Map Thread XX

Starforce

Banned
I made a flag map of the United States entirely based upon my own feelings and wants, not really meant to be realistic. It took 5 full hours to make this.

- California and New York are split up into several states

- Some native tribes are their own states (couldn't make all of them states since it would have been rather complicated / tedious to do)

- Florida is split up

- Lots of other new and alternate states

- Alaska and Hawaii aren't seen on this map

- Lots of straight lines due to laziness but imagine that isn't the case

- Credit goes to all the creators of the flags, I just found random ones I liked

HgEtyUU.jpg

I made a flag map of the United States entirely based upon my own feelings and wants, not really meant to be realistic. It took 5 full hours to make this.

- Some native tribes are their own states (couldn't make all of them states since it would have been rather complicated / tedious to do)

- Florida is split up

- Credit goes to all the creators of the flags, I just found random ones I liked

HgEtyUU.jpg
I'm a bit surprised that you didn't give the Navajo a state since they're one of the larger native tribes in the U.S.

And finally, my cover of Very Displaced for the Cover Project. I went a whole different direction and attempted to do a map set in OTL's future. Though obviously there are large differences, I have tried to retain some similarities (rather than a Nahuatal Eurasia, it is New Aztlan and rather than Iranic Southern Africa, it is Baha'i which began in Iran) which hopefully make sense. I was working on a timeline, but did not manage to finish it in time. I hope to finish it at some point in the near future.

If you have questions, please ask!

verydisplaced.png

Hello there miserable people, this is a cover of Royal Psycho’s Very Displaced as part of a contest. Feel free to check out other submissions and vote for which one you think is the best.

Here's my submission for the cover of RoyalPsycho's scenario Very Displaced, similar to Nizam's cover above.

And finally, my cover of Very Displaced for the Cover Project

Wild. Now I'm tempted to do my own semi-plausible version, but my productivity lately has been so low that it will be the best I can do to finish up something I have been working on for @Mr_Fanboy .

And finally, my cover of Very Displaced for the Cover Project. I went a whole different direction and attempted to do a map set in OTL's future. Though obviously there are large differences, I have tried to retain some similarities (rather than a Nahuatal Eurasia, it is New Aztlan and rather than Iranic Southern Africa, it is Baha'i which began in Iran) which hopefully make sense. I was working on a timeline, but did not manage to finish it in time. I hope to finish it at some point in the near future.

If you have questions, please ask!

View attachment 598929
This is art

1605186117733.png

Map from the last chapter of my chronology The Sun of Rocroi- A better Grand Condé.
The map shows the Kingdom of Spain and its dependencies in 1675.
To give you a brief summary of what happened:
Spain lost the entire Spanish Netherlands in 1643 after their defeat at Rocroi. At the end of the 25 Years' War (as well as the end of the 75 Years' War), Madrid crushed the Portuguese revolt and kept Lisbon under its thumb. Felipe IV died the same year and it was his wife, Elisabeth of France, who until 1650 was Regent of her son Carlos-Balthazar.
Carlos-Balthazar launched an expedition in 1665 against the barbarian coast.
If you have any questions I am ready to answer them, although I also advise you to read my timeline to understand. 🙂

Last edited:
Is it possible to merge the two, and get some sort of, dunno... Disneymark?
No, Denmark is much too flat and the weather is... well, Disney likes to have their parks in places where they can be open most of the year. Actually, given that all the Disney stuff in Florida is basically in to own city-county, they would be able to get most of their parks there in one building. Maybe put it in the Danish Virgin Islands, if it is returned to them. Anaheim, though? That should go right above Tivoli Gardens, one of Walt Disney’s biggest inspirations on how you could make a clean, quality theme park rather than ending up with something run by carnies.

- Florida is split up

Love to see my Massachusetts flag make an appearance, but I'm suing you for copyright infringement.

- Florida is split up

HgEtyUU.jpg
Going to be so many flag jokes in this world about Utah, Rhode Island, Greece, and Uruguay

- Florida is split up

How did you get all the flags to fit the state lines?

Starforce

Banned
How did you get all the flags to fit the state lines?
I used a blank map and paint.net. Used select tool to delete the color within the state boundary and use layers to make the flag appear on a layer underneath...then doing that 50-60 times...for 4 hours.

Love to see my Massachusetts flag make an appearance, but I'm suing you for copyright infringement.
Nice to meet one of the creators.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 10.36.42 AM.png

In 1906, the Emperor was visited by Abdurreshid Ibrahim, introduced simply as "A. Ibragimov", a Russian-born Tatar Muslim scholar. The meeting would be extraordinarily transformative: Ibragimov would soon join the imperial court as a special advisor to the Emperor, as well as a mentor in Islamic knowledge. The Emperor discovered an immediate fascination with the Quran and the teachings of Mohammad and Allah, and he delved deep into matters of doctrine, faith, and customs. He refrained from eating pork, he built a prayer room that faced west towards Mecca, and he respected the Ramadan. His conversion to Islam was the cause of much confusion and surprise among the members of the imperial court; but the Emperor had made his choice, and if he had chosen Islam, then so would Japan.

