Glad to see that Eppy and the Beatles are discovering new talent from their hometown. Another Liverpudlian act would be The Teardrop Explodes and I can easily picture the Fabs signing up Frankie Goes To Hollywood by 1984 (spoiler ahead?)
Keep an eye out soon enough!
What about Elvis Costello? I know that by the 1980s, he was known and living in London, though.
Yeah, he'll likely make an appearance soon enough.
I’d like to see you tackle another band in this once the Beatles side of the story concludes.
However I would really love further expansion onto what else Apple Corps. does here
While other bands and artists will get mentioned, it is still a Beatles TL first and foremost for the most part with Epstein as our main character in which I have roughly marked out how the TL will go. That said though, I have thought about what else Apple does here by the time the 90s come about in which I could see Apple that big enough to expand in over avenues other than film, music, computer or television but still need to think about it.
I have thought about Apple entering the theme park business during the late 90s or late 80s in which they buy out the American Adventure park in the Midlands and make it into a sort of Apple Corp World Resort or something like that though it needs more thought about it in what it would contain never mind if I actually put it into the TL.

Apple that big enough to expand in over avenues other than film, music, computer or television
I want my BEATLES TV!!!
Seriously imagine a TV station that only played Beatles and Beatles related programming. Not anywhere near enough Beatles related stuff on the various music TV channels.

Sounds like a great tour there, something jumped out:

“tour in which not only were the band about to head to new locations which were to be their first concerts in Africa, the Middle East and South America” - what African dates? There are not gigs in Africa listed?

Glad Time Bandits got made, it’s one of my favs!

Perhaps the Beatles could consider teaming up with 80’s ‘hot’ artists like Micheal Jackson or Springsteen to produce stuff?

Be interesting if the Beatles or its members got political about Thatcher’s policies and its effects in the north, esp Liverpool. Could charity works, gigs, appeals, albums follow?

LiveAid is soon…

It's A Tug Of War Into The 1980s
It's time for another update and with that we get into our first Beatles album of the 1980s and a lot riding on it. If you can guess from the title then yes, it does sound familiar. But anyway, I'll shut up and lets get started with 1982...

Extract from 'Ancient: The Beatles In The 1980's' by Alyson Henderson
Though Dream Away might not have been a major hit compared to the likes to My Sweet Lord or Imagine, it did prove that there was indeed still an audience out there for The Beatles or rather sadly by some nefarious members of the press as the 'Flab Five' (an obvious parody to the famous 'Fab Four' title that had been with them for years prior) in what they saw as The Beatles as a ancient by-product of the 1960s that should've been put to rest long ago. Indeed, there was some debate among the band if they should really actually should make a new album given the underwhelming reception that had greeted Two Faced when released and since then to pour salt into the wounds, it had become an album that even among some Beatles fans would get forgotten about.

All the same though, there was that feeling, mostly by Paul McCartney that at the very least they should try one more album just to see if they still had a place in this new musical world which something different for all of them for if it failed then it would signal that The Beatles had no place in this new decade and even solo careers might be not much better. It would cautiously agreed that a new album for 1982 would be coming out to come out on the 20th anniversary of their first single Love Me Do and they all knew that this next to Band On The Run was perhaps going to be the biggest make or break moment for the band. Brian Epstein was aware of this and ideally he would love to see The Beatles carry on in which despite all the milestones he and managed to gain with Apple and likely more to follow, he knew that he owed it all to The Beatles.

They had been the backbone to getting to where Apple was in which Epstein would recall an infamous caricature drawing in the The Sun newspaper called 'Carry That Weight' after the song in Abbey Road in which had the The Beatles all holding up a huge brown bag representing Apple Corp in which from the top had all the mother musical artists, films, computers and all sorts that made up Apple in which had The Beatles trying to carrying this huge weight up this hill which had an arrow pointing to what is said to be the promised land. What that promised land was supposed to be was something that Epstein could never quite understand what that meant but he also knew that this next album was going to have to be special if the band were going to so-call win the crowd back.

---------
Extract from 'Made In Liverpool: The Story of Apple Corps Liverpool Studio' by David Bedford
Though Paul McCartney might have been the first Beatle to have recorded an album at the new studio, he wasn't the first artist to record there in which even after just a year from opening for business, it had already seen several other artists from Liverpool and other parts of the north of England and even Scotland to flock to Liverpool to record music and hopefully make it big with Apple Corp Liverpool, or better known as Exchange Station Studios due to its railway past, was to become what many felt on Merseyside as their own answer to the legendary Abbey Road Studios. That said though despite how the new studios had all the modern features that would have suited any artist to find that certain sound for that decade, many though did feel that the Exchange Station Studios would only be truly christened if The Beatles were to record an album there and as it would turn out in December 1981, the band would get to work on their next album, the first to be made in their home city which from the get go created much interest.

That said, there was a great deal of pressure going into this album and the band knew that they would need all the help they could get in which George Martin would be brought in to act as the producer to help create arrangements, a more polished sounded compared to Two Faced, which he would come to regret as a disappointment for many years afterwards, as well as add any orchestral scores needed. The album would also have other help such as Ray Cooper adding his style of percussion needed, Geoff Emerick once again as the engineer as he had been for many of the older Beatles album and there was a sense of a lot of the old guard being back to record this new album. Some on the outside looked at this as if the band were trying to be safe for a more 'traditional' sounding Beatles album that might have been lost with Two Faced.

Even then, the idea of The Beatles recording in their home city had caught the imagination of much of Liverpool in which some other artists would also have some small uncredited roles such as one Elvis Costello, an artist who had been with Apple since his debut album in 1977 as well as a long running hoax story that an early Frankie Goes To Hollywood had also helped on the new album but this would be debunked by many over the years though incidentally there would be some half truth to the story in which Brian Epstein had met Holly Johnson at Exchange Station Studios in which while nothing of such came of it, it would lay the groundworks for Frankie Goes To Hollywood to join onto the Apple label a year later but that would be another story. Nonetheless, which such a strong Scouse feeling going around, it was seriously considered to call the new album Made In Liverpool which would have been perhaps one of the most fitting titles for an album ever given it was being made in Liverpool by a Merseyside band.

