Do you approve or disapprove of the way that Douglas MacArthur is handling his job as president?

• Approve

Votes: 129 78.2%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 36 21.8%

• Total voters
>Mao is gone
>Germany is reunified
>Taft Hartley being slowly phased out
>Korea is unified
>Nixon is being Tricky but in a good way
>Hoover VS Willoughby is in the making

Oh yeah, it's MacArthur time.

Any chance to see a map of the world as of 1954? Curious to see some border changes here.

Funny thing I remember how the 1954 World Cup will see a reunified German team then it also occurred to me that it will also see a unified Korea team in which OTL saw South Korea make their debut there. :)

Wow Mao being gone and no Cultural Revolution and Korea being unified are certainly a LOT of butterflies 😆 I can imagine MacArthur milking this for all its worth especially during the midterms. Can't wait for the next part. Brilliant job mate well done keep it up :)

China did invade historically after the US left and got their asses kicked.
Vietnam holds the distinction (together with Afghanistan IIRC) of defeating a majority of the P5 members of the UNSC IOTL. It's an impressive record.

Loving the TL, and it's interesting to see the world nudged slightly into a more "positive" trajectory than OTL. It's not a utopia or anything of the sort, but a couple of nasty chapters of history are cut short.

@BiteNibbleChomp, could I ask you a question about Argentina ITTL, or is that a bit too niche and outside the scope of what you're working on?

BiteNibbleChomp

Gone Fishin'
Oh? What plans does Old Mac have now?
Eight chapters' worth :)

>Hoover VS Willoughby is in the making
That's next.

Any chance to see a map of the world as of 1954? Curious to see some border changes here.
Take OTL 1954, unify Korea, Vietnam and Germany, and you're there. And Iran's communist if you wanted to somehow show that on a map as well.
I don't really see the point in it, but if someone wants to make a map of it, be my guest.

Who knows maybe China will try to invade Vietnam and US troops will go in to fight for Vietnamese freedom after all.
Hmmm... :confused: Not so sure China would be keen on rushing head-first into Vietnam right after being threatened with nukes by Mac. Would certainly make for a strange turn of events!

Wow Mao being gone and no Cultural Revolution and Korea being unified are certainly a LOT of butterflies 😆 I can imagine MacArthur milking this for all its worth especially during the midterms. Can't wait for the next part. Brilliant job mate well done keep it up :)
Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying it :)

Vietnam holds the distinction (together with Afghanistan IIRC) of defeating a majority of the P5 members of the UNSC IOTL. It's an impressive record.

Loving the TL, and it's interesting to see the world nudged slightly into a more "positive" trajectory than OTL. It's not a utopia or anything of the sort, but a couple of nasty chapters of history are cut short.

@BiteNibbleChomp, could I ask you a question about Argentina ITTL, or is that a bit too niche and outside the scope of what you're working on?
You're more than welcome to ask! Unfortunately I'm not very well versed on South American history (basically watched a couple videos on 1982 Falklands and the Paraguayan War in the 1860s, and that's about it), but I'll do my best.

- BNC

And see a stronger China much earlier on.
Maybe not, with a chance of Lin Biao (and his Wife) running things.
He would do a 'lite' version of the CR, as some of the other of the 'Ten Marshal'

Even Worse for China, a huge power struggle going to Civil War between them

Mao was terrible.
But not the worst possible outcome for China

, could I ask you a question about Argentina ITTL, or is that a bit too niche and outside the scope of what you're working on?
@minifidel If you allow me to invert the question...
Then, perhaps and given the TTL US president very different strategic priorities and approach to LA and assuming that the whole OTL Interamerican system and the bilateral relationship would very well be butterflied.
So, don't you think that perhaps would be better to explore the opposite extreme: What would be Peron's attitude and official relationship with MacArthur and/or if an absent American presence, at Inter-American level could change the OTL Argentinian-American foreign relationship...
Cause, it could affect IOTL American reaction to the future (OTL) anti Peronist military uprising, the so called 'Revolution Libertadora' and the American reaction to it..

