Other places the Mormon's could've gone

Exactly as the title says, what are some other places following the Mormon expulsion from Nauvoo Illinois in 1846 that the Mormon's could've gone to and settled as the center of their faith.

Most likely locations outside the Great Basin is California, Oregon, Texas, and Central America. Hawaii and the South Pacific, as well as Canada are also possibilities. Anywhere in the Americas is possible, however the faiths center on the Americas grounds it in the Americas and South Pacific.

There's something intriguing to me about a Mormon state in Baja California (Norte) and a filibuster state in Baja California Sur.

It would have to be somewhere not being used by indigenous people. The Mormons didn't believe in stealing land from natives.

They chose Salt Lake City because it was empty and the Utes told them "there's a reason for that".

Have to be some real different interactions between historical figures,but anyway they end up in Alaska,pre civil war,and somehow get a charter from the Tsar?Obviously the Romanovs will want money also.

Not to plug the unfinished timeline in my signature too much, but I think with a few tweaks they could also have headed north into the Canadian West.

Not to plug the unfinished timeline in my signature too much, but I think with a few tweaks they could also have headed north into the Canadian West.

I like the idea but I just can't see it happening prior to 1870 unless they fight a war with the Blackfoot or Plains Cree. The Blackfoot chased off everyone who came onto their turf, and even the fur traders pulled stakes when the Blackfoot told them to leave. Even ravaged by Smallpox with half of their civilization dead they fought a huge battle against the Cree for supremacy over the Cypress Hills at the Battle of Belly Creek.

Why would the British want them there?

I'm not sure they'd have a reason to turn them away either. Once the convict phase of colonization was done, the British authorities in the Colonial Office didn't have a particular reason to turn their nose up at potential settlers.

I like the idea but I just can't see it happening prior to 1870 unless they fight a war with the Blackfoot or Plains Cree. The Blackfoot chased off everyone who came onto their turf, and even the fur traders pulled stakes when the Blackfoot told them to leave. Even ravaged by Smallpox with half of their civilization dead they fought a huge battle against the Cree for supremacy over the Cypress Hills at the Battle of Belly Creek.

Is it possible they could forge an alliance with the Cree and their presence could tip the balance?

I'm not sure they'd have a reason to turn them away either. Once the convict phase of colonization was done, the British authorities in the Colonial Office didn't have a particular reason to turn their nose up at potential settlers.
They were not worried about potentially losing the colony?

They were not worried about potentially losing the colony?

To a bunch of religious settlers paying to come and colonize the place? In the late 1800s the biggest worry the Colonial Office had in Australia was that they'd have to pay for the overall administration because the various colonial governments in what would become Australia tended to hate each other, with South Australia looking on everyone else as the descendants of criminal scum and the Tasmania, New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland sincerely disliking them and each other, and outside the gold fields having a hell of a time getting anything done. In 1850 the population was maybe 400,000, by 1860 the population of all the colonies put together was over 1 million, I don't know how the Mormons who numbered, what, 10,000 in the 1850s would cause that much of a problem?

To a bunch of religious settlers paying to come and colonize the place? In the late 1800s the biggest worry the Colonial Office had in Australia was that they'd have to pay for the overall administration because the various colonial governments in what would become Australia tended to hate each other, with South Australia looking on everyone else as the descendants of criminal scum and the Tasmania, New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland sincerely disliking them and each other, and outside the gold fields having a hell of a time getting anything done. In 1850 the population was maybe 400,000, by 1860 the population of all the colonies put together was over 1 million, I don't know how the Mormons who numbered, what, 10,000 in the 1850s would cause that much of a problem?
Polygamists have the potential for exploding population growth....When was South Australia established? If the Mormons did end up in Australia, that seems like the right place for them....