

To no one's surprise, Harrison would angrily ring Geldof about what was he doing having not agreed to perform yet it was here that Geldof's famous bluster and bluff would come into play in which, having already had to deal with many other stunned artists all asking how they were suddenly performing again, and Harrison would be one of them asking them what was going on. The story of what went down when the two met when Geldof had driven up to Friar Park for what was looking to be a confrontation that look set to cancel the band from performing. The meeting itself has gone down in history as one of the great unseen moments in rock history much like the infamous guitar duel between Harrison and Eric Clapton at Friar Park from over a decade ago in which the two very different men came together.

Harrison's son, Dhani, would remember the event stating that it would be case of what he could remember was a case of Geldof almost bullying or guilt tripping his dad into doing in (not for the first time according to many other artists who felt the same) and pointing out that the rest of the band and pretty much every artist that was out there would be performing for what looked to be the biggest show in history and that if Harrison pulled out, he would be remembered for all time as one who could bring the show down. The quiet Beatle was stunned by the sheer bullish nature of Geldof in which he would have hated coming from any other man and likely would have had him thrown out onto the kerb yet for some reason it was Geldof's sheer ballsy way to getting Harrison to pull his weight along would leave the Beatle to feel some sense of admiration and amazingly enough, Harrison would finally agree to do. All they needed now was to get back together, create a 20 minute set list and rehearse.

[...]
It was agreed that The Beatles would be the closing act at Wembley and with Elton John being the penultimate act at Wembley, it was decided that they would rehearse with Elton John and his band in which they would share most of the same sound equipment and all which would prevent having to do the hassle of pulling out cables and such and get the sound system to work with a new sound team. Thankfully enough, the rest of the band were happy to work alongside Elton John in which The Beatles would during their planned set list would gain the help of some members of Elton John's band such as Ray Cooper on percussion, a four man horn section and four backing singers which would all help give out a more fleshed out live sound though the question of what they would perform would be something that they would bang heads over on how many each member would get and what they could be. In the end, they would come up with a setlist as follows:

1) Come Together
2) Band On The Run
3) Something
4) It Don't Come Easy
5) Imagine/Give Peace A Chance
6) My Sweet Lord
7) Hey Jude

While it was a setlist that had most of the usual suspects, it was the inclusion of Hey Jude for the final song on the setlist that caught the attention of a few in which this would be the first time that the band would perform the number live and it was actually McCartney's suggestion of performing it in which he felt that maybe a good sing song with the audience could be done and that Hey Jude seemed like the perfect song for the job in which the other band members weren't so sure but by this point, time was tight to change anything with the show now and they had to hope that it would all work out.

---------
Extract from 'The Complete Beatles Chronicle' by Mark Lewisoh
Live Aid was without question one of the great 'where were you' moments in history in which the many moments of that show cannot be forgotten about, from the U2's breakout performance, Status Quo's opening set, Queen utterly stealing the show [5] and seeing The Who back together to some not so great moments from Simon Le Bon's infamous 'bum note heard around the world' to the now infamously bad Led Zeppelin reunion in which Phil Collins was blamed for it [6]. The amount of huge artists seemed to get bigger and what could top it all off? Following the end of his set list and allowing the American leg to perform the next part, all eyes would then return to Wembley in which Elton John would return to stage to get on the mic and announce what would be coming next with his words entering history.

"I thank these guys who help gave me my breakthrough all these years ago," Elton would begin, "and I believe we have to thank Bob Geldof for letting this happen. It is my and yours pleasure for you to hear and see...The Beatles!"

The crowd utterly erupts; a force that seems to shake Wembley to its foundation and even for a season performer like Elton John, who is used to hearing such wild crowds, is taken aback by what is happening and he promptly exits stage right as from the pitch black stage, five figures soon emerge from the darkness and the mass of cameras in the crowd flashing is almost blinding as in the middle of the mass screaming taking place, the world soon witnesses something that they haven't seen in years...The Beatles all on stage together and about to perform to over a billion people across the world.

Shots from the rather nervous and starstruck band to their families sitting in the royal Wembley box with a young Alice Lennon, James McCartney and Dhani Harrison all covering their ears from the roar of the crowd as this would likely be their first time seeing their fathers performing live for a performance they'll be able to remember. The crowd seems to give them an ovation for what feels like ages with Lennon getting close to the mic with bared teeth and clutching his guitar tightly before the crowd starts to quiet down and mutters, "Ok then" and before that, the first chords for Come Together kicks off and the crowd's roar starts again briefly before getting into the song. Not before later, Band On The Run is played soon followed by Something until then Starr gets his moment with It Don't Come Easy before things take a more subdue manner with Imagine getting played in which its lyrics seemed hit home with many watching before then the crowd gets into singing with Give Peace A Chance which all acts to give anyone goosebumps at how powerful the moment is.

The crowd then gets on the act to to sing along with My Sweet Lord in which even after all these years, the song has not lost its appeal before finally the final song on the list would be Hey Jude, a song that would become a popular song for all future Beatles and subsequent McCartney concerts with the crowd all singing along with the 'Na Na Na's' in which might have been repeated with scenes over in Philadelphia who would have likely had wished they were at Wembley instead. Towards the end, pretty much the stage was invaded by the rest of the other bands who had performed that day, after all, the sheer joy of sharing the stage with The Beatles seemed too a change to pass up no matter how big or small the acts at Wembley were that day.

The final song on the list would be with everyone getting into with Do They Know Its Christmas? which would end a truly epic show ending at 10pm in the evening and while The Beatles' performance might not have been quite as a good as Queen's legendary performance, it was a very close second and that performance of the band is a watershed moment for many young Beatles fans who had been born in the late 70s or early 80s, this would be their first ever time seeing the band performing live without having to watch old footage from ten years ago in which this might have been the first time seeing what they were all about and in some ways was almost akin to what The Beatles' performance on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 might have been for many in America had been at that time.

