The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

Can you Show it? I tried to find it.Who Was US President and UK PM during AANW?

There:

One of the things mentioned way back on the original forum was a model of the Panther III. Can't get the exact photo, but IMO the Panther III looks something like this, of course, in a forest camo https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11589079-panther-iii.html. Now AFAIK the Panther III is essentially a prototype OTL Leopard I turret put on top an improved version of the Panther II hull. What do you all think that the main WAllied tanks look like? Do they look anything like the tanks of OTL?

Some people early on the original forum questioned whether the Nazis would get around to building a Panther III when their Panther I proved to be more of a match for WAllied armor in Manchuria. I disagree with that sentiment, in part because the Nazis had the Panther II in development as early as 1943 OTL and there'd be no reason that the Nazis would not continue developing and deploying better tanks. If Calbear really, really, really, really wanted to make TTL an Allied-Wank he would have had M48s facing first-generation Panthers in Sicily (and have the Nazis for some reason not rush out the Panther III in response). The Nazis ITTL had to be given at least some kind of advantage over the WAllies or else it would have been boring.

It's more, I think, that their war experience ITTL made it clear that there should never be another T-34 shock, ever again. So they naturally pursued that line of tank design, and since it's a pretty simple engineering challenge vs. the more theoretical ones involved in working SAMs or nuclear weapons, it made sense they'd get further.

Didn't help them in the end, of course, but it's entirely plausible.

What happened to the founders of Critical Theory and Postmodernism in this reality?

Is there any equivalent of OTL Grievance Studies?

What is global economic inequality like given a longer Great Leveler than OTL?
This was discussed in detail in this thread and the original one. Wealth inequality is nowhere near as big of an issue as it is IOTL. There are only a handful of billionaires and the Global South is significantly better off.

So I read this story waaaaaaay back when it was new and almost dreaded the updates as they got more and more bleak. Anyways, today a song popped up that had me reminiscing about AANW. This song and album art from all those years ago encapsulates the USA and Allies’ mindset during The Final Phase.

Let's not walk into this particular bar fight.
One time on the old thread I recall there was a short discussion on how things would look with Heydrich surviving past 1942. You stated how that would've been "bad juju" due to his competence along with being malicious. Broadly, how do you suppose the Warm and Hot wars would've been affected by Heydrich's survival and becoming a more powerful figure within the Nazi regime right as the SS itself was becoming more influential? Do you suppose he could've whipped the Waffen-SS into proper fighting shape? Would he have been a counterbalance to Himmler's own recklessness and ineptitude?

Broadly, how do you suppose the Warm and Hot wars would've been affected by Heydrich's survival and becoming a more powerful figure within the Nazi regime right as the SS itself was becoming more influential?
CalBear has stated that Heydrich would have been satisfied ruling Europe and wouldn’t have desired to attack the WAllies and put everything they achieved at risk. Once the war actually started over again he would have followed Hitler and whatever orders given to him.
Do you suppose he could've whipped the Waffen-SS into proper fighting shape?
Heydrich was only ever a naval officer and pilot but never showed anything close to military genius. He alone couldn’t have changed the Waffen-SS into anything other than a more skilled and better armed IJA run by people put into position based off politics and loyalty rather than skill and competence. Heydrich was a true believer and loyal Nazi and ultimately Hitler and Himmler controlled the military and who got promoted and what the policies were. The Waffen-SS’s flaws were systemic and institutional and a symptom of Nazism’s rot.
Would he have been a counterbalance to Himmler's own recklessness and ineptitude?
To a degree though ultimately Himmler was his superior so Heydrich would have to obey the orders given (as he did IOTL) or risk dismissal.

Last edited:
CalBear has stated that Heydrich would have been satisfied ruling Europe and wouldn’t have desired to attack the WAllies and put everything they achieved at risk. Once the war actually started over again he would have followed Hitler and whatever orders given to him.

