Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWLHRnP.png

WIP no IE invasion scenario i've been working on for the last month or so. premise is "all the PIE groups get zapped out of existence before they migrate out of the Pontic steppe, and also the Sahara stays green somehow and the Arabian Peninsula is too". obviously there's a heavy dose of fantasy and possibly a couple ahistorical anachronisms involved

highlights:
- the Siwuan cultures in Eastern Europe are known for ritualistically burning their settlements after 1-2 generations of habitation then settling someplace else. they are slowly driving themselves west, where they've came into violent contact with the Khuradenians, leaving a belt of torched villages behind them
- the Tszet Qiyandom, a multiethnic *khanate with a Yeniseian elite, has overran many of the Indus Valley states, causing fusion of the Indus (here I'm going with the Dravidian hypothesis) culture and Siberian nomadic culture
- the empire of Laamn in northern West Africa has split in two, with the former elite of the Sinen having migrated east, ruling the upper Niger River area, while the greater half controls the fertile lake and coastal regions and is ruled by Mande kings.
- a hybrid Berber-Basque culture in Morocco in a culturally rich complex of city-states
- the pre-greek Minoans thrive, and overpopulation has led to Minoan colonies being founded as far away as the Atlantic coast
- Egypt has fragmented a bit, and the warring states threaten to come under the influence of the Arabian peninsulan powers
I'd love to see a scenario like this make it into the modern world.

SWLHRnP.png

WIP no IE invasion scenario i've been working on for the last month or so. premise is "all the PIE groups get zapped out of existence before they migrate out of the Pontic steppe, and also the Sahara stays green somehow and the Arabian Peninsula is too". obviously there's a heavy dose of fantasy and possibly a couple ahistorical anachronisms involved

highlights:
- the Siwuan cultures in Eastern Europe are known for ritualistically burning their settlements after 1-2 generations of habitation then settling someplace else. they are slowly driving themselves west, where they've came into violent contact with the Khuradenians, leaving a belt of torched villages behind them
- the Tszet Qiyandom, a multiethnic *khanate with a Yeniseian elite, has overran many of the Indus Valley states, causing fusion of the Indus (here I'm going with the Dravidian hypothesis) culture and Siberian nomadic culture
- the empire of Laamn in northern West Africa has split in two, with the former elite of the Sinen having migrated east, ruling the upper Niger River area, while the greater half controls the fertile lake and coastal regions and is ruled by Mande kings.
- a hybrid Berber-Basque culture in Morocco in a culturally rich complex of city-states
- the pre-greek Minoans thrive, and overpopulation has led to Minoan colonies being founded as far away as the Atlantic coast
- Egypt has fragmented a bit, and the warring states threaten to come under the influence of the Arabian peninsulan powers
Whats does the rest of the world look like?

it's also hard to read the countries names as well.

My entry for this month's edition of the B_Munro Cover Project, this time using an old Munro map, Khanates!

Thanks to @Baconheimer for being a wonderful host, and to @B_Munro for the OG map of course.

1598915621633.png

"For a hundred years, the Franks of the West searched for a great Christian King in the East: Prester John: the man who would come to repel the Saracen Hordes, who would be Rome's ally in the restoration of Christianity.

It is often said that God works in mysterious ways--and sure enough, the events that transpired in the 13th Century prove this. Prester John came to the West in the 13th Century, under the guise of one Hulagu Khan. Hulagu was born a Buddhist, but had adopted Christianity at the urging of his mother, the Nestorian Dowager of the Mongol Empire, Sorghaghtani. He rode into Iran as a Christian, sacked the Abbasid City of Baghdad, and allied himself to the crusaders in imposing the rule of Christianity over Saracen lands.

Hulagu's brother, Khagan Mongke, Khan of Khans ruled from Karakorum, deep within the Mongol heartlands. Though a Tengrist by conviction, he had long balanced the religious scales of the vast Mongol Empire: allowing the Christian Hulagu to rule in the West; the Buddhist Kublai to rule in the East; and the Tengrist Ariq to rule in the North. With his death in 1259, the Mongol Empire was thus plunged into civil war between the three brothers.

Kublai won a smashing victory against Ariq and declared himself Khagan. Hulagu swore fealty to Kublai, but operated autonomously--for the distances between Khanbaliq and the seat of the Nestorian Empire in Nisibis forbade the Buddhist Khagan from imposing his will on the West. Hulagu went on to extend his realm deep into the North German Plain, ending with a Mongol crossing of the English channel, and the destruction of the ailing Angevin line.

The brothers remained on amicable terms for all their life, but when they passed and past Mongol unity was forgotten, the now Buddhist, Chinese Kublaids envied the wealth of their Persian, Nestorian Hulaguid cousins. Envy grew into hatred, and by the 17th Century, Khan Ishamel IV of the Hulagu (Mongol name Esen) crowned himself Khagan of the Mongol Empire, and waged war against his cousin Entien (Mongol name Arghun).

Here, the House of Toloui was split in twain: the Kublaids ruled in the East as equal Khanates; the Chagatai and Blue Hordes betwixt the two giants. Ishamel's challenge was answered by the hooves of Chinese cataphracts, and the Hulaguid realm was destroyed. Eurasia was then struck by the Northern winds of Hyperborea in this inauspicious time: a little ice age fell upon the fields of Henan, and the Kublaids were robbed of their final victory amidst massive peasant revolts.

The descendants of Hulagu and Kublai regrouped to found a plethora of successor states. 2 centuries of anarchy, plague and starvation befell the Earth until the present day."
-Taken from the Chronicle of Fulin, 15th Year of Longyu

Ten Million Years A.D?
No, just a general ice age post apoc scenario that I largely created to have Switzerland Vs. Sealand and an "Amero-Bactrian Empire/Petraeid Persia" in the Middle East. All very silly.

10 MYAD map would be so insane it would probably have to be done in QBAM.

-Taken from the Chronicle of Fulin, 15th Year of Longyu

I heard from a interdimensional traveller to this TL that "15th Year of Longyu" was also the name of a historical work by a Far Shore Chinese historian whom employed quantitative research in dissecting the eventual fall of the Dacin Ulus.

Wasn’t Agadez controlled by France already in the 1890s? Seems like a lot of the European powers are toned down in this map actually- so you happen to have a blank base map?
The base map is omniatlas' maps:

Agadez was kind of a french vassal, but since they didn't have any permanent presence across the saharan desert, I chose to colour it as independent. They seem to be toned down because we're used to see lots of 1900 or 1914 maps that doesn't represent the real situation, only the de iure borders and states.

Mate
What the fuck.
And here I was thinking it would be hard to do better than XFE's map

Glad to see my work is paying off :coldsweat:

I mostly added a lot of stylistic elements, theres clearly a much better backstory to how the Mongols formed and some of the former states in XFE's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.