Yet for some reason, this title despite being used for much of the new album's production, it oddly dropped by several higher ups in Apple's London based team to instead call the album Tug Of War in which was never explained why this was the case though a bizarre one was that the London based team, likely with the infamous Toxteth riots still fresh in the minds of many and Liverpool being no longer as what seemed to be the capital of pop culture during the mid 60s Britain, Liverpool in the 1980s sadly though was gaining the unwanted reputation of a city of mass unemployment, criminals, loss of industry and a city on a downward spiral and it would seem that those Apple producers in London felt that a Beatles title called Made In Liverpool might harm it commercially at least from a British perspective so it was dropped.

---------
Extracts from 'In My Life' by John Lennon
That really was the worst the Apple team in London ever did was wanting to change the album title just because they felt calling anything or association with Liverpool was a kiss of death which I supposed if you lived in a rather sweet life in those rich London homes, you would have thought that Liverpool was like some bombed out city that needed to be put out of the misery and in some ways admittedly that was true, only because we had such a stupid Government that would have rather seen Merseyside fall of the face of the Earth than get any sort of help. It was such a fucking foolish fear to have if they thought just the name of some place up north was going to harm sells even if we were from that place they feared greatly. Little wonder for a time that the Apple teams in Liverpool and London didn't see eye to eye in which the former felt shunned by them and honestly who could blame them?

That still pisses me off that they did that as honestly 'Made In Liverpool' was just such a perfect title for an album but alas we were overruled by forces outside our control in which might seem crazy when you think that we (The Beatles and Epstein) helped create Apple but yet there were folk coming in who thought otherwise. That really did show you far Apple had grown and had changed either for the best or worst depending on where you stood. So in the end, they used the title Tug Of War from one of Paul's songs which I'm not sure why but with hindsight it does seem oddly fitting as we were something in a tug of war over the direction of the title of the album and of what musical direction we were going for the album which I never really thought of much until I get older.

---------
Despite the gripes about the title for the new album, Tug Of War would actually have a fairly straight forward production in which most of the songs had all been either written for a few years now or were already done in which the first song to be added to the album would be Harrison's Dream Away in which without a soundtrack for Time Bandits being released, the song was instead added to the album which given how popular a song it was seemed like a no brainer though Harrison would remain busy. He would bring forward three more songs with the first being one written for Ringo Starr which would be the rather jaunty Wrack My Brain and the other two would both be sequels to previous songs from Harrison's list of tunes. The most obvious would be Here Comes The Moon, quite honestly a companion to his more famous Here Comes The Sun in which Here Comes The Moon would be a more folk pop song and would go on to be a little classic Beatles tune that was a worthwhile sequel to the original song.

Another song from Harrison would be This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying) which would be another 'sequel' type song to his more famous While My Guitar Gently Weeps though in fact it had been written as early as 1974 during the band's tour of North America in which Harrison would admit was a low point with him with critics lashing out on him mostly to his shoddy performances and that the song was written in response to that [1] though it would remain stuck in Harrison's backlog list for many years. However, in the wake of the infamous 'Flab Five' jokes aimed at each member of The Beatles by this point, the song would get an unexpected revival in which as both as a way at getting at this critics as well as playing with some nostalgia with fans who remember the original song.

With John Lennon, he would give out his three songs for the album in which the first would be perhaps the highlight of the album and perhaps one of greatest songs he had written in a long time which would be the powerful ballad called Woman which Lennon would write as an ode to his wife May [2] and in many ways would be his own answer to McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed and Woman seemed liked a sure fire hit single from the new album. The other song from Lennon would perhaps be one of his more interesting songs which would be She's A Friend Of Dorothy, which title is based on a euphemism for a gay man, first used in LGBT slang in which the song is often thought of a more gay accepting of sort during the early 80s in which the song has been always thought of a song aimed towards Brian Epstein given his own homosexual though others have thought of it to either Elton John or Freddie Mercury though this has never been made clear.

Nonetheless, many Beatles fans like to think of this song as the band's first LGBT song and something of a queer anthem though at the same time there would be other Beatles fans who would like to point that that You've Got To Hide Your Love Away was the first LGBT song The Beatles would do as many say that was a song aimed for Brian Epstein regarding his own homosexual though even this was neither confirmed or denied. Nonetheless, for any gay bar that was anywhere during the early 80s, She's a Friend of Dorothy was more than likely to be playing out in the clubs anywhere in the world. Finally, Lennon's third song would perhaps be perhaps one of his older songs that he had kept on the back burner for several years in which would be Steel And Glass, a song that had been with him since 1973 and had been written as a rather scathing attack on Allen Klein who Lennon had still never forgotten about though it might have been a song that had remained on the cutting room floor if not for the whole debacle from Apple's London based colleagues for not wanting to call the album Made In Liverpool for what they had thought of Liverpool which Lennon felt the need to express his displeasure in which he took the existing song, dusted it off and changed the lyrics around to reflect the circumstances [3].

Finally Paul McCartney would bring his list of songs to the album in which first would be the title song being Tug Of War, a song with sad lyrics about the struggle to survive, the necessity of conflict (pushing and pulling) and the hopeful refrain, in which the song seems to looks for a future where these struggles are no longer necessary. The other song from McCartney would be the sleek pop inspired Take It Away which seemed like a sure-fire hit single from the album and finally the last song from McCartney and the closing song from the album would be the soaring song Wanderlust in which George Martin would famously call it as McCartney's best vocals ever for a song [4]. With that, the band seemed to have a strong selection of songs that they all felt would help make the album a special one.

On April 26nd 1982 [5], Tug Of War would be released worldwide as The Beatles' first album of the new decade and a lot was riding on to see if the band still had a place in this new musical world that according to some felt that they didn't belong to.

Tug Of War (1982)

Side 1

1) Tug Of War
2) Take It Away
3) Woman
4) Here Comes The Moon
5) Wrack My Brain

Side 2
6) This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)
7) Steel And Glass
8) Dream Away
9) She's A Friend Of Dorthey
10) Wanderlust

Despite fears of failure, Tug Of War would proved to be a commercial and critical hit with fans and critics alike with it hitting number one in several countries across the world in which compared to the lukewarm reception to Two Faced, the reception to Tug Of War was a far greater one in which not only many said was a return to form for the band but perhaps their best world since Band On The Run which really said a lot to how many felt about this album and after all the fears that it would flop and that The Beatles would no longer be needed, the success of this album made it all worthy while and while a third wave of Beatlemania didn't happen, there was at least a new sense of respect aimed at the Beatles that they perhaps hadn't felt in some years.

