Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

One of the Mardukian personae? almost every major god tend to be the lighthing/thunder one, the nordic is the exception and still is a major one
Pretty much though as a sort of anti-Markuk. Ordered peaceful creation as opposed to the violence of Marduk laying out Tiamat. I just had a quick google though and I'm having trouble finding anything to back this up.

Edit: I've done some more reading and I don't think I know enough on this subject to hold a proper opinion. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Last edited:
If the Asmarids and the Irbisids make an alliance to protect against their common enemy, the Bataids from exerting too much influence in the Mediterranean and taking over Egypt, they could keep the Bataids in check for sometime.

The unintended side effects of an alliance might allow the Irbisids or their successors to take part in the Blossoming as well and develop a liking for New World goods and for Persian culture to have greater influence, think Persian carpets in Danin, etc.
It's safe to say that the Persians, as well as other groups like Arabs, Zanj, or Naimans in Dar-al-Islam will make their marks in the Blossoming, since it really seems that it's just the medieval Islamic Golden Age (Is it really a defined period if it never ended....?) compounded by increasing globalization and trade across all Muslim nations, regardless of any political affiliations.

Therefore, I think it's certainly possible that the Otomi Emir might take a liking towards Persian goods or other Old World items in the Hajj, which might spur trends towards acquiring even more goods from places like China, Rumaniyah, Persia, or India amongst the Otomi/Arabo-Otomi elite (Royalty tends to be the trendsetters most of the time...). The same could definitely happen with the Persians receiving goods like chocolate, vanilla, or other goods from the Algarves.

Persia really is a wild card though politically due to the state of the Irbisid Khanate, especially after the Khan's death. While I do think the Bataids could be kept in check for a time by both powers even without an alliance, we don't even know if the Irbisids will survive, since they can easily follow the path of the Afsharids or the Timurids and collapse in a relatively short time.

Regardless of what sort of Persia will emerge by the end of it all, there might be a pronounced increase of Persian migration as a result of the political instability in the region, which is honestly be one of the most interesting prospects about this next period: an increase in the movement of people, whether voluntarily or involuntary (quite sadly) in the case of the Persians, since the world is so much more connected in this timeline. An early and more pronounced Persian diaspora towards places like the Nimanni Sultanate or even in Al-Andalus and the Otomi Alliance could spread Persian culture far wider and leave a more lasting influence than in OTL.

Last edited:
Regardless of what sort of Persia will emerge by the end of it all, there might be a pronounced increase of Persian migration as a result of the political instability in the region, which is honestly be one of the most interesting prospects about this next period: an increase in the movement of people, whether voluntarily or involuntary (quite sadly) in the case of the Persians, since the world is so much more connected in this timeline. An early and more pronounced Persian diaspora towards places like the Nimanni Sultanate or even in Al-Andalus and the Otomi Alliance could spread Persian culture far wider and leave a more lasting influence than in OTL.
Umm the thing if persian become the TTL equivalent of Lebanon-Syrians in the new world, briging shia islam and far different culture to the natives Hazimid and convert al-aqsa natives

Umm the thing if persian become the TTL equivalent of Lebanon-Syrians in the new world, briging shia islam and far different culture to the natives Hazimid and convert al-aqsa natives
Aren't Persians currently majority Sunni in OTL? There hasn't been a Shia dynasty like the Safavids in MiaJ yet, much less someone like Ismail that forced conversion on all of the Sunni Persians. So technically, they're not that schismatic yet, although that could change in the future.

Also I'd think that Persian immigrants would generally be a positive cultural influence on Al-Andalus and the rest of Western Islam, bringing Persian art, textiles, cuisine, books, and etc. It's just the matter of the culture clash that Western/Eastern Muslims have toward each other in terms of customs or cultural differences that would be the source of conflict between the two groups.

Last edited: