Remember the Rainbow: An Alternate Royal Canadian Navy TL

Photo Gallery #3: HMCS Rainbow

vrp991.png

Crew member of Rainbow taking a photo in Pacific waters, note the hat tally which reads 'RNCVR Pacific', meaning he is a member of the Pacific Division of the Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve.

e-20020045-2812.png

Sailor aboard Rainbow stands besides the aft emergency steering station.

RBW0009.png

Rainbow moored to a buoy in Esquimalt Harbor, British Columbia.

MMBC_P4961_Rainbow_quartermaster_web.png

Quartermaster manning the helm of Rainbow.

MMBC_P4961_Rainbow_coaling_b_web.png

Crew of Rainbow coaling the ship, a very dirty endeavor.

image0.jpg

Crew of Rainbow alongside their unnamed mascot.

image0.jpg

Crew of Rainbow posing for a photo around the aft 6” gun.

image0.jpg

Rainbow in heavy Pacific seas.

image0.jpg

Crew members from Niobe on their way to reinforce the crew of Rainbow, 1914.

image0.jpg

Crew of Rainbow manually turning the capstain to raise the ships anchor, supervised by Commander Hose who can be seen looking aft.

image0.jpg

Dinner preparation aboard Rainbow.

image0.jpg

Crew of Rainbow lounging on deck.

image0.jpg

Nap time for crew members of every size.

image0.jpg

Two of Rainbows dogs having a snooze on the deck.

image0.jpg

Crew members of Rainbow having a little drink on shore leave.

image0.jpg

Two of Rainbows mascots having a little rough play.

Last edited:
Some very nice detail in these pix. In the Crew of Rainbow lounging on deck photo I don't see how they can swing out that 4.7" gun. The rigging looks like it is in the way. Unless they have to take it down when clearing for action. This same photo also shows well how the 12 pdr, which the standing sailor is leaning against, has no gun shield.

The Military Museum at CFB Naden in Esquimalt has a model of the Rainbow that is at least 6' long, maybe longer. Super detailed. It really helped me visualize the ship. Although I cannot find the beam torpedo tubes. In 1914 the bow and stern torpedo tubes were blanked off, but the ship still had an operable tube on each side that was trainable through 90 degrees, near the after bridge. My only thought is that they are below deck and launching through a hatch in the side.

Rainbow Bow Small.jpg

Rainbow Model at CFB Naden Museum

Rainbow aft bridge.jpg

Rainbow aft bridge. Note hatch on side of hull to left of anchor. Could that be a torpedo tube?

Some very nice detail in these pix. In the Crew of Rainbow lounging on deck photo I don't see how they can swing out that 4.7" gun. The rigging looks like it is in the way. Unless they have to take it down when clearing for action. This same photo also shows well how the 12 pdr, which the standing sailor is leaning against, has no gun shield.

The Military Museum at CFB Naden in Esquimalt has a model of the Rainbow that is at least 6' long, maybe longer. Super detailed. It really helped me visualize the ship. Although I cannot find the beam torpedo tubes. In 1914 the bow and stern torpedo tubes were blanked off, but the ship still had an operable tube on each side that was trainable through 90 degrees, near the after bridge. My only thought is that they are below deck and launching through a hatch in the side.

View attachment 471296
Rainbow Model at CFB Naden Museum

View attachment 471297
Rainbow aft bridge. Note hatch on side of hull to left of anchor. Could that be a torpedo tube?

Yes that hatch is the torpedo tube, you can see the similar construction in the photo I’ve attached of HMS Hood’s above water tubes. I would imagine that the rigging would obviously be cleared away during combat to allow better firing angles for the secondary battery.

image0.jpg

what did you do raid the Royal Canadian Naval Archive to get these pictures?

As much as I’d like the opportunity, sadly I’m not guilty of such a thing hahaha. There’s a lot of very good information and photos on the internet, you just need to know where to look ;)

Lusitania

Donor
As much as I’d like the opportunity, sadly I’m not guilty of such a thing hahaha. There’s a lot of very good information and photos on the internet, you just need to know where to look ;)
Or have someone on the inside who can post it on the “internet”. Anyway great pictures

Hello everybody, it's been basically half a year with nothing to be heard from this timeline so I thought it would be fair to come out with my current situation and state my plans and thoughts on how to move this timeline forward.

