What if Mary Stewart, Queen of Scotland was captured by the English ahead of her departure for France and so raised in England and married to Edward VI?
And if Edward VI still died young, but left children (including a son) who would prevent the succession of the OTL Mary I? Mary Stewart, here Queen of Scotland and Dowager Queen of England, Elizabeth Tudor and lady Jane Grey were all smart women so what would happen if somewhere they would end forming an alliance, a sort of triumvirate and ruled together England until the majority of Mary and Edward’s son?

Trees - The Tudors
Henry VIII, King of England (1491-1547) married a) Catherine of Aragon (1485–1536) in 1509 annulled 1533, b) Anne Boleyn (c.1501–1536) in 1533 c) Jane Seymour (c.1508-1537) in 1536 d) Anne of Cleves (c.1515–1557) in 1540 annulled 1540 e) Catherine Howard (c.1523–1542) in 1540 f) Catherine Parr (1512-1548) in 1543
  1. a) stillborn daughter (1510)
  2. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (1511-1511)
  3. a) stillborn son (1513)
  4. a) stillborn son (1515)
  5. a) Mary Tudor (1516-1557)
  6. a) miscarried daughter (1518)
  7. b) Elizabeth (b. 1533) married Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (b. 1532) in 1549 with issues
  8. b) miscarried son (1534)
  9. b) miscarried son (1536)
  10. c) Edward VI, King of England (1537-1560) married Mary Stewart, Queen of Scotland (b. 1542) in 1556
    1. Henry IX, King of England and Scotland (b. 1558)
    2. Margaret of Albion (b. 1559)
    3. Jane of Albion (b. 1560), twin of Elizabeth
    4. Elizabeth of Albion (b. 1560), twin of Jane

Trees for the lines of Henry VII’s daughters Margaret and Mary Tudor will likely arrive soon

Mary Stewart, here Queen of Scotland and Dowager Queen of England, Elizabeth Tudor and lady Jane Grey were all smart women so what would happen if somewhere they would end forming an alliance, a sort of triumvirate and ruled together England until the majority of Mary and Edward’s son?
I would love to see this. Mary Steward raised in England would undoubtedly be a Protestant, and so her, Elizabeth, and Jane would be a very interesting trio. Especially with Mary Tudor out and about.

I would love to see this. Mary Steward raised in England would undoubtedly be a Protestant, and so her, Elizabeth, and Jane would be a very interesting trio. Especially with Mary Tudor out and about.
Oh, Mary Tudor can do exactly nothing as she has four people ahead of her in the line of succession.
Mary, Elizabeth and Jane are without doubt an interesting trio... I fear what they can do together

Mary Tudor can do exactly nothing as she has four people ahead of her in the line of succession.
I could still see her trying though.
Mary, Elizabeth and Jane are without doubt an interesting trio... I fear what they can do together
So, reading this my first thought was Elizabeth takes a look at Mary Stewart’s life and thinks she might like to be a widow. It would allow her to dodge having a husband for any length of time, but give her kids and maybe a title.

why albion?
Because is the ancient name of Great Britain and a good name for calling the union (I use always it for an ATL union between England and Scotland, but I am far from being the only user to do that).

How? Edward left legitimate heirs here so she is far away from the crown (and without any kind of foreign support)
So, reading this my first thought was Elizabeth takes a look at Mary Stewart’s life and thinks she might like to be a widow. It would allow her to dodge having a husband for any length of time, but give her kids and maybe a title.
She is already married to Robert Dudley here and she is happy because a) they are in love and b) he is smart enough to know who Bess is the boss

Last edited:
Mary never tried anything (unless you count hearing mass) while Edward was alive and I doubt she'll do something against his children. Plus if she dies at the same time as OTL she won't even be around to attempt an usurpation.

Mary never tried anything (unless you count hearing mass) while Edward was alive and I doubt she'll do something against his children. Plus if she dies at the same time as OTL she won't even be around to attempt an usurpation.
True, and looking at the trees she died a year earlier than OTL and three years before Edward so…

It would not be a crumpet power was lead and controlled by men Edward Vi of England was no feminist. If it a son he or she would most likely be a few months old at best in an ideal World Mary Queen of Scots would be made queen of England due to her son being King but the succession doesn't work like that.

It would not be a crumpet power was lead and controlled by men Edward Vi of England was no feminist. If it a son he or she would most likely be a few months old at best in an ideal World Mary Queen of Scots would be made queen of England due to her son being King but the succession doesn't work like that.
Mary would be regent for her son or better Elizabeth would be the one to take power, helped by Jane as Mary is currently pregnant and out of the contention

Last edited:
On the triumvirate
“The great age of England surely started when the country was united with Scotland thanks to the 1556 wedding between Edward VI of England and Mary I of Scotland. The death of the King in 1560, who left the country to his 2 years old son Henry IX was rather unfortunate but Dowager Queen Mary together with Edward VI’s half-sister Elizabeth, Countess of Leicester and their cousin Jane, Marchioness of Dorset demonstrated to be together a force too great to be submitted by any man (including Elizabeth and Jane’s own father-in-law and their husbands) and that female triumvirate ruled England in name of the young King for the next 12 years…”

From “The history of the Tudor women”

Missing the threadmark.

I am very excited to see who Jane and Elizabeth marry.
Elizabeth’s wedding to Robert Dudley is present in the trees (and is confirmed). Jane also is already married and the quote imply strongly who she had married as OTL (but that can be changed with either of her OTL brothers-in-law as replacement. Katherine also will marry one of her OTL husbands and the one between them and Guildford who do not marry a Grey will be married to Margaret Clifford)

I love it. mary is a fascinating figure to me and i think it will be interesting to see how she handles not only being queen regnant of scotland but also surely regent of england in the name of her young son. (or perhaps not regent? i wonder if leicester might not be named lord protector...)

I love it. mary is a fascinating figure to me and i think it will be interesting to see how she handles not only being queen regnant of scotland but also surely regent of england in the name of her young son. (or perhaps not regent? i wonder if leicester might not be named lord protector...)
Leicester at this point know very well who is the boss so he will not try to get anything… Main regent role will go to either Mary of Elizabeth