In 1907 the Emperor issued a fatwa, known to history as the Great Meiji Fatwa. Its message was simple: Japan, if it is to complete its journey into progress and modernization, must wholeheartedly embrace the Muslim faith, and direct its efforts to make it an integral part of Japanese culture and society. Hundreds upon hundreds of mosques were built, many high-ranking and respected imams and ulama from across the Islamic world were brought over, the import and production of haram foods was banned, the Quran became mandatory across schools, and elements of sharia law were implemented in Japanese jurisprudence.

Changes were slowly felt on the international scene. For Russia, the conversion of Japan to Islam was exceptionally bad news. There were fears that Russia would be blocked off on both ends by two Muslim powers, the other being the Ottomans. Indeed, Japan was critical of Russian opposition towards the Ottoman Empire, which became a close ally of Japan. The Japanese were also angered by the mistreatment and exploitation of Muslims under the imperialist yoke of Britain, France, and other such powers. By the time 1914 rolled around and the guns of war were set off, there was intense debate as to whether assisting the Entente was morally correct. Japan proclaimed a temporary neutrality, while evaluating its choices. This internal debate was immediately halted that December, when the Ottomans joined the war on the Central Powers' side. The military, religiously zealous faction that advocated for a holy war against the infidels of the West triumphed and by January 1915 Japan joined the war as an ally of Germany.

Japanese forces marched against British and French holdings in East Asia, including various Chinese cities, Hong Kong, and Macao. After seizing Vladivostok, the Japanese invaded the Russian Far East, moving up the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Inflicting a heavy defeat after breaking through Russian defenses in the Amur, Japanese troops would reach as far away as Irkutsk. Britain's Royal Navy would hound the Japanese fleet in the Pacific, leading to several heated engagements. However, geographic separation meant that British losses weren't easily replenished, and so naval officers employed their ships carefully. With Japanese support, German holdings in Papua New Guinea and some scattered islands were retained, sucking up a great number of Australian and New Zealander troops. The Japanese navy would slowly wear down local Entente forces, as the war in Europe reached a stalemate. The French were particularly vulnerable, leaving Indochina wide open for raiding incursions and naval bombing attacks.

1605236211058.png

Japanese charge the Russians at the Battle of Khabarovsk​

By the autumn of 1916, the combined pressure of German, Ottoman, and Japanese forces cracked Russia. A military coup unseated the Tsar and established a junta that signed peace with the Central Powers. At the negotiation table, Japan was ceded the totality of Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands. German forces quickly moved into the Russian heartland and silenced growing unrest, while providing safe passage for the Tsar into Germany proper. With the Eastern Front all but quiet, and with the United States unwilling to risk a two-front war in Europe and the Pacific, the Central Powers slammed with tremendous force against the Entente. The fall of France came in early 1918, and before long Britain had no choice but to enter the negotiation room.

The results were very unsavory for the Japanese. They had presented a plan which called for the annexation of a variety of colonial holdings in East Asia and the Pacific, which included Indochina, Malaya, Sarawak, Fiji, New Caledonia, and several smaller islands. The Germans, however, rebuked Japan's expansionist aspirations. Although the Kaiser was no enemy of Islam, and in many occasions he expressed his respect for the religion, his political influence had waned in favor of the military officers that had run the war. They saw Japan as a potential threat to their power, and many negative connotations still existed that portrayed the Japanese as racially and culturally inferior, let alone an equal, to the proud Prussian stock. Japan's rewards at the peace conference were limited to a few scrappy islands and trade concessions in Indochina and Hong Kong, which became German property.

End Part I

Last edited:
The Neo-Barbary Crisis
Barbary-Corsair.png

The Mediterranean - Neo-Barbary Crisis: 5 Years After the Picchiotti Incident

Published: July 19th, 2026
Author: Alan Herver​

Vanishing of the Picchiotti

On June 13th, 2026, the Picchiotti, the family yacht that disappeared from the coast of Southern Italy five years prior, was rediscovered by Greek Coast Guards drifting over the Aegean Sea. The revelation ignited the public once again, with the Italian Ministry of the Interior facing even more scrutiny for their indecisive history on the matter. In response, the authorities resumed the investigation after its retrieval to prevent further outcry, pooling more resources into the operation, and even collaborating with their Greek neighbors to put the pieces together.

Upon its discovery, they confidently concluded that it was hijacked; stripped of its mechanical parts and luxurious goods. And while the fate of the family and its crew remained unclear, trails of blood dried leading to the edge of the outer deck. Sharing similar details with recent events occurring throughout the Mediterranean Sea, they determined that the disappearance of the Picchiotti preceded the previous tragedy over Papanikolis, making it the first case to have occurred over the past five years.