I'd first like to apologize for not being completely transparent. The main reason for the sizable hiatus from the timeline has mainly been the rather unfortunately timed original publishing of this timeline a few days after The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline by @YYJ. While our writing styles did differ a fair bit, two timelines covering what amounted to the same events was rather confusing. This is partially my own fault for posting a timeline prompt back in 2018 which went nowhere with the idea but also was not helped by the rather breakneck pace of my timeline, which I've noticed in reflection. In the end as YYJ stated his timeline would not likely run past September 1914, the fact that my timeline is planned to go to the modern day and my own enjoyment of their story, I decided to halt my own timeline to let YYJ continue with minimal interference. This "bit" of time has allowed me to rethink some of my road map decisions and tweak it accordingly however, lately I've began feeling more and more that I would like to continue my timeline.

In order to not conflict with YYJ's story, I've considered completely restarting this timeline from an earlier date. Based on a fairly large amount of new source material I have acquired, I feel that more properly explaining the factors and previous events leading up to the formation of the Royal Canadian Navy would be very beneficial to the timeline. I've also noticed that I missed some important facts and information that could fill out my earlier chapters alongside using this restart to fix some minor issues in the timeline that I have noticed upon rereading. The timeline will still be mostly the same however, as I inadvertently inspired YYJ, they have in turn inspired me to try and weave some more "boots on the ground" perspectives into my story alongside the more overarching style of writing I have used previously alongside taking the story a bit slower pacing wise. As a whole, I am hoping that this rewrite would both allow me to flush out the story with new information and would give YYJ plenty of breathing room to advance their timeline to such a point where the topical issues will be largely non-existent.

I would like to hear the thoughts of the community and small number of people who had previously been keeping up with the story if possible, any feedback or potential ideas you have to work into the story? I'm all ears and appreciate any critical feedback that can be given. This potential timeline restart is likely to happen within the next week or two if it is going to occur, so nothing immediate is coming. I would like to thank YYJ for the understanding, accommodation and inspiration they've provided me with over the length of both of our stories run time, I hope you keep up the great work and keep working on your timeline. To anybody who has been waiting patiently all this time, I hope to get back to working on this idea in the near future.

Here's a photo of HMCS Rainbow alongside HMS New Zealand on her visit to British Columbia in 1913 to wrap this all up ;)

hmcsrainbowandhmsnewzealand.jpg

Last edited:
In response to your request for input, I would describe the form of your story so far as a heavily illustrated history book. This works well to establish the authority of the story. What you have written to date is all actual history. Once you pass your POD and get into the alternate part, you keep the plausibility of events by continuing in the same tone, "as if" it is actual history.

I have read some popular histories where the hard non-fiction writing is interspersed with "vignettes," scenes of creative non fiction where you are right there: what you refer to as "boots on the ground." In addition to giving a different perspective, it makes the reading experience nice by playing with the pacing.

It all sounds good. Looking forward to it.

In response to your request for input, I would describe the form of your story so far as a heavily illustrated history book. This works well to establish the authority of the story. What you have written to date is all actual history. Once you pass your POD and get into the alternate part, you keep the plausibility of events by continuing in the same tone, "as if" it is actual history.

I have read some popular histories where the hard non-fiction writing is interspersed with "vignettes," scenes of creative non fiction where you are right there: what you refer to as "boots on the ground." In addition to giving a different perspective, it makes the reading experience nice by playing with the pacing.

It all sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Thank you for the feedback, it's much appreciated! The "vignettes" themselves I think also serve as a sort of break for me as the writer as they can be rather loosely researched and justified in comparison to mainline chapters. I think between those and photo galleries, they would indeed help break up the workload on myself and keep the story fresh. Sharing is caring plus I need to justify my hours of digging through obscure online digital archives :coldsweat:.

As of right now, this thread is going to no longer receive updates. If you are interested in the continuation, please look here.