They'll learn what everyone who worked with Zapata learned - the idiot is a stubborn cuss who lacks the strategic sense of a lemming (even if his tactical sense is really good. He'd rock at RTS games... less so at a Paradox Grand Strategy game 🤣 )

Random idea: If the Germans get involved in the war against Hungary, perhaps we could see a Zeppelin fly over Budapest, but not drop anything, as if to say "surrender now, or next time we won't be so kind"
"People of Hungary, do not interfere. Our intentions are peaceful. We are the Brotherhood of Germany"

Speaking of Zeppelin's, i would imagine that without Versailles outrite banning them in Germany, both military and civilian, it's likely we'll see further development of the technology.
In the Army (and later Luftwaffe, assuming it still forms) They'll likely be phased out as planes get faster, and carry heavier loads, while i could see them lasting longer in the Navy in the long-range scout role, especially if the Germans take the aerial carrier approach. Though with the incendiary bullet still being a major threat, Germany will want to get close to the USA with all of that sweet sweet helium (best case scenario, Germany goes the the dual-cell idea proposed for the Hindenburg)
Development elsewhere is a tossup, depending on if the countries developing their own ships are able to get enough experience to avoid too many a disaster

That too. Assuming Germany isn't hit too hard economically we could perhaps see a ship like this by the mid-20's
Vickpassplan1.gif

Speaking of Zeppelin's, i would imagine that without Versailles outrite banning them in Germany, both military and civilian, it's likely we'll see further development of the technology.
In the Army (and later Luftwaffe, assuming it still forms) They'll likely be phased out as planes get faster, and carry heavier loads, while i could see them lasting longer in the Navy in the long-range scout role, especially if the Germans take the aerial carrier approach. Though with the incendiary bullet still being a major threat, Germany will want to get close to the USA with all of that sweet sweet helium (best case scenario, Germany goes the the dual-cell idea proposed for the Hindenburg)
Development elsewhere is a tossup, depending on if the countries developing their own ships are able to get enough experience to avoid too many a disaster

Even with them becoming obsolete against aeroplanes they will still be useful in the colonies to intimidate the locals.

Alright, so the first Zeppelin to be shot down with the incendiary bullet was on September 2nd, so the German's will still know that their ships are now vulnerable ITTL

Alright, so the first Zeppelin to be shot down with the incendiary bullet was on September 2nd, so the German's will still know that their ships are now vulnerable ITTL

That's a no, because Britain sought an armistice with Germany in June 1916. France had already bowed out by then, reaching an armistice with Germany in May 1916, following the disasters at Verdun, Grenoble, and Amiens.

Oh my god, Mexico is going to be the Korea of this TL isn't it? North Mexico invading South Mexico, a proxy war between the US and Germany.

Unlikely, from the sound of things, Germany and the USA never come to blows, if past mentions of how 20th Century historians always wonder on the unanswered question of who would win between the US Marine Corps and the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps.

Very nice chapter! I liked it a lot.
The question of how a backwards country such as Carranza’s Mexico had gotten its hands on such weaponry was of course on many minds in October 1917, but as it wasn’t relevant to the military aspects facing Pershing it shall be ignored for now. (1)
Please, guess as you see fit! And we will return to this subject…
Hmm...
Carranza lived in fear of a coup, or of the news that the Americans had burst out of the Veracruz perimeter. Yet, the news which would topple his government came not from any of these things, but from the sinking of a Peruvian-flagged merchant ship off the Sinaloan coast...
Maybe both things are related, and someone is using Peruvian-flagged ships to deliver weapons to Mexico? But then, why would such an event cause the fall of Carranza's government?

Hungary should have controlled it's troops better. This is going to cost them.

If Germany and Russia fight again, would it be possible to do what the Russians did to Germany after WW2? Germany could increase it's eastern territory by a huge margine while carving out a new polish state as large as the original state out of Russia.

NoMommsen

Donor
Chapter Nineteen- Mexico Resists
United States Marines landed at Tampico that same day. The entire Marine Corps- some 10,000 men- had been sent to New Orleans the day before war broke out, and was in barracks on standby when Carranza declared war. Two days later, on 13 August, three thousand men landed at the Mexican port town. Their goal was less Tampico per se than the oilfields surrounding town. The Marines liked to boast that they were the toughest soldiers in the world, and that not even Kaiser Wilhelm’s Sturmtruppenkorps could beat them. We shall never know whether or not that is true, but the second-rate defenders of a sleepy Mexican fishing town certainly weren’t up to the job. The Marines took the town within two hours, losing only four men and establishing an unofficial new slogan- “from Tripoli to Tampico!” (1) From there, they fanned out along the coast of Tamaulipas province, after the black gold under the surface. A handful of Texas National Guard cavalry assisted them, and within a week the oilfields of the province lay under the Stars and Stripes. However, the Mexicans, having expected something like this, had taken the precaution of sabotaging the fields, blowing up equipment, dispersing workers, and making themselves scarce. Not until after the war would the Americans get any value from the fields. In the meantime, 3000 US Marines were left on garrison duty on the east coast of Mexico. Using such prime fighting troops for garrison duty was about as efficient as sending a battleship out to catch fish for the Navy cooks. They would later be replaced with Texas National Guardsmen, but the inefficiency would cost the United States in the short term.

The Marines had wasted their time, and men who could’ve made a valuable contribution to the fighting in Veracruz were stuck hundreds of miles north.

The Battle of Veracruz had been long and bloody. ...
Interesting how badly known around this forum (last time mentioned as the second mentioning in 2013 and one time prior to in 2011 in one thread) is some person on this forum who actually controll the region and "Hinterland" of Tampico including the oil wells and oil workers and oil companies there.
The man was General Manuel Peláez :
Gen. Manuel Peláez.jpg

He was in control of the Tampico surrounding region of Huasteca at least since the US 'cleared' off Veracruz in 1914.
He entertained a well payed and therefore well equipped and - more important - very loyal and rather obedient force of about 3000 men controlling the infrastructure of the region ... and the oil fields, controlling the few Carranzista forces there IOTL - aka defeating them regularly on occasion they left their garrisons or even looting them.
His area of control advantegously corresponded with the important Tampico and Misantla oilfields :
rebel factions1916-1920.svg.jpg
mexican oilfields.png

With his forces he was able to ... "extract" some commision from the oil companies there - mainly the Pearson group in charge of much if not most of the british oil consumption.
He withstood several fruitless attempts of Carranza to ... gain control over him but failed. In the end it were men of Peláez who actually killed Carranza in 1920.

Therefore I would assume the 3000 Marines put in charge of gaining control over Tampico and the oil fields ITTL would have a ... rather much more 'difficult' task and time against the same number of well eqipped locals knowing the djungle around as well as the infrasstucture there and there - IMHO - wont be such an 'easy' march towards VerCRUZ as depicted ITTL.

Oh, and as a side note :
Because of this man I regard Carranza's 'threat' against the US IOTL to fire up all oil-fields there as a ... bluff tbh.

Last edited:
Dear readers,
I've put up 2300 or so words about the Second French Revolution in my test thread... I'd appreciate it if you checked them out and told me what you think.... I'm a little uncertain as to the plausibility of what I've described and would very much appreciate your input.
"The Revolution Will Not Be Done Properly"

Thanks very much
-Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth

Question about Karl and the Viennese Miracles: they were both recognized soon after the fighting ends, right? And are both attributed to the Emperor? Because if yes, then Karl would be eligible for beatification, as he'd have two miracles attributed to him.