Last edited:
Ho Chi Minh was pretty pro-American originally. It’s not possible that he becomes a relative ally of MacArthur in Southeast Asia?
It’s possible but it wouldn’t come without conditions. If Vietnam opens up a bit (think more of what they are now with more of a state capitalist system) and are willing to align with US interests of not spreading communism/containing China, then it’s possible.

To give insight into the temperament from my personal experience, I have several Vietnamese friends and they and their families have no love whatsoever for China and the CCP; literally, “F*#% China! Imperialist assholes keep invading Vietnam.” They’re cool with Chinese people themselves though so long as you don’t bring up politics or history. :p

@minifidel If you allow me to invert the question...
Then, perhaps and given the TTL US president very different strategic priorities and approach to LA and assuming that the whole OTL Interamerican system and the bilateral relationship would very well be butterflied.
So, don't you think that perhaps would be better to explore the opposite extreme: What would be Peron's attitude and official relationship with MacArthur and/or if an absent American presence, at Inter-American level could change the OTL Argentinian-American foreign relationship...
Cause, it could affect IOTL American reaction to the future (OTL) anti Peronist military uprising, the so called 'Revolution Libertadora' and the American reaction to it..
I think you're right, and the intriguing question for me is what Perón would think of MacArthur. Superficially at least, there's a lot for Perón to like/admire in Mac, and it might even be mutual, as they both appear to be "conservative and paternalistic but sympathetic to labor rights". If the US is taking a slightly more hands-off approach to its anticommunist foreign policy, then there'd be a lot less incentive to stir the pot in a country ruled by an outspoken anticommunist.

If Perón manages to finish his term, who knows, peronism could very well lose in 1957.

I think you're right, and the intriguing question for me is what Perón would think of MacArthur. Superficially at least, there's a lot for Perón to like/admire in Mac, and it might even be mutual, as they both appear to be "conservative and paternalistic but sympathetic to labor rights". If the US is taking a slightly more hands-off approach to its anticommunist foreign policy, then there'd be a lot less incentive to stir the pot in a country ruled by an outspoken anticommunist.
Well, given that the present US administration was proved right in their decision to not intervene in Guatemala nor bring down to Arbenz allowing him to continue his reforms and coupled with the fact that Mac is used to work with authoritarian leaders, when it is necessary, as Syngman Rhee or Chiang... Given that I think that while Peron wouldn't start out of the blue to attack American assets in Argentine thus forcing to Mac to pay attention/focused in South America, then would be probable that both would have a good working relationship and indeed to improve with respect to OTL, their bilateral relations...

BiteNibbleChomp

Gone Fishin'
Ho Chi Minh was pretty pro-American originally. It’s not possible that he becomes a relative ally of MacArthur in Southeast Asia?
:confused: There might be a case to be made here, although I have doubts. For the purposes of the TL, I'll just say 'no' to avoid complicating that area any more than it already is.

If Perón manages to finish his term, who knows, peronism could very well lose in 1957.
Well, given that the present US administration was proved right in their decision to not intervene in Guatemala nor bring down to Arbenz allowing him to continue his reforms and coupled with the fact that Mac is used to work with authoritarian leaders, when it is necessary, as Syngman Rhee or Chiang... Given that I think that while Peron wouldn't start out of the blue to attack American assets in Argentine thus forcing to Mac to pay attention/focused in South America, then would be probable that both would have a good working relationship and indeed to improve with respect to OTL, their bilateral relations...
I'd have to agree with @Xenophonte on this... Peron would be pretty low on Mac's list of priorities but I can easily imagine the two of them getting along - certainly can't see Mac supporting the coup against him. As for whether the coup happens at all... I'm given to understand it was a mostly homegrown movement?

- BNC