Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

You know what would be awsome and might be possible in this timeline, Norse knotwork mixing with Islamic calligraphy.

What’s armor like?

OTL late Córdoba armor had become plate, I assume due to the wars fought, plate is at least used to an extent?

What’s armor like?

OTL late Córdoba armor had become plate, I assume due to the wars fought, plate is at least used to an extent?
I think in previous posts, Hats mentioned that Al-Andalus had the potential to utilize heavy plate armor early in the TL. In addition, other people were also discussing the possiblities of plate armor in Al-Andalus in future posts. Considering their primary enemies are Christian European powers like Romania, France, and Angland which sport plated heavy cavalry and infantry alongside their increase in wealth, makes plate armor very feasible for even a normal Asmarid crossbowmen or jazailer, in my opinion. Even fully plated faris knights are possible, although I don't know if Andalusi or Maghrebi are part of this class of troops, or if it's primarily made out of Siqlabi/Zanj slave soldiers.

As a result, I do think it's appropriate to look at OTL Spain or the Emirate of Granada for inspiration of what an Asmarid military would look like, being a weird fusion of those two cultures/militaries together. Al-Andalus probably models a Western European army more than any other Islamic nation, even the Bataids.

(and don't worry, I'm still drawing that fanart of Asmarid soldiers, stay tuned for that...)
-----
Another thing to note is how interesting Al-Andalus's cavalry evolves with blackpowder, especially once wheellocks and flintlocks are developed. Al-Andalus still uses a lot of light cavalry from the Maghrebi/Berbers compared to other European powers, using them as skirmishers to harass enemies, with the only parallel being the Bataid horse archers. With the adoption of more advanced firearms, we could see Andalusi or Maghrebi cavalry use pistols or jazails in the same manner alongside the javelin. They might also be one the first nations to completely abandon heavy armor in the face of blackpowder wielding Romanians, French, or the Romans (especially the Romans....), choosing to revert towards lighter forms of armor or simply abandoning them together.

I think in previous posts, Hats mentioned that Al-Andalus had the potential to utilize heavy plate armor early in the TL. In addition, other people were also discussing the possiblities of plate armor in Al-Andalus in future posts. Considering their primary enemies are Christian European powers like Romania, France, and Angland which sport plated heavy cavalry and infantry alongside their increase in wealth, makes plate armor very feasible for even a normal Asmarid crossbowmen or jazailer, in my opinion. Even fully plated faris knights are possible, although I don't know if Andalusi or Maghrebi are part of this class of troops, or if it's primarily made out of Siqlabi/Zanj slave soldiers.

As a result, I do think it's appropriate to look at OTL Spain or the Emirate of Granada for inspiration of what an Asmarid military would look like, being a weird fusion of those two cultures/militaries together. Al-Andalus probably models a Western European army more than any other Islamic nation, even the Bataids.

(and don't worry, I'm still drawing that fanart of Asmarid soldiers, stay tuned for that...)
-----
Another thing to note is how interesting Al-Andalus's cavalry evolves with blackpowder, especially once wheellocks and flintlocks are developed. Al-Andalus still uses a lot of light cavalry from the Maghrebi/Berbers compared to other European powers, using them as skirmishers to harass enemies, with the only parallel being the Bataid horse archers. With the adoption of more advanced firearms, we could see Andalusi or Maghrebi cavalry use pistols or jazails in the same manner alongside the javelin. They might also be one the first nations to completely abandon heavy armor in the face of blackpowder wielding Romanians, French, or the Romans (especially the Romans....), choosing to revert towards lighter forms of armor or simply abandoning them together.
That's why I picture Al Andulas by this time having more similar to the late era in many ways, when OTL it also took many western european influence even including elements of Baroque in Alhambra

Naturally due to a larger Al Andulas and its empire the pool should be much more diverse than it was OTL and it will evolve further

That's why I picture Al Andulas by this time having more similar to the late era in many ways, when OTL it also took many western european influence even including elements of Baroque in Alhambra

Naturally due to a larger Al Andulas and its empire the pool should be much more diverse than it was OTL and it will evolve further
IF anything andalusian, South french, north french, Rhomanoi and Italians all will evolved at pararel, the english too, as they're direct rivals and yeah, we could see Musketer like tactics by 1600 at the current pace

Culturally al Andulas will be fascinating, though I cited Al Hambra as an example for when fusion of Western European and Al Andulsian Architecture, a much bigger and wealthier Al Andulas, plus it’s colonies, will probably mean architecture, Al Cazars and Masjids are very diverse. Sophistication and elegance would likely vary.

Also what’s attire like? Of Al Andulas and Bataids

I feel like military wise while muskets will be widespread there is also still Gendarme heavy cavalry like in other european states.

How does tech compare with OTL

And despite the fact Al Andulas is pretty culturally distinct from Western Europe, has any state there done a “alliance with the infidels” type thing for realpolitik?

has any state there done a “alliance with the muslim” type thing for realpolitik?
fixed it
So far nope. mostly because both Muslim States and European nazarean ones are too to divergent, and rarelly would be...the only one might be if the italian states need andalusi help vs rhomanoi but i doubt it...

Culturally al Andulas will be fascinating, though I cited Al Hambra as an example for when fusion of Western European and Al Andulsian Architecture, a much bigger and wealthier Al Andulas, plus it’s colonies, will probably mean architecture, Al Cazars and Masjids are very diverse. Sophistication and elegance would likely vary.

Also what’s attire like? Of Al Andulas and Bataids

I feel like military wise while muskets will be widespread there is also still Gendarme heavy cavalry like in other european states.

How does tech compare with OTL

And despite the fact Al Andulas is pretty culturally distinct from Western Europe, has any state there done a “alliance with the infidels” type thing for realpolitik?
fixed it
So far nope. mostly because both Muslim States and European nazarean ones are too to divergent, and rarelly would be...the only one might be if the italian states need andalusi help vs rhomanoi but i doubt it...
There was an informal alliance with the Provencals/Romanians against France, but that's probably going to end now that France no longer shares a border with Iberia. I think that some of the Northern Kingdoms occasionally sided with the Andalusis against their rivals under certain circumstances.