States that don't get balkanized often in Alternate History but could ?

It is a recurring thing to balkanize Germany or Italy after its unification or to make the US explode in alternate history. Are there countries that almost always stay in one piece when there's really room for explosion ?

Historical balkanizations don't count (for instance, if you split Austria-Hungary among ethnic lines, well it happened OTL, but other forms of balkanization for Austria Hungary could count)

I think more partitioning of former Ottoman Empire is possible with a number of pods.

Pontic Greek State and Armenia could get lands there. Same with Kurds and actual Greeks. Constantinople being a international city is also possible

Pontic Greek State and Armenia could get lands there. Same with Kurds and actual Greeks. Constantinople being a international city is also possible

I think that the Pontic Greeks will prefer to be in Greece, no? Also, why Armenia often ends fucked up? Never saw any timelines with a Greater Armenia

Mexico
Imperial Russia
India
Indonesia
South Africa
Iran
United States

Mexico is indeed a great opportunity for balkanization, many possible native states...though the US is normally balkanized in TLs.

Last edited:
I think that the Pontic Greeks will prefer to be in Greece, no? Also, why Armenia often ends fucked up? Never saw any timelines with a Greater Armenia
I was thinking the Russians create a Pontic Greek state under an orthodox monarch who has semi to absolutist power. It would be minority ruled state. Might not be directly connected to Greece even if they take coastal western Anatolia claims. Pontic get more lands along northern coast. Armenia is given inland areas and southern coast lines. The Armenians could have more numbers then Pontic Greeks especially if Russian Empire “encourages” its own to move there

China comes to mind. Albeit, it already is but never mind that.
A good deal of Europe's nations that aren't exception given to Italy/Germany; few people comprehend just how enormous Russia is, and while it is 'empty', there's no reason that it couldn't be two to five more states as an example.
You could split the vast majority of nations larger than the Low Countries in to two or three different nations and it could still make sense.

If you disconnect nation = language group, then you have even more opportunities.

China comes to mind. Albeit, it already is but never mind that.
A good deal of Europe's nations that aren't exception given to Italy/Germany; few people comprehend just how enormous Russia is, and while it is 'empty', there's no reason that it couldn't be two to five more states as an example.
You could split the vast majority of nations larger than the Low Countries in to two or three different nations and it could still make sense.

If you disconnect nation = language group, then you have even more opportunities.
I always thought China not getting partition or more permanently divided up in 2000th century is underused idea. Maybe a different boxer rebellion where they decide to divide it up between main powers(mostly port cities. Russians and Japanese take more direct land). The great powers all agree China easier to handle, exploit, and managed if the rest are divided into multiple countries. Some countries are more shares sphere between multiple or few powers while some are more direct sphere links to one power or other. Maybe even something like a real life legation cities like one in kaiserreich?

Any permanent partition of China requires it not being unified for long stretches of time in its pre-industrial history IMO. The north-south divide being more pronounced etc.

France, Spain, Britain, Russia. All of these are not too difficult given the right POD, and you could have very interesting scenarios here. Alt-Spain could well be formed by Castile, Leon, Aragon, Navarre and a rump Granadian state, for instance. Neustria, Austrasia, Burgundy and Aquitaine (with an independent Brittany for good measure) could evolve as independent entities if you prevent the rise of the Pepinids.

I agree that Britain could be quite easy. Ireland, too. (I mean, it technically already is Balkanized, but it would be easy to do it to a greater degree.) The Philippines are also a possibility.

I'll list some nations I could think of.
  • Brazil. Had multiple occasions where secessionist movements almost succeeded or were at least possible, such as the Ragamuffin War of 1835 or the Cabanagem Revolt some years later. If one could weaken Imperial Brazil, it shouldn't be impossible to let Rio Grande do Sul and the Juliana Republic to secede.
  • France. Seriously, the Big Blue Blob meme should finally vanish. France never effectively really controlled its Occitan territories until the Albigensian Crusade, the Kingdom of Burgundy, Brittany, Provence etc. could have stayed outside the French sphere of influence with the right PoDs. Admittedly, most of these are only feasible with PoDs befire the modern period.
  • England and Ireland. For similar reasons as France.
  • Russia could have avoided unification if upstart Moscow was stopped in its expansions by the Mongols and the Russian tributaries such as Smolensk, Novgorod, Tver and Vladimir.
  • Most nations which were a product of European colonization. See, for example, successful, failed or still active secessionist movements in Africa. Or Indonesia. And some of the historic states of the Near East, specifically Yemen, and South East Asia.

IDK, seems like there's a Republic of Quebec in every America-wank.

On the topic of the thread, the DRC seems to somehow be implosion proof. Aside from a few TLs where Katanga successfully crawls out of the wreckage, it seems like most authors are happy to keep African Spacefilleria around.

Germany or France. I don't think I've seen a timeline where either of them are balkanized. In Germany's case, there is ONE mention of a balkanized Germany in Harry Turtledove's Disunited States of America, but that mention was more used to establish the lore of the world and wasn't focused on very much.

The UK is often Balkanized with Scotland and Northern Ireland broken off. England it happens less to, but with good reason. It has effectively zero natural borders and the agricultural fertility of the South East makes it almost certain whoever controls that part of the country will dominate the rest. Plus it has been a unified central state for centuries with any POD past 1000 AD.