What it did was it really brought The Beatles well and truly into the 1980s and they would see a new surge of interest that likely hadn't been seen in years and if this meant that this was the start of the third wave of Beatlemania was unknown then but nonetheless Live Aid was a huge moment for many who took part, and while the legacy of that show has been debated for many years afterwards, for The Beatles, the question was now they had attention back on them in a big way, what now?

[1] Different from OTL album with different songs from McCartney's at the time catalogue.
[2] Name of the lost Lennon album from 1973.
[3] Yes, Brazil has better handling here in which we don't get that infamous 'Love conquers all' cut that the studio forced to put out, not here in which the original cut is released as planned and that film has a better legacy more so than OTL.
[4] As what he said with OTL, same thing here.
[5] Yes, Queen still have their amazing show which I will not change here. I'm not changing anything there haha!
[6] Yes, we still that disastrous show with Led Zeppelin sadly, poor Phil Collins.

And there we are, Live Aid and all that. Oddly not many TL's in which The Beatles perform at Live Aid but here we are here. Quite a fun update to do and if you were around during that time ITTL, where we you when The Beatles performed at Live Aid? Anyway, until then, catch you all later and hope to see you next time! :)

Epstein's Folly
Now for the next update and I will say I'm a little bit disappointed at the lack of a response for the last update as I would have thought Live Aid might have gotten a good deal of attention for this TL but alas it seems I was wrong. Anyway, the next update is more a filler chapter to put it bluntly in which we see what happens with the band in 1986 and what else happens with Apple Corps during that year...here we go!

Epstein's Folly

It was said that Live Aid pretty much not only transformed the careers of many up and coming bands such as the likes of U2, but also saw older bands all see a major resurgence of interest with Queen being perhaps the best known example who following that performance were about to cash in on this new wave of success with a new album and in many ways, The Beatles' appearance as the closing act of the Wembley show saw even them gain the same sort of interest that Queen was getting with some even wondering if Live Aid might have been the start of the third wave of Beatlemania. In some other timeline, the band would have come together to create a new album to be released in 1986 and then begin a major tour after that much like with Queen but here, that never was the case. In many ways in terms of Beatles activities during that time, Live Aid was something of a fluke in which it was a time that the band were not planning anything at this point and the mid 80s would have been an inactive time if not for Live Aid. Yes, They had just released both an album and feature film the previous year but both had come and went and if you weren't a major Beatles fans, you could have been forgiven for not knowing that the band had not released anything over the past few years and that they had broken up by that point.

Suddenly following them appearing on Live Aid and showing that they not only were still together, but also still had it in them to perform and all at once, everyone was not only starting to look more keenly at their more recent work, but were also asking the question of when the next album or even live tour might be in which if the band's Live Aid performance was anything to go by then it had set of a wave of excitement that The Beatles had seen in years and Brian Epstein was aware of this increased interest in the band and knew that demand had to made one way or the other. Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney's two solo albums would come out later in 1985 to, what could have been said, as a lukewarm response as many wanted a new Beatles album instead and sadly both albums from the two Beatles were more of a case of things that simply existed and nothing else though by Christmas 1985, a new Beatles would come out though perhaps not the one many would have wanted.

In following the releases of the successful, Red, Blue, Yellow and Green albums of the last few years, it was time for a new 'best of' album to be released and this new album would be the fifth album in the collection simply called The Beatles/Orange (1980 - 1984) which would feature all the hits from the likes of Coming Up, Woman, Say Say Say, Dream Away and No More Lonely Nights just to name a few though it wouldn't cover any singles that had been released from A Hard Night's Day (mainly out of demand following Live Aid) in late 1985 though some suspected this was done if a another 'best of' album was to be released within the next few years. The album itself wouldn't be quite the Beatles album that many would have liked but nonetheless it kept interest in the band bubbling over nicely though the demanding public were still hoping for that new and long awaited Beatles album would be out for 1986.

---------
A joke during this time from Brian Epstein was that, "if he [Epstein] had a pound for every time he was asked for when The Beatles were going to be making a new album during that time between 1985 and 1986, he could have made a fortune that about ten people could have retired on though even he did have to admit that the time was right for a new Beatles album though getting the band to agree with this was going to be something else. Both McCartney and Lennon had already done albums and wanted a break for 1986 though admitted that they would be willing to do another Beatles album; Starr was already working with a new series of 'Thomas the Tank Engine' in which he himself had found an unlikely surge in popularity that perhaps he hadn't had before and any music exploits he had in mind were placed on the side and finally, Harrison was not having a good 1986 when it came to Apple's Film division.

That summer in 1986 would see Apple release their second big budget film after 'Brazil' which would be 'Shanghai Surprise', an adventure comedy film based on the novel Faraday's Flowers, that once again Harrison would produce and with a film staring Madonna with her then husband Sean Penn and looked like it could've been a hit but however the film would end up being a commercial and critical flop [1] and Apple's first real bust and Harrison would lament that not only were the actors wrong for the film but frankly everything else was wrong with it and has since gained an infamous reputation of one of the worst films ever made and the quiet Beatle would have his hands burnt from that experience and in many ways wanted nothing to do with anyone for that time, let alone with the rest of The Beatles.

If The Beatles weren't going to have anything for 1986, at the very least Epstein did have Queen to make the most of their new found resurged interest in which not only they had a new album to come out for 1986 which would be A Kind Of Magic and soon after would be the Magic Tour which to Epstein did satisfy the lack of anything Beatles related that year. Of course speaking of Queen, Epstein had been growing worried for their front man Freddie Mercury who many might have said was the man who pretty much responsible for stealing the show at Live Aid with Queen but there had been something different with the man as the years had gone on. As part of Mercury's close inner circle and with the two being close friends due to them sharing their similar problems with sexual orientation yet the two men were very different in how their went out expressing themselves about it.

While Epstein had pretty much been keeping his head down on the matter, even though by this point after twenty years with him in the public limelight and having kept quiet, his homosexual was now not only a worst kept secret among those at Apple but also with the press and public who all had long suspected Epstein being gay over the past few years and that it was just a case of the inevitable of him coming out. In contrast, Mercury had little to no trouble to show off his flamboyance and on his 39th birthday (just two months after their legendary Live Aid performance) he would invite Epstein to his birthday in Munich in which the birthday itself is known as one of the most elaborate and craziest parties in rock history for being this giant drag ball. Despite Mercury pleading with Epstein to show face thinking that he would be comfortable with such an environment with others like him which given Epstein's quiet and soft spoken nature was laughable and he politely turned down the invitation.

However, he had good reason to turn down the invitation in which his fears of the growing AIDS pandemic had made Epstein wary that if he was not careful then it could affect him and knew it was a death wish and given how he had barely survived a drug overdose in 1967 that could have ended his life, he had no intention of risking his life for a second time, even if it meant that it would likely mean he would not be able to find a love interest for the time being which he would admit that he had regrated that it had come to this. When he would see the footage of Mercury's birthday party in Munich and saw how such a mad affair it had been and with Mercury bragging about who he had slept with without any cares in the world, Epstein wasn't jealous of missing out, on the contrary, he was left with a dread about what he had saw.

The whole party had all the ingredients of a possible location were AIDS could have been and even though Epstein that even a few years ago had suspected that Mercury might have caught AIDS as early as 1982, there was no doubt in his mind that this was almost certain were AIDS had caught up with Mercury and while he said nothing to the Queen frontman following his birthday, he was angry that one of his biggest stars of the Apple label had been so reckless and that it could spell disaster for the band. For Epstein though, all be could do was prey and hope all would turn out for the best.

---------
Extract from 'The Story Of Apple Corps World' by Jordan Kent
The mid 80s had been something of roller coaster time for Apple Corps in which the company had grown far more than its humble hippy roots into become a true media giant that many felt would be a major force by the end of the decade and even some predicting that if they expanded further into other avenues such as animation, TV and others then they could rival Disney by the 1990s. Speaking of which, it was Disney that would give Epstein some food for thought in which in 1983, he had made a visit to Walt Disney World in Florida when he would join John and May Lennon with their family in which Epstein had by this point been made a Godfather to both Sean and Alice and was only too happy to have a vacation to get away from working at Apple.

In a moment that bared a spooky resemblance to when Walt Disney first conceived of the idea of Disneyland when he had seen his daughters ride a merry-go-round and coming up with the idea of a place where adults and their children could go and have fun together, Epstein would end up having a similar experience in which he, while sitting with Lennon in the Fantasyland area of the park watching May along with Sean and Alice enjoying themselves that he then had an unlikely idea that he pitched an idea to John Lennon.

"What if we could have our own Disneyland in Britain?"

At first, Lennon thought it was just a thought and nothing else and muttered that it was, yet little did he know just how important that moment was in which rather than take time to enjoy the many attractions which while he did, he would take notes about what worked and what didn't and the Lennons would all recall that after the Disney World trip that he wasn't talking about how much he enjoyed the trip and all that, but rather how he felt that there should be a Disneyland in Britain in which John Lennon would later state he was taken aback at how determined Epstein seemed to be at the idea and when he returned to the main Apple offices in London, he would at first tell the board members that they should be investing in real estate and in truth, this wasn't the first time that Apple, or The Beatles more so, had been involved with such an scheme.

Many Beatles fans would know of the story of how The Beatles came close to buying a set of Greek islands in 1967 in which was thought of being their own private location in which The Beatles were required to buy special export dollars before applying to the Greek government for permission to spend them and they eventually got clearance for the purchase of the islands, but by that time the group had moved on. The £90,000-worth of dollars was sold back to the government, and the value had risen giving The Beatles £11,400 profit on the unrealised deal [2]. Nonetheless, the moment remains nothing more than a mere footnote and many suspect that had it gone ahead, it would have been doomed to fail for whatever reason.

Other than acquiring of their new Liverpool studio, Apple hadn't really done much in this market yet now seemed the time for the company, and by extension Epstein's fingerprints, onto a new venture to take the company somewhere it hadn't really dip its toe to be truth. Epstein's idea of a theme park venture for the company was at first laughable as no one in the company had any idea of how it could work and given what Britain was at the time, the idea of a Disneyland in the UK seemed a foolish thought. At that time the only amusement park attractions were that of the many seaside amusement parks much like Blackpool's Pleasure Beach, Margate's Dreamland or Southport Pleasureland and even then they all seemed somewhat stuck in a time wrap of not really having changed much since before the war yet some did note change was happening.

In 1980, Alton Towers up in the Midlands would become Europe's largest leisure park at that time thanks to some big investment between then and 1983, the park had turned many people's mindset on how possible it was to make a theme park in the UK with Alton Towers being looked upon as Britain's own Disneyland at that time and would at that time begin many copycat theme parks that would open during the 1980s in trying to replicate that success and as it would seem, Apple would attempt to jump on that bandwagon. When the other Beatles, other than Lennon was was aware of it, first heard of the idea they were all taken a back at what Epstein was trying to do in which Harrison would admit when he first heard of the idea that their manager and chairman had lost his mind.

However, once the wave of scepticism and mockery past, pretty soon then those on the Apple board started realise that maybe it wasn't a bad venture at all as not only did they have the money to build a theme park but also owned IP's from their film division in which the idea of rides based of Terry Gilliam's two films 'Time Bandits' and 'Brazil' or maybe even on Monty Python and of course something regarding The Beatles themselves like a themed area to Pepperland as seen in the film Yellow Submarine started to seem like a good idea and even though no location had been sourced, pretty soon those who had bad mouth at the idea would all soon start throwing ideas about what attractions of areas they could have with many throwing ideas around though nothing really was agreed on then.

Amazingly, none of these ideas leaked out to the press as it was only an idea that was kept at the very top of Apple with many of those even in the company were unaware of such a plan taking shape. By 1985, the idea had started to gain traction in which even The Beatles all came in with an idea or two with McCartney coming up visiting Alton Towers that spring to get ideas of what they could do and would come up with the first agreed scheme of having an entrance or Main Street USA as seen in the Disney parks to be themed round that of Liverpool or more truthfully Matthew Street which every Beatles fan would know is the home of the legendary Cavern Club and where Epstein first met the band and where his NEMS shop was located and that would be the starting point for this new theme park.

Of course, the idea of where the theme park would be (in those days given the puny working name as 'Beatles Land') would prove to be a challenge as there were many places that would shoot down on any theme park proposal on their doorstep in which would see at that time only a handful of theme parks in the UK open during that time and it would seem that there was no hope for a location with some at Apple seriously considering a possibility of buying out Alton Towers and rebuilding it in their own image but they all knew that it would be better to start from scratch but at first there seemed no possible location until 1985 when Apple suddenly had a lucky break on a location near Ilkeston in Derbyshire on what was a newly opened theme park called Britannia Park.

The history of this location built on an area of Country Park which had been subject to deep seam and opencast coal mining called Shipley Mines which had ended production in the 1970s and the local county council had then decided to reuse the land to create an all new leisure park that would designed around celebrating all things British and a Kent based company known as KLF to design the park that would name it as Britannia Park that would celebrate Britain's past, present and future. The park itself would open in 1985 though the park was far from finished in which much of the park hadn't been landscaped by that point in which the opening 1985 season would prove to be an utter disaster as the park closed after just 10 weeks of operation, not to mention that due to 1985 being much of a washout due to bad weather, little could be done with getting the park ready into a fit state with KLF being forced to sell shares to pay off creditors, not to mention its founder Peter Kellard was later imprisoned for fraud in one of the most infamous fraud cases in Britain. That all said, suddenly, Apple had found their chosen park and would swoop in to buy many shares that was needed to complete a takeover bid though the property was acquired by Derbyshire County Council who were looking to find a new owner to try and make the park into a success [3].

When Apple came forward with an interest to make their intentions clear to the public of entering the theme park business, many were left stunned at what seemed to be something that no had predicated would happen in which the press would, rather foolishly, say that The Beatles were opening a theme park when in truth none of them had really been behind this other than just a few ideas and that this was all down to Epstein and it seems crazy to think the idea of a new theme park might sound appealing, there were many, mostly the locals, who were unhappy at the proposal even before Britannia Park had opened in which many had expressed concerns of its concept and the expected traffic that could cause pollution to the area and when Britannia Park failed miserably, they thought that was the end of it. No one had expected the idea of Apple coming in and taking control themselves.

Epstein knew that had had to make sure this could work and try and win over a sceptical public and country council over proving that they were not fools in doing this, and instead Apple would announce a press conference for what was to be known as 'Apple Corps World' or as some negative minded people thought as Epstein's folly. In the conference, he had anticipated many questions about what the park would entail and Epstein would show detailed drawings of many planned ideas of the park in what was to follow was done as a way to 'stump' the sceptics to show them everything that was happening and prove that they were serious about the idea and that they had the money to do all this. Even those who did like idea did wonder why didn't they make a Beatles theme park in Liverpool rather than somewhere in the Midlands which in truth had no Beatles connection at all.

Despite some questions still lingering in how serious they were in this idea, the local council seem satisfied with the proposals and Apple would buy out the whole site outright just before Christmas 1985 and 1986 would see Apple now enter the world of theme parks as they began a year long rebuilding of the park, which to be fair had literally nothing on site to begin with, for planned opening in Summer 1987 that look set to shake the tourism market to its foundations.

Interview of John Lennon (1997)
I honestly thought Brian had lost it since we left Disney World. I don't know what caused this to affect him, but he was damn set of doing this project but he was spending millions of this project with what was at that time said to be the largest construction project in the country at that time. He invited us over in 1986 to show what had changed and we had all seen what Britannia Park was like which honestly was just crap and likely shouldn't have been built in the first place and with the money that had been spent on this project, surely it had to be better.

When we all arrived, which was the band and many Apple higher ups who wanted to see what had been happening and when we got there, for once I was lost for words. Yes, it was still all nothing more than a major construction site, it was still something and looked far better than what had come before it in which the entrance area had been rebuilt from the ground up, mainly due to what was subsidence issues they found [4] which meant they had to rebuilt it anyway in what would become a near replica of Matthew Street in Liverpool. I remember saying, "Christ, that crazy bastard has pulled it off!"

Either way, we were all pretty much blown away and soon got behind the idea; if the whole thing would work or not was another factor but for now, we knew we had something and that was the first time that year we were all together and soon enough, we began thinking of a new album and that maybe we should make an attempt as we had heard many wanting to hear a new Beatles album so then...we just thought 'why the hell not?'

-----------
As Apple Corps World was pretty much very much under construction, or as some would call it as Epstein's Folly, The Beatles were left inspired by what they had saw and would soon put in a plan for a new Beatles album for 1987 in which just so happened to mark the 20th anniversary of perhaps the band's most iconic album of the 60s and with one area of the the new theme park being named Pepperland, ideas soon started to form into what was going to be the band's third album of the 1980s and unlike before during this decade in which The Beatles were seen as ancient, now there was a new sense of expectation that they hadn't seen in years and now there was perhaps no more room for error for a new Beatles album that had to deliver...the band were about to return to Pepperland.

[1] Yes, Shanghai Surprise still happens here and is still the same bad film much like in OTL. A bad film from Apple had to happen here sooner than later.
[2] If you remember the whole story of the band buying a Greek island back in the day, yes, that still happened here like OTL.
[3] For those who aren't aware, Britannia Park would end up being The American Adventure Park that would open in 1987 and closed in 2007, the story of that park is worth a story in its own right and you need to check on that first as it is a sad story of what might have been had it had more investment and luck on its side. A perfect location for a new Apple theme park.
[4] This was actually a problem with the park IOTL as the park is built on a mine, the entrance was built above on mine shaft that hadn't been noticed and saw the old entrance, one of the best in the UK, closed off and a rather shabby looking entrance was opened which made the park look cheaper. Had they had to rebuild the entrance here, more than likely this would have come up and they would end up sorting this out.

So there we, another filler update with Epstein taking more of role here and here we see perhaps the most exciting part of this TL in which we shall be seeing a new Apple theme park although I do need your help with both what the theme areas and attractions that there should be built on this park so please give me any suggestions you might have as we will get an update on the park when it opens either in the next or the update after that. Either way, who wants to imagine a Beatles theme park in any TL? Don't think this has been explored before but does have potential when you consider Apple's IP's it has under its belt so who knows what they can do here?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update and I'll hopefully see you all later in the next update, until then, catch you all later! :)

Sorry if you're disappointed in the lack of reviews. I think it is more of a reflection if the Beatles being past their prime, and that they're in sort of that awkward transition period from their heyday but before the 90s and 2000s time period where their popularity would be based entirely on nostalgia.

We always appreciate the effort you put into this, and that you've continued the TL as long as you have. Don't get discouraged!

Now for the next update and I will say I'm a little bit disappointed at the lack of a response for the last update as I would have thought Live Aid might have gotten a good deal of attention for this TL but alas it seems I was wrong. Anyway, the next update is more a filler chapter to put it bluntly in which we see what happens with the band in 1986 and what else happens with Apple Corps during that year...here we go!

Epstein's Folly

It was said that Live Aid pretty much not only transformed the careers of many up and coming bands such as the likes of U2, but also saw older bands all see a major resurgence of interest with Queen being perhaps the best known example who following that performance were about to cash in on this new wave of success with a new album and in many ways, The Beatles' appearance as the closing act of the Wembley show saw even them gain the same sort of interest that Queen was getting with some even wondering if Live Aid might have been the start of the third wave of Beatlemania. In some other timeline, the band would have come together to create a new album to be released in 1986 and then begin a major tour after that much like with Queen but here, that never was the case. In many ways in terms of Beatles activities during that time, Live Aid was something of a fluke in which it was a time that the band were not planning anything at this point and the mid 80s would have been an inactive time if not for Live Aid. Yes, They had just released both an album and feature film the previous year but both had come and went and if you weren't a major Beatles fans, you could have been forgiven for not knowing that the band had not released anything over the past few years and that they had broken up by that point.

Suddenly following them appearing on Live Aid and showing that they not only were still together, but also still had it in them to perform and all at once, everyone was not only starting to look more keenly at their more recent work, but were also asking the question of when the next album or even live tour might be in which if the band's Live Aid performance was anything to go by then it had set of a wave of excitement that The Beatles had seen in years and Brian Epstein was aware of this increased interest in the band and knew that demand had to made one way or the other. Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney's two solo albums would come out later in 1985 to, what could have been said, as a lukewarm response as many wanted a new Beatles album instead and sadly both albums from the two Beatles were more of a case of things that simply existed and nothing else though by Christmas 1985, a new Beatles would come out though perhaps not the one many would have wanted.

In following the releases of the successful, Red, Blue, Yellow and Green albums of the last few years, it was time for a new 'best of' album to be released and this new album would be the fifth album in the collection simply called The Beatles/Orange (1980 - 1984) which would feature all the hits from the likes of Coming Up, Woman, Say Say Say, Dream Away and No More Lonely Nights just to name a few though it wouldn't cover any singles that had been released from A Hard Night's Day (mainly out of demand following Live Aid) in late 1985 though some suspected this was done if a another 'best of' album was to be released within the next few years. The album itself wouldn't be quite the Beatles album that many would have liked but nonetheless it kept interest in the band bubbling over nicely though the demanding public were still hoping for that new and long awaited Beatles album would be out for 1986.

---------
A joke during this time from Brian Epstein was that, "if he [Epstein] had a pound for every time he was asked for when The Beatles were going to be making a new album during that time between 1985 and 1986, he could have made a fortune that about ten people could have retired on though even he did have to admit that the time was right for a new Beatles album though getting the band to agree with this was going to be something else. Both McCartney and Lennon had already done albums and wanted a break for 1986 though admitted that they would be willing to do another Beatles album; Starr was already working with a new series of 'Thomas the Tank Engine' in which he himself had found an unlikely surge in popularity that perhaps he hadn't had before and any music exploits he had in mind were placed on the side and finally, Harrison was not having a good 1986 when it came to Apple's Film division.

