Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

The Greeks: The Mediterranean is ours by timeless right! Let's show those Latins whose boss, and drive the Umayyads out of the most important body of water in the world!
The Iraqis: The Hindu heathen is resurgent in India, and the Ismailis are left to run rampant by the limp-wristed Mezinids! We must expand through the Indian Ocean, and drive the Umayyads out of the most important body of water in the world!
Techcically both postures are not contradictory, they could stylish themselves as the new and true heirs of Aléxandros ho Mégas and beating again the Indian Pagan and Trying to contenst the Middle Earth Sea from the Ummayds...

Also language questions, is greek being written in Arabic script now?
I think Hats mentioned that the Muslim Greeks are increasingly relying on the Arabic script to write the Greek language in post #1904. This is similar to the Turks when they developed an Arabic script derivative for their own language. Even with Arabic as an official language and the growth of the Greek Arabic script, I definitely think that the Greek language and the alphabet will survive or even be widely used in the Bataid Empire, enough to be seen as an unofficial equal status language/script due to how entrenched it is and used by both Christians and Muslims.

The Bataids are trying to be heirs to both the Romans and the Abbasids. IMO this would lead to bit of split-personality.

The Greeks: The Mediterranean is ours by timeless right! Let's show those Latins whose boss, and drive the Umayyads out of the most important body of water in the world!
The Iraqis: The Hindu heathen is resurgent in India, and the Ismailis are left to run rampant by the limp-wristed Mezinids! We must expand through the Indian Ocean, and drive the Umayyads out of the most important body of water in the world!
I agree with Nivek in that these aren't exactly contradictory positions for the Empire to take, and they can certainly take on Hungary, the Mezinids, or the Asmarids comfortably in several protracted campaigns. They've got excellent leadership so far and we might see a great Kaysar in the 1500s that could rival the likes of Augustus, Trajan, Justinian, or OTL Suleiman.
-----
Speaking of more speculations on the Roman Empire, what are even the primary titles of the Emperor? We know that Fasiliyus (Basileus) and Kaysar (Kaisar) are used, but do the Emperors still go by "Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans"?

Also, given their conservative and militant nature, the Bataid Emperor might dress really plain and boring compared to the overtly flowery Asmarid Hajibs or the jewelry studded Eastern Romans of old. Probably more like Basil II instead of Justinian, but with way less gold.

EDIT: Moved my speculations to the bottom and added a comment on the Bataid Emperor's fashion.

Last edited:
Techcically both postures are not contradictory, they could stylish themselves as the new and true heirs of Aléxandros ho Mégas and beating again the Indian Pagan and Trying to contenst the Middle Earth Sea from the Ummayds...
Well yeah, it's definitely possible to do both if you can raise the appropriate fundi-- *is poisoned, stabbed, pushed down stairs*
I mean even into the late 1700s the Egyptian Mamluks were fomenting rebellion against the Ottomans. Whether land stays with taxpaying smallholders, variable middle-class ayans, or or tax-dodging dynatoi could be a serious issue

Speaking of more speculations on the Roman Empire, what are even the primary titles of the Emperor? We know that Fasiliyus (Basileus) and Kaysar (Kaisar) are used, but do the Emperors still go by "Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans"?
Judging by the Ottoman example, probably a list of all the realms they hold. And for every Roman formulation like "Autokrator" they use, they'd probably have one Abbasid formulation, extending the list even more possibly

God a polandball map of MIAJ would be so awesome
Modern day or 'in universe historical based comics'

Cause I imagine Andalusball's changing governments to be less 'replaced by someone else' and more 'change of clothes' given that the Umayyad Caliph is still technically in charge.

While we're waiting for ACT IX, I've been busy trying to come up with a design for the Bataid troops since the hype train for the Romans is pretty high right now:
Bataid Jazailler (Legionnaire?)

Bataid Jazailer c. 16th Century w/ a military banner

I am definitely hyperventilating at the thought of the Bataids potentially bringing back the Roman Legion as an elite cadre of warriors, most likely jazailers, since the Romans are transitioning from a mainly defensive army to a versatile mobile army capable of conquest. Also, if there's any nation that revolutionizes blackpowder tactics like introducing tercio tactics and combined arms, it'd probably be the Bataids, due to their use of halberdiers/spearmen, field tanins, and jazails in conjunction.

While we're waiting for ACT IX, I've been busy trying to come up with a design for the Bataid troops since the hype train for the Romans is pretty high right now:View attachment 573968
Bataid Jazailer c. 16th Century w/ a military banner

I am definitely hyperventilating at the thought of the Bataids potentially bringing back the Roman Legion as an elite cadre of warriors, most likely jazailers, since the Romans are transitioning from a mainly defensive army to a versatile mobile army capable of conquest. Also, if there's any nation that revolutionizes blackpowder tactics like introducing tercio tactics and combined arms, it'd probably be the Bataids, due to their use of halberdiers/spearmen, field tanins, and jazails in conjunction.
Looks cool. I'm also wondering if they will bring back the Praetorians as an elite force. With black armor and the best guns one can get.
Can you please draw an Asmarid soldier?

