Ocean of Storms: A Timeline of A Scientific America

Good to hear, though the New Glenn first stage is taller and wider than the Falcon which was a concern. Locking it down in any kind of rough see it going to be tricky.
Leg span is similar, and center of gravity is similarly pretty low, though. Something like 9-10m leg span for New Glenn, and the SpaceX barges are about 45-50m across and 80m long. Locking it down in rough seas is tricky, but solvable, probably capable of adapting plenty of the techniques we've seen SpaceX use, like weighted robotic "grabbers", welded shoes to hold it down to the deck, etc.

Leg span is similar, and center of gravity is similarly pretty low, though. Something like 9-10m leg span for New Glenn, and the SpaceX barges are about 45-50m across and 80m long. Locking it down in rough seas is tricky, but solvable, probably capable of adapting plenty of the techniques we've seen SpaceX use, like weighted robotic "grabbers", welded shoes to hold it down to the deck, etc.

Uhm sure of those numbers? 9-10m on a 7m hull is pretty narrow actually?

And lets hope they jazz it up a bit I mean why be boring? Giant flypaper strips, super-glue spreaders, huge electromagnet under the deck and steel plates on the landing legs... A giant catchers mitt maybe ;)

Randy

Uhm sure of those numbers? 9-10m on a 7m hull is pretty narrow actually?
I went and measured the image off Blue's site, and the leg span is more like 14m than 10, but still small relative to a 15m landing deck assuming enough accuracy. It should get more stability from the same span than Falcon does thanks to six legs rather than four, so higher tip-over angle for the same leg length, at the expense of the weight of two more legs.

I love Ocean of Storms--looking forweard to more. I do wonder...has anyone done a timeline (other than me) of a decent sized meteor impact (1-2 mile diameter crater, serious effects locally, but no global disaster) kicking practical space research and asteroid deflection into high gear? That seems like the sort of program that could result in a go anywhere capability.
(Note: Deciding in June of 1876 (sic) that there's a need to Do Something about asteroids after having a 2 mile hole blown into the White Mountains is easy--but starting to do it in 1876 is NOT!)

I love Ocean of Storms--looking forweard to more. I do wonder...has anyone done a timeline (other than me) of a decent sized meteor impact (1-2 mile diameter crater, serious effects locally, but no global disaster) kicking practical space research and asteroid deflection into high gear? That seems like the sort of program that could result in a go anywhere capability.
(Note: Deciding in June of 1876 (sic) that there's a need to Do Something about asteroids after having a 2 mile hole blown into the White Mountains is easy--but starting to do it in 1876 is NOT!)
I kind of want to do something based on this book:
but moving the impact point from off the East Coast to the South Pacific,so something like an eighties version of Twilight’s Last Gleaming. Maybe calling it After the Fall.

It doesn't quite fit your description, but if you haven't, check out The Calculating Stars. It's the first of a series. I've read the first two and found them to be very much worth the trouble.

The premise is similar to what you describe, and, like Ocean of Storms, it puts a very human perspective on large events.

There's The Loud Blast That Tears The Skies for the first part, at least there: https://www.sealionpress.co.uk/product-page/the-loud-blast-that-tears-the-skies

First of all, allow me to apologize that this isn't the latest chapter of OoS.

Mostly I wanted to let you know that I'm back to work on the next chapter (tentatively titled "New Toys"). I hope to have it up later this month.

In the meantime, I've just completed the first draft of my Star Wars murder mystery (based on True Detective Season 1). I'm looking for editors to give me some feedback on it and as soon as I've got it in a publishable state, I'll be posting that in another thread on this site.

Just didn't want you all to wonder what had become of me. Ocean of Storms is ongoing and more is on the way.

Mostly I wanted to let you know that I'm back to work on the next chapter (tentatively titled "New Toys"). I hope to have it up later this month.

In the meantime, I've just completed the first draft of my Star Wars murder mystery (based on True Detective Season 1). I'm looking for editors to give me some feedback on it and as soon as I've got it in a publishable state, I'll be posting that in another thread on this site.

Just didn't want you all to wonder what had become of me. Ocean of Storms is ongoing and more is on the way.
Best of luck.

Best of luck--looking forward to it.

First: No need to apologize, this is a free-time project and you have multiple ongoing projects here, so it´s just natural that a) every new chapter can take some time and b) that nobody can demand anything from you. Thank you for informing us :)
Great to hear :) I look forward to it, be it this month or anytime later.