That summer in 1986 would see Apple release their second big budget film after 'Brazil' which would be 'Shanghai Surprise', an adventure comedy film based on the novel Faraday's Flowers, that once again Harrison would produce and with a film staring Madonna with her then husband Sean Penn and looked like it could've been a hit but however the film would end up being a commercial and critical flop [1] and Apple's first real bust and Harrison would lament that not only were the actors wrong for the film but frankly everything else was wrong with it and has since gained an infamous reputation of one of the worst films ever made and the quiet Beatle would have his hands burnt from that experience and in many ways wanted nothing to do with anyone for that time, let alone with the rest of The Beatles.

If The Beatles weren't going to have anything for 1986, at the very least Epstein did have Queen to make the most of their new found resurged interest in which not only they had a new album to come out for 1986 which would be A Kind Of Magic and soon after would be the Magic Tour which to Epstein did satisfy the lack of anything Beatles related that year. Of course speaking of Queen, Epstein had been growing worried for their front man Freddie Mercury who many might have said was the man who pretty much responsible for stealing the show at Live Aid with Queen but there had been something different with the man as the years had gone on. As part of Mercury's close inner circle and with the two being close friends due to them sharing their similar problems with sexual orientation yet the two men were very different in how their went out expressing themselves about it.

While Epstein had pretty much been keeping his head down on the matter, even though by this point after twenty years with him in the public limelight and having kept quiet, his homosexual was now not only a worst kept secret among those at Apple but also with the press and public who all had long suspected Epstein being gay over the past few years and that it was just a case of the inevitable of him coming out. In contrast, Mercury had little to no trouble to show off his flamboyance and on his 39th birthday (just two months after their legendary Live Aid performance) he would invite Epstein to his birthday in Munich in which the birthday itself is known as one of the most elaborate and craziest parties in rock history for being this giant drag ball. Despite Mercury pleading with Epstein to show face thinking that he would be comfortable with such an environment with others like him which given Epstein's quiet and soft spoken nature was laughable and he politely turned down the invitation.

However, he had good reason to turn down the invitation in which his fears of the growing AIDS pandemic had made Epstein wary that if he was not careful then it could affect him and knew it was a death wish and given how he had barely survived a drug overdose in 1967 that could have ended his life, he had no intention of risking his life for a second time, even if it meant that it would likely mean he would not be able to find a love interest for the time being which he would admit that he had regrated that it had come to this. When he would see the footage of Mercury's birthday party in Munich and saw how such a mad affair it had been and with Mercury bragging about who he had slept with without any cares in the world, Epstein wasn't jealous of missing out, on the contrary, he was left with a dread about what he had saw.

The whole party had all the ingredients of a possible location were AIDS could have been and even though Epstein that even a few years ago had suspected that Mercury might have caught AIDS as early as 1982, there was no doubt in his mind that this was almost certain were AIDS had caught up with Mercury and while he said nothing to the Queen frontman following his birthday, he was angry that one of his biggest stars of the Apple label had been so reckless and that it could spell disaster for the band. For Epstein though, all be could do was prey and hope all would turn out for the best.

---------
The mid 80s had been something of roller coaster time for Apple Corps in which the company had grown far more than its humble hippy roots into become a true media giant that many felt would be a major force by the end of the decade and even some predicting that if they expanded further into other avenues such as animation, TV and others then they could rival Disney by the 1990s. Speaking of which, it was Disney that would give Epstein some food for thought in which in 1983, he had made a visit to Walt Disney World in Florida when he would join John and May Lennon with their family in which Epstein had by this point been made a Godfather to both Sean and Alice and was only too happy to have a vacation to get away from working at Apple.

In a moment that bared a spooky resemblance to when Walt Disney first conceived of the idea of Disneyland when he had seen his daughters ride a merry-go-round and coming up with the idea of a place where adults and their children could go and have fun together, Epstein would end up having a similar experience in which he, while sitting with Lennon in the Fantasyland area of the park watching May along with Sean and Alice enjoying themselves that he then had an unlikely idea that he pitched an idea to John Lennon.

At first, Lennon thought it was just a thought and nothing else and muttered that it was, yet little did he know just how important that moment was in which rather than take time to enjoy the many attractions which while he did, he would take notes about what worked and what didn't and the Lennons would all recall that after the Disney World trip that he wasn't talking about how much he enjoyed the trip and all that, but rather how he felt that there should be a Disneyland in Britain in which John Lennon would later state he was taken aback at how determined Epstein seemed to be at the idea and when he returned to the main Apple offices in London, he would at first tell the board members that they should be investing in real estate and in truth, this wasn't the first time that Apple, or The Beatles more so, had been involved with such an scheme.

Many Beatles fans would know of the story of how The Beatles came close to buying a set of Greek islands in 1967 in which was thought of being their own private location in which The Beatles were required to buy special export dollars before applying to the Greek government for permission to spend them and they eventually got clearance for the purchase of the islands, but by that time the group had moved on. The £90,000-worth of dollars was sold back to the government, and the value had risen giving The Beatles £11,400 profit on the unrealised deal [2]. Nonetheless, the moment remains nothing more than a mere footnote and many suspect that had it gone ahead, it would have been doomed to fail for whatever reason.

Other than acquiring of their new Liverpool studio, Apple hadn't really done much in this market yet now seemed the time for the company, and by extension Epstein's fingerprints, onto a new venture to take the company somewhere it hadn't really dip its toe to be truth. Epstein's idea of a theme park venture for the company was at first laughable as no one in the company had any idea of how it could work and given what Britain was at the time, the idea of a Disneyland in the UK seemed a foolish thought. At that time the only amusement park attractions were that of the many seaside amusement parks much like Blackpool's Pleasure Beach, Margate's Dreamland or Southport Pleasureland and even then they all seemed somewhat stuck in a time wrap of not really having changed much since before the war yet some did note change was happening.

