The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

Interesting...any further details to divulge on that front? The estimated numbers of these Bitter Enders? When was the last holdout neutralized? The casualties figures incurred in mopping them up?
In the TL, there was a mention of the Nazi supreme leader for Eastern Europe ordered capitulation, and that some hardcore Nazis replied by killing themselves.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Interesting...any further details to divulge on that front? The estimated numbers of these Bitter Enders? When was the last holdout neutralized? The casualties figures incurred in mopping them up? (Last questions that I have for this time)
Not really. The Polish divisions fighting with the British were pretty through. But no idea on casualties. As far as final holdout? Let's say 1967.

Japanese holdouts were more a nuisance than an actual problem in OTL. My father still remembers when Hiroo Onoda surrendered to the Philippine government. He was still 14. It was a big event here in the Philippines and the world.

Members of the Waffen-SS and SS ITTL were too aggressive and fanatical to hold out for years and decades. Once the war was over any surviving members that didn’t surrender would either have killed themselves or died in a blaze of glory (which is exactly what happened en masse).

On a related note I wonder what motivated the Waffen-SS commander in charge of the Nuremberg pocket to surrender once Berlin was taken bringing the war to an end and what his life was like afterwards. IOTL the July 20th conspirators were still regarded as traitors decades after the war ended so I can only imagine the perception in this case.

Last edited:
Members of the Waffen-SS and SS ITTL were too aggressive and fanatical to hold out for years and decades. Once the war was over any surviving members that didn’t surrender would either have killed themselves or died in a blaze of glory (which is exactly what happened en masse).
There's a story in the Writer's Forum here in an alternate WWII where there are diehard Nazi holdouts in the marshes of Ukraine. The U.S. and Allied Forces have to fight both Nazi holdouts and anti-Western Soviet partisans.

@CalBear Something really interesting that I have thought to ask. Douglas MacArthur's son, Arthur MacArthur.

OTL it was widely expected that Arthur would become a military man like his dad and grandfather. Douglas himself desired as much but that did not come to pass and Arthur chose to live a more uneventful life. ITTL though, being born in 1938 he would be of the ripe age to fight in the Hot War. So did he join the military like his pop wanted and served in Europe? What became of him?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
@CalBear Something really interesting that I have thought to ask. Douglas MacArthur's son, Arthur MacArthur.

OTL it was widely expected that Arthur would become a military man like his dad and grandfather. Douglas himself desired as much but that did not come to pass and Arthur chose to live a more uneventful life. ITTL though, being born in 1938 he would be of the ripe age to fight in the Hot War. So did he join the military like his pop wanted and served in Europe? What became of him?
Went to the Point. Graduated right at the end of the war. Spent his Service time in Japan.

Japanese holdouts were more a nuisance than an actual problem in OTL. My father still remembers when Hiroo Onoda surrendered to the Philippine government. He was still 14. It was a big event here in the Philippines and the world.
The holdouts were largely a contained problem though in that they were on islands or in very isolated areas and usually didn't have access to anything more powerful than a bolt action rifle.

ITTL Nazi holdouts could have retired to the forests with ATR's, heavy machine guns, explosives and even the precursors for chemical weapons. That would ensure they had to be hunted down ASAP rather than left to rot as long as they stayed out of populated areas.

Especially as said population is made up of people they've spent years trying to exterminate and will attack even at risk of their own survival. In contrast the Japanese holdouts usually (even one's who might have committed atrocities earlier on) were rational enough to not murder vast numbers of people if it risked them getting caught.

So, I checked both this thread and the old one, and couldn’t find any mention of him, but what happened to Bob Keeshan, also known as the television host Captain Kangaroo? Otl he was in the marines during the Second World War, though he was still in basic training when it ended. He never saw combat otl, did that change ittl?
wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Keeshan

The holdouts were largely a contained problem though in that they were on islands or in very isolated areas and usually didn't have access to anything more powerful than a bolt action rifle.

ITTL Nazi holdouts could have retired to the forests with ATR's, heavy machine guns, explosives and even the precursors for chemical weapons. That would ensure they had to be hunted down ASAP rather than left to rot as long as they stayed out of populated areas.

Especially as said population is made up of people they've spent years trying to exterminate and will attack even at risk of their own survival. In contrast the Japanese holdouts usually (even one's who might have committed atrocities earlier on) were rational enough to not murder vast numbers of people if it risked them getting caught.
Nazi holdouts would have attracted the CIA, MI6, Mossad, and the KGB, or even the Interpol.

The Japanese holdouts did some carnage in other areas. Especially Onoda and his men who thought the civilian farmers of Lubang Island were Allied spies. The leaflets and surrender broadcasts were thought to be a ruse. Once Onoda was alone, his men having been killed in shootouts with the police and one voluntarily surrendering, he still did not believe until his commanding officer relieved him of duty. President Marcos personally pardoned him.

Important to note Onoda and his men were outgunned (think Arisaka rifles vs M16s and M14s). Plus, Lubang Island housed Gozar Air Station, a joint USAF-PAF installation. His cave was just near it. The fact he fought for 29 years amazes me.

Not Mossad, as there is no state of Israel ITTL (as Europe's Jews were almost entirely exterminated by the Nazis, and the pre-war Yishuv alone was too small to establish such a state).
Oh so what happened to the remnants? And what about the OTL place of Israel? What is it like in this timeline?

Oh so what happened to the remnants? And what about the OTL place of Israel? What is it like in this timeline?

In EUrope only in Britain, Sweden, Finland, Iberian nations, Ireland and Italy has any Jewish population. Rest are spread around the world but even combined numbers even in 2021 is much lower than in OTL. I don't even want imaginate how low it is.

I think that Palestine is incomrporated to Jordan but I am not totally sure. At least on old thread world map show that way but I don't know if CalBear agrees.

So how are these people like ittl:
Gentuilo Vargas
Juscelino Kubitschek
Joao Goulart
Carlos Lacerda
Adhemar De Barros
Henrique Teixeira Lott
Janio Quadros

Went to the Point. Graduated right at the end of the war. Spent his Service time in Japan.
While on the topic of those who would have been of age to possibly fight in the Hot War. Broadside question; what happened to these people/did they see service?

Anthony Hopkins
James Earl Jones (He did serve in the Korean War, OTL)
Morgan Freeman
Ridley Scott
Jack Nicholson (Was drafted into the USAF, OTL)

While on the topic of those who would have been of age to possibly fight in the Hot War. Broadside question; what happened to these people/did they see service?

Anthony Hopkins
Morgan Freeman
Ridley Scott
Broadly the entire OTL silent generation can be assumed to have served in some capacity (as well as younger members of the OTL Greatest) during the warm war. In fact those two generations are probably lumped together ITTL especially since (due to being the children of the lost generation) the silent is proportionally smaller anyway.

Broadly the entire OTL silent generation can be assumed to have served in some capacity (as well as younger members of the OTL Greatest) during the warm war. In fact those two generations are probably lumped together ITTL especially since (due to being the children of the lost generation) the silent is proportionally smaller anyway.
Then it begs the question on whether the above listed actors had managed to survive through it all. From an OTL perspective it would be a tragedy for these movie icons to have died prematurely.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

Anthony Hopkins
Morgan Freeman
Ridley Scott
This has gotten a bit over the top at this point.