Medieval America Mark III

The idea of the majority of America reuniting and being unambiguously American-ic/-ish/-like in culture, but NOT containing the original east coast homeland “America” started from, is deliciously ironic. I tend to unite my Americas from Atlantic to Rockies but this is far too good to not consider. :p :D
One of the things I really liked about White's America is the way it puts Ohio front in center. I am not an Ohioan, and I have no especial affection for it, but I do always feel that it has been denied its place in the sun. Arguably, its one of the prime reasons the Revolution was fought - its fertile soil, its central position (close to the East Coast and providing access to the Misissippi via the Ohio), its proximity to natural resources to be transformed into worked goods - and it was the prohibition of settlement in the Ohio Country that was at least partially responsible for the Revolution.

And then what happens? Why, nothing but that old coot makes the Louisiana Purchase, America Manifests its Destiny and opens so much land that Ohio doesn't even get enough time to fill up with the settlers that had been jonesing to homestead there for ~30 years. Well whatever, it does rise to become one of the more influential of the Midwestern States and through much of the 19th and 20th century, that could translate into real influence. From 1820 to 1920, it consistently ranked among the top 5 most populous states, and spent most of that time in the top 3. Sure it was largely rural (that Ohio Valley fertility tho), but it had a few mighty industrial and commercial centers of its own in Columbus, Toledo, Cincinnati, Cleveland. Sure they were overshadowed in the Midwest by the likes of Chicago and St Louis, and of course couldn't compare to the great ports of the East Coast, but they were respectably major cities in their own right, and in the case of Cleveland truly rose to the level of national importance. The State had a lot of promise.

So what happens next? The same rot that strikes the rest of the Midwest comes, the coal and steel industry declines, manufacturing in general declines. The cities of the Midwest, like a lot of the 2nd-rate or lower 1st rate cities across the country), they decline to 2nd or 3rd, a decline which continues to this day, seemingly with no hope for recovery in most cases. Ohio's not tremendously different from a lot of states, especially a lot of Midwestern states, but something about tis tremendous promise makes its fall from grace all the more tragic.

Like Napoleon did with France, White sought to resore Ohio to its "Natural Borders(tm"

The idea of the majority of America reuniting and being unambiguously American-ic/-ish/-like in culture, but NOT containing the original east coast homeland “America” started from, is deliciously ironic. I tend to unite my Americas from Atlantic to Rockies but this is far too good to not consider. :p :D
That would be ironic indeed. Here is how I would see it happening.
Cowboy Messiah unites the Cowboys and conquers all of America as well as Ontario and Quebec. He becomes the new President of the United States and the merchants and naval powers of the USA lose their dominance with the capital moved from Baltimore to somewhere in Ohio. The Cowboy Messiah spreads his faith across New Israelite and Nondenomist America slowly like the Islamic states did with Washington DC. turned into the Rome/Mecca of this new Americanist faith.

Eventually, the Buddhists, Scientologists, Mormons and New Agers are the first to break away followed by the Gulf and Deep South before the Atlantic Coast breaks away with the USA only controlling the Potomac perhaps. There's so many territorial combinations we could come up with.

I don't think that's necessary. Abrahamic religion would have been around for over 3000 years by this point, I think it would be perfectly fine to shake things up.
I think they still got a few more millenia on those tires. Like it or not, the Abrahamics managed to strike upon a really good formula. Stuff like a true New Israelism ("Messianic New Israelism"?) lays the groundwork for the development of truly new traditions, but for now I think that thread still needs to be there

Regardless, it's beyond the scope of this project.

tehskyman

Banned
Or maybe the Cowboy Messiah, leads the cowboys to a disaster against a coalition of Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi etc, and they are slaughtered to a man by lancers. Ohio-Illinois then unites the rest of the Heartland and in order to defeat the cowboy threat once and for all, conquers the Rizinni Family, subjugates the Dakotans and ends the American Warring States period.

I think they still got a few more millenia on those tires. Like it or not, the Abrahamics managed to strike upon a really good formula. Stuff like a true New Israelism ("Messianic New Israelism"?) lays the groundwork for the development of truly new traditions, but for now I think that thread still needs to be there

Regardless, it's beyond the scope of this project.
Fair enough. We should finish the Atlas first and then bother on what comes next.

Or maybe the Cowboy Messiah, leads the cowboys to a disaster against a coalition of Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi etc, and they are slaughtered to a man by lancers. Ohio-Illinois then unites the rest of the Heartland and in order to defeat the cowboy threat once and for all, conquers the Rizinni Family, subjugates the Dakotans and ends the American Warring States period.
Can't do our man White like that!! The Cowboys are the first people he wrote about. Surely they are destined for greatness.

Maybe the US allies with the Messiah With No Name against the Midwestern states, after the Governor of Ohio installs his own Chief Justice and creates a religious schism by proclaiming himself President (Anti-President?) Eventually, things fall apart after the US realizes that they gave a bunch of savages free roam over the Heartland, much to the delight of the Messiah.

Maybe the US allies with the Messiah With No Name against the Midwestern states, after the Governor of Ohio installs his own Chief Justice and creates a religious schism by proclaiming himself President (Anti-President?) Eventually, things fall apart after the US realizes that they gave a bunch of savages free roam over the Heartland, much to the delight of the Messiah.
Ooh, the Cowboy Messiah could present himself or be interpreted as the Veiled Prophet to St. Louis.

So, it was already stated that the Burning Man Festivals ended a few centuries ago, but out of curiosity, was it ever said what the New Agers thought about the time-honored tradition of burning the Zozobra?

We have detailed maps of the Salish-Sea, Alaska, California, Utah and Dineh. Stitch them together for a high-res map
Well they're not all to the same projection, and are all of very different styles Plus, there's still a gap there in the form of the Great Basin, Colorado, and Jefferson/the Willamette Valley.

tehskyman

Banned
Well they're not all to the same projection, and are all of very different styles Plus, there's still a gap there in the form of the Great Basin, Colorado, and Jefferson/the Willamette Valley.
Fair enough.

Though I'm not sure what there is to map in the Great Basin. Trade routes, minor towns and fortresses?

Fair enough.

Though I'm not sure what there is to map in the Great Basin. Trade routes, minor towns and fortresses?
And potentially tribal affiliations territories, though that is difficult and I've skirted round the problem by just vaguely writing "New Age Shepherds" or "Athabaskan Tribes"