In 1980, Alton Towers up in the Midlands would become Europe's largest leisure park at that time thanks to some big investment between then and 1983, the park had turned many people's mindset on how possible it was to make a theme park in the UK with Alton Towers being looked upon as Britain's own Disneyland at that time and would at that time begin many copycat theme parks that would open during the 1980s in trying to replicate that success and as it would seem, Apple would attempt to jump on that bandwagon. When the other Beatles, other than Lennon was was aware of it, first heard of the idea they were all taken a back at what Epstein was trying to do in which Harrison would admit when he first heard of the idea that their manager and chairman had lost his mind.

However, once the wave of scepticism and mockery past, pretty soon then those on the Apple board started realise that maybe it wasn't a bad venture at all as not only did they have the money to build a theme park but also owned IP's from their film division in which the idea of rides based of Terry Gilliam's two films 'Time Bandits' and 'Brazil' or maybe even on Monty Python and of course something regarding The Beatles themselves like a themed area to Pepperland as seen in the film Yellow Submarine started to seem like a good idea and even though no location had been sourced, pretty soon those who had bad mouth at the idea would all soon start throwing ideas about what attractions of areas they could have with many throwing ideas around though nothing really was agreed on then.

Amazingly, none of these ideas leaked out to the press as it was only an idea that was kept at the very top of Apple with many of those even in the company were unaware of such a plan taking shape. By 1985, the idea had started to gain traction in which even The Beatles all came in with an idea or two with McCartney coming up visiting Alton Towers that spring to get ideas of what they could do and would come up with the first agreed scheme of having an entrance or Main Street USA as seen in the Disney parks to be themed round that of Liverpool or more truthfully Matthew Street which every Beatles fan would know is the home of the legendary Cavern Club and where Epstein first met the band and where his NEMS shop was located and that would be the starting point for this new theme park.

Of course, the idea of where the theme park would be (in those days given the puny working name as 'Beatles Land') would prove to be a challenge as there were many places that would shoot down on any theme park proposal on their doorstep in which would see at that time only a handful of theme parks in the UK open during that time and it would seem that there was no hope for a location with some at Apple seriously considering a possibility of buying out Alton Towers and rebuilding it in their own image but they all knew that it would be better to start from scratch but at first there seemed no possible location until 1985 when Apple suddenly had a lucky break on a location near Ilkeston in Derbyshire on what was a newly opened theme park called Britannia Park.

The history of this location built on an area of Country Park which had been subject to deep seam and opencast coal mining called Shipley Mines which had ended production in the 1970s and the local county council had then decided to reuse the land to create an all new leisure park that would designed around celebrating all things British and a Kent based company known as KLF to design the park that would name it as Britannia Park that would celebrate Britain's past, present and future. The park itself would open in 1985 though the park was far from finished in which much of the park hadn't been landscaped by that point in which the opening 1985 season would prove to be an utter disaster as the park closed after just 10 weeks of operation, not to mention that due to 1985 being much of a washout due to bad weather, little could be done with getting the park ready into a fit state with KLF being forced to sell shares to pay off creditors, not to mention its founder Peter Kellard was later imprisoned for fraud in one of the most infamous fraud cases in Britain. That all said, suddenly, Apple had found their chosen park and would swoop in to buy many shares that was needed to complete a takeover bid though the property was acquired by Derbyshire County Council who were looking to find a new owner to try and make the park into a success [3].

When Apple came forward with an interest to make their intentions clear to the public of entering the theme park business, many were left stunned at what seemed to be something that no had predicated would happen in which the press would, rather foolishly, say that The Beatles were opening a theme park when in truth none of them had really been behind this other than just a few ideas and that this was all down to Epstein and it seems crazy to think the idea of a new theme park might sound appealing, there were many, mostly the locals, who were unhappy at the proposal even before Britannia Park had opened in which many had expressed concerns of its concept and the expected traffic that could cause pollution to the area and when Britannia Park failed miserably, they thought that was the end of it. No one had expected the idea of Apple coming in and taking control themselves.

Epstein knew that had had to make sure this could work and try and win over a sceptical public and country council over proving that they were not fools in doing this, and instead Apple would announce a press conference for what was to be known as 'Apple Corps World' or as some negative minded people thought as Epstein's folly. In the conference, he had anticipated many questions about what the park would entail and Epstein would show detailed drawings of many planned ideas of the park in what was to follow was done as a way to 'stump' the sceptics to show them everything that was happening and prove that they were serious about the idea and that they had the money to do all this. Even those who did like idea did wonder why didn't they make a Beatles theme park in Liverpool rather than somewhere in the Midlands which in truth had no Beatles connection at all.

Despite some questions still lingering in how serious they were in this idea, the local council seem satisfied with the proposals and Apple would buy out the whole site outright just before Christmas 1985 and 1986 would see Apple now enter the world of theme parks as they began a year long rebuilding of the park, which to be fair had literally nothing on site to begin with, for planned opening in Summer 1987 that look set to shake the tourism market to its foundations.

I honestly thought Brian had lost it since we left Disney World. I don't know what caused this to affect him, but he was damn set of doing this project but he was spending millions of this project with what was at that time said to be the largest construction project in the country at that time. He invited us over in 1986 to show what had changed and we had all seen what Britannia Park was like which honestly was just crap and likely shouldn't have been built in the first place and with the money that had been spent on this project, surely it had to be better.

When we all arrived, which was the band and many Apple higher ups who wanted to see what had been happening and when we got there, for once I was lost for words. Yes, it was still all nothing more than a major construction site, it was still something and looked far better than what had come before it in which the entrance area had been rebuilt from the ground up, mainly due to what was subsidence issues they found [4] which meant they had to rebuilt it anyway in what would become a near replica of Matthew Street in Liverpool. I remember saying, "Christ, that crazy bastard has pulled it off!"

Either way, we were all pretty much blown away and soon got behind the idea; if the whole thing would work or not was another factor but for now, we knew we had something and that was the first time that year we were all together and soon enough, we began thinking of a new album and that maybe we should make an attempt as we had heard many wanting to hear a new Beatles album so then...we just thought 'why the hell not?'

-----------
As Apple Corps World was pretty much very much under construction, or as some would call it as Epstein's Folly, The Beatles were left inspired by what they had saw and would soon put in a plan for a new Beatles album for 1987 in which just so happened to mark the 20th anniversary of perhaps the band's most iconic album of the 60s and with one area of the the new theme park being named Pepperland, ideas soon started to form into what was going to be the band's third album of the 1980s and unlike before during this decade in which The Beatles were seen as ancient, now there was a new sense of expectation that they hadn't seen in years and now there was perhaps no more room for error for a new Beatles album that had to deliver...the band were about to return to Pepperland.

[1] Yes, Shanghai Surprise still happens here and is still the same bad film much like in OTL. A bad film from Apple had to happen here sooner than later.
[2] If you remember the whole story of the band buying a Greek island back in the day, yes, that still happened here like OTL.
[3] For those who aren't aware, Britannia Park would end up being The American Adventure Park that would open in 1987 and closed in 2007, the story of that park is worth a story in its own right and you need to check on that first as it is a sad story of what might have been had it had more investment and luck on its side. A perfect location for a new Apple theme park.
[4] This was actually a problem with the park IOTL as the park is built on a mine, the entrance was built above on mine shaft that hadn't been noticed and saw the old entrance, one of the best in the UK, closed off and a rather shabby looking entrance was opened which made the park look cheaper. Had they had to rebuild the entrance here, more than likely this would have come up and they would end up sorting this out.

So there we, another filler update with Epstein taking more of role here and here we see perhaps the most exciting part of this TL in which we shall be seeing a new Apple theme park although I do need your help with both what the theme areas and attractions that there should be built on this park so please give me any suggestions you might have as we will get an update on the park when it opens either in the next or the update after that. Either way, who wants to imagine a Beatles theme park in any TL? Don't think this has been explored before but does have potential when you consider Apple's IP's it has under its belt so who knows what they can do here?

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update and I'll hopefully see you all later in the next update, until then, catch you all later! :)

I wonder if the album will be called Pepperland. I also wonder if Freddie will live longer ITTL. I apologize for not commenting on Live Aid, as I felt that unlike Woodstock, their performance is pretty standardly good.

We always appreciate the effort you put into this, and that you've continued the TL as long as you have. Don't get discouraged!
[/QUOTE]

Please add my appreciation. As a Gen xer, I am mind boggled to think of the Beatles active in the 1980s. To be honest, I didn’t follow much pop music in the 80s. I was ready for the 90s nostalgia. Will Paul be doing any swing tunes? That was a 90s fad.

Epstein's Folly

---------

---------

-----------

I wonder if Steve Jobs work is at a point to contribute to this project?

Now for the next update and I will say I'm a little bit disappointed at the lack of a response for the last update as I would have thought Live Aid might have gotten a good deal of attention for this TL but alas it seems I was wrong.
I somehow missed the last update, weird.

A good update but I think a bit anti-climatic, can't put my finger on why though, maybe cause the Beatles never broke up and had already returned to playing live again and they didn't steal the show but I don't blame you for not taking away Queen's glorious moment.

I liked the last update a bit more, never would've thought of a Beatles theme park but I like the idea and can picture rides based on songs like Yellow Submarine (a submarine ride of course but a little more psychedelic than the Disney sub ride), Magical Mystery Tour, Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds ( a plane or blimp simulated ride perhaps.

The park should very high tech but maybe have a retro 1960's vibe with certain sections named Penny Lane ( a shopping center), Strawberry Fields (restaurants?) and Blue Jay Way.

One will have to be careful with keeping everything tasteful and not having the place look like some big Beatles sellout shlock fest.
Maybe also give the place a Rock n Roll hall of fame or Hard Rock café theme as well with overtures to other great rock bands and personalities.

I'll post more ideas as they come and hope others will too.

I somehow missed the last update, weird.

A good update but I think a bit anti-climatic, can't put my finger on why though, maybe cause the Beatles never broke up and had already returned to playing live again and they didn't steal the show but I don't blame you for not taking away Queen's glorious moment.

I liked the last update a bit more, never would've thought of a Beatles theme park but I like the idea and can picture rides based on songs like Yellow Submarine (a submarine ride of course but a little more psychedelic than the Disney sub ride), Magical Mystery Tour, Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds ( a plane or blimp simulated ride perhaps.

The park should very high tech but maybe have a retro 1960's vibe with certain sections named Penny Lane ( a shopping center), Strawberry Fields (restaurants?) and Blue Jay Way.

One will have to be careful with keeping everything tasteful and not having the place look like some big Beatles sellout shlock fest.
Maybe also give the place a Rock n Roll hall of fame or Hard Rock café theme as well with overtures to other great rock bands and personalities.

I'll post more ideas as they come and hope others will too.
Regarding the theme park, it is based on Apple and not fully the Beatles. Yes, an area of the park might be themed for them and other musical artists...for some reason I could picture a Rock N Roller coaster like with Disney but themed round Queen instead of Aerosmith but that's another idea for some other time. Something themed round Time Bandits or Brazil is certainly possible when you take in the other Apple properties so honestly there are endless ideas to play with, just the idea is that what works better.

Likely won't reach full potential until we get to the 90s so it'll be a slow burn on the side of this TL.