And is it okay to ask something i would like to ask you for a long time now: Are you planning on doing anything more with your "Artemis: The Fra Mauro Job"-Story, or is that project finished from your side? (Again, no demand, i´m just curious)

And is it okay to ask something i would like to ask you for a long time now: Are you planning on doing anything more with your "Artemis: The Fra Mauro Job"-Story, or is that project finished from your side? (Again, no demand, i´m just curious)
Thanks for the question, and for reading.

Honestly, I thought of the Fra Mauro Job as a self-contained story. It's got a fairly tidy beginning, middle, and end. For a guy who has written 700 pages of Ocean of Storms, it's nice to have a completed story without worrying about it again.

Having said that, I love Artemis, by Andy Weir to an admittedly psychotic extent. So, with all that in mind, I'd say that there is a chance that I might write another story set in the world of Artemis, but I doubt it would be with the same protagonist as the Fra Mauro job. I feel like the setting is too good for just one story. It's got a little of everything. Smugglers, corporate titans, corrupt politicians, cutthroats, and they're all in space. If you wanted to make book on me doing more with it down the road, I would not bet against me.

Truly, I'm delighted that it's being asked about. I wasn't entirely sure if anyone really cared about that one.

Thank you so much for the question.

Honestly, I thought of the Fra Mauro Job as a self-contained story. It's got a fairly tidy beginning, middle, and end. For a guy who has written 700 pages of Ocean of Storms, it's nice to have a completed story without worrying about it again.
Oh okay, i felt like there would still be something to tell for that story.
Truly, I'm delighted that it's being asked about. I wasn't entirely sure if anyone really cared about that one.
Oh i care about it, defenitely. I didn´t know what you wrote there when i made my account, but after i read ocean of storms i was so curious about that new project you talked about somewhere in this thread here, that i finally made and account. Just to see what your new project was and i love it. It´s really great. And i guess there would be more feedback if the thread wouldn´t be that old. I made the mistake to resurface a years-old thread once before i knew that the mods don´t like that so much.

And i wanted to ask about it for a really long time, it´s just this: Everytime i come in here with some spare time, i read the new chapters of the stories i am following and then i make some comments regarding to those chapters or other discussions. And while i do that i forget about things like Fra Mauro and other questions for other authors or the community as a whole. This forum is great for reading and great for discussions, but it´s a bunch of really really deep rabbit holes to completely sink into too, and you are defenitely one of the authors who are more then talented enough to be able to create those rabbit holes. The only bad thing is that things like Fra Mauro can get a bit under, despite the fact that it´s written by the same person who presents us Ocean of Storms. But that changes nothing about the fact that it´s a great story and you are defenitely right: Andy Weir´s Artemis has defenitely more Story´s to tell, even without changing the setting even one bit. Same goes for "The Martian" i would love to see a second novel, going into the future. Yes: The setting of the first part can´t be repeated, but i would like to see an older Mark Watney on another Mission to Mars, let´s say 15-20 years later as the commander of a new Base there.

Last edited:

Liked it very much and sorry I didn't say so before :)

Same goes for "The Martian" i would love to see a second novel, going into the future. Yes: The setting of the first part can´t be repeated, but i would like to see an older Mark Watney on another Mission to Mars, let´s say 15-20 years later as the commander of a new Base there.

Going to point out that Mark is NOT going back to Mars and he makes that pretty clear. It tried to kill him once and he's not going to give it a second chance. He's done his part and then some. (Plus it's highly unlikely NASA would ever consider sending him back for similar reasons)

Randy

Going to point out that Mark is NOT going back to Mars and he makes that pretty clear. It tried to kill him once and he's not going to give it a second chance. He's done his part and then some. (Plus it's highly unlikely NASA would ever consider sending him back for similar reasons)
Oh i think things can change. You are right that neither him nor NASA were so eager to see him on the martian surface again, but he still would be a great asset for a future mission, just because he has more surface-time then whole crews of multiplay Ares-flights have combined. Yes Mars tried to kill him, but it didn´t and it still gave him things he needed to survive: Ground-material he was able to make fertile, Gravity, enough atmosphere to shield him from the deadly solar radiation. I really wondere how he things about Mars in a few decades and after he probably helped to train multiple classes of new Astronauts. I am pretty shure that he will get back to space in some way. He did great, he still seemed pretty fine for what happened to him and he has defenitely learned skills that he will love to teach his fellow Astronauts... to ensure that they will be able to survive if anything close to Ares III happens to them.

I really think he could get at least to the moon, just because i think that it would be reasonable to establish a lunar training centre there to prepare a larger number of martian colonists and other deep space travellers for their missions. They could even train to do some really long range Rover-missions in a realistic environment but with the bonus that an evacutation incase of emergencies or if somebody turns out as unfit for a martian surface-mission (I think that could still happen, psychologic pretests are good, but i think that the best test is space itself). I think that would be a great option for Watney: He can transfer everything he know not only in theorie but in praxis and he can still be home in about a week.

Randy
I wholeheartedly agree with this take. Mark Watney had enough Mars for one lifetime. I felt honored to share a retirement with him on Artemis. I like to picture the two of us hanging out and watching the Cubs at Moonshots. I like that so much that I wrote it.

Having said that, I love Artemis, by Andy Weir to an admittedly psychotic extent. So, with all that in mind, I'd say that there is a chance that I might write another story set in the world of Artemis, but I doubt it would be with the same protagonist as the Fra Mauro job. I feel like the setting is too good for just one story. It's got a little of everything. Smugglers, corporate titans, corrupt politicians, cutthroats, and they're all in space. If you wanted to make book on me doing more with it down the road, I would not bet against me.

Unfortunately, I've been having a semi-mild case of writer's block with OoS. Having spent the last couple of months in the dark trenches of the Star Wars galaxy, it's been difficult to transition to the rose-hued hills of Ares Valles.

So, with my brain being the hyperkinetic minefield that it is, I had this earworm of Artemis in my head. And, like all good earworms, this one has started to affect my thinking.

Suffice it to say, I've got a vague concept of another Artemis story on a low-simmering backburner. If it starts to bubble enough to make a go of it, I'll keep you all in the loop.

And since one of my heroes is Sterling Archer, allow me to crowdsource a plan just a bit. I pose the following for a case of open discussion:

Are there other stories in the world of Artemis that you think would be good?

How about films that you'd like to see from the world of Ocean Of Storms?

I had a great time doing my prequel rewrite and I've made vague allusions to films that the denizens of OoS might see in theaters (Batman: Dead End, TMNT vs. Predator, Moonfall, etc.). One that I have been working on is the OoS sequel to Independence Day (a massive case of lost potential in our timeline, to be sure).

My version ID4-2 is called "The Independence" and centers around humanity's first interstellar vessel (built with hybrid alien tech) that is sent out 10 years after the War of '96 to save another world under threat from the locusts.

If any of you have ideas for anything that I've discussed here, I'd be delighted to hear them (and maybe steal a couple).

Fire away!

I wholeheartedly agree with this take. Mark Watney had enough Mars for one lifetime. I felt honored to share a retirement with him on Artemis. I like to picture the two of us hanging out and watching the Cubs at Moonshots. I like that so much that I wrote it.

Unfortunately, I've been having a semi-mild case of writer's block with OoS. Having spent the last couple of months in the dark trenches of the Star Wars galaxy, it's been difficult to transition to the rose-hued hills of Ares Valles.

So, with my brain being the hyperkinetic minefield that it is, I had this earworm of Artemis in my head. And, like all good earworms, this one has started to affect my thinking.

Suffice it to say, I've got a vague concept of another Artemis story on a low-simmering backburner. If it starts to bubble enough to make a go of it, I'll keep you all in the loop.

And since one of my heroes is Sterling Archer, allow me to crowdsource a plan just a bit. I pose the following for a case of open discussion:

Are there other stories in the world of Artemis that you think would be good?

How about films that you'd like to see from the world of Ocean Of Storms?

I had a great time doing my prequel rewrite and I've made vague allusions to films that the denizens of OoS might see in theaters (Batman: Dead End, TMNT vs. Predator, Moonfall, etc.). One that I have been working on is the OoS sequel to Independence Day (a massive case of lost potential in our timeline, to be sure).

My version ID4-2 is called "The Independence" and centers around humanity's first interstellar vessel (built with hybrid alien tech) that is sent out 10 years after the War of '96 to save another world under threat from the locusts.

If any of you have ideas for anything that I've discussed here, I'd be delighted to hear them (and maybe steal a couple).

Fire away!
This world’s version of Apollo 13,which would obviously be a bit different (maybe a miniseries as opposed to a full movie?).