Sure, although my endgame is surely the Otomi Alliance, because trying to imagine what Mesoamerican warriors look like in metal armor is definitely cool
By sheer strategy..i could see otomi ditching metal armour and being the one going all gunpodwer weapons, unlike europe, there few native polities use metal weapon even less armour, meaning not much need into invesment those, but going all gunpodwer and calvary they've measure their rivals would not overcome per years, decades even, we could see otomi becoming a native black army if well manage.

By sheer strategy..i could see otomi ditching metal armour and being the one going all gunpodwer weapons, unlike europe, there few native polities use metal weapon even less armour, meaning not much need into invesment those, but going all gunpodwer and calvary they've measure their rivals would not overcome per years, decades even, we could see otomi becoming a native black army if well manage.
That's fair, metal armor often fares poorly compared to cloth armor, especially full mail/plate in Mesoamerican/African climates, although I don't think elite warriors like heavy cavalry/infantry will abandon using something like Asmarid-made plate armor or a cuirass. I think the rank and file infantry and light cavalry will continue to use padded cotton armor or robes, like ichcahuipilli since it's still fairly effective against both Mesoamerican and Berber foes. Even obsidian weaponry could continue to be standard weapons of the early 1500s Otomi Alliance, although I think the transition to using metal spears/swords, as well as blackpowder weapons will eventually happen, although we won't know how fast they will construct facilities to construct such weapons.

The most revolutionary thing to this new Otomi army in my opinion is honestly mentality. Much of Mesoamerican warfare was based on capturing captives and making intimidating displays to establish hegemony. However, the influence of Andalusi-Maghrebi military advisors is inevitably going to leak to the Otomi military. There's no need for captives purely for sacrifice because of Islam and it's always better to conquer land than to leave it to an untrustworthy vassal. It's similar to the military reforms of Shaka in a way, since South African tribes were also similar in mentality, relying on intimidation instead of actually killing people. Once Shaka introduced his new army with a thirst for blood, those tribes were doomed from the start, allowing him to carve up the Zulu Kingdom. I see the Otomi doing the same thing to their neighbors, their biggest enemy being the Chichimeca and their kishafas. Once they're conquered, they've basically claimed the entire California-Texas region of the Algarves to themselves.

There's no need for captives purely for sacrifice because of Islam and it's always better to conquer land than to leave it to an untrustworthy vassal.
Yeah but much like African states at the times, Slavery will become the new force of bondage, not sacrifice but for that you need complete control of the defeated people and yeah very nice ideas how would the Otomi Expand.

Just realised something thinking about dogs, brought up the dog statue throats bring slit, reminds me of pigs, during the reconquista didn't they force pork into alot foods recipes here now opposite. First due to lax islam what is the view of pigs? Also how will iberian food and latin american food be affected know due to maybe no pork.

First due to lax islam what is the view of pigs? Also how will iberian food and latin american food be affected know due to maybe no pork.
Iberia is a good peninsula for Bovine and Goat production, so Pig would not be accepted, you need a region when meat is a luxury, like scandivania or australia, or even them Pig would be considere an emergency food than a regular one

brought up the dog statue throats bring slit
Those where griffons..a mythological animal but an animal nonetheless

Last edited:
Just realised something thinking about dogs, brought up the dog statue throats bring slit, reminds me of pigs, during the reconquista didn't they force pork into alot foods recipes here now opposite. First due to lax islam what is the view of pigs? Also how will iberian food and latin american food be affected know due to maybe no pork.
Christians still eat pork so foods like jamón, lard, bacon, or chicharrón exist, although the Muslim/Jewish population definitely won't eat it, regardless how liberal Al-Andalus is, so it's something that culturally defines the Mozarabic population there. Al-Andalus might even export its quality hams to Christian Europe for a profit from Christian merchants. Pork overall would be be seen as something as the "Christians and the Chinese eat".

As for Anawakian cuisine, much of pre-contact dishes like tacos, tamales, pupusas, atole, etc. will still exist, albeit with more beef, chicken, lamb, sheep or turkey instead of pork. Foods like amaranth and chia would be more common given how the Hizamids/Asmarids have not banned it and are on the process of introducing it into the Old World, so alegría would be insanely popular. Pulque consumption might drop because of Islamic dietary restrictions on alcohol but it could also survive or even thrive because of how liberal Andalusi are with alcoholic drinks, which could lead us into Anawak peoples making mezcal or even tequila. Chapulines, maguey worms, or other insects consumed in the Algarves definitely are a thing because the Maliki school allows it, which makes some good interactions between a Roman or Arab visitor into the Algarves. It would undoubtedly be influenced by Andalusi, Maghrebi, or even Sephardi-Mizrahi cuisine due to the dominance of Muslims and Jews in MiaJ.

Last edited: