Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I do recall reading somewhere Thant the Mexican government felt Belize should keep the land it has but, if they give in to Hondirsus, Mexico might also claim past claims. Meaning half of what little remains.
I thought it was all of what remains, as Mexico claimed Belize/British Honduras north of the Sibun River until 1893 and Guatemala claims Belize/British Honduras south of the Sibun River.

I thought it was all of what remains, as Mexico claimed Belize/British Honduras north of the Sibun River until 1893 and Guatemala claims Belize/British Honduras south of the Sibun River.
Yeah, that was just a border proposal which, if accepted, the Mexican government would have given up their claims in the rest of British honduras

From Wikipedia:
A victory for bad penmanship.

Did they claim all of it to the north? The map examples show a straight line border, which would still take almost half the remaining land,

Last edited:
Maybe "Arizuma" was the result of a cross between Arizona and Montezuma? I know Montezuma was the proposed name for a state encompassing the entire New Mexico Territory, which at the time still included Arizona, southern Nevada, and southeastern Colorado, yet the Gadsden purchase hadn't yet happened, so modern Arizona south of the Gila River wouldn't have been part of Montezuma

Last edited:
Assuming that the dots are populated areas, it's a bit unusual to put a border through a population centre.
“Population center” would be somewhat less back then. Given the curving the proposed border shows whenever there is a population on both sides of the line, I assume it is partially going by a river boundary at some point, or splitting the communities as best it can without actually slicing specific ones in two. Odd that Nevada, according to this, was apparently claiming parts of California, despite it already being a state.