To this day, Tug Of War is often considered one of The Beatles' best albums and certainly perhaps the best of their output in the 80s according to some though this can be debateable. What could be agreed upon is that the album was a true classic album and would be an album that is looked back on fondly by many Beatles fans though the question now was 'what now?'

----------
Extract from 'Epstein: The Tertiary Years 1979 - 1988' by Debbie Geller
When Tug Of War proved to be the hit album that it turned out to be, it was more of a sense of relief for Brian Epstein that everything had worked out for his prized band that they still had it in them although there was no resting for Epstein. The concept of MTV had started to take off in which now musical artists of all sorts were now trying to make an impact with their own respective music video to go with any hit single they might had have and The Beatles would enter the world of MTV for the first time though one could argue that The Beatle had already been doing music videos since the days of Revolver in videos like Rain, Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields Forever just to name a few with some arguing that The Beatles were somewhat seen as founding fathers of what MTV would be.

Regardless though, Tug Of War would be the first Beatles album that would appeal to the MTV crowd in which it was decided that the album's two singles in Woman, Wrack My Brain and Take it Away would all get a music video each and all very different from each other. Woman would be made first in which would be a more 'traditional' music video of the band performing interspliced with shots with The Beatles with their respective partners which in many ways was to some hardcore Beatles fans seemed to be almost a copy of the video for Something, only difference was that three of The Beatles in that video had a different wife with them [6]. The music video for Wrack My Brain would be perhaps one that would see The Beatles play up their zany comedy in which the video, in what could be the inspiration for the more famous Thriller video for Michael Jackson, would have Ringo Starr exploring a haunted house in which would have the other members of the band, as well as a cameo from Starr's wife Barbara Bach, all hamming up as strange ghouls of the house [7].

It was however the song Take It Away in what would be perhaps the most elaborate video in which would be looked on as a mini retelling of The Beatles story in which starts off with the band, even George Martin along with them, playing in a 1960s themed living room trying to play, then making music in the recording studio before then playing to a live show to a large crowd in which even Brian Epstein would make perhaps his first ever appearance in a music video in which he plays himself as the one who discovers the band who helps makes them big and was perhaps the biggest music video the band had done by that point [8]. Despite all being different music videos with different themes they would all pretty much get their respectable airtime with The Beatles now 'with it' so to speak.

That said, the lack of major tour in which the band, other than McCartney, had ruled out given how they had already done a tour most recently and didn't want to get back on the road for the time being which in some ways after the good buzz that Tug Of War created on its release, interest and sales in the album would soon dip in which Epstein would note that had The Beatles toured then it might have gotten the album the bigger success it could have deserved despite the album having already outsold Two Faced from the before it. That said though, 1983 was looking to be a busy year for the band in which not only were they about to cross paths with the Pythons once again but would also see them cross paths with a certain King of Pop who was to set to dominate much of the music world and create one of the more unlikely collaborations ever...

[1] As what was said with OTL, same thing happened here.
[2] Or Yoko IOTL but nonetheless the song remains pretty much the same as OTL.
[3] Song does sound the same as OTL though with some tweaked lyrics in places.
[4] As said with OTL too.
[5] The release date of OTL Tug of War too, same date for TTL too.
[6] Yeah, if you've seen Something, imagine that video but in the 80s for the most part for Woman.
[7] The music video for Wrack My Brain is the same as OTL, only has the rest of The Beatles playing the ghouls in the video in which I'll let you imagine who plays who.
[8] The music video for Take It Away is mostly the same as OTL's given how it is somewhat a mini Beatles reunion there with Ringo and George Martin playing in it. One difference in the video is that Brian Epstein is playing John Hurt's role in the video in which given he is playing the Epstein role in the video and that is is something of the story how The Beatles were discovered and made famous, only fair that Epstein plays himself in the video. Plus, you can imagine what the likes of John and George would all bring to the video which I can let you imagine what they could do, haha.

So there we are, we have a pretty solid album here in which while OTL Tug Of War is IMO perhaps one of McCartney's greatest solo albums, imagine if we had the touch of the other Beatles on it, it would be a damn good album in truth and starts them off in a good position for this decade. Also, we're using one of John's 'lost' songs in which is 'She's A Friend of Dorothy' in which given how Lennon is alive and well here, I suspect these songs would have been fleshed out here and I know some of the songs during that time were written due to his lifestyle then though I'd like to imagine (no pun intended) that these songs would still come about albeit in different ways.

Anyway, next update will be with what our boys will be getting up to with the Pythons before we move onto an update that might be of interest to many of you. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the update and look forward to seeing you all soon in the next update as we question the meaning of life! ;)

Sounds like a great tour there, something jumped out:

“tour in which not only were the band about to head to new locations which were to be their first concerts in Africa, the Middle East and South America” - what African dates? There are not gigs in Africa listed?
About the latter, my bad, that was an error on my part I forgot to change (fixed it now) in which I did think about The Beatles playing in either Morocco or South Africa but both were no goes during that time, mostly the latter in which if you remember how in OTL The Beatles refused to play to a segregated crowd in 1964, no way that would have worked in South Africa during that time in which given what the country was like then, that would have been a backlash for them for going there so I quickly avoided that though I can see The Beatles playing in Africa soon enough ITTL though we'll have to wait for that.

Perhaps the Beatles could consider teaming up with 80’s ‘hot’ artists like Micheal Jackson or Springsteen to produce stuff?

Be interesting if the Beatles or its members got political about Thatcher’s policies and its effects in the north, esp Liverpool. Could charity works, gigs, appeals, albums follow?

LiveAid is soon…
Funny you should say about MJ and Thatcher because in the latest update...! :p

It's time for another update and with that we get into our first Beatles album of the 1980s and a lot riding on it. If you can guess from the title then yes, it does sound familiar. But anyway, I'll shut up and lets get started with 1982...

