Map Thread XX

NA 1900 v2.png

I've continued working on my map of North America, especially after the decision to keep independent Cali and Texas caused a bit of blowback in my TL. I corrected the California-Mexico border (it now runs along the Colorado), significantly improved the borders of the Plains states (I mean, I did essentially just recreate the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas), and also portrayed border changes in favor of the US at a later date. I'm still on the fence on whether or not the US would (or could) annex Cuba in a scenario where it fails to win the Texan War.

What happened here, exactly?
Accusations that the US losing the war was essentially ASB, with the long term independence of both Cali and Texas treated much the same way. I don't personally agree with the idea that American conquest was inevitable, but border changes do seem likely, especially considering that the regions with changes remained very sparsely inhabited.

Accusations that the US losing the war was essentially ASB, with the long term independence of both Cali and Texas treated much the same way. I don't personally agree with the idea that American conquest was inevitable, but border changes do seem likely, especially considering that the regions with changes remained very sparsely inhabited.
Yeah. Just stick with your guns, especially on Cali and Texas. I do like TLs where they remain independent

So as it looks like the entire map is to big, so I'll upload the Old and New world separately. I'm not really sure myself what year it is... I think maybe around the late 700s/early 800s? The whole idea at first was that Christianity stays as a Jewish cult, that Rome didn't fall as much but turned into something like the HRE (with Africa, Italia, Gallia, Illyria, Graecia and Taurica) and a somewhat united Germanic federation and that the migration period never happend. Why? Well I don't now really myself, but the map isn't meant to be 100% realistic. It isn't such a great map, but only as something that you can do in one whole days without giving that much interest in the plot.
1606692047633.png

And here's the New World
1606693441428.png

No Kingdom of Aragon and Catalonia. Never. That was a much later invention of a nazionalist archivist of the XX century. It was the Kingdom of Aragon

I... you do realize that that is the map of an alternate timeline and not real history yes? I am not sure of the point of divergence but it seems very early (Carolingian in fact) it is possible for such a naming scheme to be created in the time from the pod to the date of the map.

Last edited:
South-Caspian Confederation
South-Caspian Confederation.png

State from my new project "strangeee", in the process of being created. Maybe someone will be interested)

Hey, so I got really bored when I was in philosophy a few days ago. Now I'm in Ancient Culture and it's interesting but I can't focus so here you have it:

1606748797041.png

So, I made a bunch of boundaries loosely based on the hydrographic maps of France, so I made a sorta map of a Plantagenêt France. The key is kinda easy: each color corresponds to one ruler, and uh ... yeah, it would be like the 15th or 16th century. The pink and Red are direct Plantagenêt territories (bright red is direct Royal territory, with the court in Bordeaux, pink is Plantagenêt-Dreux, salmon is apanages for the siblings of the current monarch), purple is the Duchy of Vermandois-Normandy which is under a Valois-Plantagenêt. The sand territory is under the Abbey of Fontevraud which is obviously highly loyal to the royal family. Dark and dull blue are both Valois (Valois-Armagnac and Valois of Champagne, and the Valois have received the titles of Viceroys to appease the nobles that were still loyal to them). Green, turquoise and brown are different families. It's pretty "dumb" (like with no purpose or anything) so fee free to say how umb it is XD

The Canton of the Four Leagues/Raetia (aka a modest Graubünden/Romanshwank)

Woo finally got around to finishing this map, it took positively FOREVER to find all the needed Romansh toponyms for certain cities;; This is a Graubünden/Grisons/Grischun wank where Cuira/Chur doesn't burn down and stays predominantly Romansh through the Reformation, allowing it to stay more stable and become the lingua franca of the canton. In addition, they better hold off the Milanese and Austrians, letting them keep/make gains in the Valtellina, Vorarlberg, and Vinschgau. The gains in the north give the northern three leagues more population, and thus they feel more comfortable letting the Valtellina in as a fourth league.

As the "league of leagues in the greater [Swiss] league," Raetia embodies the idea of confederation to a greater degree than even its fellow cantons. Cuira/Chur is the capital for the canton as a whole but also as the capital for the League of God's House. The other leagues have their own capitals too: the Grey League at Glion/Ilanz, the Fifteen Jurisdictions at Davos/Tavau, and the Valtellina at Sondrio/Sonder. Within Switzerland, the leagues act in most cases as "quarter-cantons," acting as one bloc in some cases while being represented by four different people in others.

