Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

Eastern Europe has black be a metal, representing iron, hence why black and red are together in the region. But yeah, red and purple doesn't go well together.

That and I'm not sure the proper vexillogy for ERE flags well to replicate the design beyond the double eagle on red.

I wanted the crescent moon to be black to represent the Abbasids, compared to the white Umayyad star.
Black on red, or the inverse, would work. So would black/purple or black/indigo.

And I have to concur that Bataid use of indigo/purple might be difficult due to the price of the purple dye.

indeed there are a lot of Marinid, Saadian and Wattasid banners that use white, green and especially blue as their main colours.
White/blue is a good color scheme too, that doesn't run into issues that red/purple does, and does not have the price problem of indigo/purple.

One interesting thought that I had about this question is whether MiaJ leaders would wear black clothing more often, since that became popular during the 16th Century, for both Christian and Muslim nations. Given how important white and black are in association with Islam at the moment (White for the Umayyads and Black for the Abbasids), we could see this be radically changed for Islamic Europe. Asmarid leaders might avoid wearing black clothing since it is an Abbasid color in favor of white while the Bataids would do the opposite. An interesting dichotomy could spring up where white, indigo, and green would be seen as Andalusian colors while black, red, and purple would be Roman colors.
Black became popular because, beside murex purple, it was the most expensive dye and the most difficult shade to consistently maintain through washes. It was a great way for the elites to show off their wealth.

Pastel and light colors like pink were considered to be for the poor because they look washed out and not as vivid.
Here's some resulting flags from the idea of 'official colors' for Andalus and Bataids...

View attachment 576263

Andalus flag

View attachment 576264

Bataids flag 1

View attachment 576265

Bataids flag 2

Not sure how how the 'crowned' thing from a couple pages back works
In my mind, "crowned with a crescent moon" means the crescent moon is above the eagle's double heads. Those examples put the crescent behind the eagle rather than crowning it.

Yeah, purple is too expensive to use for flags until synthetic dye is made.

Andalus Flag 2.png

Andalus Flag 3.png

Made two takes on the White/Blue color combo for the Andalus flag, while blue star on white background makes sense given it's technically the Umayyads in charge and they're associated with a pure white flag (insert surrender joke here). I like the symbolism of the white star on blue background, the white star of Western/Maliki Islam upon the blue sea.

Bataid Flag 3.png

Tried to mess around with the crescent moon and double headed eagle and stumbled on this eldritch/biblical angel like design like some Tengri worshiping Albania or something.

Bataid Flag 4.png

A more plain take for the Bataids' 'official' flag. Black for the Abassids.

... the star and crescent flags looks more like 'flags/symbols between the two branches of Sunni Islam' now if it's just the star and crescent flags competing...

Also, interesting contrasts between the white-blue vs black-red color choices...

Last edited:
Tried to mess around with the crescent moon and double headed eagle and stumbled on this eldritch/biblical angel like design like some Tengri worshiping Albania or somethin
Make sense, looks less an animal and artificial thing(would work better if done in arab caligraphy), looks like a weird albanian flag

Make sense, looks less an animal and artificial thing(would work better if done in arab caligraphy), looks like a weird albanian flag
Unfortunately, my program has no way to add other symbols but I am wondering if the Bataids would do Arabic calligraphy or Greek lettering. Also added a more Ottoman style flag for the Bataids.

Unfortunately, my program has no way to add other symbols but I am wondering if the Bataids would do Arabic calligraphy or Greek lettering. Also added a more Ottoman style flag for the Bataids.
I remember other people recommending to me when I made an attempt at a Bataid flag (Post #2656) to utilize Arabic calligraphy to represent the golden double-headed eagle, which would get around the iconography problem (Al-numbers, Post #2665). Combining that representation with a black crescent flag would make a pretty good national flag for the Bataid Empire during the period.

EDIT: It is apparently called zoomorphic calligraphy, and it is very popular in Arabic art. Very cool.

Last edited:
Indigo? My good sir that is straight up purple
Indigo is usually represented as either dark purple or a dark blue, depending on the dye involved, although natural indigo dye is more blue than purple. Considering how wealthy the Asmarids are and their monopoly on the indigo trade, they're well within their rights to use purple.

How old is zoomorphic callipgraphy? I've never seen an old/historical example of it
This is one of the few sources of information I could find on the subject:

Much of the examples are quite modern, but there are some from the 17th centuries or earlier that contain calligraphy pertaining to animals. It might develop earlier than OTL because of the Bataids, where artists go towards that route due to orthodox taboos instead of the Asmarids, which are loosening restrictions on aniconism.

Last edited:
given contact with the Far East, how strongs demand for silk within the empire?
Read previous chapter, seems start to become strong, for female and even some males are using it too, if anything i'll not surprised if Andalus start native silk production too in the future