Though Dream Away might not have been a major hit compared to the likes to My Sweet Lord or Imagine, it did prove that there was indeed still an audience out there for The Beatles or rather sadly by some nefarious members of the press as the 'Flab Five' (an obvious parody to the famous 'Fab Four' title that had been with them for years prior) in what they saw as The Beatles as a ancient by-product of the 1960s that should've been put to rest long ago. Indeed, there was some debate among the band if they should really actually should make a new album given the underwhelming reception that had greeted Two Faced when released and since then to pour salt into the wounds, it had become an album that even among some Beatles fans would get forgotten about.

All the same though, there was that feeling, mostly by Paul McCartney that at the very least they should try one more album just to see if they still had a place in this new musical world which something different for all of them for if it failed then it would signal that The Beatles had no place in this new decade and even solo careers might be not much better. It would cautiously agreed that a new album for 1982 would be coming out to come out on the 20th anniversary of their first single Love Me Do and they all knew that this next to Band On The Run was perhaps going to be the biggest make or break moment for the band. Brian Epstein was aware of this and ideally he would love to see The Beatles carry on in which despite all the milestones he and managed to gain with Apple and likely more to follow, he knew that he owed it all to The Beatles.

They had been the backbone to getting to where Apple was in which Epstein would recall an infamous caricature drawing in the The Sun newspaper called 'Carry That Weight' after the song in Abbey Road in which had the The Beatles all holding up a huge brown bag representing Apple Corp in which from the top had all the mother musical artists, films, computers and all sorts that made up Apple in which had The Beatles trying to carrying this huge weight up this hill which had an arrow pointing to what is said to be the promised land. What that promised land was supposed to be was something that Epstein could never quite understand what that meant but he also knew that this next album was going to have to be special if the band were going to so-call win the crowd back.

---------
Extract from 'Made In Liverpool: The Story of Apple Corps Liverpool Studio' by David Bedford
Though Paul McCartney might have been the first Beatle to have recorded an album at the new studio, he wasn't the first artist to record there in which even after just a year from opening for business, it had already seen several other artists from Liverpool and other parts of the north of England and even Scotland to flock to Liverpool to record music and hopefully make it big with Apple Corp Liverpool, or better known as Exchange Station Studios due to its railway past, was to become what many felt on Merseyside as their own answer to the legendary Abbey Road Studios. That said though despite how the new studios had all the modern features that would have suited any artist to find that certain sound for that decade, many though did feel that the Exchange Station Studios would only be truly christened if The Beatles were to record an album there and as it would turn out in December 1981, the band would get to work on their next album, the first to be made in their home city which from the get go created much interest.

That said, there was a great deal of pressure going into this album and the band knew that they would need all the help they could get in which George Martin would be brought in to act as the producer to help create arrangements, a more polished sounded compared to Two Faced, which he would come to regret as a disappointment for many years afterwards, as well as add any orchestral scores needed. The album would also have other help such as Ray Cooper adding his style of percussion needed, Geoff Emerick once again as the engineer as he had been for many of the older Beatles album and there was a sense of a lot of the old guard being back to record this new album. Some on the outside looked at this as if the band were trying to be safe for a more 'traditional' sounding Beatles album that might have been lost with Two Faced.

Even then, the idea of The Beatles recording in their home city had caught the imagination of much of Liverpool in which some other artists would also have some small uncredited roles such as one Elvis Costello, an artist who had been with Apple since his debut album in 1977 as well as a long running hoax story that an early Frankie Goes To Hollywood had also helped on the new album but this would be debunked by many over the years though incidentally there would be some half truth to the story in which Brian Epstein had met Holly Johnson at Exchange Station Studios in which while nothing of such came of it, it would lay the groundworks for Frankie Goes To Hollywood to join onto the Apple label a year later but that would be another story. Nonetheless, which such a strong Scouse feeling going around, it was seriously considered to call the new album Made In Liverpool which would have been perhaps one of the most fitting titles for an album ever given it was being made in Liverpool by a Merseyside band.

Yet for some reason, this title despite being used for much of the new album's production, it oddly dropped by several higher ups in Apple's London based team to instead call the album Tug Of War in which was never explained why this was the case though a bizarre one was that the London based team, likely with the infamous Toxteth riots still fresh in the minds of many and Liverpool being no longer as what seemed to be the capital of pop culture during the mid 60s Britain, Liverpool in the 1980s sadly though was gaining the unwanted reputation of a city of mass unemployment, criminals, loss of industry and a city on a downward spiral and it would seem that those Apple producers in London felt that a Beatles title called Made In Liverpool might harm it commercially at least from a British perspective so it was dropped.

---------
Extracts from 'In My Life' by John Lennon
That really was the worst the Apple team in London ever did was wanting to change the album title just because they felt calling anything or association with Liverpool was a kiss of death which I supposed if you lived in a rather sweet life in those rich London homes, you would have thought that Liverpool was like some bombed out city that needed to be put out of the misery and in some ways admittedly that was true, only because we had such a stupid Government that would have rather seen Merseyside fall of the face of the Earth than get any sort of help. It was such a fucking foolish fear to have if they thought just the name of some place up north was going to harm sells even if we were from that place they feared greatly. Little wonder for a time that the Apple teams in Liverpool and London didn't see eye to eye in which the former felt shunned by them and honestly who could blame them?

That still pisses me off that they did that as honestly 'Made In Liverpool' was just such a perfect title for an album but alas we were overruled by forces outside our control in which might seem crazy when you think that we (The Beatles and Epstein) helped create Apple but yet there were folk coming in who thought otherwise. That really did show you far Apple had grown and had changed either for the best or worst depending on where you stood. So in the end, they used the title Tug Of War from one of Paul's songs which I'm not sure why but with hindsight it does seem oddly fitting as we were something in a tug of war over the direction of the title of the album and of what musical direction we were going for the album which I never really thought of much until I get older.

---------
Despite the gripes about the title for the new album, Tug Of War would actually have a fairly straight forward production in which most of the songs had all been either written for a few years now or were already done in which the first song to be added to the album would be Harrison's Dream Away in which without a soundtrack for Time Bandits being released, the song was instead added to the album which given how popular a song it was seemed like a no brainer though Harrison would remain busy. He would bring forward three more songs with the first being one written for Ringo Starr which would be the rather jaunty Wrack My Brain and the other two would both be sequels to previous songs from Harrison's list of tunes. The most obvious would be Here Comes The Moon, quite honestly a companion to his more famous Here Comes The Sun in which Here Comes The Moon would be a more folk pop song and would go on to be a little classic Beatles tune that was a worthwhile sequel to the original song.

Another song from Harrison would be This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying) which would be another 'sequel' type song to his more famous While My Guitar Gently Weeps though in fact it had been written as early as 1974 during the band's tour of North America in which Harrison would admit was a low point with him with critics lashing out on him mostly to his shoddy performances and that the song was written in response to that [1] though it would remain stuck in Harrison's backlog list for many years. However, in the wake of the infamous 'Flab Five' jokes aimed at each member of The Beatles by this point, the song would get an unexpected revival in which as both as a way at getting at this critics as well as playing with some nostalgia with fans who remember the original song.

With John Lennon, he would give out his three songs for the album in which the first would be perhaps the highlight of the album and perhaps one of greatest songs he had written in a long time which would be the powerful ballad called Woman which Lennon would write as an ode to his wife May [2] and in many ways would be his own answer to McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed and Woman seemed liked a sure fire hit single from the new album. The other song from Lennon would perhaps be one of his more interesting songs which would be She's A Friend Of Dorothy, which title is based on a euphemism for a gay man, first used in LGBT slang in which the song is often thought of a more gay accepting of sort during the early 80s in which the song has been always thought of a song aimed towards Brian Epstein given his own homosexual though others have thought of it to either Elton John or Freddie Mercury though this has never been made clear.

Nonetheless, many Beatles fans like to think of this song as the band's first LGBT song and something of a queer anthem though at the same time there would be other Beatles fans who would like to point that that You've Got To Hide Your Love Away was the first LGBT song The Beatles would do as many say that was a song aimed for Brian Epstein regarding his own homosexual though even this was neither confirmed or denied. Nonetheless, for any gay bar that was anywhere during the early 80s, She's a Friend of Dorothy was more than likely to be playing out in the clubs anywhere in the world. Finally, Lennon's third song would perhaps be perhaps one of his older songs that he had kept on the back burner for several years in which would be Steel And Glass, a song that had been with him since 1973 and had been written as a rather scathing attack on Allen Klein who Lennon had still never forgotten about though it might have been a song that had remained on the cutting room floor if not for the whole debacle from Apple's London based colleagues for not wanting to call the album Made In Liverpool for what they had thought of Liverpool which Lennon felt the need to express his displeasure in which he took the existing song, dusted it off and changed the lyrics around to reflect the circumstances [3].

Finally Paul McCartney would bring his list of songs to the album in which first would be the title song being Tug Of War, a song with sad lyrics about the struggle to survive, the necessity of conflict (pushing and pulling) and the hopeful refrain, in which the song seems to looks for a future where these struggles are no longer necessary. The other song from McCartney would be the sleek pop inspired Take It Away which seemed like a sure-fire hit single from the album and finally the last song from McCartney and the closing song from the album would be the soaring song Wanderlust in which George Martin would famously call it as McCartney's best vocals ever for a song [4]. With that, the band seemed to have a strong selection of songs that they all felt would help make the album a special one.

On April 26nd 1982 [5], Tug Of War would be released worldwide as The Beatles' first album of the new decade and a lot was riding on to see if the band still had a place in this new musical world that according to some felt that they didn't belong to.

Tug Of War (1982)

Side 1

1) Tug Of War
2) Take It Away
3) Woman
4) Here Comes The Moon
5) Wrack My Brain

Side 2
6) This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)
7) Steel And Glass
8) Dream Away
9) She's A Friend Of Dorthey
10) Wanderlust

Despite fears of failure, Tug Of War would proved to be a commercial and critical hit with fans and critics alike with it hitting number one in several countries across the world in which compared to the lukewarm reception to Two Faced, the reception to Tug Of War was a far greater one in which not only many said was a return to form for the band but perhaps their best world since Band On The Run which really said a lot to how many felt about this album and after all the fears that it would flop and that The Beatles would no longer be needed, the success of this album made it all worthy while and while a third wave of Beatlemania didn't happen, there was at least a new sense of respect aimed at the Beatles that they perhaps hadn't felt in some years.

To this day, Tug Of War is often considered one of The Beatles' best albums and certainly perhaps the best of their output in the 80s according to some though this can be debateable. What could be agreed upon is that the album was a true classic album and would be an album that is looked back on fondly by many Beatles fans though the question now was 'what now?'

----------
Extract from 'Epstein: The Tertiary Years 1979 - 1988' by Debbie Geller
When Tug Of War proved to be the hit album that it turned out to be, it was more of a sense of relief for Brian Epstein that everything had worked out for his prized band that they still had it in them although there was no resting for Epstein. The concept of MTV had started to take off in which now musical artists of all sorts were now trying to make an impact with their own respective music video to go with any hit single they might had have and The Beatles would enter the world of MTV for the first time though one could argue that The Beatle had already been doing music videos since the days of Revolver in videos like Rain, Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields Forever just to name a few with some arguing that The Beatles were somewhat seen as founding fathers of what MTV would be.

Regardless though, Tug Of War would be the first Beatles album that would appeal to the MTV crowd in which it was decided that the album's two singles in Woman, Wrack My Brain and Take it Away would all get a music video each and all very different from each other. Woman would be made first in which would be a more 'traditional' music video of the band performing interspliced with shots with The Beatles with their respective partners which in many ways was to some hardcore Beatles fans seemed to be almost a copy of the video for Something, only difference was that three of The Beatles in that video had a different wife with them [6]. The music video for Wrack My Brain would be perhaps one that would see The Beatles play up their zany comedy in which the video, in what could be the inspiration for the more famous Thriller video for Michael Jackson, would have Ringo Starr exploring a haunted house in which would have the other members of the band, as well as a cameo from Starr's wife Barbara Bach, all hamming up as strange ghouls of the house [7].

It was however the song Take It Away in what would be perhaps the most elaborate video in which would be looked on as a mini retelling of The Beatles story in which starts off with the band, even George Martin along with them, playing in a 1960s themed living room trying to play, then making music in the recording studio before then playing to a live show to a large crowd in which even Brian Epstein would make perhaps his first ever appearance in a music video in which he plays himself as the one who discovers the band who helps makes them big and was perhaps the biggest music video the band had done by that point [8]. Despite all being different music videos with different themes they would all pretty much get their respectable airtime with The Beatles now 'with it' so to speak.

