In OTL Empress Matilde was very close to die, while giving birth to her second son Geoffrey. What if she effectively died in that childbirth? Geoffrey would be free to remarry to Eleanor of Aquitaine (her father has no need to give his daughter and heiress as ward to the French King if he can marry her to his neighbor and ally) and little Henry would become heir of England and Normandy and most likely sent to his maternal grandfather. ATL Stephen would likely become Henry’s regent (alone or sharing power with Henry I’s bastard son Robert of Gloucester) and possibly would marry him to his own eldest daughter

Trees
WIP - POD is Empress Matilda dying in childbirth in 1134 (as in OTL she was close to dying)

Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou and Maine (b. 1113) married a) Matilda of England (1102-1136) in 1128 b) Eleanor, Duchess of Aquitaine (b. 1122) in 1136
  1. a) Henry II, King of England (b. 1133) married Matilda, Countess of Boulogne and Mortain (b. 1133)
  2. a) Geoffrey (1134-1138)
  3. b) William, Count of Poitiers (1140-1148)
  4. b) Richard, Duke of Aquitaine (b. 1142) married Adela of Champagne (b. 1140)
  5. b) Eleanor (b. 1144) married Henry I, Count of Champagne (b. 1127)
  6. b) Fulk, Count of Anjou and Maine (b. 1143) married Margaret of France, Countess of Vexin (b. 1145)
  7. b) Alix (b. 1145) married Theobald, Count of Blois (b. 1130)
  8. b) Ermengarde (b. 1152)
  9. b) William (b. 1153) married Sibylla, Queen of Jerusalem (b. 1160)
  10. b) Matilda (b. 1155)
  11. b) Robert (b. 1156) married Constance, Duchess of Brittany (b. 1161)
  12. b) Sibylla (b. 1158)
NOTES: Geoffrey being available is the most attractive candidate for Eleanor of Aquitaine so he remarried to her. ATL Henry II will be the successor of his namesake maternal grandfather, and the succession to the English Crown will not be contested. Stephen of Blois will rule England as Regent for the young Henry and will marry him to his own eldest daughter (who will inherit her mother’s Boulogne and her father’s Mortain after her brothers died childless)

So Henry ii get the Normandy and England if he is anything like his OTL self he my look to expand into Wales and have an Alliance with his half brothers in France to secure his northern lands in France.

The reason Wales was never completely subjugated by the Plantagenets and Norman Dynasty because they where more concerned with fighting France.

So Henry ii get the Normandy and England if he is anything like his OTL self he my look to expand into Wales and have an Alliance with his half brothers in France to secure his northern lands in France.

The reason Wales was never completely subjugated by the Plantagenets and Norman Dynasty because they where more concerned with fighting France.
Yes, ATL Henry II has his father and half-brothers to protect his borders in Normandy so he is free to conquer Wales. Blois and Champagne also are part of the alliance as ATL Henry II is marrie to the daughter of Stephen of Blois, while the eldest of his half-brothers had married Adela of Champagne, whose brothers married two daughters of Geoffrey and Eleanor

Last edited:
Yes, ATL Henry II has his father and half-brothers to protect his borders in Normandy so he is free to conquer Wales. Blois and Champagne also are part of the alliance as ATL Henry II is marrie to the daughter of Stephen of Blois, while the eldest of his half-brothers had married Adela of Champagne, whose brothers married two daughters of Geoffrey and Eleanor
The original Henry ii I believe wanted a Plantagenet loose confederation to hold power Henry did style himself as king of England, lord of the Normand, angelvin , aquitanian so that suggested Henry has big hold for the future but those dreams where destroyed by him own family and Philip II of France.

The original Henry ii I believe wanted a Plantagenet loose confederation to hold power Henry did style himself as king of England, lord of the Normand, angelvin , aquitanian so that suggested Henry has big hold for the future but those dreams where destroyed by him own family and Philip II of France.
His dreams were destroyed by the fact who he reduced his sons to mere puppets instead of trusting them with at least a little power. And this Henry is totally different as he has only England and Normandy

His dreams were destroyed by the fact who he reduced his sons to mere puppets instead of trusting them with at least a little power. And this Henry is totally different as he has only England and Normandy
All of Henry energies will be in Normandy and England he my look to the British isles to increase his dynasty power. Pretty much doing what Edward I of England did but no wars with Scotland due to the king of Scots already owing the king of England fealty. That could be a reason for a course bill for Henry ii future descendants.

Will Henry brother drag him into wars with France but the Capations will be focused on destroying the Angevin Empire first.

All of Henry energies will be in Normandy and England he my look to the British isles to increase his dynasty power. Pretty much doing what Edward I of England did but no wars with Scotland due to the king of Scots already owing the king of England fealty. That could be a reason for a course bill for Henry ii future descendants.
Henry would be concentrated mostly on England
Will Henry brother drag him into wars with France but the Capations will be focused on destroying the Angevin Empire first.
Oh, please. Here Capetians would be able to do very little against ATL Angevins (reason for which Louis VII, who is useless as OTL will marry his eldest daughter to Geoffrey and Eleanor’s second son with Vexin as dowry).