Heydrich was only ever a naval officer and pilot but never showed anything close to military genius. He alone couldn’t have changed the Waffen-SS into anything other than a more skilled and better armed IJA run by people put into position based off politics and loyalty rather than skill and competence. Heydrich was a true believer and loyal Nazi and ultimately Hitler and Himmler controlled the military and who got promoted and what the policies were. The Waffen-SS’s flaws were systemic and institutional and a symptom of Nazism’s rot.

To a degree though ultimately Himmler was his superior so Heydrich would have to obey the orders given (as he did IOTL) or risk dismissal.
Well, Calbear implied otherwise and I'm specifically deferring to him to elaborate on that line of thought.

Even a "more skilled and better armed IJA" Waffen-SS could have ramifications on it's own for the Hot War. Considering how prominent of a role he had played in the Third Reich OTL, being the chief organizer of the Final Solution it is not implausible that Heydrich could continue to procure more and more influence within the Third Reich as time went one given how much Hitler held him in high regard, in particular because of his successes in stabilizing German dominance in Czechia which was of enough concern for the British to plan his assassination.

Even a "more skilled and better armed IJA" Waffen-SS could have ramifications on it's own for the Hot War.
I meant the Waffen-SS in AANW during the Hot War was no more than a Nazi IJA but with better equipment and training and wouldn’t cease fighting even when captured unlike Japanese soldiers. “Nazi IJA” is the author’s term, not mine. I don’t think Heydrich could feasibly change this to any significant degree all things considered. What could he plausibly do to improve the Waffen-SS given that he was a fanatic that bought into Nazi Party doctrine and Himmler and Hitler were the ones that ultimately gave the orders?

Heydrich was intelligent but he wasn’t Lex Luthor as some like to believe. As long as Hitler, Bormann, Goebbels and Himmler had their way any German ground force would have been a shadow of its former self once they thoroughly Nazify it and make sure all those obnoxious Field Marshals and Generals are out of the way. This was elaborated elsewhere in this thread and the original.
Well, Calbear implied otherwise and I'm specifically deferring to him to elaborate on that line of thought.
What was implied otherwise? In context of the quote “Bad juju” clearly means Heydrich as Fuhrer would have been nightmarish since he was both evil and intelligent. Here’s the exact quote from CalBear I was referencing:
IMO Heydrich would have been satisfied with sucking Europe dry. There would undoubtedly been some pushing around the edges of what made up the "Nazi Empire" along the margins (further into the Middle East/ SW Asia, Turkey, etc.), probably some of the same sort of gamemanship that marked the West/East Cold War to try to extract concessions/better trade deals with the rest of the world, but actually deciding to restart an existential war seems very unlikely.

Heydrich was a true sociopath, and a very intelligent one. As such he didn't care about other people, but he did have a strong survival instinct and a marked absence of delusions of grandeur. Pretty much the mirror of Hitler.

Last edited:
I meant the Waffen-SS in AANW during the Hot War was no more than a Nazi IJA but with better equipment and training and wouldn’t cease fighting even when captured unlike Japanese soldiers. “Nazi IJA” is the author’s term, not mine. I don’t think Heydrich could feasibly change this to any significant degree all things considered. What could he plausibly do to improve the Waffen-SS given that he was a fanatic that bought into Nazi Party doctrine and Himmler and Hitler were the ones that ultimately gave the orders?

Heydrich was intelligent but he wasn’t Lex Luthor as some like to believe. As long as Hitler, Bormann, Goebbels and Himmler had their way any German ground force would have been a shadow of its former self once they thoroughly Nazify it and make sure all those obnoxious Field Marshals and Generals are out of the way. This was elaborated elsewhere in this thread and the original.
Ideological fanaticism doesn't always abolish at least a measured sense of pragmatism. When Heydrich had administered Czechia, his way of keeping down the Slavic populace didn't rely solely on brutal force (though such was widely applied of course) but also mollifying measures like increased labour wages and increased food rationing. Such policies worked just as well alongside the obligatory harsh oppression in pacifying the Czechs that, as I said, worried the British enough about the lack of resistance activity that they plotted Heydrich's assassination.

How that example of pragmatism relates to the Warm/Hot period and beyond can take many forms. Utter loyalty is highly sought for the Waffen-SS, yes, but one can still recognize that it is better yet for the officers to have an acceptable grasp on what is necessary for modern warfare and the old Wehrmacht would have that in spades. Your line about those Generals and Marshals needing to get out the way for the sake of Nazification could be mistaken at a glance for accidently slipping into "Clean Werhmacht" thought about how they were an obstruction to Hitler's goals when by and large the officers had unwavering loyalty to Nazism and the regime. In fact it can be questioned if lacking the 1944 July plot, whether Hitler would be so hasty to begin side-lining the Wehrmacht at least while a concretely assured peace with the Allies is not in the cards to securely undergo such total reorganization and when any mutinous threat would be of no suspecting concern. So I can hypothetically envision Heydrich persuading Hitler (with the help of the high standing he would hold with the Furher) to enlist the input and advices of these ideologically reliable Wehrmacht commanders (the likes of Manstein) so as to help professionalize the Waffen-SS. Generally smooth out the whole process of replacing the Heer with the Waffen-SS.

Heck, something like that did happen during the Victory offensive in the TL:
The attack itself, which began well before dawn on December 16th, took place near the “seam” between the U.S. 15th Army Group and the Commonwealth 21st Army Group somewhat south of the Belgian capital. Designed to be a double envelopment, the attack plan recalled the heady days of 1941 and Barbarossa (considerable evidence exists that a number of retired Heer officers, as well as the few remaining senior staff officers who were on active duty with the Waffen SS, were consulted regarding the attack overview, if not directly involved with the actual attack plan), but without the veritable sea of reserves that were available to the Heer when it entered Russia. The overall plan was to split the Allied forces by nationality and inflict maximum casualties on American ground forces while holding the British forces at bay.
What was implied otherwise? In context of the quote “Bad juju” clearly means Heydrich as Fuhrer would have been nightmarish since he was both evil and intelligent. Here’s the exact quote from CalBear I was referencing:
And I am extrapolating from this evil intelligence which Calbear said would've made Heydrich a particularly nefarious Furher to ask how that element could've influenced things whilst he is a top figure in the regime during Hitler's continued reign.

I really wondered who is the leader of China Confederations in TTL? What's happened to Mao and the status of Taiwan during the post-Hot War? And the fate of Tibet?

I really wondered who is the leader of China Confederations in TTL? What's happened to Mao and the status of Taiwan during the post-Hot War? And the fate of Tibet?

Cabal has collective leadership so there is not supreme leader. Not any idea who did found Chinese Naitonal Congederation. Mao was killed at some point. Not idea what did happen to Chiang. I think that Tibet is independent.

who is the leader of China Confederations in TTL? What's happened to Mao and the status of Taiwan during the post-Hot War? And the fate of Tibet?
I believe Mao died during the civil war with the KMT. It’s never stated who the exact members of the Cabal are and the first iteration weren’t aren’t anyone recognizable IOTL after the multi sided civil war in China ended. Remember that Hitler, Himmler, Hess, Bormann and Goebbels were all nobodies before becoming Nazis. Goering was the only one that had any kind of fame or status.

Last edited:
Cabal has collective leadership so there is not supreme leader. Not any idea who did found Chinese Naitonal Congederation. Mao was killed at some point. Not idea what did happen to Chiang. I think that Tibet is independent.
What if these people are Fu Zuoyi, Yan Xishan, Ma Hushan, Ma Bufang, Ma Hongkui, Lu Han, and Huang Shaoxing?

And Chiang Kai-shek is still martyr like in OTL??!
Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Revolutionary_Martyrs'_Shrine

In regards to the Cabal CalBear explicitly said none of the names would mean anything. Chiang was granted asylum in the Philippines while Mao’s request for asylum in the USSR was refused.

In regards to the Cabal CalBear explicitly said none of the names would mean anything. Chiang was granted asylum in the Philippines while Mao’s request for asylum in the USSR was refused.
That's mean Chiang is in Philippines while other KMT members are still in Taiwan during the takeover of Mainland China?