Map Thread XX

ROMANIA1952.png

Oh the things that I have the urge to make when I'm supposed to be doing work...

Link to the map

It is 1977 and Afro-Eurasia lays trampled under the European jackboot.

The German Empire

The restructuring of the world order after the Great War saw the German Empire assert itself as a truly global power. Though the transfer of a vast African empire of dense jungles and impenetrable climate was initially viewed as a strategic plunder, over the decades Mittelafrika has been shaped to the will of the German Reich. A scheme was devised to reshape central Africa into a new German heartland. This was the flooding of the Congo River Basin.

Though the German government continues to deny the deliberate displacement of the native African peoples as a central goal of the Congo Dam project, it nevertheless resulted in the destruction of what had been the homelands of thousands of millennia old cultures. Even native peoples outside of the river basin proper saw themselves expelled to several native “Homelands”. In recent years the German colonization of Mittelafrika has increasingly been labelled by human rights organizations as a genocide.

The Imperial Federation

The success of the Imperial Federation project saw the Anglos reach new heights of global dominance. The British Empire was transformed into a tiered hierarchy of Imperial control during the acts of imperial reorganization acts of the 1920s Member states of the Imperial Federation send representatives to the Imperial Parliament in London while maintaining power over local governance within their state.

With the exception of contributions to the Imperial Armed Forces and a Westminster veto, Imperial territories outside of the Federation have seen substantial increases in self-governance, with the Dominions possessing nearly unlimited legislative authority. The Imperial Protectorates, despite being De Jure autonomous, are totally governed by the Imperial System, as evidenced by the brutal reprisals carried out during the failed Persian Revolution of 1956.

The Partition of China

Despite thousands of years of Imperial Hegemony, the collapse of the Qing Empire in 1911 signaled the start of the collapse of native Han rule in East Asia. The Conference of Shanghai put an end to the decades of brutal civil war during the Warlord era, with China being divided up by the Great Powers. As the leading Power the Imperial Federation asserted its control over much of the Yangtze basin while Germany seized most of the Northeast. The secondary powers took the periphery scraps wherever they could.

The Beginning of the End for the European World System?

Though the European world order has been hailed by its proponents as the natural state of being for the world growing instability in the colonies have shaken the system to its core. The rising cost in blood and treasury of keeping the native population in check has fuelled calls for colonial downsizing by the electorates of European Powers'. Most of this sentiment is still focused on the increasing brutality of the fighting in China.

With the Ethiopian insurrection having broken the back of the Italian army in several key engagements the invincibility of the Europeans has been dispelled. With the Italian’s withdrawal from Ethiopia expected to be completed by the end of the Year it remains to be seen how much longer the boot of European oppression will lie heavy.​

In recent years the German colonization of Mittelafrika has increasingly been labelled by human rights organizations as a genocide.
In recent years the quacking bird that waddles and swims and has duckings for children has been labeled a duck by animal watching organizations.

More seriously, it is good to see someone avoid both the "The Kaiserreich was pure and kind" myth and the "Imperial Germany was Nazi Germany with a better moustache" myth simultaneously.

The restructuring of the world order after the Great War saw the German Empire assert itself as a truly global power.

The success of the Imperial Federation project saw the Anglos reach new heights of global dominance.
Were Germany and Britain on the same side or did Britain adopt these reforms to recoup after defeat by the Germans?

With the Ethiopian insurrection having broken the back of the Italian army in several key engagements the invincibility of the Europeans has been dispelled.
Well, good to know this world might get at least a little better soon.

Isn't there a shitmap post thread around here?

Two Economic Titans - What if Russia wasn't screwed by the 20th Century

Tackled an idea I've had for a long time (with my memory being jogged by the TFS timeline). Basically, what if Russia isn't screwed over by all the catastrophes it went through during the 20th century - WW1, the civil war, WW2 etc. Essentially, Russia continues to industrialise, and with a much larger population than OTL, is able to economically challenge the US by the late 1960s.

On reddit
On DA

UopON3q.jpg

isot thing i made of my home state (minnesota) to a virgin earth
the tan is not united, it is a sea of bordergore and independent farmer towns that i don't want to draw out
the lines in the tan are the big states influence over the farming towns
if you have any questions or want to know what the states are, dont hesitate to ask
View attachment 647550
Did it happen on a Sunday before July 2017? Thousands of residents could be lost tryin to buy beer in Wisconsin.