That said, the lack of major tour in which the band, other than McCartney, had ruled out given how they had already done a tour most recently and didn't want to get back on the road for the time being which in some ways after the good buzz that Tug Of War created on its release, interest and sales in the album would soon dip in which Epstein would note that had The Beatles toured then it might have gotten the album the bigger success it could have deserved despite the album having already outsold Two Faced from the before it. That said though, 1983 was looking to be a busy year for the band in which not only were they about to cross paths with the Pythons once again but would also see them cross paths with a certain King of Pop who was to set to dominate much of the music world and create one of the more unlikely collaborations ever...

[1] As what was said with OTL, same thing happened here.
[2] Or Yoko IOTL but nonetheless the song remains pretty much the same as OTL.
[3] Song does sound the same as OTL though with some tweaked lyrics in places.
[4] As said with OTL too.
[5] The release date of OTL Tug of War too, same date for TTL too.
[6] Yeah, if you've seen Something, imagine that video but in the 80s for the most part for Woman.
[7] The music video for Wrack My Brain is the same as OTL, only has the rest of The Beatles playing the ghouls in the video in which I'll let you imagine who plays who.
[8] The music video for Take It Away is mostly the same as OTL's given how it is somewhat a mini Beatles reunion there with Ringo and George Martin playing in it. One difference in the video is that Brian Epstein is playing John Hurt's role in the video in which given he is playing the Epstein role in the video and that is is something of the story how The Beatles were discovered and made famous, only fair that Epstein plays himself in the video. Plus, you can imagine what the likes of John and George would all bring to the video which I can let you imagine what they could do, haha.

So there we are, we have a pretty solid album here in which while OTL Tug Of War is IMO perhaps one of McCartney's greatest solo albums, imagine if we had the touch of the other Beatles on it, it would be a damn good album in truth and starts them off in a good position for this decade. Also, we're using one of John's 'lost' songs in which is 'She's A Friend of Dorothy' in which given how Lennon is alive and well here, I suspect these songs would have been fleshed out here and I know some of the songs during that time were written due to his lifestyle then though I'd like to imagine (no pun intended) that these songs would still come about albeit in different ways.

Anyway, next update will be with what our boys will be getting up to with the Pythons before we move onto an update that might be of interest to many of you. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the update and look forward to seeing you all soon in the next update as we question the meaning of life! ;)
Not really a fan of most these OTL songs so I doubt I'd like this one, in fact I can honestly say I would have liked Two Faced better.

LiveAid is soon…
Not a fan of MJ or Springsteen but I am looking forward to TTL's LiveAid.

Some of the Titles in the post are not in italics when other titles in the same post are.

Tug Of War sounds like an ok album, I would have hoped by now Billy would be getting at least a song on an album - some Beatles soul/funk would be cool.

We have been talking about the Band working with the cool kids from the 80's but what has happened to the other stars from the 60's like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy Fury, Tom Jones etc? Are Apple helping any of their contemporaries?

Are the Beatles/Apple doing anything to help give relief to Liverpool which was suffering badly at this time?

Have the Band or members appeared on the Muppets? Since it filmed in the UK....

Tug Of War sounds like an ok album, I would have hoped by now Billy would be getting at least a song on an album - some Beatles soul/funk would be cool.
I personally don't see what the point of having Billy in the band was at all, he didn't write anything or sing anything and I'm sure there were a lot of Beatles songs without any keyboards on them so poor Billy probably sat around doing nothing or was just staying at home while those songs were being recorded.

We have been talking about the Band working with the cool kids from the 80's but what has happened to the other stars from the 60's like Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy Fury, Tom Jones etc? Are Apple helping any of their contemporaries?
I'd like to know about that too.
Have the Band or members appeared on the Muppets? Since it filmed in the UK....
Would have loved to seen the Beatles on the Muppet Show. :cool:

Would have loved to seen the Beatles on the Muppet Show. :cool:
Seems it could have happened several times: http://www.meetthebeatlesforreal.com/2015/09/the-beatles-and-muppets.html

3888627157_7b638429b8.jpg

Art from:
v0k1slx0ebjb1.jpg

Random find on Reddit- no artist listed.

Can I just say 1, how relieved I am that this wonderful AU wasn't halted by John dying in 1980. Also, I am pumped to see what they do with MJ, and if he doesn't buy the Beatles's old material in this timeline.

Can I just say 1, how relieved I am that this wonderful AU wasn't halted by John dying in 1980. Also, I am pumped to see what they do with MJ, and if he doesn't buy the Beatles's old material in this timeline.
I could see Epstein beating what's his face to acquiring the rights to the Beatles songs for the Beatles.
With maybe a small cut for himself.

Ooh, here's a question for you Adsy. IOTL the Beatles planned possibly performing together for SNL in April 1976, except on the day they were meant to perform, John and Paul were too tired. ITTL, would the Beatles ever be a musical guest or the special guest for an episode, seeing how Ringo, George and Paul have each performed, and Ringo and Paul have even hosted episodes.

We will get to MJ soon and there will be some differences later on in TTL.
I could see Epstein beating what's his face to acquiring the rights to the Beatles songs for the Beatles.
With maybe a small cut for himself.
Actually if you remember early on ITTL, Klein actually managed to get Paul and John to acquire Northern Songs in 1969 which actually almost did happen in our TL, only thing that stopped this from happening was John and Paul feuding at the time which caused this not to happen. Would have been one of the few good things Klein would have done for The Beatles had this happened as it would have meant that MJ wouldn't have swooped in to get Northern Songs himself though knowing how MJ did try and fail to copyright Harrison's songs thinking they were part of Northern Songs and not knowing they were separate from them, I wouldn't be surprised if MJ does something rather brass neck even ITTL with Northern Songs firmly in the hands of Apple here.
Ooh, here's a question for you Adsy. IOTL the Beatles planned possibly performing together for SNL in April 1976, except on the day they were meant to perform, John and Paul were too tired. ITTL, would the Beatles ever be a musical guest or the special guest for an episode, seeing how Ringo, George and Paul have each performed, and Ringo and Paul have even hosted episodes.
That doesn't happen here ITTL, mainly as the band is on tour during this time if you remember ITTL though I do see perhaps over time that each member of the band appearing on a SNL skit independently though what this could be I haven't really looked into that idea as such.

We will get to MJ soon and there will be some differences later on in TTL.

Actually if you remember early on ITTL, Klein actually managed to get Paul and John to acquire Northern Songs in 1969 which actually almost did happen in our TL, only thing that stopped this from happening was John and Paul feuding at the time which caused this not to happen. Would have been one of the few good things Klein would have done for The Beatles had this happened as it would have meant that MJ wouldn't have swooped in to get Northern Songs himself though knowing how MJ did try and fail to copyright Harrison's songs thinking they were part of Northern Songs and not knowing they were separate from them, I wouldn't be surprised if MJ does something rather brass neck even ITTL with Northern Songs firmly in the hands of Apple here.

That doesn't happen here ITTL, mainly as the band is on tour during this time if you remember ITTL though I do see perhaps over time that each member of the band appearing on a SNL skit independently though what this could be I haven't really looked into that idea as such.
Thank you for explaining. Ooh, will the Beatles perform at Live Aid? And if so, I can also see them performing at Live 8 and the Superbowl in 2005 (Since Paul performed that year.)

The Meaning Of Life Of This Film
It's time for another update and this will be a little shorter somewhat as The Beatles and Pythons Come Together (ha!) once again for a certain film in which you can see where this is all going. So without further things to say, here we go again with a new update!

The Meaning Of Life Of This Film

After the release for Tug Of War, things would all go rather quiet for The Beatles in which the brief burst of excitement for a new album had quickly been forgotten about within a few months following its release. The lack of a tour to promote the album and some tough competition both would lead to a strange situation that the band hadn't quite faced before in which years ago a Beatles album was normally the hottest thing to have but now this point, the ancient tag aimed at them was starting to bite at them as in way they all were starting to feel perhaps a little bit like Elvis Presley might've felt when The Beatles knocked him off his perch all those years ago. That said following the release of that album, the band would meet again although nothing to do with making music or performing live but rather that their friends in Monty Python had come calling again in which they would take part in filming in the group's third feature film called Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life.

It must be said that while the Pythons had two successful films under their belt in which Apple Films had benefited from yet the memories of the controversy around Life Of Brian was still fresh in the mind of many of the Apple higher ups who were worried that the Pythons would put on yet another so-called blasphemous film though Apple did actually end up producing and releasing the concert movie Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl in 1982. Speaking of which, 1982 would be quite the active year for Apple's film division in which three other films would be released that year which would be Scrubbers, The Missionary and Privates On Parade though each of them had varying degree of success . In the end, George Harrison being now the head of Apple Films by this point as well as the big Python fan that he was would be the one to get the higher ups at Apple to agree to greenlight the film for a 1983 release in which compared to the previous year, only the film Bullshot was to come out from Apple that year so having another movie to come out that year in the form of the next Monty Python movie seemed like a fair idea.

What would be more interesting about this new Python movie was its large production budget which would be an eyebrow raising $9 million, more than the previous two films combined and likely perhaps the most that had been spent on an Apple feature film by this point in which was showing how much Harrison had faith in the Pythons though some did argue that the Pythons worked better with lower budgets and that a higher budget might lead to them losing something that had made them beloved by millions across the world. Nonetheless, this allowed for large-scale choreography and crowd sequences, a more lavishly produced soundtrack that included new original songs, and much more time able to be spent on each sketch, especially The Crimson Permanent Assurance short film that was to play before the main feature film and directed by Terry Gilliam and all in all allowed for Monty Python to be more daring and brave. With all that said, all it needed was the now traditional cameo to be made by The Beatles that been a thing since Holy Grail though the question now was where they would fit into the film.

---------
Extract from 'A History Of Apple Films' by Ryan Parker
Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life was a totally different movie compared to the last two films in which unlike the others which each told a single, more-or-less coherent story, The Meaning of Life returned to the sketch format of the troupe's original television series and their first film from twelve years earlier, And Now for Something Completely Different, loosely structured as a series of comic sketches about the various stages of life. According to Michael Palin, "the writing process was quite cumbersome. An awful lot of material didn't get used. Holy Grail had a structure, a loose one: the search for the grail. Same with Life of Brian. With this, it wasn't so clear. In the end, we just said: 'Well, what the heck. We have got lots of good material, let's give it the loosest structure, which will be the meaning of life'".

For the Pythons, it would be one of the more ambitious productions they would ever had and by now the idea of having The Beatles in the film was become something that was to be expected as since the two groups enjoyed such a close friendship, it seemed only fair for them to carry this little tradition on playing cameos in the films in which by now The Beatles were being refer by some as honourable Pythons given how much they had been with the group for all these years. The question of what roles The Beatles would play in this film though would be perhaps be the first time in which they would all share the same scene albeit not together in which they would all star in the infamous Mr Creosote vomit scene and for Beatles fans, the scene itself would actually have some resemblance to Aunt Jessica's spaghetti nightmare sequence as seen in Magical Mystery Tour in which is set during a major dinner sequence.

In Magical Mystery Tour, John Lennon dressed as a French waiter, serves pasta to Ringo Starr's fictional Aunt Jessie using a spade to build a giant mound of spaghetti on the table in what is perhaps one of the more stranger scenes in that film which given how strange that film is in total really is saying something [1]. The Mr Creosote scene in Meaning Of Life would have a similar vibe in which a maître d'hôtel , planned to be played by John Cleese, would be serving food to Mr Creosote who is a monstrously obese and rude restaurant patron who is served a vast amount of food and alcohol whilst vomiting repeatedly. After being persuaded to eat an after-dinner mint – "It's only wafer-thin" – he graphically explodes in what is perhaps one of the most uncomfortable or funniest scenes depending on your own opinion ever created by Monty Python and made the bizarre dream sequence in Magical Mystery Tour look sensible in comparison which would have seen unthinkable a few years ago.