As a side note, I was very tempted to go all out with making the Raetians (and Swiss) more wanked than usual and give them more of Tyrol, a few valley in Lombardy, append Valais as a 5th league and Ticino as a 6th, but that would have been overkill probably;; At that point Raetia would have been more of a rival to the Swiss Confederacy and thus more ASB than this one is. Still, I might do an alt of that eventually...

Woo finally got around to finishing this map, it took positively FOREVER to find all the needed Romansh toponyms for certain cities;; This is a Graubünden/Grisons/Grischun wank where Cuira/Chur doesn't burn down and stays predominantly Romansh through the Reformation, allowing it to stay more stable and become the lingua franca of the canton. In addition, they better hold off the Milanese and Austrians, letting them keep/make gains in the Valtellina, Vorarlberg, and Vinschgau. The gains in the north give the northern three leagues more population, and thus they feel more comfortable letting the Valtellina in as a fourth league.

As the "league of leagues in the greater [Swiss] league," Raetia embodies the idea of confederation to a greater degree than even its fellow cantons. Cuira/Chur is the capital for the canton as a whole but also as the capital for the League of God's House. The other leagues have their own capitals too: the Grey League at Glion/Ilanz, the Fifteen Jurisdictions at Davos/Tavau, and the Valtellina at Sondrio/Sonder. Within Switzerland, the leagues act in most cases as "quarter-cantons," acting as one bloc in some cases while being represented by four different people in others.

As a side note, I was very tempted to go all out with making the Raetians (and Swiss) more wanked than usual and give them more of Tyrol, a few valley in Lombardy, append Valais as a 5th league and Ticino as a 6th, but that would have been overkill probably;; At that point Raetia would have been more of a rival to the Swiss Confederacy and thus more ASB than this one is. Still, I might do an alt of that eventually...

A Canton of Ossola, even? Based. :p

The Valsesia might do, too - since they have/had a very small independence movement.

Another independence movement wanted Switzerland to annex the whole of western Lombardy, too.

I'm somewhat concerned about the "league of leagues". There's some precedent in the Unterwalden, which sent representatives from each valley even from the signing of the original Pact of Brennan. But the formal advent of half-cantons doesn't happen until Appenzell's Catholic and Protestant bits divorced. The entire concept of "subfederalism" was somewhat sensitive during this period because of the large tracts of land that were effectively governed by proper cantons with limited representation (for example, Valais and Vaud, parts of what is now Ticino).

Your inclusion of Ticino and Valais as full and proper cantons indicates that this map happened after some sort of federal reformation (of the sort which OTL happened because of the Helvetic Republic and aftermath). But OTL, clauses against such things were added in the post-Napoleonic constitution precisely to make sure that such hanky-panky could never happen again. I'd imagine that the region would be admitted as several cantons rather than a single giant subfederalist blob.

And, of course, all that said, this is a gorgeous map and an amazing, well-thought-out scenario.

Another independence movement wanted Switzerland to annex the whole of western Lombardy, too.
I used to know that guy, then he got crazy. I think Valsesia as an independent canton would be a go.

Just a side note: Western Lombardia could be called Insubria, and include Eastern Piedmont too.
Eastern Lombardy on the other hand, would be called Orobia, and roughly correspond tho the provinces of Bergamo and Brescia.

Great map, by the way

I used to know that guy, then he got crazy. I think Valsesia as an independent canton would be a go.

Just a side note: Western Lombardia could be called Insubria, and include Eastern Piedmont too.
Eastern Lombardy on the other hand, would be called Orobia, and roughly correspond tho the provinces of Bergamo and Brescia.

Great map, by the way

Yeah I know that, I used a less vague term for the benefit of those around here that don't live anywhere south of the Alps and damn, you knew the Doma Nunch guy?

Still less of a nut than Paolo Sizzi. :p

It's kind of a shame, because I'd unironically support a "greater" Lombardy organized along federal lines, with membership in a wider Italian confederation. The old Lega Nord and their ilk basically poisoned the well of autonomism and federalism in Italy, alas. That's why I'm such a fan of AHs where the democrats and federalists of 1848 end up on top. :p

Grishin.png

Done with the map for my Viktor Grishin game in Crisis in the Kremlin. As I said earlier, I tried to keep the old Brezhnevist path alive. I had a modicum of economic liberalization, but zero political liberalization. I lost a few Warsaw Pact countries, but managed to keep the Cold War going.