Based on the idea of these maps ( ), which I am sure I first came across on this web-site, I made a similar swapping for Europe and Africa.
(Sorry it's not v good, I did try).
I don't think it works for Europe-Africa because the shape is so different.

I'd try flip flopping Eurasia instead. With Scandinavia being East Siberia, the British Isles being Japan, Denmark being Korea, and going from there.

Tackled an idea I've had for a long time (with my memory being jogged by the TFS timeline). Basically, what if Russia isn't screwed over by all the catastrophes it went through during the 20th century

Very cool! Although given it's grievously messed up politics and high levels of poverty and illiteracy in 1914, I'm a little uncertain that Russia would be seriously challenging the US as Worlds Top Economy by 1968: I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect half a century of steady and accelerating growth without the occasional sharp setback. A 3-2 numerical advantage isn't the same as OTL China's better than 4-1 advantage, too.

(Not saying this is ASB, but it's definitely in Best-Case scenario territory for a "no world wars" situation).

BTW, what happened with Russian Poland?

Very cool! Although given it's grievously messed up politics and high levels of poverty and illiteracy in 1914, I'm a little uncertain that Russia would be seriously challenging the US as Worlds Top Economy by 1968: I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect half a century of steady and accelerating growth without the occasional sharp setback. A 3-2 numerical advantage isn't the same as OTL China's better than 4-1 advantage, too.

(Not saying this is ASB, but it's definitely in Best-Case scenario territory for a "no world wars" situation).

BTW, what happened with Russian Poland?

Thanks! Yeah this is definitely on the more optimistic end of what is possible. I tried to basically make a Russia wank that stayed within the bounds of plausibility. In general, the country roughly matches Japan's growth as they had done up to that point, is similar to or just slightly ahead of OTL Soviet growth (mostly due to avoiding civil war and world wars), while having a whole lot more people because of the lack of those wars.

As for Poland, I thought given Polish nationalism being a constant problem for Russia they could eventually gain their 'independence' (while remaining under significant Russian influence), but honestly that's not really something I know much about so that may not be right

A Thousand and One Years- An Islam-Dominated World circa 1900

El Cid converts to Islam and conquers Castille, resulting in Castille becoming an Islamic State. Genghis Khan never unifies the Mongols, a later Mongol leader rampages across Europe, burning Rome. The Middle East remains the center of global civilization, while the Americas are colonized by the Berber Empire/Tamazigha (successor to the Almohad Caliphate), the Malian Empire, and Castille. The Mamluks form the basis of the Egyptian nation state, which expands into Africa. Iran is the analogue of the United Kingdom- a maritime nation which becomes the world's leading superpower- after conquering Oman and Zanzibar, it expands heavily into Africa and conquers India. Among Iran's colonies are Australia, Taiwan, Hawaii, Iceland, Scotland, Jamaica, Tierra del Fuego, and Norway. This map portrays the Iranian, Malian, Berber, Seljuk, and Egyptian Empires at their respective heights, prior to decolonization and various wars of independence. The Jurchens retain political independence and linguistic/cultural distinctiveness from China and colonize Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
islamifiedworldmap2.jpg

The year is 501. It has been a century since the Orcs stormed in from the eastern periphery, and overran the Old Empire. With them came plague, which combined with famine, drought, and massacre to wipe out a third of the population of western Ovaicaea. The resulting power vacuum caused the emergence and consolidation of several feudal and tribal kingdoms. Most prominent among them are the dwarven kingdoms of Eldorei, Lilhadorei, and Lithuar. Much of the northern part of the former empire was annexed directly to the Orc Khaganate, seizing the best grazing land for their own use. To the northwest, the colonial sun elves were forced to make compact with the indigenous moon elves for their own defense, forming the Domain of Vilyaafana. The ancient gnomish kingdom of Balendor was reduced to a rump state in the rocky peninsula. In the year 500 on the western coast, several elven city-states and freeholds signed a treaty, uniting to form the Eldunari League, named for the river which bounds it and has long served as the heart of elven civilization.

In the chaotic century following the disappearance of the dragons, war erupted in the empires beyond the Tethar Mountains, which had formerly been tributary to the empire out of fear of superior air power. Gestrin made peace with Tethar to launch a new attack on Kaiser and Aendrilad, though this uneasy alliance would not last long...

501.png