Henry would be concentrated mostly on England

Oh, please. Here Capetians would be able to do very little against ATL Angevins (reason for which Louis VII, who is useless as OTL will marry his eldest daughter to Geoffrey and Eleanor’s second son with Vexin as dowry).
So there will be now Philip II of France or s different version of him is the situation is not reversed I can see the Capations lossing the throne or the Angevin getting a crown for them selfs.

Also with Henry focus on England and the British isles does that mean an English identity might emerge a century earlier than OTL.

So there will be now Philip II of France or s different version of him is the situation is not reversed I can see the Capations lossing the throne or the Angevin getting a crown for them selfs.

Also with Henry focus on England and the British isles does that mean an English identity might emerge a century earlier than OTL.
OTL Philip of France will NOT exist as his parents will NOT marry here

OTL Philip of France will NOT exist as his parents will NOT marry here
True so I take it you are going for a totally different history and will not be creating similar events.

But I take it there will be a king of France after Louis Vii which could be capable or uncapable.

I severely doubt Henry gets the throne so easily. Matilda had a hard enough time even being the daughter of the king, who unsuccessfully enjoined his vassals multiple times to declare faith in her succession. A baby grandson, two years old, has less of a chance. The Normans have ruled England only seventy years, and without a clear precedence of succession the options are more open. Here I think if all goes similarly as OTL Stephen de Blois will certainly be king, and if his son doesn't die he will probably succeed him.

I severely doubt Henry gets the throne so easily. Matilda had a hard enough time even being the daughter of the king, who unsuccessfully enjoined his vassals multiple times to declare faith in her succession. A baby grandson, two years old, has less of a chance. The Normans have ruled England only seventy years, and without a clear precedence of succession the options are more open. Here I think if all goes similarly as OTL Stephen de Blois will certainly be king, and if his son doesn't die he will probably succeed him.
The Norman lord my believe the same with what happened when 9 years old Henry iii came to the English throne they are better off with a child king.

The Norman lord my believe the same with what happened when 9 years old Henry iii came to the English throne they are better off with a child king.
That's a hundred years later with a clearer precedence and no contenders. Henry III was also halfway through childhood whereas this Henry is still an infant and has a decent chance of dying in the next few years and plunging the realm into anarchy anyway.

That's a hundred years later with a clearer precedence and no contenders. Henry III was also halfway through childhood whereas this Henry is still an infant and has a decent chance of dying in the next few years and plunging the realm into anarchy anyway.
Well there could be s chance Robert earl of Cornwall could be king then or made regent by Henry I of England.

Well there could be s chance Robert earl of Cornwall could be king then or made regent by Henry I of England.
Do you maybe mean Robert of Gloucester? I think he stands a fair chance of becoming king or regent. Nevertheless I think Stephen was more popular in general, and especially with the church. His brother Henry is also bishop of Winchester. You're right, the consideration of Henry I will weigh heavily here as far as how smoothly the succession goes.

P
Matilda lost her crown ONLY BECAUSE Geoffrey was unpopular (if not worse) with the barons, who do not wanted being ruled by him (who would be King jure-uxoris and the true ruler). Henry instead is a child, who is in England and was named (and sweared) heir. Stephen here has no reason for renege his promises and will content himself with the regency (and making his own daughter as Queen)

Do you maybe mean Robert of Gloucester? I think he stands a fair chance of becoming king or regent. Nevertheless I think Stephen was more popular in general, and especially with the church. His brother Henry is also bishop of Winchester. You're right, the consideration of Henry I will weigh heavily here as far as how smoothly the succession goes.
Robert will be likely one of the reason for which Stephen will not try anything (together with him not wanting betray his late uncle’s trust) and most likely the second man in power in the kingdom after Stephen

Matilda lost her crown ONLY BECAUSE Geoffrey was unpopular (if not worse) with the barons, who do not wanted being ruled by him (who would be King jure-uxoris and the true ruler). Henry instead is a child, who is in England and was named (and sweared) heir. Stephen here has no reason for renege his promises and will content himself with the regency (and making his own daughter as Queen)

Robert will be likely one of the reason for which Stephen will not try anything (together with him not wanting betray his late uncle’s trust) and most likely the second man in power in the kingdom after Stephen
I agree mostly, but I am somewhat skeptical about his daughter becoming queen.

Last edited:
I agree mostly, but I am somewhat sceptical about his daughter becoming queen.
Well that will NOT be a political match but a love one as Stephen will play well his cards, keeping his daughter (a very pretty girl of the same age of Henry) often around the young King. And the truth is who Matilda of Boulogne is not a bad match, considering the lack of alternatives as France and Scotland have nobody around the right age for him, Anjou and Aquitaine are ruled by his father and stepmother and other matches (with much younger girls) are taken by his half-brothers.