2021 marked the year where the Mediterranean Sea is plunged into a chaotic mess. Being deprived of basic needs and driven by desperate necessities and cynical opportunism, the disappearance of the Picchiotti has ignited a series of illicit piracy throughout the entire sea. As keen observers of this geopolitical phenomenon grow in numbers, the series of kidnappings and illegal fishing will eventually lead them to coin the event with a term familiar to the Mediterranean history, one that once wreaks havoc across the entire shores of Southern Europe: the Neo-Barbary Crisis.

[Click here to read more!]

Europe in 1956 CE at the height of the Axis advance during the Second World War.
Blue-State of Frankia
Orange-Kingdom of Bohemia
Green-Magyar National Republic
Yellow-Trapezuntine Empie
Europa.png

I’ve been working on this project on and off for a few months. I recently got back into Europa Universalis IV and played a very enjoyable campaign as Milan. A few years into the game, I got the random event “Talented and Ambitious Daughter” granting my otherwise childless ruler a female heir with a 6/6/6 skill set (first time this has happened to me as well). Seeing as Filippo Maria Visconti had a baseborn daughter in real life named Bianca Maria, I rolled with it and proceeded to unify Northern Italy under the Visconti banner. As it's partially based on a computer game, the PoD isn't that strong, nor do I claim this to be a very plausible timeline. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it!

de8nr69-4c6af6d1-a751-41c1-a116-96d157bca06f.png

Excerpt from pages 46-47 of Palgrave's Concise Historical Atlas of Italy (2020):

The life and times of Bianca Maria Visconti were marred by triumphs and tragedies. A lifetime mirrored by the fate of the Milanese state in the wake of her death, at the ripe age of 76 in 1501. Although her astute stewardship had advanced Milanese hegemony well beyond the Po Valley (even surpassing the territorial accomplishments of her grandfather, Gian Galeazzo) she was also to be the final ruler of the Visconti dynasty, earning the epithet “the Last and the Greatest” by the scholarship of posterity.
Born out of wedlock to the Duke of Milan, Filippo Maria, and his mistress Agnese del Maino (the only woman whom the timid duke ever truly loved), Bianca Maria received an excellent humanist education, to which her mind and character were wholly suited. The duke doted on his natural daughter and gradually came to see her as a potential successor. Standing between the imposing martial figure of Gian Galeazzo and the golden age that would become the reign of Bianca Maria, modern historiography has always tended to portray Filippo Maria as an intermediary figure. However, without his decisive defeat of the Venetians in 1452, it is unlikely he would have gathered enough political capital to force through the elevation of his legitimised daughter to the line of succession. Indeed, the victory came none too soon. Three years later, the duke was dead.

In the confusion of 1455, Bianca Maria moved swiftly to outmanoeuvre her opponents. Beguiling the important condottiero Francesco Sforza into supporting her hand in marriage, the duchess seized the apparatus of state ahead of a nascent republican movement. When Sforza tried to force through the marriage, Bianca turned on him, had the general imprisoned and eventually executed. Over the next four decades, she ruled with “... the magnanimity of Augustus and the ruthlessness of Livia.” By aligning with the emperor, she garnered considerable authority on the Padan Plain, which she employed in bringing the Ligurian coast under her control in 1461. Five years later, the Venetians attempted to regain their losses in Lombardy, but was once again defeated by Milanese forces led by the brilliant “tourney captain” Andrea d'Alviano and the Piccinino brothers. With an incredible political sense, the Great Duchess subsequently expanded her domains across the length and breadth of Northern Italy, culminating with the submission of the Florentine Republic only a few short months before her death in early 1501.

Matrimony played an important part in renaissance politics and Bianca Maria would be wed and widowed thrice. However, her only son, Ercole, predeceased her in 1492, ostensibly of the plague, although contemporary sources indicate that he might have been poisoned by a cabale of Sforza supporters. As such, Bianca Maria’s death left the Duchy of Milan without a clear successor. As enemies of the state began to creep out of the woodwork, republican garrison commanders, university rectors and guild masters in the city of Milan acted decisively to prevent the imposition of a foreign prince. On Christmas Day 1501, the Archbishop of Milan, Giovannangelo Arcimboldi, proclaimed the establishment of the Golden Ambrosian Republic. For the next four years, the republican government did its best to fight off the League of Pesaro, a coalition of dispossessed princes and revanchist foreign powers led by the Papacy. At the forefront of the Milanese war effort was the condottiero, Allesandro Doria. The scion of an ancient Ligurian noble family, Doria decisively defeated the League navies off Corsica in 1505, bringing the war to a victorious end. His status as a war hero and a champion of the provinces propelled Allessandro to the top of the Ambrosian Republic, a position he exploited to the full when he abrogated the constitution and made himself Duke of Milan in 1507.