The comparison between the two scenes did not go unnoticed by George Harrison who would point out how similar the scenes were [2] and then a rather offhand idea would come from him of all people in which he would suggest that since Lennon played the role of the French waiter in that film, why not have him reprise his role as the waiter for this movie? Lennon was rather unsure about performing the role in which while he was more than happy to have a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' cameo, him performing a full role, not seen from him since staring in How I Won The War in 1966 was quite an ask for him. In the end however, Lennon would get cold feet but would play one role in the scene that in some ways is only a minute long yet is said to steal the scene regardless.

---------
Extract from 'In My Life' by John Lennon
From what I remember from that scene, we would all star in that Mr Creosote as it was at that time the only time we could all get together and since it was a rather large scene with many characters in it, there was plenty of characters for any of us to play in which George and Billy would play background waiters, Paul and Linda would play a couple at one table saying 'what a frightfully witty song' [3] after I finished my song while Ringo and Barbara would play two of the disgusted restaurant guests along side Graham Chapman and Carol Cleveland [4]. However, it was when I read the script there was this scene in which they have this Noel Coward character playing this little tune which you'll all know as 'The Penis Song' in which I couldn't stop laughing when I first read that in which while I wasn't much for acting, I just felt this feeling that I had to play that role as I knew I could ham that role to hell and back. However, it turned out they were going to have Eric Idle to perform it and then when it turned out that the rest of the band were to all play roles in that scene, they wanted to give to Paul.

Now to be fair, I could see where they were coming from as giving how we all know about Paul and his Granny music that I keep talking about and how a lot of his style does have that Noel Coward feel at times, it does seem to have some sense of that it would be a role fit for him. However with all due respect to Paul, I'd realise that he would play the role too straight as I knew it had to be hammed up and oddly enough Paul seemed happy for me to take the role as even he admitted that he felt he couldn't be a good fit for the role. So there it was, me dressed up like Noel Coward singing a song about the wonders of having a Penis in a Monty Python film...you couldn't make this up.

---------
Extract from 'A History Of Apple Films' by Ryan Parker
The scene in question would end up being perhaps a rather infamous shoot in which the Pythons would really push the boundaries with what could be said to be comedy and while The Beatles had all agreed to staring in the scene with George Harrison in particular more than happy to have a unspeaking cameo role as a waiter who can be barely seen in the final film compared to the rest of his bandmates who all had notable roles to various extends such as Lennon's scene stealing scene as the Noel Coward lookalike as well as Ringo Starr and wife Barbara's scene as the disgusted couple making a quick exit before further chaos can take place. Paul and Linda McCartney would play one of the dinners who seem to enjoy John's song while playing up the role as a rather snooty couple.

That said though, the filming of that scene would be perhaps the most challenging that any of the band had to put up with in which the fake vomit smell in which thanks to the heat of the studio lights made filming uncomfortable for pretty much everyone there with even some actually getting sick for real [5] in which Billy Preston during his cameo as one of the waiters had to pull out of filming due to him feeling sick which all leads to that scene in question being stated to be perhaps one of, if not the most, disgusting scenes ever done by Monty Python and the memories of that scene in practically for The Beatles would be a rather mixed one to put it mildly. Harrison would admit that it was an idea that seemed better on paper and that the smell is something that would forever haunt him, The McCartney's also admitted that while the scene started of quite well, it soon turned into chaos with them wondering what they had gotten themselves in for and finally Lennon who despite his unexpected scene stealing moment would later admit that it was a moment that went too far in his opinion.

As it would turn out later on, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life would be released in March 1983 in the United States and later in June for its UK release under the Apple label and while the film wouldn't garner the same level as infamy that would hit Life Of Brian, it would turn out to be not as acclaimed as its predecessors, but was still well received critically and was a minor box office success; the film grossed almost $43 million more than making back its $9 million budget. When released, The Beatles and the Pythons alike would both look on with some disappointment with John Cleese admitting that the film was a, 'bit of a cock up' with the rest of the Pythons admitting that the film wasn't as great as the other two films [6] and Harrison later stating that giving the film a big budget was perhaps a mistake in which he felt might had lost some of the charm that the Pythons had when working with lower budgets.

Nonetheless, many did caught on to the similarities to the Mr Creosote and Aunt Jessica dream scenes with many Beatles fans wishing in some ways that Lennon would have reprised his role as French waiter for that scene in which some would have stated that it could have put Magical Mystery Tour and Meaning Of Life in the same universe in which given how odd both films are is not exactly a bad thought when one thinks about it more. Despite this though, Lennon's moment would be actually a highlight in which while Lennon would lament the film, he did enjoy his moment to shine in which so much so that over the years during some live performance when between songs when bandmembers are changing instruments around, some audiences would get the treat of hearing Lennon perform The Penis Song live on piano which mostly for a joke yet audiences would often get a kick out of it.

---------
Following The Beatles staring alongside with Monty Python in Meaning Of Life, which incidentally with hindsight would be the last feature that all the Pythons would be involved together for something Monty Python related. Nonetheless as it would turn out, 1983 would be a busy year for The Beatles in which it would also be the year in which the band would team up with perhaps the biggest musical act of the decade and perhaps one could say either the biggest musical crossover of all time or perhaps a passing of the torch in terms of fame in the world of music...

[1] Yes, TTL's Magical Mystery Tour still has that scene still in it.
[2] George actually said this IOTL too.
[3] Now then in this video, Paul and Linda would play the couple who say what a frightfully witty song at 0:40 in the video while John is playing Eric Idle's role as let's be honest, you could imagine Lennon hamming it up for sure in that role as I did think putting Paul in the role but for some odd reason it just didn't see to fit.
[4] Also in the video, Ringo and Barbara are playing the couple at the bottom of the image at 3:58.
[5] This actually happened on set IOTL too so you could imagine The Beatles feeling rather sickly after this too.
[6] As said with OTL too.

And that's that. Not the most important update of the lot and one that is pretty similar to OTL but always fun seeing The Beatles and Monty Python group come together once again. Now I will say I was very close to having Lennon at first reprise his role as the French waiter as seen in MMT in John Cleese's role in the film yet honestly I couldn't see Lennon wanting to do a full acting role by this point and the idea of him doing the Penis song and not Eric Idle just seems to fit so well you have to admit so I just went with that idea.

So next up is another musical update and one that you might understand where we're going to next but I'll remain quiet on the matter until this time next week. So until then, catch you all later and hope you enjoyed this update! :)