That said, China is decidedly in the American camp and has fought a few minor border conflicts with me. I guess that the balance of GDP leans fairly strongly against me, though with my liberalizations the USSR is not as brittle as it was in the Brezhnev years. So, with my stable of colonies and slaves-sorry, I meant to say "fellow liberated proletariat of the world," I could keep a Cold War alive forever.

I figure the map is pretty obvious and doesn't need a key.

A Canton of Ossola, even? Based. :p

The Valsesia might do, too - since they have/had a very small independence movement.

Great map, by the way
The Swiss did hold Ossola for sometime, if things went their way we might have a bigger canton of Ticino or append it to Valais, but for now I'll settle for having it as a canton :p Besides, this is more centered on the Romansh anyways. That said, regarding Valsesia, they have no major passes that would connect it to Ossola. The closest is Valduggia which connects Borgosesia to Lake Orta, but I am wary of having a practical exclave like that, and I'm sure the Swiss would prefer to have more secure and strategic lands without having to hold major lowland cities. After all, many a conflict among the Swiss began over the balance of representation among the members, so I would be loathe to give them even mountainside cities like Como, Lecco, or Varese since they might drag the confederation into more squabbles over Italian vs German/French speakers, the Protestants vs the more populous Catholics of the Piedmont, etc.
I'm somewhat concerned about the "league of leagues". There's some precedent in the Unterwalden, which sent representatives from each valley even from the signing of the original Pact of Brennan. But the formal advent of half-cantons doesn't happen until Appenzell's Catholic and Protestant bits divorced. The entire concept of "subfederalism" was somewhat sensitive during this period because of the large tracts of land that were effectively governed by proper cantons with limited representation (for example, Valais and Vaud, parts of what is now Ticino).

Your inclusion of Ticino and Valais as full and proper cantons indicates that this map happened after some sort of federal reformation (of the sort which OTL happened because of the Helvetic Republic and aftermath). But OTL, clauses against such things were added in the post-Napoleonic constitution precisely to make sure that such hanky-panky could never happen again. I'd imagine that the region would be admitted as several cantons rather than a single giant subfederalist blob.

And, of course, all that said, this is a gorgeous map and an amazing, well-thought-out scenario.
I can see why it would be such an issue. In truth, I was wondering about that as well since I knew Nappy had done his thing and upturned the old order and made things neater borderwise in addition to give underrepresented communities more of a voice like Vaud and Ticino. I could waive it as "Napoleon (or some equivalent figure) did his thing but the provinces just settled a different way in the end." /shrug
The Four Leagues in this case would just be there as the megablob because... tradition I guess? The Swiss are, if anything, stubborn about their rights and traditions.

I'm glad the map was well received! This was an adventure in learning how to do neater forms of cartography, and I've poured quite a lot of work into researching it, so every like and comment is appreciated~<3

Yeah I know that, I used a less vague term for the benefit of those around here that don't live anywhere south of the Alps and damn, you knew the Doma Nunch guy?

Still less of a nut than Paolo Sizzi. :p

It's kind of a shame, because I'd unironically support a "greater" Lombardy organized along federal lines, with membership in a wider Italian confederation. The old Lega Nord and their ilk basically poisoned the well of autonomism and federalism in Italy, alas. That's why I'm such a fan of AHs where the democrats and federalists of 1848 end up on top. :p
Paolo Sizzi makes the Joker look sane*. But yeah, I personally knew the Doma Nunch guy. At the beginning, he was pretty OK, he organized cultural events and concerts of local artists in his restaurant, where I dined a couple of times and drunk a couple of beers. The Festival of Insubria was one of the first events I covered in my blog. He even translated the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker in the local Insubrian language, of which I still have a copy.
But then something happened, he got suckered into the local political right wing and he became more and more extreme, then he started hanging on with the conspiracists, (he Sizzied out, so to speak) and that's when I walked away.
It's sad, cause there was so much more than politics involved, at the beginning it was a genuine interest in the culture and history of the territory.
I count this as a great lost chance.

*But, on a purely ASB note, a timeline based on his rants just might look interesting. A Sizziwank?

Last edited: